PDA

View Full Version : GM's HFV6

jball
03-02-2004, 12:43 AM
I'm contemplating a swap into my j-body. Several people have swaped in the L67, but I'm wanting something new, something different. GM's HFV6's post some pretty good numbers and the size and weight are decent enough to fit into my j-body (cavalier). What I'm wondering is if the LY7 (3.6L) with 260hp is worth swapping in, or should I wait it out for different versions of this platform? I've read that soon there will be a 3.8L version, manual tranny, and possibly all wheel drive??? any truth to this?

Thanks,
Jball

fpv_gtho
03-02-2004, 02:58 AM
GM and Holden are designing a large RWD platform that will be seen here in 2006 and elsewhere in 2007 that will use the HFV6. the platform will also be flexible enough to support an AWD drivetrain. in 2005 Holden will put the HFV6 in the commodore in 3.8L form but it will be considerable low tech compared to the 3.6L going into the Buick Rendezvous

jball
03-02-2004, 10:33 AM
GM and Holden are designing a large RWD platform that will be seen here in 2006 and elsewhere in 2007 that will use the HFV6. the platform will also be flexible enough to support an AWD drivetrain. in 2005 Holden will put the HFV6 in the commodore in 3.8L form but it will be considerable low tech compared to the 3.6L going into the Buick Rendezvous

Thanks for the quick reply. The 3.8L will be low tech? as in no variable value timings and all that jazz? Hhmm, would that make it easier to swap? I've also heard that there are plans for an HFV6 that will be Turbo friendly? Any truth to that?

Jball

fpv_gtho
03-02-2004, 11:36 PM
by low tech i mean it will miss out on the full VVT, VLT and VLIR (variable length intake runner), i believe it will only get VVT on the intake cam but thats not to say all 3.8L's will be like that, just the version Holden want to use (i think theres almost 20 possible variants). the whole range of HFV6's is i guess considered turbo friendly as i believe Saab want to use a low displacement turbo version and ive heard Alfa Romeo being mentioned with a turbo HFV6 as well

jball
03-03-2004, 12:51 AM
hhmm, sounds like time will only tell what the HFV6 has in store.. sure does sound like a good platform though. My Cavy's 2.4 is JUST about to bite it, well to fit the engine will be a good $600 and that will leave me an engine with 93,000 miles and $600 in the hole just to keep her running. It just seems like now would be the perfect time for a swap if I every wanted to do it. I think that the 3.6L LY7 has alot more capablity than an L67, not including the fact that it would be easier to fit in a cavalier :)

fpv_gtho
03-03-2004, 04:27 AM
well ive got no knowledge at all of the Cavalier or those engine codes you were quoting, but u said it had a 2.4, so from that i'd say the most suitable swap to an HFV6 would be to the 2.8L unit......but as i said i dont know anythign about the cavalier so you might have a bit of heartache gettin a V6 in there from what sounds like its being occupied by a 4

jball
03-03-2004, 12:37 PM
Sorry, i should have explained them better :)
The L67 is GM's 3.8L Series II Supercharged engine. There have been, i think, 2 swapped into cavalier's with new subframes and fabbed mounts. The 3.4 is said to drop in with very little fabrication so I'm not to worried about fitment, as long as the 3.6L is smaller than the 3.8 Series II SC (Which is supercharged and still only makes 260HP compared to the HFV6 3.6L with 260HP that isnt supercharged)

fpv_gtho
03-03-2004, 10:34 PM
hte L67 then would be the V6 Holden sticks in its commodore S supercharged then. i think the only thing it gets credit for is its low down torque as alot of people dislike it for its harshness and unrefinement. the engine is also outclassed here by the naturally aspirated straight 6 used by ford in the falcon.

Nildo
03-07-2004, 08:44 AM
That motor, in my experience, is rubbish! Only people who refuse to consider an alternative to Holden would buy such an agricultural pile of crap! Harsh is far to kind a word to relate to it!
I had an aquaintance who bought a VX s/c 3.8. He was very proud of it and was keen to 'change my view' of the Commodore range. In the end he reinforced my belief that it is not well designed or well built. Of course this is just my experience, but I certainly would never go back.