PDA

View Full Version : Corvair and DeTomaso PanteraGT5 ?!

Othix
05-01-2003, 04:18 PM
I was just at a car show like half an hour ago. I've never seen these two cars before:

Chevrolet Corvair and DeTomaso PanteraGT5

The corvair was stupid. It had the distributer cap, radiator, and intake(carburator) in the TRUNK and we didn't see any engine block... wierd. I think it was a 65. and I'm pretty friggen sure it was a convertible... actually. i KNOW it was a convertible. Tell me what you know about this car. is the engine itself in the front? and they put components in the back for better balancing?

THe Pantera was cooooool. I immediately recognized the italian body style, but when I took a peak under the hatch, w/ the huge wing, i discovered the logitudally mounted mid-engine Ford (427 maybe?) It looked cool as hell, and i'm sure it performed pretty well. Real low ground clearance. wide... the works. its posted in the archives on ultimatecarpage. take a look if you don't know it. Tell me about it if you don't. i love it.

henk4
05-02-2003, 09:41 AM
Ask Ralph Nader about the Corvair. Ever heard about the VW Beetle? Be aware that the Pantera is an Italian car and should not be dealt with here at all.

Othix
05-02-2003, 09:43 PM
it has an american engine.

henk4
05-03-2003, 01:03 AM
it might have french tires

ozexige
05-06-2003, 07:46 PM
Owned one - blue convertible - could be fast if pushed VERY hard. Glad I sold it! Think it had solid rubber tyres. Nader is a jerk.

henk4
05-06-2003, 11:30 PM
I agree that Nader is a jerk, but not because he pointed at the flaws in the first corvairs, but because he candidated for president, contributing to the coming to the white house of the jerk that is there now.

gow589
10-18-2004, 02:24 PM
Corvair was a rear engine car, Pantera was a mid engine car. Corvair was a mistake, Pantera is an awsome performance car. My Pantera has a 350+hp 351 Cleveland. Awsome car!
http://www.rc-tech.net/MGB/Pant/mypantb.jpg
Italian Style, Ford V8 muscle.

G

Esperante
10-18-2004, 02:52 PM
I love em' both. The corvair, although a mistake, was very good looking. I live in Cedarburg just outside milwaukee and there's a guy in my neighborhood who owns both a Pantera (with a tuned up racing bodykit, racing parts, etc...) and a DeLorean :D

gow589
10-19-2004, 01:25 PM
Dad had a Corvair, swapped ends on him twice under normal driving. Got rid of it as fast as he could. The Delorian's are cheap. They had V6's in them and concidered more of a novelty than a sports car.

Clunker
10-19-2004, 02:45 PM
I don't love the Corvair, just think it's an O.K. car. I do, however, love the Pantera! You have a nice one, gow589!

NAZCA C2
10-19-2004, 06:55 PM
The Corvair is a pile. The De Tomaso is one of the coolest looking cars ever.

sandwich
10-19-2004, 07:25 PM
Owned one - blue convertible - could be fast if pushed VERY hard. Glad I sold it! Think it had solid rubber tyres. Nader is a jerk.

i would give you as much rep as possible for ever if that were an option.

Seriously though, the corvair had a flat six in the trunk. Some of the later models had a turbo, all of which were air cooled (no radiator). They were neat cars, and had reasonable performance, and were not the end of the world as ralph nader said. Nader is a dick. Not even the green party backed him this year. Dick.

The pantera is a different beast. Italian but barely so. A ZF transaxle mounted to a 351W Ford engine. Solid, not spectacular, and full of quirks, but a very solid car, and I'd love to own one. The GTS-5 are probably the most desireable. Some people have added twin turbos, which makes the car (in)sane. Delicious.

thinker
10-19-2004, 09:51 PM
i saw a pantera on the road a couple months ago and all i remember is loud pipes and HUGE rear wheels

gow589
10-20-2004, 06:50 AM
I don't love the Corvair, just think it's an O.K. car. I do, however, love the Pantera! You have a nice one, gow589!

Thanks,

What other overpowerd Italian exotic can you buy parts for at Autozone and work on yourself. Even a simple task as putting new gaskets in the carb. A 1 hour job on a Holley. Standard rebuild kit from Autozone or Napa. I don't know what you'd do with a Ferrari or a Lambroghini.

Gary