PDA

View Full Version : Stoddart: Webber could be champioin

fpv_gtho
03-02-2004, 03:41 AM
in an interview today in the lead up for the GP on this weekend, Australian Minardi team owner Paul Stoddart said that his former recruit and fellow Aussie, Mark Webber could become champ in the following years if he goes to BMW-Williams once his contract is up with Jaguar. He said that there could be the possibility of an Australian once again being champion around 2006-2007. Mark Webber was also in Sydney's Circular Quay today woo-ing fans with a demonstration of the Jag R5 by pulling some burnouts and donuts on the sidewalk around the water

Ferrari Tifosi
03-02-2004, 09:26 AM
in an interview today in the lead up for the GP on this weekend, Australian Minardi team owner Paul Stoddart said that his former recruit and fellow Aussie, Mark Webber could become champ in the following years if he goes to BMW-Williams once his contract is up with Jaguar. He said that there could be the possibility of an Australian once again being champion around 2006-2007. Mark Webber was also in Sydney's Circular Quay today woo-ing fans with a demonstration of the Jag R5 by pulling some burnouts and donuts on the sidewalk around the water

Minardi is an italian team, not Australian

EvilPaladin
03-02-2004, 12:04 PM
Paul Stoddart is Australian.

Ferrari Tifosi
03-02-2004, 09:17 PM
Paul Stoddart is Australian.

Ok, I but the team is ITALIAN.

fpv_gtho
03-02-2004, 11:29 PM
you've misread it, its supposed to say that Paul Stoddart is Australian, not Minardi

Matra et Alpine
03-03-2004, 06:00 AM
you've misread it, its supposed to say that Paul Stoddart is Australian, not Minardi
It's one of the usual confusions of mult-national organsiation :)

Minardi is still an Italian team in F1 eyes.
If they ever win a race it will be the Italian national anthem. ( I know VERY unlikely )

GianCarlo is still director.

Paul put in his money to buy the team and keep it afloat and is president and CEO.

but .....

Stoddard is UK-based :)
His company - European Aviation - is erm, European :) :) an major sponsor.
His racing company - European Formula Racing Ltd - is in Ledbury, UK.
The Minardi facory is in Faenza, Italy.

I think claiming Minardi as an Australian team because of Paul is like the many claims we Scots have on successes around the world :)

Deckard
03-03-2004, 02:18 PM
It's one of the usual confusions of mult-national organsiation :)

Minardi is still an Italian team in F1 eyes.
If they ever win a race it will be the Italian national anthem. ( I know VERY unlikely )

GianCarlo is still director.

Paul put in his money to buy the team and keep it afloat and is president and CEO.

but .....

Stoddard is UK-based :)
His racing company - European Formula Racing Ltd - is in Ledbury, UK.
The Minardi facory is in Faenza, Italy.

I think claiming Minardi as an Australian team because of Paul is like the many claims we Scots have on successes around the world :)

I know it's completely confusing these days.

Noone questions that Ferrari is Italian, yet Jean Todt is French, Schumacher is German and Ross Brawn is British (I believe). A lot of the parts are made from all over the globe.

There is no such thing as a true national racing car anymore. Which is not necessary bad thing :)

crisis
03-03-2004, 04:48 PM
There is no such thing as a true national racing car anymore. Which is not necessary bad thing :)
Good call, piss nationalism off out of everything else and all we will have to worry about is religion.

crisis
03-03-2004, 04:52 PM
Your statement is fact.

Australian Minardi team owner Paul Stoddart
It says exactly what you mean. Ferrari Tifosi needs to read and comprehend before getting all defensive. Besides, who is going to get their undies in a bunch about Minardi.

Matra et Alpine
03-03-2004, 04:54 PM
Turns out the new major sponsor is a bath/shower manufacturer.

Does this mean the Minardi team will go down the plug hole ??

:)

fpv_gtho
03-03-2004, 10:18 PM
well Paul Stoddart's recently put Minardi in the news about something to do with the engine manufacturers. Apparently the suppliers aren't making it any easier for Jordan or Minardi to purchase engines, as what Stoddart was planning to achieve, so he's considering pulling his support for keeping traction control in the cars or something, that apperently needs all 10 teams to agree with to keep it in

Falcon500
03-04-2004, 03:51 AM
Apprently paul stodart a while ago made threats to take the traction controll of his cars and come first and second as a byproduct of doing that....his threats were answerd by tearing cheaque books whicheasedhis financial woes for a few races. He is well reknown for being seriously disliked by other teams owners.

fpv_gtho
03-04-2004, 03:55 AM
stoddart's also well known for backing up his words....

Falcon500
03-05-2004, 03:59 AM
Hence the bribery to stop him from doing such a thing...

fpv_gtho
03-05-2004, 11:44 PM
well this recent threat to pull his support to keep traction control if the costs of engines isn't dropped is fairly serious, for teams like Minardi and Jordan, they need to be extremely particulate about what they spend their money on