PDA

View Full Version : Matra Sports Team : official launch

Matra et Alpine
01-28-2006, 06:48 PM
Matra Sports GT racing team returns and rolls out in Scotland.

Edinburgh/Scotland, 25th January 2006. The Matra Sports GT Team steps out onto the FIA GTR stage. Just after nine o'clock this Wednesday morning in Edinburgh, Scotland, the Matra 911 was unveiled before more than 500 journalists and guests in the grounds of Robert Burns' cottage - a fitting location on Scotland's famous "Burns day"/(CAC).

At 13.00 hrs the first car of the Matra Sports GT Team made its debut on the Knockhill Circuit.

Also ready to launch into the newly reformed team's maiden season in the FIA GTR Championship is Matra Sports Team driver Peter Locke (42). The team have produced three cars and future announcement are hoped from the team of new drivers.

On the eve of the official media presentation, the team's new look was already displayed during a major merchandising fashion show with Scottish celebrity Jackie Bird and followed by a Burns night party where traditional haggis, neeps and tatties were served and Burns poetry recited.

Test drives on the Knockhill circuit will continue up to and including 31st January, during which time the track is reserved for the exclusive use of the Matra Sports GTR Team. Between 23rd and 26th January the team will rub shoulders with the competition during testing.

Great team reformed
http://www.minichamps.com/images/430731112_N.jpg
Dawn was just breaking on 22nd June 2005 when it was confirmed that Matra would be forming a new team for a return to GT racing for the first time since 1975. A one season contract with Peter Locke was announced on 16th September and the team name was revealed on 14th November. The team are still actively recruiting a second and third driver and are offering sponsorship locations on rear wing and rear valance to future applicants.

Alongside this, the first test drives with an interim Porsche chassis and the Matra developed engine were launched on 28th November.
http://www.bad-boy.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/m1%20small.jpg
In his function as Matra Motorsport Director, Peter Locke also directs the Matra GTR Team as well as driving. In Knockhill he commented: "We have worked hard over the last seven months. We've driven forward the integration of the two locations, got an interim car up and running, signed up the drivers, concluded contracts with our major partners Gitanes, Elf, Matra Group, and Ecurie Ecosse, and negotiated 90 work contracts for new staff. That's not bad as an interim progress report. But we are not under any illusions: we have a long road ahead of us. 2006 is a year of transition, and so would be premature to declare any sporting objectives. The main thing is that everything is pointing in the right direction."

According to Locke, success can only be achieved with a fully integrated team and all-encompassing procedures: "In our first season we will mainly be gathering experience. In 2005, Team UCP came eighth in the Constructors' World Championship. That is our starting point. From there we aim to work our way up as quickly as possible. You can't do that overnight, needless to say. It requires patience and endurance. We have both." He goes on: "For the Matra Sport Group, FIA GTR acts as a high-tech lab and a technology accelerator. With its dynamism, premium image, sporting challenges and demand for technical innovations, GT racing chimes in perfectly with Matra's brand values - including driving pleasure. And there's no other sporting event that generates so much attention worldwide on such a regular basis."

The plans for expansion include boosting the workforce in Romarantin by more than 100 new staff, many of whom will be reinforcing the aerodynamics department. Locke: "The wind tunnel is outstanding and we want to run it on a multiple-shift basis as soon as possible." As for the expansion plans for new offices and development and production facilities, planning permission is expected in spring of 2006. In parallel with this, the networking of the two locations - Edinburgh (responsible for powertrain and electronics) and Romarantin (chassis and race deployment) - is being driven forward along with an intensive development programme for 2007. By the end of that year all these measures will be fully implemented.

"Setting up a new team is a very complex task," says Locke looking ahead to the 2006 race season. "I've been through it before. But I believe that the prerequisites that have come together here are good. I want to do my best to help the Matra Team achieve success."

New engine.

Revolution, not evolution was the watchword when it came to the GTR engines for the new season. The Porsche units of the past are being replaced by Matra tuned engines. This switch calls for totally new concepts. "The drivers, on the other hand, need to adapt their driving style. To put it simply, they will have to attack corners less sharply to get the most out of the power available."

The different firing sequences and intervals compared to the Porsche supplied engines have led to a completely new situation in terms of vibrations.

New car, reformed team, traditional colours

The team is running in the famous triple Le Mans winning blue with red, green and gold car indicator stripes. Along with this the Matra group logo is in red, white or blue for each car - reflecting the French national flag and the primary colours of Scotland. The "Auld Alliance" is repeated again with welcome return of Ecurie Ecosse as sponsors and driver support. The number one drivers carry proudly carries the Scottish Saltire on the rear panel.

Prospective drivers and sponsors

Locke indicated that the team were aggressive and expected to be fun and provide maximum return to sponsors and drivers. Matra were looking to actively recruit and offering the innovative option to new drivers to have their own sponsorship carried on the rear wing and valance.

Zytek_Fan
01-28-2006, 07:09 PM
Excellent job Peter!!

Niko_Fx
01-28-2006, 07:28 PM
Pretty damn good, looks great :)

sunk
01-28-2006, 07:52 PM
So there're back!

taz_rocks_miami
01-28-2006, 08:40 PM
Nice work Matra. :)

Dino Scuderia
01-28-2006, 09:08 PM
Nice looking team!

johnnyperl
01-28-2006, 10:12 PM
you have too much free time!

Matra et Alpine
01-29-2006, 03:03 AM
you have too much free time!
Once I found the "tricks" for the GTR models - thanks Roy - cloning is easy :D

NuclearCrap
01-29-2006, 03:25 AM
That's one of the bests I've seen so far. Nice job dude. :)

6'bore
01-29-2006, 03:26 AM
Awesome livery Matra...you've done yourself proud :D

Roy Visser
01-29-2006, 06:28 AM
nice one peter, now if you finish your helmet, i can start converting it into GTR :)

jorismo
01-29-2006, 06:29 AM
Great job! Can't wait to drive against you :p

adamfraser
01-29-2006, 06:40 AM
Peter, how did you get so many damn cars intot he renders :o

Anyway, nice team speech :p

Damn, if you were outside Burn's house, i could have come along, its only 2 minutes down the road!! ;)

spi-ti-tout
01-29-2006, 08:15 AM
Are you high?

Probably suspect he'll answer it with a "yes"

:D

adamfraser
01-29-2006, 08:19 AM
Currently, peter is not online. But il answer for him :)

Yea ;)

spi-ti-tout
01-29-2006, 09:24 AM
See I told you I told you I told you I saw a puddy cat! ;)

http://lvalverde.net/afegitons/tweety.png

Pando
01-30-2006, 12:59 PM
Lol, Matra GT3's... :D Nice job! And you just had to squeeze that flag in there hadn't you... :rolleyes: :D

Matra et Alpine
02-01-2006, 09:38 AM
Matra Sports have completed negitations and proud to ressurrect the sponsors and support from the Le Mans wins of 1968.

SEV-Marchal are offical lighting supplier and Good Year will be providing the tyres as they did for Matra when they were 1-2-3 at Le Mans. The COmplete recing livery is now released and seen on the practice circuits.

( PS: Thanks to daughter who wanted to learn how to use Autodesk, so we made a LOT LOT more :D enjoy :D )

Matra et Alpine
02-01-2006, 09:41 AM
contact MatraSport for commercial use of these images

Matra et Alpine
02-01-2006, 09:43 AM

Roy Visser
02-01-2006, 04:04 PM
i cant change the wheels for you ingame though mate, it will still be Pirelli's ingame..

Matra et Alpine
02-01-2006, 07:54 PM
i cant change the wheels for you ingame though mate, it will still be Pirelli's ingame..
Bummer ... so can you do the driver overals ?
Daughter is making some posing models of drivers, so will likely do a material to match mine :D

( PM or msn me why not on the wheels. It looks liek they ARE all in the model extracted )

Roy Visser
02-02-2006, 03:51 AM
Bummer ... so can you do the driver overals ?
Daughter is making some posing models of drivers, so will likely do a material to match mine :D

( PM or msn me why not on the wheels. It looks liek they ARE all in the model extracted )

driver overals is possible ofcourse.

the wheel thing, yes you can edit the wheels in 3ds, but 3ds is just a model of the GTR cars which needs the graphics for all things included in the model (including wheels, dash, engine, bottom of the car, rollcage etc etc) So you can edit thoses graphics for display in 3ds, but you cant use these ingame.

Another reason why its not possible, the GT3 cupcars are limited to pirelli's in reallife, and thusfor, they are limited in GTR. It's not just the look which makes the car have michelins, GTR is so sophisticated that there is a significant margin between the different tires!

Dunlops:
Most forgiving, heats up quickly, more low-speed grip with higher fall off at high loads.
Needs most camber of the bunch. Softest spring rate. Medium wear. Highest rolling drag.
Peak temperature of 99C.
Michelin:
The most precise tyre. Needs least amount of camber. Heats up relatively quickly (but a
bit more slowly than the Dunlops). Features average grip with low fall off at high loads.
Stiffest tyre with highest spring rate. Lowest rolling drag. Best wear. Peak temperature of
99C. Probably the fastest over long runs.
Pirelli:
Highest base grip once it gets up to temperature. This is the most sensitive tyre to temperature,
so it feels like it takes a bit longer to warm up. Medium rolling drag, medium
stiffness spring rate. Worst wear. Peak temperature of 105C.

michelins are the best tires, but are no option for use under the cup GT3 (since none of the cup GT3's are on michelins)

in other words, the only things you can change, are the body and driver templates i provided, all other things which you can change in 3dsmax, is only for show. GTR doesnt use 3dsmax to import its models

Matra et Alpine
02-02-2006, 04:11 AM
driver overals is possible ofcourse.....GTR doesnt use 3dsmax to import its models
I was assuming that the re-creation of the GTR models would have allowed for the inclusion of the tyres and wheels like GPL did :(

NO way was I going to even try guessing at modelling the dynamic characteristics :) Notice how MatraSport press release said they are running a "modified" engine, well that's all BS innit :D

Few, thank goodness for the ovies being in as she has the first "standing" driver pose done already. Just miffed that I want to have crossed arms and arm on roof alternatives :D

Roy Visser
02-02-2006, 04:14 AM
Few, thank goodness for the ovies being in as she has the first "standing" driver pose done already. Just miffed that I want to have crossed arms and arm on roof alternatives :D

lol, make sure you look at the overals in 3ds first though, there some things are mirrored!

Matra et Alpine
02-02-2006, 04:33 AM
lol, make sure you look at the overals in 3ds first though, there some things are mirrored!
We did already when I was teaching her how to edit meshes. See attached as her guide to mapping hte texture file to the surfaces
There's nothing mirrored.
You sure you're thinking GTR ? Or is the .max file only a poor approximation for the game ? The only big problem is that they didnt' include the back in the mesh. So any poses are frontal only for now :D Whether she sticks at it and does what I've asked is yet to be seen - ie a much more detailed mesh :D

Roy Visser
02-02-2006, 03:01 PM
We did already when I was teaching her how to edit meshes. See attached as her guide to mapping hte texture file to the surfaces
There's nothing mirrored.
You sure you're thinking GTR ?

i think i've made an error myself then :)

02-02-2006, 03:23 PM
why is the text text on your helmet in comic sans?

Roy Visser
02-02-2006, 03:24 PM
why is the text text on your helmet in comic sans?

why wouldnt it be, its his own helmet?

adamfraser
02-02-2006, 03:25 PM
Was it supposed to be a different font? He can mak it whatever he wants jack :)

EDIT: Grr, roy, your internet is too fast, stupid lagging over here :p

Roy Visser
02-02-2006, 03:28 PM
Was it supposed to be a different font? He can mak it whatever he wants jack :)

EDIT: Grr, roy, your internet is too fast, stupid lagging over here :p

8mbit baby :D

btw i need your final car, helmet and suit matra, so i can start converting it. I'll do dino's car now or tomorrow morning!

Matra et Alpine
02-08-2006, 05:11 AM
Latest spy pics of the Matra team in final setup in their garage.

Spies have indicated that only one car has been seen on track adn only one driver.
It seems that the Matra team are unable to find drivers to take up the other cars.

Roy Visser
02-08-2006, 05:27 AM
Latest spy pics of the Matra team in final setup in their garage.

Spies have indicated that only one car has been seen on track adn only one driver.
It seems that the Matra team are unable to find drivers to take up the other cars.

:) whats up with the colours though?

Matra et Alpine
02-08-2006, 05:45 AM
Yeah I know I noticed. She was playing with the Brazil ray tracing :(
Was having difficulty getting good colour rendition and had tried different factors. The lighting is causing the AA to get screwed.
I'll be trying to get it sorted later. But I'm in the place of she's not sure what she changed :) The problem of "leraning by doign" with somethign as complex as brazil :D
Not conviced it's not a lighting settings problem.
It has all the hallmarks of ray-tracing and anti-aliasing interaction.

Roy Visser
02-08-2006, 05:59 AM
if she's going to do another one, tell her that the scale of the cars is a bit to big, and that the left car, is hovering in the air :)

Dino Scuderia
02-08-2006, 07:22 AM
Those are the new giant Porsches.

Matra et Alpine
02-08-2006, 08:12 AM
Those are the new giant Porsches.
Well as she pointed out I didnt' give her a scale.
She used the width of the ramps to define the width of the cars !!
It didnt' ring with me as I'm used to workign in mates garage where you can't swing a cat - so even a Mini looks huge in it :D
Didnt' spott eh hovering car either.
Guess I shodul have vettted and critiqued it more with her before posting :D
Any more complaints I'll pass on to her. You wont' want to anger a 21 yo :eek:

Dino Scuderia
02-08-2006, 08:30 AM
She's doing better than I could do.

Matra et Alpine
02-09-2006, 08:44 AM
not only good ... but great :D

Spot the driver .........

Matra et Alpine
02-10-2006, 04:15 PM
The official launch pics are avalaible for the fans and media and the car was recently spied in action during a club race at the Esses before Tertre Rouge on the famous Le Mans circuit. Clearly the French are backing this team :D

The way Locke is driving we don't see any need for a move to the Red Bull team as he clearly has wings already !!!!

FastDriver
05-16-2011, 10:54 AM
when i raced in online racing leagues for Nascar Racing 2003 season I used take weeks painting team cars and then take weeks of just driving them in races :) fun stuff!!!