PDA

View Full Version : GTS Le Mans Class? Missing the Viper?

cobrapower
05-01-2003, 10:21 PM
What do you all think? I am a big Le Mans fan, and i am partial to the racing of the GTS class. I really miss the ORECA Vipers in the class, and with the Saleen s7, Corvette C5R, and the possible return of the GT40, would it be a wise decision for Dodge to bring back the Viper? Especially with the lack of their former drivers and the tuning of ORECA. I mean The GTSR's ruled those vettes like 4 years ago. And that viper was never designed as a race car. With the new one being designed with such a function in mind, do you believe that the viper can make a comeback?

Meluion
05-03-2003, 02:32 PM
A viper-comeback I would surely welcome!
Together with a possible GT40 return, it would give the GT(S) class a boost of popularity.

Dustin917
06-08-2004, 07:53 PM
Ford has already said that they will NOT back a Ford GT Team. I couls see the Ford GT being run by privateers and possibly as an LMP category car. Another car to go in the Bentley class, the LM GTP if that is whats it's called. The Dodge Viper has had its time. The new Viper in GTS would be silly because of the fact that the Prodrive Veloqx Team that currently runs the amazingly fast Ferrari 550's is working on a new Aston Martin. That car will kick the Corvette up and down the Mulsanne straight.
I would love to see the Ford GT and the Aston Martin battle at the Circuit de la Sarthe, but only time will tell.

NAZCA C2
06-09-2004, 05:48 PM
If Dodge fully supports a Viper racing effort they could very well get back on top of the GTS class. They probably are too busy with NASCAR to concern themselves with road racing though.

Coventrysucks
06-10-2004, 03:04 AM
I couls see the Ford GT being run by privateers and possibly as an LMP category car. Another car to go in the Bentley class, the LM GTP if that is whats it's called.

The GT would have to be GTS class, as LMP is strictly for closed prototypes.
The GT wouldn't stand a chance against the Bentley. ;)

Guibo
06-10-2004, 05:41 PM
There's rumor of a Viper SRT-10 coupe being unveiled later this year. That would solve homologation roadblocks with the current Viper. But, like NAZCA C2 said, Dodge probably won't go racing with it as a factory effort until it takes the Nascar title (which was its official reason for dropping the Viper GTS-R program).

If only the rules could be worked to allow all of them: Ford GT, SRT-10 coupe, Enzo, Carrera GT, SLR, Koenigsegg, Typhon, etc. The time is truly ripe for another "golden age" of motor racing. Non road-based, prototype-class racers just don't do it for me as much.

Dustin917
06-10-2004, 05:42 PM
What about the class at Le Mans last year that was reserved exclusively for the two Bentley's? They were not in the same class as the three Audi r8's.

Coventrysucks
06-11-2004, 02:49 AM
If only the rules could be worked to allow all of them: Ford GT, SRT-10 coupe, Enzo, Carrera GT, SLR, Koenigsegg, Typhon, etc. The time is truly ripe for another "golden age" of motor racing. Non road-based, prototype-class racers just don't do it for me as much.

That is what the GT and GTS classes are for.
If those companies wanted to race cars they could.
There was a Pagani Zonda last year, and the Typhon is racing as the T400R.

The Enzo GT is the Maserati MC12, although that isn't entered.

The class wasn't just for the Bentley's, it is just that Bentley was the only team to enter cars in that category. It was the LM GTP - basically the same as the LMP900 cars, but for closed cars, not open.
They have larger restrictors and narrower rear tyres to keep the levels of performance the same as the LMP 900.

I'm not sure what that class is called anymore as LMP900 is now LM P1, LMP675 is now LM P2.

I cannot believe that a car company like Dodge cannot find the time to build a new GTS Viper, because of NASCAR.
Aren't NASCAR cars a stock chassis and engine? Not a lot for all those race engineers to be doing really.

Dustin917
06-11-2004, 02:01 PM
I think that if some privateer runs the ford GT in the Le Mans 24 Hours, then they would have to go all out. None of this class-winning b.s. The Ford GT40's were remembered as outright winners, and that is what the new ford gt has to aim for. The LM GTP class that the Bentley's entered in 2003 would be perfect for cars such as the Ford GT.

cp01ae
06-11-2004, 03:05 PM
You have to remember that the Bentley was designed as a race car, the Ford GT wasn't. This alone will ensure that it probably can't compete for the overall win. just look at the Saleen S7 (of which none are competeing this year) it is similar in principle and design form to the GT, but you never saw it running with the Audis. Production cars are put into GT classes and Prototypes are put into LMP classes, this is how the FIA rule system works.

Dustin917
06-11-2004, 06:55 PM
Good Point There.

NAZCA C2
06-12-2004, 02:27 PM
I think that if some privateer runs the ford GT in the Le Mans 24 Hours, then they would have to go all out. None of this class-winning b.s. The Ford GT40's were remembered as outright winners, and that is what the new ford gt has to aim for. The LM GTP class that the Bentley's entered in 2003 would be perfect for cars such as the Ford GT.

If you want to win Le Mans outright you have to spend a huge amount of money, especially if you are developing a new car. I doubt any privateer could transform the Ford GT into a Le Mans winner. It might be possible to make it competitive in the GTS or GT class but there is no way it could do anything in the prototype classes. Audi spent about $100 million dollars a year to win Le Mans. You can't win without factory support with a all new car.