PDA

View Full Version : Police chief hits out at Clarkson

S4AWX
02-08-2006, 04:05 AM
Who'd have thought it? Our Jeremy being accused of focusing too much on fast cars.

It's outrageous. Well, it is if you're Scotland's most senior traffic policeman, John Vine, the Chief Constable of Tayside Police and road policing supremo for the Association of Chief Police Officers Scotland.

Mr Vine says of JC's TV show: "It encourages people to break the law. I don't think it's helpful; the over-emphasis on speed and the focus on the kind of cars which the vast majority of us cannot afford."

The BBC replied: "Top Gear has very stringent safety guidelines with regard to the speed with which we test drive any vehicle. We observe these scrupulously, including adhering to speed limits, and none of our presenters advocate or encourage dangerous driving."

We'd have asked Jeremy for his thoughts, but he was too busy watching his speed.

derekthetree
02-08-2006, 06:23 AM
from top gear again then?

drakkie
02-08-2006, 07:10 AM
Who'd have thought it? Our Jeremy being accused of focusing too much on fast cars.

It's outrageous. Well, it is if you're Scotland's most senior traffic policeman, John Vine, the Chief Constable of Tayside Police and road policing supremo for the Association of Chief Police Officers Scotland.

Mr Vine says of JC's TV show: "It encourages people to break the law. I don't think it's helpful; the over-emphasis on speed and the focus on the kind of cars which the vast majority of us cannot afford."

I cant do anything else as to agree :) He makes speeding look like a "cool"and "manly" thing to do. Those speed limits werent made for nothing !!!

Same idea as to children watching horror/action movies with a lot of violence in it.

Mustang
02-08-2006, 07:14 AM
no ones making them do it though its there own conscious decision to go out and do something stupid, not something that a tv show HAS MADE them do because they watched it and thought it was 'cool'

same with violent video games and films no where in the film / game does it tell little kids to go and do the things, they made the decision to doit

bennywidag
02-08-2006, 07:17 AM
Lol, my mate Steve thinks Clarkson is god, he is going to write to this bloke now and complain.

TBH i see this as a kind of political correctness gone weird, all he encourages is driveing fast on tracks, autobahns and the Isle of Man where it is legal in all cases, and as for expensive cars, what is the problem, we can all dream, and like to be informed in them.

This sort of fast driving is not bad, in fact it is good and should be encouraged, car control is usually increased by doing it safely and you can learn stuff like wet driving and slide control, all of which may be applicable at low speed extreme condition occasions.

What is the problem is chav drivers going far too fast around built up areas with stupidly loud exhausts (with engines that dont match btw) this creates an annoyance and is far more dangerous IMO

I also agree with Mustang

Matt
02-08-2006, 07:25 AM
If you don't like fast, expensive cars then don't watch Top Gear. Why is that so difficult?

bennywidag
02-08-2006, 07:38 AM
If you don't like fast, expensive cars then don't watch Top Gear. Why is that so difficult?

Precisely, Cheers, as i say its PC gone wrong

Mustang
02-08-2006, 07:48 AM
its PC gone wrong

otherwise known as apple mac :P

nota
02-08-2006, 08:04 AM
".. and the focus on the kind of cars which the vast majority of us cannot afford."
There should be a law against it! :rolleyes:

Still trying to think of a reason why this wowser thinks it unacceptable to portray prohibitively-expensive consumer products :confused:

Matra et Alpine
02-08-2006, 08:15 AM
He's a Chief Constable in a remote outpost of Scotland.
Desperately trygin to get himself some public attention.
His favourite sheep must have refused him last night :D

UCR
02-08-2006, 08:16 AM
If people want a review on a family car etc, buy the mag.

Theres no reson to make Top Gear boring with shitty grandma shoppin karts.

quattro_20v
02-08-2006, 08:17 AM
They could think it in another way. That guy said that most people cant afford the cars, well if they could afford them they wouldnt have to watch tg and could drive in them themselves. Topgear is a good show for people who want to see what a car/supercar really can do. Most other car tv shows they just drive 300 meters trough town and then go look at how big the luggage space is and in how many ways you can fold the backseats etc. etc.(all boring stuff).

kingofthering
02-08-2006, 08:48 AM

The BBC replied: "Top Gear has very stringent safety guidelines with regard to the speed with which we test drive any vehicle. We observe these scrupulously, including adhering to speed limits, and none of our presenters advocate or encourage dangerous driving."

We'd have asked Jeremy for his thoughts, but he was too busy watching his speed.
just because it has fast cars doesn't mean that you should drive at max speed everyday.

Vaigra
02-08-2006, 04:14 PM
He's a Chief Constable in a remote outpost of Scotland.
Desperately trygin to get himself some public attention.
His favourite sheep must have refused him last night :Dyou seem happy today, obviously you were kept entertained enough by yours last night ;)

Matra et Alpine
02-08-2006, 04:20 PM
you seem happy today, obviously you were kept entertained enough by yours last night ;)
You leave ma wee bonnie Cheviot oot oh this !!

Vaigra
02-08-2006, 04:21 PM
aww such a cute name and all :D

man 430gt
02-09-2006, 01:17 AM
Bunch of BS:rolleyes: next thing you know they'll be banning F1 (but know that i think about thats not too bad):p

TVR IS KING
02-09-2006, 02:07 AM
Yeah whatever they say, it is still just TV. I dont think a bannage is in order, and personally..I love the show to pieces. Viva la Top Gear!

KM2
02-09-2006, 03:26 AM
Just read in the mag that there won't be any shows on till May. Is this really so? :\

Anyway, the show must be appealing to quite a part of the population, since it is one of the most watched TV shows globally, reaching up to a billion viewers in some cases :)

I enjoy it a lot and surprisingly enough, my girlfriend does as well. TG is also the only car magazine that she rips out of my hands and reads first (in fact she wouldn't touch any of the others). Luckily she only reads the editorials in the beginning ;)