PDA

View Full Version : Top Gear on Discovery Channel...NOW

PerfAdv
02-09-2006, 10:06 PM
Quick, record TG Marathon on Discovery Channel. I think there are atleast 4 episodes: Flying wing, Lambo special, Ferrari 575 etc, and another.

Leenis24
02-09-2006, 11:00 PM
I know im watching, its sweet i know

man 430gt
02-10-2006, 05:24 AM
Blimey, about 6 epi's a day on UKTV ppl, aday;)

Matt
02-10-2006, 06:11 AM
I am offended by how they dumbed down the in-studio portions of the show, re-recording them and using American terminology. I hate they way they lie through their teeth and say that cars are good, since compared to other cars offered here they are, and even defend SUV owners. I prefer watching downloaded episodes on my computer.

kingofthering
02-10-2006, 08:14 AM
Quick, record TG Marathon on Discovery Channel. I think there are atleast 4 episodes: Flying wing, Lambo special, Ferrari 575 etc, and another.
when is it on?

PerfAdv
02-10-2006, 08:45 AM
when is it on?
Last night. I chanced upon it channel surfing and was letting unaware UCPers know. If you missed it, I'm sure they'll rebroadcast them.

As suggested, you could bandwidth allowing, just download TG.

blackcat77
02-10-2006, 09:43 AM
I prefer watching downloaded episodes on my computer.

Downloaded from where?

They had a little thing at the bottom of the screen during one episode asking for viewer feedback so I sent them a note saying that I wish they'd carry this show regularly. I realize that it's "dumbed down" for Americans to some extent, but compared to the crap we have here, it's still terrific. I Tivoed all five episodes and have watched three so far. Some of it was dumb like the Grandmas' Donut Contest, but other segments were great. Anybody that says the F40 is the still the best Ferrari ever made is fine by me...

Leenis24
02-10-2006, 09:57 AM
you can get them at torrentspy.com or mininova.org. Its a bit torrent so you'll have to install bittorrent on to your computer from bittorrent.com

m5child
02-10-2006, 11:15 AM
I got home from work around 11.15pm so i managed to catch a good remaining portion with the ferrari 575 and the burnout championship episode (that was me favorite part), but i couldnt pull awake until 3am to watch the next 3 episodes plus my stupid video recorder wasn't working.... =(

Matt
02-10-2006, 11:22 AM
Downloaded from where?

www.finalgear.com

Matt
02-10-2006, 11:22 AM
you can get them at torrentspy.com or mininova.org. Its a bit torrent so you'll have to install bittorrent on to your computer from bittorrent.com

I prefer Azureus to download torrents. But, of course, I haven't tried much else. :)

Clique
02-10-2006, 11:47 AM
GOOD NEWS... Top Gear is back on in england on sunday... Dont know what time though...

P3RG4R3C
02-10-2006, 12:13 PM
I prefer Azureus to download torrents. But, of course, I haven't tried much else. :)

Yes, I think Azureus is the best. It's the most advanced and only one thing bothers me... Because it runs on Java it uses a lot of RAM, around 80 MB in fact...

Matt
02-10-2006, 12:13 PM
Yes, I think Azureus is the best. It's the most advanced and only one thing bothers me... Because it runs on Java it uses a lot of RAM, around 80 MB in fact...

Now, that's true.

Leenis24
02-10-2006, 12:23 PM
ya Azureus is good, thats what im using. I have to agree, it deos use a LOT of RAM but what ya gunna do ya know.

P3RG4R3C
02-10-2006, 12:33 PM
ya Azureus is good, thats what im using. I have to agree, it deos use a LOT of RAM but what ya gunna do ya know.

You can use a non-Java client but then you have to sacrifice a lot of Azureus' features that other clients don't have.

PerfAdv
02-10-2006, 12:39 PM
How does bitorrent software work? I'm concerned about computer security. Is it like those point-to-point protocols that some music sharing sites want you to install. Those leave your computer pretty open to hackers etc.

P3RG4R3C
02-10-2006, 12:42 PM
Check this out: Bittorrent (http://www.bittorrent.com/introduction.html) or wait for Matra. :p

Matt
02-10-2006, 04:20 PM
How does bitorrent software work? I'm concerned about computer security. Is it like those point-to-point protocols that some music sharing sites want you to install. Those leave your computer pretty open to hackers etc.

Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I believe that torrent technology is more secure than the traditional P2P software (Limewire, etc) because there's a third-party host that all the traffic actually funnels through. Plus, and this might depend on the torrent software you use, the only thing that is available to other downloaders is what you leave "seeding" in your torrent software. Personally, I just download what I want, delete the torrent and keep the file and I never have to worry about doing additional uploads. Of course, like everything else you ever download or put on your computer, it should be monitored by a firewall and checked by a virus scanner. If anyone out there is not running both, you're simply a fool.

Zytek_Fan
02-10-2006, 04:22 PM
Now Top Gear is on American Discovery Channel every Thursday

02-10-2006, 04:31 PM
GOOD NEWS... Top Gear is back on in england on sunday... Dont know what time though...yay1!:D

Coventrysucks
02-10-2006, 04:37 PM
TG have an "Olympic special" this sunday, according to the radio earlier.

Quite why the BBC have decided to show TG instead of endless Olympics coverage anyway...

BjD
02-10-2006, 04:40 PM
yay1!:D

Top Gear Winter Olympics
9:10pm - 10:10pm
BBC2 North West

'Tis just a one off :(
Although that Petrolheads thing with Hammond is on straight after too.

h00t_h00t
02-10-2006, 04:49 PM
But that sounds terrible, a comedy game show about cars...

PerfAdv
02-10-2006, 05:21 PM
Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I believe that torrent technology is more secure than the traditional P2P software (Limewire, etc) because there's a third-party host that all the traffic actually funnels through. Plus, and this might depend on the torrent software you use, the only thing that is available to other downloaders is what you leave "seeding" in your torrent software. Personally, I just download what I want, delete the torrent and keep the file and I never have to worry about doing additional uploads. Of course, like everything else you ever download or put on your computer, it should be monitored by a firewall and checked by a virus scanner. If anyone out there is not running both, you're simply a fool.
My anti-virus updates every few days and am also running the Windows firewall. After getting a high speed connection I thought it necessary. With dial-up I never bothered with either and did get the occasional trojan, spyware, etc.

The firewall is fine for blocking requests made to your computer from outside the firewall but if you have a third-party software that's making requests from within, the firewall won't help you, as far as I know.

Matt
02-10-2006, 05:57 PM
My anti-virus updates every few days and am also running the Windows firewall. After getting a high speed connection I thought it necessary. With dial-up I never bothered with either and did get the occasional trojan, spyware, etc.

The firewall is fine for blocking requests made to your computer from outside the firewall but if you have a third-party software that's making requests from within, the firewall won't help you, as far as I know.

No, but your antivirus should take care of any files that are downloaded.

Matra et Alpine
02-10-2006, 05:59 PM
Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I believe that torrent technology is more secure than the traditional P2P software (Limewire, etc) because there's a third-party host that all the traffic actually funnels through.
THe seed is set up on a host.
Once shared the file segments are sent directly peer-to-peer.
WHere Bittorrent won was it was the first to bring in teh idea of multiple segments and sharing them around and not jsut seeing the fiel as one big chunk. So you may well be reading many segments from many providers and at the same time sharing OUT those file segments that have conmpleted on yoru machien.

Teh downside of bt is that once everybody stops sharing OUT then you can often find a torrent won't get served. At that timne folsk usually ask someoen to re-seed it.