PDA

View Full Version : Westfield Differences

10X
02-13-2006, 10:09 PM
Can someone tell me the differences between the Westfield sport 1600, 1800 and 2000? When were the 1800’s made?

Coventrysucks
02-14-2006, 01:46 AM
1600 = 1.6-litre
1800 = 1.8-litre
2000 = 2.0-litre

drakkie
02-14-2006, 06:36 AM
1600 = 1.6-litre
1800 = 1.8-litre
2000 = 2.0-litre

iirc there is also a faster(=stiffer suspension) and more racier everything with the bigger engines.

10X
02-14-2006, 07:51 AM
Thanks for the information. I am considering making an offer on an 1800 Sport roller and can’t find any information on the frame differences between the three. How big of a Zetec would fit this automobile? What is everyone’s opinion on this car versus other 7 type cars?

MrKipling
02-14-2006, 08:39 AM
Call Westfield, mate. They're a really nice bunch, I'm sure they'd be more than happy to give you some advice.

DavidC
02-14-2006, 02:43 PM
10X, There aren't any frame differences between them.

Westfield make 3 different chassis (ignoring the live axle ones for now). There's the one for SEiWs fitted with a car engine and an MT75 transmission tunnel, one for SEiWs with car engein and a Type9 transmission tunnel and then there's the one for bike engines.

The only difference between the first two is the width of the transmission tunnel. The MT5 gearbox (standard on Zetec cars) is wider than the Type 9 (Sierra) gearbox. Mine has an MT75 chassis but I have a type 9 gearbox as it means I can mount teh engine further back.

Of course you can have any of those 3 chassis with a live axle rear end, or an independant rear suspension rear end.

I'd expect an 1800 roller to be an MT75 chassis. I wouldn't be surprised if 1800s are still being made. If Westfield still has a supplied of new 1800 zetecs they'll still be making the 1800's. Having said that, I don't think there's any difference between a Zetec chassis or a Duratec chassis. The Duratec engein has now replaced the Zetec....it can get a bit complicated :)

Check www.westfield-sportscars.co.uk or just call them. They are generally a very helpful. Even better, book a factory visit and take your driving licence with to geta test drive :D

DC

edit: I nearly forgot http://www.apqa74.dsl.pipex.com/westy-1024.jpg :D

10X
02-14-2006, 03:59 PM
Thanks David, things are getting a little clearer now. This car has a MT 75 transmission with it so I guess it has the wider tunnel. Are all of the frames the same width in the seating department, with the exception of the trans tunnel? I am rather portly and need as much space as possible. I for one do not call international except to Canada, which is the same as a local call for me here in the U.S. I will check some rates this evening and try to call Westfield tomorrow.
Where on the quality scale do all of you think the Westfield’s rank compared to the Caterham’s etc?

h00t_h00t
02-14-2006, 05:12 PM
If it was factory built it'll be pretty good well made, Westfields usually aren't as extreme as Caterhams. Its all down to what the buyer wanted. If this was a man in a shed job take someone who is experienced with kit cars to check it out.

DavidC
02-16-2006, 02:39 PM
The seats are the same size in the wide and narrow tunnelled cars. If you can't phone westfield I'd definitely recommend emailing them. They'll always be happy to answer your tech questions by email.

Caterhams are probably better built on the whole because even a kit build version comes with the chassis fully panelled, wired and plumbed.

However, a factory built westfield will be as good 'quality-wise' as a Caterham. Similarly, a well built home-build will be just as good. Here in the UK all cars have to go through an SVA inspection test before they're given a registration number. This is a very thorough test but it ensures that the cars are well built before they go on the public road.

h00t_h00t
02-16-2006, 04:28 PM
Except for after the test where most of the SVA required parts are changed for better looking parts or left off entirly in the case of 7 windscreens.

Vaigra
02-17-2006, 07:05 AM
Call Westfield, mate. They're a really nice bunch, I'm sure they'd be more than happy to give you some advice.I gotta agree with you there. I applied for some information from their website about some of their cars a month back. They rang me up a week later and asked if I wanted any more specific information and exactly what I was interested in. A good conversation, pity I had to cut it short because I was at work.