PDA

View Full Version : Qeustion: Modelnames old 3-series?

Amaru
02-15-2006, 03:24 AM
Hey guys, I need your expertize concerning old BM's.

I saved a little money thusfar, and I'm looking for a nice car. So I did a little search and I bumped into old 3-series. I mean, I love BMW's, new/old, doesn't mather! Just love 'em. And those oldies ain't THAT expensive, but here's the thing, I don't exactly know all the old modelnames. I was thinking about an E30, that's the coupe right? From which to which year?

So maybe someone can give me a list of modelnames/numbers of the 3-serie sedans and coupe's starting from, I don't know, 1980 to 2000. And please include buildingyears.

Some tips on buying old BMW's, what I should focus on, what I should watch out for are welcome too.

Please. Any help is appreciated! :)

henk4
02-15-2006, 03:41 AM
some historic info:

The first 3 series was the model E21 built from 1975-1983. Models ranged from 315 to 323i,
The second series was indeed the E30, built from 1983 to 1991. Ranges 316i to 325i and for the first time the M3.

Buying an old 3-series always contains the risk to get a boyracer, that has really been mistreated. On the other hand older and more perfect examples will have been driven by elderly people. The best to go for would probalby be a normal 320 E21, giving you the smooth six cylinder, but it might not have been mistreated. (Watch the blue smoke coming from the exhaust on the overrun though)

Coventrysucks
02-15-2006, 05:36 AM
Buying an old 3-series always contains the risk to get a boyracer, that has really been mistreated. On the other hand older and more perfect examples will have been driven by elderly people.

Old people bimbling down the 1/2 mile to the shops every day isn't really going to do much good either.

Also they usually aren't going to bother with pesky things like checking that there is enough oil/ coolant etc...

henk4
02-15-2006, 05:59 AM
Old people bimbling down the 1/2 mile to the shops every day isn't really going to do much good either.

Also they usually aren't going to bother with pesky things like checking that there is enough oil/ coolant etc...

apparently you know of my habits:)

pimento
02-15-2006, 07:19 AM
Get one that's been treated right and it'll do upwards of 300,000 kms easily. My ol' '85 E30 323i has done over 340k kms and it's running fine. Burns a bit of oil, but not all that much really. Maybe.. half a litre a month. Not that I drive overly far in a month, but that's pretty good really. The model codes don't designate the body styles, just the design period, ie the two and four door '83 - '91 cars are all E30s.