PDA

View Full Version : Great Bands!

Suka
03-05-2004, 12:26 PM
Anyone heard of Fountains of Wayne?

Fountains of Wayne - Stacys Mom (http://www.rollingstone.com/videos/video_popup.asp?quicktime=1&bandwidth=2&resetsettings=true&sid=493556)

Franz Ferdinand?

Franz Ferdinand - Take Me Out (http://www.dominorecordco.com/videos.php?video=123&artist=171)

I just love these bands, what is everyone else into?

Niko_Fx
03-05-2004, 12:38 PM
Punk

Nofx, Pennywise, Millencolin, The Exploited, The Vandals, No use for a name, A New Found Glory, Anti-Flag, Rancid, Me first and the Gimme Gimmes, Osker... etc Every punk band there is.

Other music I like: U2, Bob Marley, Sublime, UB40, ColdPlay and some others.

I hate: Good Charlotte and every Rapper that exists.

Suka
03-05-2004, 12:43 PM
Punk

Nofx, Pennywise, Millencolin, The Exploited, The Vandals, No use for a name, A New Found Glory, Anti-Flag, Rancid, Me first and the Gimme Gimmes, Osker... etc Every punk band there is.

Other music I like: U2, Bob Marley, Sublime, UB40, ColdPlay and some others.

I hate: Good Charlotte and every Rapper that exists.

I could have guessed that!

I really like [spunge] and Never Heard Of It, i went to see them do a gig at my local.......church funnily enough!

Spastik_Roach
03-05-2004, 01:39 PM
Whats wrong with Good Charlotte?

I've heard of Fountains of Wayne and Franz Ferdinand, but I have not heard any stuff by Franz Ferdinand.

I like Smashing Pumpkins, Metallica, Nirvana, Incubus, Stone Sour, The Strokes, 2Pac, The White Stripes and Kings Of Leon.

Here is the music I like which none of you have probaly heard of (NEW ZEALAND MUSIC KICKS ASS!!)

Elemeno P, Scribe, Steriogram, Pacifier, Supergroove, The Deceptikonz, Zed, Che Fu, King Kapisi, and Brooke Fraser.

NZMusic.com (http://www.nzmusic.com)

Batmobile_Turbo
03-05-2004, 01:50 PM
i like:the Darkness, Blink 182, and other good rock/punk bands. i also like some rap, mostly old school rap, and what ever else sounds good.
i like but i don't know many songs from: Led Zepplin, Mettalica, and a few others i can't think of
i hate: brittany spears, boy bands and other crappy pop songs.
but most of all i like the Darkness, see......

Niko_Fx
03-05-2004, 05:32 PM
[QUOTE=Spastik_Roach] Whats wrong with Good Charlotte? [QUOTE]

Well,

1-They are always wearing Nofx T-Shirts and have Nofx stickers on their guitars and Nofx HATES MTV.

2-They think they play punkrock but then you see the guy dancing like a rapper in the video.

3-They are MTV SELLOUTS

4-They're like every other band on MTV, they only care about fame and money while punkrock bands like Nofx care more about if you like their music.

5-You listen to a Good Charlotte song and what does it say? "Girls don't like boys, girls like cars and money" (come on that is pretty retarded)

6-All their songs don't make any sense while Nofx has awesome songs against the government and against the war.

7-They say dumb stuff but make sure that they have a good rythm so their music sells.

In my opinion I love listining to a song that sounds good while it makes sense what it says.

Note: Nofx is doing a "Tour against Bush" with many bands including Good Charlotte I'm sure they're just using Good Charlotte because they're pretty famous.

I found this on another forum:

""Good Charlotte Sucks
When you see a "punk" band hosting MTV everytime you change the f***** channel then you know they're all about fame and popularity and don't care about rebellion. To them punk is a fashion trend and a easy way to gain popularity and a fast buck.
They look like they went in hot topic, spent a a lot of money on their wardrobe and then made a ***** band.""

Batmobile_Turbo
03-05-2004, 07:43 PM
why don't you like rap though? a lot of rap is crappy, like g-unit and 50 cent, and other gangster rap, but oldschool rap is cool.

bige321786
03-05-2004, 07:45 PM
4-They're like every other band on MTV, they only care about fame and money while punkrock bands like Nofx care more about if you like their music

I don't like Good Charlotte either. Nothing "wrong" with them in my mind, just not my thing. But I think you're wrong about one thing Niko. Yes, you're right punk bands don't care about the fame and the fortune, but on another note, they don't give a damn if you LIKE their music or not. You could absolutely hate their music and it wouldn't bother a punk rock band. Punk rock should (and used to) be all about being politically active and conerned, questioning authority and governmental institutions, etc etc.....NOT WHETHER YOU THE FAN LIKES THE MUSIC or wants to piss on it. You understand the difference?

There are some real good punk rock out there right now though.....Thursday rocks, especially live. Thrice is sweet...Coheed and Cambria, A Static Lullaby, A Fire Inside, and Finch are all real real good punk bands. Check 'em out.

Punk's definitely not my favorite but I will get in the mood for it. My favorites would have to be 1) The Grateful Dead 2)Beatles 3)Rolling Stones 4) Zeppelin 5) Bob Dylan 6) Hendrix....in that order.

some reggae would also have to be in order....for those "special" times....marly and the wailers, peter tosh, and burning spear will do just fine. seeing ziggy marly in a couple weeks actually!

later ladies and gents!

Niko_Fx
03-05-2004, 08:07 PM
Yes, you are completely right. I meant to say that they use their ability to play music for things other than fame and money.

Thanks Bige

Good Charlotte cannot call itself a punkrock band. They shouldn't be wearing punk clothes nor mohawk haircuts. That's why I hate them, kids think that Good Charlotte is actually punk and the whole definition of punkrock is changing.... is so sad.

Batmobile_Turbo
03-05-2004, 08:21 PM
Yes, you are completely right. I meant to say that they use their ability to play music for things other than fame and money.

Thanks Bige

Good Charlotte cannot call itself a punkrock band. They shouldn't be wearing punk clothes nor mohawk haircuts. That's why I hate them, kids think that Good Charlotte is actually punk and the whole definition of punkrock is changing.... is so sad.
hehehe, my sister loves Good Charlotte, but i don't, i mean they are ok, but i don't like them that much.

IBrake4Rainbows
03-06-2004, 12:44 AM
Good Charlotte suck mega time, as do scribe and the Decepticonz, damn NZ-ers talking of the ghettos of south auckland, my ass...Brooke frasers wicked though. Hey Spastik, do you like Goldenhorse?

now, the music i am into. i listen to bands such as the Dandy Warhols, New Order, Jamiroquai and the White stripes, my sister is a mega punk freak (Sex Pistols, not Good charlotte) and she gave me this pearler:
Sk8r punk is not real punk. Ie: good charlotte is the watered-down pop punk, as is Avril Lavigne(KILL, MUST KILL!!!)
the thing these days is that the surroundings that brought the original punk around have changed, most of these kids listening to Good Charlotte(G.C) are kids from middle-class white families, who just want something more than normality, unfortunately G.C is normal, sorry kids.

Falcon500
03-06-2004, 02:08 AM
My faveorite band is Diamond Head a english band from the 80s who wernt hugelypopular and wernt helpedby a press error with their records but they inspierd about 50%of metallicas music and with metallicas helped have reformed (and funny thing is they still wear the same things they did in the 80s :D lol) I also like the gunners (Guns & Roses) Metallica, Thin Lizzy, Kiss, Jimmi Henderix, Areosmith,The liveing End, AC/DC,Rose Tatoo,Split Endz,Twisted Sister,Alice Cooper and the australian beer albums im very versatile in my music the only thing i cant really stand is rap.
As we speak right now im listening (and throughly enjoying) Youll never walk alone by Gerry and the pacemakers....as i said illlisten to nearly anything

fpv_gtho
03-06-2004, 02:17 AM
im mainly into the stuff falc's into, metallica, the living end, the offspring, red hot chilli peppers, the fooies (foo fighters), AC/DC, definately linkin park, blink 182, nickelback, 3 doors down, sum41, the darkness, thats about all i can think of right now. it makes it a hell of a lot easier being a V8 Supercar fan cause during the coverage this is the type of music they play thank god!!

whenever rap's on the radio i swear i almost feel like punching the radio!! could explain why in NFS:underground i turned all the rock songs on and all the rap songs off. its too bad my best friends like the bigges 50cent/eminem wannabe, i usually resort to giving him a few punches to the kidneys whenever he starts talking about either of them.....

bige321786
03-06-2004, 02:20 AM
i've heard a lot of good things about The Darkness but on a college student's budget, i don't have too much cash to be throwing around on brand new CDs. anything you can tell me about this band? where are they from? what are they like? anybody you'd compare them to that has a similar sound? batmobile_turbo....any info would be great. thanks.

fpv_gtho
03-06-2004, 02:24 AM
theyre a rock band highly influenced by 70's and 80's rockers, predominantly KISS and Queen

caseyradcliffe
03-06-2004, 02:47 AM
trust me. buy the CD and it will be money weel spent. i have it and cant get enough of it. They r a band from England (great country :D ).
There r 4 members. Justin Hawkins who does lead vocals and guitar, Dan Hawkins (justins bro) who does guitar, Frankie Poullain who is bass and Ed Graham whos on drums.
i dont think i could really say wat band they sounds like....Justin has a real original voice, its so wicked.

fpv_gtho
03-06-2004, 02:53 AM
trust me. buy the CD and it will be money weel spent. i have it and cant get enough of it. They r a band from England (great country :D ).
There r 4 members. Justin Hawkins who does lead vocals and guitar, Dan Hawkins (justins bro) who does guitar, Frankie Poullain who is bass and Ed Graham whos on drums.
i dont think i could really say wat band they sounds like....Justin has a real original voice, its so wicked.

believe her......she probably knows everything or almost everything about the band

IL Duce
03-06-2004, 03:03 AM
Anyone heard of the band Tourniquet??? really really awesome metal music!!!
It's my favorite, but I like many many other bands too, including Good Charlotte... Fountains of Wayne is really cool, I really lol when I saw the video stacy's mom... It's soo funny!!
another list:
Tourniquet,
Evanescence,
Kutless,
Petra,
Stryper,
Good Charlotte,
Bowling for Soup (that's really cool, ye should try this band),
Blink 182,
Puddle of Mud,
Disciple,
Blindside,
Yellowcard,
Lifehouse,
Live,
Newsboys,
Nickelback,
DC Talk,
Third Day,
Nirvana,
Guns n Roses,
Sum 41,
Incubus,
Queens of the Stone Age
These were all some sort of rockband, tho I like this one too: Lordz Of Brooklyn (Where do Gangsters Go (Lake Of Fire))... :cool:

This is one of the best covers of Tourniquet

ZerK
03-06-2004, 03:23 AM
Good Charlotte lyrics aren't totally worthless... look (http://www.poplyrics.net/waiguo/goodcharlotte/032.htm)

I like:

P.O.D.
Linkin Park
Nickelback
Santana
Blindside
HIM
Everlast
Michelle Branch
Yfriday
Coldplay
Dido
Feeder
Ash
Stereophonics
Foo Fighters
Fountains of Wayne
UB40
U2
Evanescence
Petra
Delirious?
Lostprophets
dc talk
Avril Lavigne
The Darkness

That's all I can think of currently... there's plenty more though :)

IL Duce
03-06-2004, 03:30 AM
Originally Posted by ZerK:
P.O.D.
Blindside
U2
Evanescence
Petra
Delirious?
dc talk

SUPER!!!! ;)

ZerK
03-06-2004, 03:39 AM
SUPER!!!! ;)

http://forum.racesimcentral.com/images/smilies/headbang.gif

NoOne
03-06-2004, 07:24 AM
I see Punk has quite a following in this thread, anyone challenge my vote for Jello Biafra as the Punk icon(anti-icon)? his work as member of the Dead Kennedys, D.O.A., Nomeansno is incredible, not to mention his spoken word material.

A few other contenders may be:
Greg Graffin - Bad Religion
Henry Rollins - Black Flag, Henry Rollins Band
Johnny Rotten(Lydon) - The Sex Pistols/ PIL
Joe Strummer - The Clash
Mick Jones - The Clash
Wayne Kramer - MC5, Gang War

Niko_Fx
03-06-2004, 09:34 AM
I see Punk has quite a following in this thread, anyone challenge my vote for Jello Biafra as the Punk icon(anti-icon)? his work as member of the Dead Kennedys, D.O.A., Nomeansno is incredible, not to mention his spoken word material.

A few other contenders may be:
Greg Graffin - Bad Religion
Henry Rollins - Black Flag, Henry Rollins Band
Johnny Rotten(Lydon) - The Sex Pistols/ PIL
Joe Strummer - The Clash
Mick Jones - The Clash
Wayne Kramer - MC5, Gang War

The Clash, Sex Pistols, Ramones, Crass, Misfits!! That's the real PUNK.

Punkers owe everything to them......ohhh hail to the great bands!

PS: Bad Religion Rules!

Batmobile_Turbo
03-06-2004, 11:27 AM
yeah, like FPV said they are a rock band that is infulenced by KISS and Queen, they are i think the biggest band in the UK right now.
the first video i saw from them was get your hands off of my woman which i thought was pretty cool, but i didn't really know who they were, then i saw the video for I beleive in a thing called love and i adored their wicked wicked Guitar solos in that song, plus the video was funny and cool and also like an 80s video, so i looked them up on the internet and watched all of their videos on www.thedarknessrock.com
i haven't bought their CD yet because i don't have money but i will as soon as i get the means.

Matra et Alpine
03-06-2004, 11:42 AM
yeah, like FPV said they are a rock band that is infulenced by KISS and Queen, they are i think the biggest band in the UK right now.
Showing my age :(
His image is Marc Bolan and he is as talented ( in a copying kind of way ).
The band are great.
I think the KISS and Queen references are in line too - course they can trace back to Bolan too. ( Sadly Marc died in a crash in a Mini at the peak of his talent and career )
Dughters were front row at the MTV Europe awards in Europe and Darkness is ALL they raved about from the whole show. A great live band !!

crisis
03-07-2004, 05:17 PM

Well,

1-They are always wearing Nofx T-Shirts and have Nofx stickers on their guitars and Nofx HATES MTV.maybe they are being sarcastic

2-They think they play punkrock but then you see the guy dancing like a rapper in the video.does this actually matter

3-They are MTV SELLOUTS

4-They're like every other band on MTV, they only care about fame and money while punkrock bands like Nofx care more about if you like their music.
What a sweeping generalisation.
5-You listen to a Good Charlotte song and what does it say? "Girls don't like boys, girls like cars and money" (come on that is pretty retarded)Its called having fun. Music doesnt have to always be serious.

6-All their songs don't make any sense while Nofx has awesome songs against the government and against the war.That is ok but bands that continually protest can get tiresome. How about just enjoying the music.

7-They say dumb stuff but make sure that they have a good rythm so their music sells.Ill take that over some gloomy self possesed bunch of ingrates any day.

In my opinion I love listining to a song that sounds good while it makes sense what it says.first reasonable comment you made.

Note: Nofx is doing a "Tour against Bush" with many bands including Good Charlotte I'm sure they're just using Good Charlotte because they're pretty famous.Or maybe there managers found them both a good gig.

I found this on another forum:

""Good Charlotte Sucks
When you see a "punk" band hosting MTV everytime you change the f***** channel then you know they're all about fame and popularity and don't care about rebellion. To them punk is a fashion trend and a easy way to gain popularity and a fast buck.
They look like they went in hot topic, spent a a lot of money on their wardrobe and then made a ***** band.""
Its good to have a favourite band. Just dont get too caught up in the hype. Its all just music and all music is relevant to somebody. There may be plenty you dont like, there is plenty I dont like, but that doesnt make it irrelevant. The bands I find most annoying are the ones who take themselves too seriously.

Batmobile_Turbo
03-07-2004, 05:20 PM
the Darkness and blink 182 are on Much combat zone today, it was a good day. i voted for the darkness on muchmusic.com, i suggest you (everyone) do the same thing, for the forces of darkness.

Niko_Fx
03-07-2004, 05:24 PM
Its good to have a favourite band. Just dont get too caught up in the hype. Its all just music and all music is relevant to somebody. There may be plenty you dont like, there is plenty I dont like, but that doesnt make it irrelevant. The bands I find most annoying are the ones who take themselves too seriously.

I know :), is just that he asked me why I hate G.C so I gave all my reasons.

crisis
03-07-2004, 05:36 PM
I know :), is just that he asked me why I hate G.C so I gave all my reasons.
I used to get all serious and pissed off about music I didnt like. Then I got older and started to like some of the stuff I used to hate. Thats when I realised there wasnt anything wrong with the music, there was something wrong with me.
By the way I love the Darkness, its playing constantly in my car. It sounds pretty cool but is so funny. Saw thes guys live , what a laugh.

Batmobile_Turbo
03-07-2004, 06:34 PM
I used to get all serious and pissed off about music I didnt like. Then I got older and started to like some of the stuff I used to hate. Thats when I realised there wasnt anything wrong with the music, there was something wrong with me.
By the way I love the Darkness, its playing constantly in my car. It sounds pretty cool but is so funny. Saw thes guys live , what a laugh.
yes that's why i like them, they are funny yet serious, all of their music vids are funny.