PDA

View Full Version : MG name to be rekindled???

Jack_Bauer
02-22-2006, 10:11 AM
Looks like the first significant step has been taken in resurrecting MG cars from the grave. It was always hoped that Nanjing Automotive would use the Longbridge site to carry on some sort of production, but things have been worryingly quiet for the past 9/10 months since MG Rover went under. Seems things are finally looking up! :)

Chinese firm signs Rover plant deal

A "landmark" deal opening the way for car production at the site of the collapsed Rover car business has been signed.

Chinese firm Nanjing Automobile Association agreed a 33-year lease with the owners of the huge Longbridge site in the West Midlands.

Site owner St Modwen said it was now looking forward to a "long and fruitful" relationship with Nanjing, which bought MG Rover for £50 million last summer.

The Chinese company said it could now move forward with its business plan to build cars at Longbridge.

The agreement, signed in a ceremony at the Longbridge plant in Birmingham, is for Nanjing to take the 33-year lease at a rent of around £1.8 million a year on 105 acres of the 469-acre site.

The deal covers the South Works of the former MG Rover plant, incorporating two car assembly plants, the paint shop and administrative offices.

The terms of the lease incorporate a six-month break clause in case Nanjing is unable to confirm a viable long-term future for the site.

Wang Hongbiao, chairman of Nanjing, said: "I am delighted that we have reached an arrangement with St Modwen Properties. This means that we can move forward with our business plan to build cars at Longbridge.

"The MG brand is famous and we are proud to project it into an exciting future. We are grateful for the help and support Birmingham City Council has given us throughout this process and look forward to working with them in the future."

Bill Oliver, chief executive of St Modwen Properties, described the agreement as opening a new chapter in the long history of car production in Birmingham

The_Canuck
02-22-2006, 03:01 PM
I'm pretty sure this is either a repost or old news but it's good news either way.

Matra et Alpine
02-22-2006, 03:22 PM
I'm pretty sure this is either a repost or old news but it's good news either way.
The lease runs out this month on the plant.
The signing of this new 33 year lease is TODAYS NEWS.
It suggests that the "old" news that Nanjing bought up Rover assets isn't limited to the name and that they are serious about restarting production of something.

Zytek_Fan
02-22-2006, 04:23 PM
Does anybody know why there were Judd XV675 engines rebadged as MG engines?

h00t_h00t
02-22-2006, 04:44 PM
Was it in an MG? The old Honda engined rovers didn't have honda badges on them.

Matra et Alpine
02-22-2006, 05:11 PM
Does anybody know why there were Judd XV675 engines rebadged as MG engines?
Because they were developed for the MG Xpower entry to Le Mans
Didnt' know they were ever "rebadged" though.
But coudl imagine some people calling them the MG engine :D

Blitz_
02-22-2006, 05:54 PM
Hmm MG returning, is that really a good thing? I always saw the "new" MG's as a dog of a brand, they really didn't meet with the competition, shocking interior's and a lack of performance..

Perhaps there is some hope though, that the badge can be re-vitalised and refreshed with a new line of better designed, more powerful cars.

johnnynumfiv
02-22-2006, 06:32 PM
Perhaps a new midget will come out of this :)

2ndclasscitizen
02-23-2006, 12:56 AM
na, lets see a new MGB GT V8, maybe a TVR or Morgan competitor

Coventrysucks
02-23-2006, 02:20 AM
Hmm MG returning, is that really a good thing? I always saw the "new" MG's as a dog of a brand, they really didn't meet with the competition, shocking interior's and a lack of performance..

Perhaps there is some hope though, that the badge can be re-vitalised and refreshed with a new line of better designed, more powerful cars.

That's because MGRover didn't have the money to invest.

Nanjing don't have the knowledge to make them ggod enough, unless they are keeping the old MG engineers on.

I don't know who they think they are going to sell an MGTF to though.

h00t_h00t
02-23-2006, 04:21 PM
Some people bought them. I believe one of the Chinese/Korean companys owns the rights to build the Lotus Elan.