PDA

View Full Version : Only slightly OT - Chernobyl ride

Matra et Alpine
03-06-2004, 02:32 PM
Was sent this by biker mate.

http://www.alexburke.ca/pripyat/

This women rides her Kawasaki bike around Chernobyl because the streets are empty and she can go fast !!

The photos on the side are quite sad, but also cheering in that nature is rebuilding whilst mans efforts decay.

Profound, huh :)

Mustang
03-06-2004, 02:41 PM
Thats hmn... a bit un-normal. Why dont she just go to the Autobarn there she could drive fast and she wouldnt be where there is any radiation. Guess she didnt think of that, but i suppose it would be quoite a way to go (Germany) just to ride fast along a road.

Matra et Alpine
03-06-2004, 03:01 PM
Thats hmn... a bit un-normal. Why dont she just go to the Autobarn there she could drive fast and she wouldnt be where there is any radiation. Guess she didnt think of that, but i suppose it would be quoite a way to go (Germany) just to ride fast along a road.
She mentions riding streets, junctions etc.
So it's not the same.
She's still crazy for wanting to do what she does !!

I've driven the Autobahn often. I would consider it near suicide to ride a motorbike fast on any of them.
German drivers ( sorry guys but I've seen this with 4 different people ) drive quickly in the belief that their cars can handle it. Often forgetting that when it's wet NOTHING helps you stop !
I've sat in many traffic jams whilst accidents are cleared up on A3 and A5.
It's very sobering to see a 50+ car pile-up ( I missed my flight over that one )

Also, not all drivers pay attention in their rear view mirrors.
They DO sometimes pull out when only doing 160km (100mph). If you're doing 240km (150mph) in outside lane that is STILL a closing speed of 50mph and that can STILL hurt and trying to stop a bike VERY quickly WILL drop you on your side :(

No thanks.

BTW, German motorbike riders all come to the Isle of Man for the TT each year so that they can ride fast on the roads on the Island. Most accidents on the island involve German riders. Sad fact.

NoOne
03-06-2004, 03:24 PM
Almost unbelievable ... the only things I could think about was "how soon we forget" and "how lucky the rest of us are".

I read the story, and found myself staring at the pictures, I'm not sure if it was disbelief, my own desire not to believe ... or just a surreal like feeling, but again the resounding "how can we have forgotten this tragedy".

I found myself returning to the third page, and the line "Actually, some people coming back to their homes and settle down, those mostly old people who do not care if they die today or tomorrow. important is to die at home."

For me a very moving post, I couldn't get past the images to even consider no speed limits, red lights or law enforcement. Thank you.

henk4
03-06-2004, 03:37 PM
This is a very sad story. I don't even think that the biker lady will have much pleasure driving there, knowing the average quality of Russian (now Ukranian)roads. This is pothole galore and even more dangerous than the German Autobahn.

Matra et Alpine
03-06-2004, 03:46 PM
This is a very sad story. I don't even think that the biker lady will have much pleasure driving there, knowing the average quality of Russian (now Ukranian)roads. This is pothole galore and even more dangerous than the German Autobahn.
From some of the text, it seems there are many new housing buildings which were never used. So it may be that there are many new roads which never saw traffic.
Whatever, I found the whole site quite disturbinh on many levels :(

henk4
03-07-2004, 02:45 AM
From some of the text, it seems there are many new housing buildings which were never used. So it may be that there are many new roads which never saw traffic.
Whatever, I found the whole site quite disturbinh on many levels :(

If this lady really is a hero then we might invite her for a ride on the Paris Peripherique. It appears that riders there have a about the highest suicidal inclination that I ever encountered in traffic. ;)