PDA

View Full Version : Lamborghini Murcielago LP640

carsnut
02-24-2006, 09:38 PM
The New Lamborghini Murcielago LP640

The new Lamborghini Murcielago LP640 features considerable innovations in terms of body design and mechanics. And also with a new name: Murcielago LP640, which refers to its engine position - longitudinale posteriore - and to its power 640 bhp. Designers and engineers have not only focused on reworking the engine, suspensions, gearbox, exhaust system, brakes and electronics, but also the interior and exterior design; improvements that make the Murcielago LP 640 the most extreme and fastest sports car in its class, placing it at the very top.

The first vehicles will be available in spring 2006. Since the original Murcielago’s debut at the 2001 International Car Show (IAA) in Frankfurt, around 2,000 vehicles have left the car plant in Sant’ Agata Bolognese.

Unmistakable Lamborghini Design

In their reinterpretation of the Lamborghini Murcielago LP640, the designers at the Lamborghini Style Centre have remained true to the traditional Lamborghini principles of purism, sport and function. The Murcielago LP640 now appears even more aggressive, with the new front and rear bumpers contributing significantly to its appearance. The exhaust system terminal has been incorporated in the diffuser on the rear bumper. Other innovations include the rear lights, which enhance the distinguishing features of the Murcielago LP640, making it unmistakable even at night. The design of the sides is also worth mentioning: while the area behind the air intake on the right side is practically closed, the left side features a vast aperture for cooling the oil radiator. Together with the aerodynamically defined front and rear, this proves yet again that the shape of a Lamborghini is dictated by function.

More Powerful Engine

The engine of the new Murcielago LP640 has undergone outstanding and radical modification. The increased bore and longer stroke have boosted the displacement of the classic 60° V-engine from 6.2 liters to 6.5 liters. Thus the already extraordinary 580 bhp engine power has now been elevated to an impressive peak of 640 bhp at 8,000 rpm. The 12-cylinder engine reaches a maximum torque of 487 lb-ft at 6,000 rpm.

The new Murcielago LP640 features a modified sixratio gearbox as well as a tougher rear differential and new axle shafts. On request, the e-gear automatic gearbox is also available equipped with the new
dedicated “Thrust” (acceleration programme) mode.

Frame and Chassis: Perfect Harmony

The body of the Murcielago LP640 with its characteristic scissor doors is created from the prized union of sheet steel and honeycombed carbon fiber, glued and riveted together.

Driving, handling and stability at high speed are enhanced by new springs and stabilizers, as well as by a redesigned electronically controlled damper. The "antidive" and "anti-squat" features on the axles, which efficiently prevent so-called "brake diving" and "squatting", have not been changed. The two springs on every rear wheel, the single spring on every front wheel and the damper are placed coaxially.

Optional Ceramic Carbon Brakes

The dual hydraulic circuit brake system equipped with a vacuum brake booster ensures considerable deceleration values. The self-ventilating front and rear brake disks measure 380 mm x 34 mm and 355 mm x 32 mm respectively. The control circuit of the four-channel anti-blocking system (ABS) with electronic brake control (DRP) and traction control (TCS) features a new characteristic curve. The system consists in an electro-hydraulic control unit and four speed sensors.

When particularly high braking performance is required, it is possible to equip the vehicle with 380 mm x 36 mm ceramic carbon brakes featuring six-piston brake calipers.

Even More Exclusive Interior

The seats in the cockpit have undergone the most radical changes; more spacious and equipped with redesigned head restraints, the seats now ensure better comfort. The leather upholstery features lozenge-shaped stitching called "Q-citura". The same design is recaptured on the upholstery on the door panels, the panel between the seats and the engine compartment, and on the roof panel.

A new instrument panel has been developed with lights featuring a new graphic design, flanked by a new Kenwood car radio with a 6.5” widescreen monitor and DVD, MP3 and WMA player. An optional navigation system is also available (standard in Japan).

Damn that car looks good;)

carsnut
02-24-2006, 09:39 PM
more pics. the diamond pattern looks nice

oops, its a repost............................................ .................................................. .......and i liked the car soooooo much i was hoping to be the first one to post it :(

HondaNSX
02-25-2006, 01:56 AM
more pics. the diamond pattern looks nice

oops, its a repost............................................ .................................................. .......and i liked the car soooooo much i was hoping to be the first one to post it

but i still looks good...

Merrill
02-25-2006, 03:36 AM
Man looks SO MUCH BETTER than the current model.

clutch-monkey
02-25-2006, 04:21 AM
Man looks SO MUCH BETTER than the current model.
i was thinking the exact opposite

Rijoh
02-25-2006, 06:16 AM
oops, its a repost............................................ .................................................. .......and i liked the car soooooo much i was hoping to be the first one to post it :(
NO, it was first posted by ME of course:p

carsnut
02-25-2006, 01:36 PM
NO, it was first posted by ME of course:p
'
only mine are hi-res

Rijoh
02-26-2006, 10:57 AM
'
only mine are hi-res
Higher res here: http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23497

Viper007
02-26-2006, 11:33 AM
Beautiful car, i cant wait to go to lamborghini atlanta and see one of these badboys.

rev440
02-26-2006, 11:55 AM
I think the lambo guys have learned a thing or to from Pagani. The seats are like the zondas in there pattern, to bad they cant copy the zondas weight and horse to make a potent new lambo.

Larsen
03-01-2006, 01:58 PM
Nice rims and a nice car

nopassn
03-01-2006, 02:15 PM
I think the lambo guys have learned a thing or to from Pagani. The seats are like the zondas in there pattern, to bad they cant copy the zondas weight and horse to make a potent new lambo.

Don't kid yourself in to thinking that Pagani pioneered the quilted seats...

derekthetree
03-01-2006, 02:23 PM
Don't kid yourself in to thinking that Pagani pioneered the quilted seats...

i wonder if they wrap the cows in chicken wire to get that effect... :)

dydzi
03-01-2006, 03:22 PM

this kind of pattern is known easily for about 300 years

tuk3410
03-07-2006, 01:02 PM
man i love that car
i have been looking at it on google for ages

Pellit
03-07-2006, 02:24 PM
oh man that is one damn good looking car, i bet it performs well

tuk3410
03-07-2006, 02:40 PM
oh man that is one damn good looking car, i bet it performs well

What Lambo doesn't perform well?
I would love to own that car!

03-07-2006, 03:35 PM
What Lambo doesn't perform well?
the Lambo tractor...

F1_Master
03-07-2006, 06:16 PM
the Lambo tractor...
Which was before Lamborghini cars even rolled out of a factory.

P3RG4R3C
03-08-2006, 06:44 AM
They still produce tractors.

tuk3410
03-08-2006, 07:37 AM
They still produce tractors.

mmmmmmmmmm.... bet they go like stink!
they do perform well, for the job they do!

sunk
03-08-2006, 09:17 AM
Any news on the performance specs?
Can it outperform a F430? I think yes.

sunk
03-08-2006, 09:19 AM
mmmmmmmmmm.... bet they go like stink!
No they don't.....

P3RG4R3C
03-08-2006, 10:21 AM
Can it outperform a F430?

Definitely. :D

tuk3410
03-08-2006, 10:40 AM
No they don't.....
sarcasm!

t0p5ecret
03-08-2006, 04:17 PM
rev440 are you kidding? you don't consider a Lamborghini that can sprint from 0-100 kph in 3.4 seconds potent?

F1_Master
03-08-2006, 06:25 PM
Rumors inside the factory and from a while back said thoughts (not designs) of a Murcielago GT were also possible.

250 GTO
03-08-2006, 06:26 PM
That's what Murcielago should look like.

PrevlingPushrod
03-08-2006, 06:57 PM
I think I... wait...Yeah, I just s*** myself. It looks nice

Triball
09-04-2006, 09:10 AM
This is very good car.

Cyco
03-12-2007, 06:26 AM
Well after much drooling and review reading I finally got behind the wheel of a LP640 today.

Having seen many, and having previously driven a 6.2 car I thought I know what to expect, I was very wrong.

The car was in the same colour the media shots were done in. At time of release I was disappointed that Lamborghini had released such an amazing car in a boring flat grey. This is not the case, the colour is metallic and depending on the light has a slight greenish tinge to it. Interior was black with white stitching and the Carbon Fibre trim kit. Had the options I would choose; Carbon-Ceramic brakes, manual gearbox, black wheels (brilliant with this body colour), glass engine cover, suede wheel. The installed Sat Nav didn't suit the rest of the dash trim 100%, and the parking sensors could have been useful if installed, although I'm not sure how often reverse parking will be done by the owner and there always seems to be plenty of onlookers who would be willing to lend a hand.

First impressions when getting seated were that if possible the position is slightly straighter than the 6.2 car, although still not perfect it is very easy to drive in and also has a much larger range of steering wheel adjustment to allow for ease of driving. Pedal box is still somewhat limited in size and my fairly large shoes catch the brake pedal as I apply the throttle, so the drive was done in socks, but that is not unusual for me - the 6.2 was the same, as are most other super/sports cars. The external mirrors are somewhat limited in hight, but their huge width more than makes up for that, the interior mirror has a rather limited view but the glass engine cover is far better here than the black one is.

With a couple of quick laps around a quiet block to get used to the controls let me know that the steering feel is still wonderfully communicative despite the ride possibly being improved over the old car. I returned to the previous conclusion that the much famed Ferrari open gear gate isn't quite as user friendly as the counterpart from St Agata. Ferrari's gates have rounded fingers at the end of the slots defining the gate, the Lamborghini fingers are chamfered on the side that the gear changes to, which allows a easier flick of the wrist and none of the occasional embarrassment of hitting the finger and ending up in neutral. The clutch is reasonably light, as is the shift and steering allowing it to possibly be used for daily driving if you so desired. As will almost all super/sports cars the turning circle is nothing that anyone would think as something other than bad, but as with all the others thats a trade off in our (the customer's) constant demand for more grip and a better lap time on the 'ring or TG's power lap board.

The thing that really stirs the emotion and puts the smile on the face though is the 12 cylinders just behind your left shoulder (RHD car).

With a displacement of 6.5 litres this gives immense tractability from low revs in pretty much any gear. Whilst this is great it is helped by the amazing sound track that accompanies it. Whit the windows down you pick what ever speed you are doing, find a gap in the traffic (or at a track) and upon depressing the right foot the 1st 1/4 second is taken up by a woosh as the intakes fill and then the wail as the revs rapidly build and the speed piles on in an amazing fashion as you are jammed back against the seat. Thankfully at this point the Carbon-Ceramic brakes were fitted as they allow equally rapid deceleration with low foot effort and have great feel right up to eyeball popping power if you stomp on the pedal hard enough, and even then the grip is so fantastic that it doesn't feel like they car will fire the ABS due to lack of traction. The engine is also much more docile under about 3500rpm and once over this the fireworks really start, the noise increases rapidly as does the power and the shove back in the seat, on an acceleration run merging onto a freeway in 2nd the speed at which the (what I thought was HUGE) gap disappeared so fast it was shocking.

This acceleration is so addictive that on the freeway I unfortunately managed to annoy a Merc driver by letting the gap to the car in front slowly increase to several hundred meters before the right foot got a touch heavy and with the beautiful sound I would be pressed hard back against the seat and rapidly propelled down the road. Every time this happened an immense grin would spread across my face (similar to this one during the recollection) and a desire to keep repeating this.

With all the driving being done on public roads there was no chance to test the handling limits, nor do I think at this stage I'd be able to extract the most out of this car even at a track without much more training than I have yet received, but despite this it felt so docile at low speeds it could be confused for a car that is just designed for boring routine driving.

In conclusion the only negatives are the turning circle and limited foot room, but the rest of the cars strengths make these such minor issues that I would be very happy to work around them on the rare occasions they ever become issues. I would love to have one of these in my garage and once returned from my travels I'll have to ensure that one does end up there.

IWantAnAudiRS6
03-12-2007, 06:54 AM
Brilliant. It sounds like an amazing machine, I'd like to have a shot in one of those sometime! Tempted to cancel your AM order, Chris? ;)

baddabang
03-12-2007, 07:28 AM
I thought cyco was like 16 :confused:

IWantAnAudiRS6
03-12-2007, 07:30 AM
He's just under double that... :p

fa22_raptor
03-12-2007, 07:49 AM
Wow! That's pretty amazing! How'd you manage to end up behind the wheel of one of those puppies? :o

Ferrer
03-12-2007, 09:30 AM
Cyco, I hate you... :p

Jack_Bauer
03-12-2007, 09:39 AM
That sounds awesome Cyco.

My local circuit, Croft, has this season got a hold of a shiny new LP640 for use on their Driving Experience days.

http://croftcircuit.co.uk/driving-experience-lamborghini-murcielago.php

I'm sorely tempted to go book myself on one, but it's too damn hard to justify spending £325 for just 4 laps in a Lambo. If anyone's got a few hundred quid going spare that they'd like to donate then PM me! :p

carbrochuretom
03-12-2007, 02:57 PM
all i can say is mmmmmmmmmmm

Cyco
03-12-2007, 06:28 PM
Jack, I don't know how well funded you are but whist the LP640 is a stunning car at the same circuit I'd be most tempted by the F Renault cars.

clutch-monkey
03-12-2007, 08:24 PM
Cyco, I hate you... :p
so do we, but for completely different reasons :D

no problems fitting in it chris? did you drive barefoot...

McReis
03-13-2007, 04:02 AM
I thought cyco was like 16 :confused:
He is not THAT childish! :D

Jack_Bauer
03-13-2007, 08:38 AM
Jack, I don't know how well funded you are but whist the LP640 is a stunning car at the same circuit I'd be most tempted by the F Renault cars.

Been there, done that. ;)

Although I wouldn't mind doing it again sometime, it was awesome.

Cyco
03-14-2007, 01:41 AM
He is not THAT childish! :D

Don't be so sure :o :p

Mäusekino
03-14-2007, 01:45 AM
i wonder if they wrap the cows in chicken wire to get that effect... :)

:confused: what's chicken wire??????????

clutch-monkey
03-14-2007, 01:49 AM
:confused: what's chicken wire??????????
wire fencing commonly used to fence in chickens or other types of fowl

Mäusekino
03-14-2007, 01:55 AM
That sounds awesome Cyco.
I'm sorely tempted to go book myself on one, but it's too damn hard to justify spending £325 for just 4 laps in a Lambo.

it's a f***ing Lambo. for damn hell sure it's worth the money. you won't have many opportunities like that in your life - well nearly nobody will - so grab that chance

btw the new bat (murcielago) looks very good and a lot better than the old version, and it's still a wicked, mad, weird bastard to drive and goes like hell. i hope audi will not destroy that special lambo-character in the future.

Mäusekino
03-14-2007, 01:57 AM
wire fencing commonly used to fence in chickens or other types of fowl

thanks, but why didn't he just say barbwire?

Cyco
03-14-2007, 02:01 AM
Barbed wire is very different to chicken wire, of which I've attached a pic

clutch-monkey
03-14-2007, 02:04 AM
thanks, but why didn't he just say barbwire?
because you don't use barbed wire to keep chickens in..
see chris' post :)

Barbed wire is very different to chicken wire, of which I've attached a pic

Ingolstadt
03-14-2007, 03:30 AM

In that case, it should've been called Human Wire. :D

http://www.jihadwatch.org/archives/marine%20dismantles%20barbed%20wire.jpg

Mäusekino
03-14-2007, 04:57 AM

an electric fence would be fun to...
http://www.cartoonstock.com/lowres/rst0033l.jpg

The_Canuck
03-14-2007, 08:18 AM
Looks great in orange...