PDA

View Full Version : VE packing the pounds

fpv_gtho
02-27-2006, 11:44 PM
http://drive.com.au/editorial/article.aspx?id=11151&vf=2&bg=32&pp=0

Due in August, the VE is expected to be around 150 kilograms heavier than the VZ it will replace, which is the last of the VT-based models that first arrived in 1997.

Obviously a sign of the any unreliable media sources. Other sources have the weight gain at 230kg.

I dont know how much good DoD will do however though. Tuned wrong it could forever be switching from 4 to 8 cylinders

charged
02-28-2006, 12:11 AM
http://drive.com.au/editorial/article.aspx?id=11151&vf=2&bg=32&pp=0

Obviously a sign of the any unreliable media sources. Other sources have the weight gain at 230kg.

I dont know how much good DoD will do however though. Tuned wrong it could forever be switching from 4 to 8 cylinders If its putting on that type of weight, it will be thirsty. I think the only time the dod will be on is when its going down hill, which is most times closed throttle operation and fuel consumpstion will be at its lowest. Will probably activate went its crusing at 110km/h, with the rediculous final drive ratio:p will only be activated on flat or downhill runs. Anything resembling a slight incline and it will need all cylinders firing.:D

fpv_gtho
02-28-2006, 12:40 AM
It'll be interesting how they sort the suspension. They seem a bit hard for alot of peoples tastes atm

Blue Supra
02-28-2006, 12:48 AM
either that or youll have to punch it hard to make all of em kick in.

who cares. 150 kilos is like carry 1 large or 2 average passengers and i dont notice fuel economy drop horrifically when i have 2 people in the car...

fpv_gtho
02-28-2006, 12:51 AM
having that mass as a permanent fixture of the car though has its toll. Before Ford released the 6spd auto, some models had about 1.5-1L worse fuel economy than an equivalent commodore.

Blue Supra
02-28-2006, 12:54 AM
1L worse = max $8-9 a tank
1 tank per week per year = 8x52= $416 a year

i know i already spend over 5 grand on fuel a year. whats the big deal? who is SERIOUSLY going to notice $8 a week when they can afford a brand new car?

fpv_gtho
02-28-2006, 01:19 AM
Well these days fuel consumption probably has too much emphasis on it because of the oil crisis

2ndclasscitizen
02-28-2006, 02:57 AM
going by their current weights, that means a Clubbie will be a touch heavier than a GT

Blitz_
02-28-2006, 07:45 AM
To be honest, there is too much hype on inflating fuel prices, my dad isn't complaining about $10 more a week or something around that figure. It's all about spreading the numbers across a vast audience and emphasising them over and over again until we think a 1c increase is the end of the world and the birth of public transport for all v8 owners...

SlickHolden
02-28-2006, 09:40 AM
Thats to different weights i see also. I wonder how they work them out, Is it the heaviest car from the VE weighed over the lightest car from the VZ?
Or both base models?
Also the 6 speed auto will help a little out, And if people think that a Transmission doesn't help at all listen to this.
My old Tranny got me a best of 366km on a full tank bone dry. That was with something like a run on the ringroad to the end and back. To Werribee twice, Up to Campbellfield twice, And a couple of little trips on the freeway not much local driving at all. On a normal 2 weeks with a full tank i would get 250km. Firs 2 weeks after the new Tranny i got 300km and it might have gone 10-20 more easy, Now if i did that same run that gave me 366km i would have got over 400km easy. And all that is because i can now drive along and my gears will shift up without holding longer as they did in the past. I can get into top gear @ 50kp/h now, Before it would hold 3rd and i had to left up to make it shift. Now it will change under 2000rpm so easy. And this week i have half a tank left and have drove 170k/m. So imagine what a 6 speed can do over a 4 speed, keep them gear changes coming fast keep that economy down great. My brother said to me if you got a great engine and a shit tranny you would be worse off then if you had a good tranny and a shit engine. Cause a good tranny can make a difference.

I had 5 in my car the other day and noticed the exhaust rubs:(

Blue Supra
02-28-2006, 04:53 PM
my echaust hits things with just me in it :p

and its still standard height :D

SlickHolden
02-28-2006, 10:19 PM
Does it hit @ 180kp/h:D in 3rd:D That's a nice big exhaust you got at the rear to:)