PDA

View Full Version : some cars are controversial and are simply beautiful

cro
05-03-2003, 02:41 AM
take alfa romeo- none of their cars look like anything else-- all their designs are fairly controversial and original and different but they are all beautiful. You have cars like an audi that people say are beautiful but really any carmaker can do one the same. not many car makers can make a car like an a.r. and thats why they are so good lookin- the 156, 147, gtv, spider, brera, kamal, 166, 156 SportWagon even the 146 and 155 are good looking cars. So you can still be controversial but create a car that is simply beautiful. Chris Bangle and Partrik le Quement are trying to do what alfa is doing by making originally beautiful cars- Bangle is just making cars that are difficult to look at (i get the impression this is done intentionally to creat intimidation) and Patrik le Quement is just doing something that people invisage as the car of the future (but is just a fantasy because the future ain't gonna be all space ships- not yet anyway).They just can't do it like alfa!

Kossy
05-03-2003, 02:42 AM
I like Bangles designs

motorhead
05-03-2003, 04:07 AM
alfas have his problem. they only look nice when they first come out. after a while their cars tend tro be too boring, but only the GTA models and the GTV and spider have a bit of class. their cars are not ugly yet not stunning.

kinan.f
05-03-2003, 10:53 AM
I agree with the fact that only ALFA may give us these designs & no one else...

Meluion
05-03-2003, 02:54 PM
Alfa Romeo has even made a car with a F1 V10 engine in it, the 164 ProCar, sadly... it stayed a unique car.

motorhead
05-03-2003, 11:59 PM
the BRERA is a real killer - i know it is 1/3 italdesign, 1/3 maserati and 1/3 alfa but it still has the alfa badge so it is considered an alfa romeo

Meluion
05-05-2003, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by motorhead
the BRERA is a real killer - i know it is 1/3 italdesign, 1/3 maserati and 1/3 alfa but it still has the alfa badge so it is considered an alfa romeo
Is it's engine from Maserati than?

GTS25t
05-05-2003, 12:11 PM
Maybe it's an Aussie thing, but I'll back up Kossy and give Bangle a nod of approval.

:)

ozi
05-07-2003, 03:48 AM
take a look at this beauty:
yugo al neĉe dugo!

crisis
05-15-2003, 08:14 PM
If Bangle is trying to imitate Alfa then all is revealed. No wonder his designs stink. I could count the good looking Alfas on one hand and thats being generous. You can stick Peugots, Renaults, Citroens in this pile too. Although I dont think Id need one finger to count the good looking Renaults and Citroens. Anything reasonable out of Europe has to cost big bucks ie Aston Martin (although European is contentious), Porsche, Ferrrari, Lambo etc. Even BMW, for all of their brilliance are not particularly stunning to look at, M3s excepted. But until Chris Mangle they were not OTT.

IBrake4Rainbows
05-17-2003, 02:03 AM
Bangle trying to impersonate Alfa Romeo? Before Bangle worked in BMW, he worked in Fiat, as in the Fiat that owns Alfa, and designed the Coupe.
Now Alfa designs are never really that beautiful in the conventional sense of beauty lasting long, they age as well as milk most of the time. But if anything the Parent company, Fiat is more daring in designs, most of the alfas( 156, 166, 147) were designed by Walter Da Silva, of Audi Nuvolari Concept fame. while Fiats designs, some, like the stilo, are Germanic, others like the Multipla, are just plain ugly. Bangle is just mangling BMW, and he'll continue to do so for a long time yet, Judging by previous BMW desing chiefs. But at least it['s different. I have been a vocal disapprover of Bangle, but the 5 has been toned down, to the point of me liking it a lot actually.... and the Three will be no more radical. The age of the Taxi ass and Flame Surfacing is over.

YIPPIE!!!!!!!

Luciferous
12-06-2004, 09:18 AM
*NOTE: Talking 'bout new Alfa's here...

Alfa's look really pretentious to me. The bodywork, sometimes elegant, mostly not, hides lazy mechanics and shitty dynamics. They are cars bought by poseurs who have no idea about cars beyond the Italian badge on the front. Alfa rank in my list of most disliked car makers. They have a trademark grille that they don't even bother to shape into the car properly. However, design-wise, they do have a lot of potential for beauty, as demonstrated by Pininfarina.

But I have noticed the similarity between flame-surfaced Beemer's and Alfa's, particularly on the side body panels.

Matra et Alpine
12-06-2004, 09:46 AM
Wow, I've found all decent Alfa's ( ie not the cheapest ones ) to have excellent 'dynamics' - pretty good handling along with a strong engine and beautiful note.
Hmmm, what Alfa's do you get down there ?

Luciferous
12-06-2004, 09:53 AM
To be honest I really like the Alfa's engines. Beyond that....

The shitty dynamics are the simple drawbacks for trying to make FWD sports cars. Over here, FWD isn't as big, so the inherent dynamics flaws aren't as easily forgiven. To pay as much money for an Alfa to get a driving experience like that, No thanks I'll pick something else.

Matra et Alpine
12-06-2004, 10:02 AM
Granted FWD not ideal in the Australian roads outside of the towns ( and even IN some of the towns from what I'm reading elsewhere ).

Different cars for different roads. Alfa are for fast tarmac :)

Luciferous
12-06-2004, 10:08 AM
Even in the cities our roads leave a bit to be desired. Funny thing is that our Monaro gets 18inch alloys as standard, but the GTO gets 17inch jobbies, presumably because of the worse condition of the roads. However, when we get cars from say, VW, if we get the US suspension setup it seems to crash over poor surfacing and gives shitty ride quality, whereas if its the Euro setup gives the best ride. Just seems a bit strange...

Matra et Alpine
12-06-2004, 10:25 AM
No surprise - European manufacturers 'soften' the ride for US markets.
There's an expectation of "smoothness" over undulations and bumps that are at odds with European prefernce for precise handling and control.
If you get the woolier US settings - lifes a bitch huh :(

RS6
12-06-2004, 02:35 PM
I will always love Alfa Romeo. I like the look of practically every model, and seeing as I am a petrolhead, I take style and looks over reliability.

QuattroMan
12-06-2004, 03:15 PM
Chris Bangle did nothing but destroying BMW, his design suck please don't try to credit this fool....for any thing ......

QuattroMan
12-06-2004, 03:16 PM
Chris Bangle did nothing but destroying BMW, his design suck please don't try to credit this fool....for any thing ......

oh ps i love Alfa Romeo this car is one of my fav's....

ashes2ashes
12-06-2004, 03:36 PM
I don't know that much about Alfa other than the fact that they have a unique design that some call beautiful. However it seems Bangle is not trying to create a "unique style" as much as he is trying to "modernise" the BMW and fit it in todays high tech, fast paced world of glass buildings, sharp angles, and rounded contours. Most car makers are leaning towards the same although not to the extent of BMW. But I know I am not the only one who has seen the similarity between the 5 series and the 05 Honda Accord (and every other Asian Car Maker).

my porsche
12-06-2004, 03:36 PM

damn straight!! man i agree with everything that come off this guys keyboard

CdocZ
12-06-2004, 03:37 PM
im american, know hardly anything about normal everyday european cars, and i know for a fact that alfas are nice, nice cars. arent they supposed to come back to america in like 2007 or something? that would be awesome!

Spastik_Roach
12-06-2004, 04:02 PM
Most Alfas are beautiful escept that rebadged Nissan Pulsar/Sunny one in the Ugly cars thread...

jcp123
12-06-2004, 04:27 PM
No surprise - European manufacturers 'soften' the ride for US markets.
There's an expectation of "smoothness" over undulations and bumps that are at odds with European prefernce for precise handling and control.
If you get the woolier US settings - lifes a bitch huh :(

They do it probably because people such as myself really prefer the softer ride. Heck, I'm in the "the softer, the better" camp. Hence, Cadillacs :)

triumphstag
05-06-2005, 04:23 AM
Alfa's are nicely designed, but the 166 is hideous!
LOoks like an overweight aging 156.
I dont think the others have dated badly, the 145 still looks good to me.
I'd say you'll have your wish for the end of the FWD performance Alfa's, 4wd or Rwd when they share chassis with Maserati.
No use if the electrics windows dont open!!!!

Alfasudcrazy
05-06-2005, 02:15 PM
This is my new GT the day I collected it from the showroom. Its quite a nice design and also very good to drive on the road.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/Alfasudcrazy/GT3.jpg

This was a great thread CRO - its nice to see someone can appreciate the beauty and value Alfa's bring to an otherwise dull car market. :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/Alfasudcrazy/barchettacockpit.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/Alfasudcrazy/barchetta3.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/Alfasudcrazy/barchetta2.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/Alfasudcrazy/Barchetta.jpg

AlfaRomeo2598
05-06-2005, 05:35 PM
Alfa is always different many other cars tend to have the same look take a look at the Mazda 6, and the Acura it doesnt take idiot to see the same exact grill, and the Ford Focus, Honda Civic Type R, Toyota Corolla,ect. Have the same styled headlights a 3 point triangle that sweeps back, Not to mention the newer BMWs front grill is going Pontiac. Alfa Romeo is Just a different car with its own personality and own looks No car maker in the world has a front end like Alfa Rome and if Alfa Romeo ever got rid of that grill then it wouldnt be a Alfa Romeo. Its too bad that such a mark with great racing history had to be bought out by a company that didn't keep such a great marks hertige alive instead pull them out of a great market in the 90s here in the USA. Then try to say that they were loosing money here which everybody knew that, that was BS since FIAT didnt give Alfa time to grow up here in the states and who knows what an impact it would of been here with the other car makers,hopefully We'll see these guys again.

Rockefella
05-06-2005, 08:10 PM
Alfa Romeo is Just a different car with its own personality and own looks No car maker in the world has a front end like Alfa Rome and if Alfa Romeo ever got rid of that grill then it wouldnt be a Alfa Romeo.
Don't want to rain on your parade so to speak but the kidney grille of BMW absolutely OWNS the history of Alfa Romeo's grille. Once you see those two ovals you know in a second what it is. :cool: (It's been on bimmers for about 75 years)

Spastik_Roach
05-07-2005, 01:27 AM
Don't want to rain on your parade so to speak but the kidney grille of BMW absolutely OWNS the history of Alfa Romeo's grille. Once you see those two ovals you know in a second what it is. :cool: (It's been on bimmers for about 75 years)

I hardly think it owns the Alfa romeo grille. Alfa grille has been around for nearly as long, and is also very recognisable (My parents recognise it, and they know very little about cars)

teatako
06-13-2006, 08:44 PM
gee. i never thought anyone ever could consider the 147 anything other than styling nirvana, especially the TI models. have you ever been in one of those?

too bad they´re not exactly exciting to drive , it felt like a minivan , so detached...and that´s why i dont have one (not the TI version, i couldnt afford it, but if i could i would forgive its unsporting dynamics)

kingofthering
06-13-2006, 09:46 PM
I like Bangles designs
How does this guy get the title of LORD BLACKADDER. How do you change it?

DesmoRob
06-13-2006, 10:24 PM
I like Bangles designs

I had trouble getting used to them at first, but I'm fine with them now. The only thing he really messed up when he began was the 7series, which is now fixed IMO. His second screwup was the 5series which underwent one hell of a drastic design change from its predecessors, but I'm used to that now too. I think he's doing the right thing, people just need to lighten up and accept change. I get the impression that "bangle sucks" is just another one of those things that people say to fit in, he's really not that bad. Too many people make it seem like his cars are the end of BMW and the world as we know it. BMWs are amazing cars and their new designs may take some getting used to, but when they do finally click, boy are they ever nice. Just give'em a chance people.

IBrake4Rainbows
06-14-2006, 12:09 AM
One of the oldest threads in the forums and people managed to revive it?

This is some minor miracle.

henk4
06-14-2006, 12:19 AM
One of the oldest threads in the forums and people managed to revive it?

This is some minor miracle.

the fluidity of membership...

john14
06-14-2006, 03:15 AM
Origibally posted by Kossy
I like Bangles designs

Kossy, I love most of BMW's Bangle designed as well. The BMW 1-series is the only Bangle designed BMW which I do not like. However, I probably have quite different "car design preferences" when my preferences compared to other people's car design preferences. After all, I love the Porsche Cayenne design and physical appearance. :eek: