PDA

View Full Version : About to buy an mr2...

suzi666
02-28-2006, 01:27 PM
Hi Guys,

Im about to buy a 2004 mr2 vvt-i, see attached pic. The only thing is it has 42,000 miles on the clock already - what do we think about this? Its a good price but does the high milage mean it's been run into the ground already?

Cheers

Suzi

scottie300z
02-28-2006, 01:37 PM
the mileage isnt THAT high, what is the price?

nice color by the way.

suzi666
02-28-2006, 01:49 PM
Hi,

It's £10, 500, quite cheap i thought..

Clique
02-28-2006, 02:02 PM
Its a Toyota engine it goes on forever...

Jack_Bauer
02-28-2006, 02:12 PM
Having a quick look on used car websites it seems that 2004 model MR2s seem to average around the &#163;12-13,000 mark but they have barely half the mileage of the one you've found. The reduction in price seems to fit fairly well with the increased mileage so looks a reasonable deal. Is it a private sale or from a dealer? If it's private then ask the previous owner about what kind of mileage it's done. To do that many miles in <2 years would suggest a LOT of motorway miles. Generally speaking doing lots of motorway miles doesn't put a great deal of stress on the car so wear and tear shouldn't be too bad. Plus being a Toyota it'll be fairly bulletproof anyway, especially engine wise.

If you do get a chance to speak to the owner then ask if he's done any trackdays with it. Being such a sporty model it's certainly possible he'll have tracked it, which is obviously a LOT more strenuous than road mileage.

They are great little cars though if you can handle the impracticality of it, I'm sure you won't be disappointed with it! :)

suzi666
02-28-2006, 02:22 PM
Yeah, parkers (online vehicle estimations) say its worth £10,500 with 40k miles. It's trade, unfortunatley cause I'd like to have talked to the owner. Apparently she's a middle aged woman who had 40mile round trip everyday to work...though i dunno how much of that is BS.

Im totally stuck in 2 minds as to what to do. This is the exact model i want, with twin exhaust and everything, its just that its done 40k im a bit unsure if this means it's about to break...somewhere.

What would you do??? :p

Matra et Alpine
02-28-2006, 02:24 PM
WHen you put in a LOCATION we can maybe be morespecific.

( OK *I* put in the effort, youIP is pipex so you're UK, .....

Is it a proper car or a grey import ?
If the latter dont' trust a single thing about the car and find an experienced MR2 club member who knows abotu Japanese mods to look it over. You could a) be buying a stolen car or b) be buying one with the mileag "clocked" or c) one thrashed around the streets of Japan :(

If anyone has been msessing with the boost dont' expect that engine or clutch or gearbox to be in great condition. They're NOT as strong as everyoen makes out. Mate has gone through a clutch, turbo and a liner on #2 cylinder needing a new block. He was running crazy boost and got over 300hp AT THE WHEELS on a reliable dyno !!!!! The car you're looking at may have been there once :(

suzi666
02-28-2006, 02:30 PM
Hi,

Sorry, i never thought to put in a location. Believe it or not, I live near you!

Its not an import, it was purchased brand new at a toyota garage in northhampton where it is just now...that's 300 miles away from Penicuik where i am just now.

Do you think its a big risk buying it with 40k on the clock?

Matra et Alpine
02-28-2006, 02:42 PM
If you can confirm the previous owner and give her a call. Make sure her son wasn't racing it every weekend :D
For normal use, 40K is nothing to the engine and 'box.
Where's the car for sale ? ( No I wont jump in and buy it, but mate may have had a look at it already and have an opinion :) )

suzi666
02-28-2006, 02:47 PM
It's in a garage in northamptonshire which, as i've just found out, is huge. I found it on autotrader:

2004 TOYOTA MR2 Roadster 1.8 6M/T, <---what does this mean??
04 reg. 42000 miles, factory fitted chrome style bar, twin exhaust system and full skirts, external paintwork, hood and internal leather all supagard treated, Taxed, manufacturers warranty, one owner from new, full service history, immaculate condition. £10,500

I have about 7 photos with the lady at the side of it and in the seat with a wee girl so im presuming its been a 'boy racer' free zone.

magracer
02-28-2006, 03:05 PM
Insist on taking it to a certified Toyota garage for a general inspection. It may cost a couple hundred (on you, not the vendor) but it will protect your ten thousand investment. They may come back with many small useless details, but they will surely find if anything major is off.

As MetA said, 40.000 miles is nothing for a Toyota engine (which hasn't been tampered with).

Just yesterday I went for a drive on my sister's 1992 Honda Civic Si with almost 100.000 miles on it, and while the suspensi&#243;n and general adjustment of the car are not that good, the engine felt just as fresh as when she purchased it with 20k miles on it. And I think the general consensus is that Toyota engines are as good or better than Honda.

Also, consult consumer reports for common faults and problem areas of that model and find out if they have been repaired already. If they haven't, they should be in your budget and should/could be used to get a discount.

h00t_h00t
02-28-2006, 05:20 PM
It's in a garage in northamptonshire which, as i've just found out, is huge. I found it on autotrader:

I think it refers to the extras package that the first owner bought.

I'd buy it, after a test drive and some haggleing of course :p

Radoman
02-28-2006, 07:38 PM
EDIT: "1.8 6M/T" refers to it being a 1.8 liter motor mated to a six speed manual transmission. Good stuff, man!

Hi,

Sorry, i never thought to put in a location. Believe it or not, I live near you!

Its not an import, it was purchased brand new at a toyota garage in northhampton where it is just now...that's 300 miles away from Penicuik where i am just now.

Do you think its a big risk buying it with 40k on the clock?

I have an 86' MR2 with 280-some odd thousand KM's on it. Trust me, the only problem it has is a dead alternator, and it's old and been run into the ground.

42K on a Toyota is NOTHING, miles or Kms. Unless, as some have said, it's been thoroughly tweaked and thrashed. Even still, you have about F-A to worry about.

chris98891
02-28-2006, 08:07 PM

1.8 liter with a 6 speed manual transmission i think

Blue Supra
02-28-2006, 08:50 PM
^^^both above answers are correct.

MR2 series 3 is an interesting little car. 40k miles is what... 70,000 kilometres? thats nothing man.

suzi666
02-28-2006, 11:56 PM
Cheers guys you're all fantastic. After hardly any sleep Im 70/30 in favour of getting it.

Ok, i got a consumer guide for MR2's 2000- present...not that its worth &#163;5, but hey.

It says there are 3 faults to look for: oxygen leak in the engine, front tyre wear and leaks in the hood.

It's also just had a &#163;600 major service, any ideas what this would include??

Thanks again everyone!

magracer
03-01-2006, 06:35 AM
It's also just had a £600 major service, any ideas what this would include??

Just ask the seller because it could be anything. Most probably is replacements of fluids and/or belts.

PerfAdv
03-01-2006, 09:52 AM
How is it still under warranty? Does the car have an extended Toyota warranty? In the US, Toyota only has a 3 year/36,000 mile overall warranty. Drivetrain coverage is a little longer. (iirc, 5/60...)

Definitely have it checked out. The dealer should negotiate atleast the price of the independant pre-purchase inspection. Plus it'll buy you some good peace of mind.