PDA

View Full Version : Motor: Aussie PCOTY

fpv_gtho
03-06-2006, 05:14 AM
Motor have - again - compared the best local performance cars from the GTO, DTS Clubby, man+auto XR6T, F6, XR8, GT and SS. Gathered from other forums, its been a Ford white(blue) wash, with the once shameful F6 Typhoon being voted "Australias Best Performance Car", admirably ahead of its XR6T cousins.

SlickHolden
03-06-2006, 06:00 AM
Good for the phoon, Bad for the Boss.
Just like AFL, One kick to make you a villian, One kick to make you a hero:D

Blitz_
03-06-2006, 06:41 AM
w00t, to be honest i had doubts it would, after the whole clutch problem. Then i read the comparo. with the Clubbie, where the 'phoon won, it sparked a little bit of hope..

one thing, is it just me, or do they somehow have the comparisons a little different? What i mean is that the Ford's are always some vibrant, exciting colour, like red, white striped - where as the HSV's or Holdens are always that boring grey-ish colour? haha might be just me, but i notice those kind of things...

magracer
03-06-2006, 12:09 PM
This thread is worthless with out pictures! ;)

Meaning by pictures a scan of the article. Would any of you downunder oblige?

Blue Supra
03-06-2006, 03:06 PM
suprising but not a shocking result.

is that the only cars that did? :confused: isnt there normally a few more then that?

motorsportnerd
03-06-2006, 06:47 PM
Sounds like some sort of Best Aussie Muscle Car shootout, rather than Performance Car of the Year. You only listed Australian cars, whereas PCOTY is open to al performance cars.
I'll get the magazine tonight most likely.

2ndclasscitizen
03-06-2006, 07:17 PM
I've got and read it already, i'll scan it later. Basically what they're gonna do now is break PCOTY into 4, an aussie shootout, Euro shootout, and a US/Japan shootout, with the top 3 from each, plus any 'wildcards' that get released after their respective shootout, in a Grand Final sorta thing.

Top 3 was F6 auto, XR6T manual then XR6T auto, with the DTS only just missing out for being a bit of a one-trick pony. The F6 got the gong because its a very good road car

thatdbeme
03-06-2006, 07:29 PM
so what won the overall thing???

motorsportnerd
03-06-2006, 07:39 PM
Fair enough policy. Good way to fill up four magazines (the three heats and the final).
As long as people don't get too confused and spread around the belief that the winner of one of the heats is the overall winner. I can see that happening.

SlickHolden
03-06-2006, 08:23 PM
I've got and read it already, i'll scan it later. Basically what they're gonna do now is break PCOTY into 4, an aussie shootout, Euro shootout, and a US/Japan shootout, with the top 3 from each, plus any 'wildcards' that get released after their respective shootout, in a Grand Final sorta thing.

Top 3 was F6 auto, XR6T manual then XR6T auto, with the DTS only just missing out for being a bit of a one-trick pony. The F6 got the gong because its a very good road car
It's price would kill it to cause it's overall yeah?

syko
03-06-2006, 10:31 PM
Sounds like a way for them to sell more magazines, or maybe so they can thrash more cars :D

SlickHolden
03-06-2006, 11:47 PM
Yeah dam lucky bastards:p

2ndclasscitizen
03-07-2006, 02:24 AM
It's price would kill it to cause it's overall yeah?
I imagine so, plus the whole holden interior v ford interior

fpv_gtho
03-07-2006, 05:47 AM
I'd imagine the DTS to get in as wildcard if thats the case then.

Not expecting any US cars at all to get in....

SlickHolden
03-07-2006, 05:49 AM
Wish we could view it on the net:D. I think I'll grab a copy tomorrow.

Mr. Jinx
03-07-2006, 06:11 AM
perhaps some of you fellows could scan the article for us :D

fpv_gtho
03-07-2006, 06:12 AM
They still sell PCOTY dvd's right? Maybe someones put theirs up on the net, although if youve got anything less than dialup you may as well clear a month free....

SlickHolden
03-07-2006, 06:28 AM
I have applied for Telstra cable again, But this time they are looking very hard into it, And perhaps this time i can get it if only i pay from the digging and extra wires they need, It could cost $200 to $500 maybe?

nota
03-07-2006, 06:27 PM
Good old Telstra

No mobile phone coverage here, despite being only 30 miles from Parliament House. No broadband either, just a glacially slow dialup split. But apparently they're 'looking very hard into it'. Testra say they require 50 subscribers in their designated area to sign a commitment of interest before they'll look even harder into it

On the upside 3 have signed up so far, including us. On the downside there isn't anything close to 50 residences within our Telstra designated area

thatdbeme
03-07-2006, 09:15 PM
Good old Telstra

No mobile phone coverage here, despite being only 30 miles from Parliament House. No broadband either, just a glacially slow dialup split. But apparently they're 'looking very hard into it'. Testra say they require 50 subscribers in their designated area to sign a commitment of interest before they'll look even harder into it

On the upside 3 have signed up so far, including us. On the downside there isn't anything close to 50 residences within our Telstra designated area
youll get it eventually, people are starting to commute to canberra from there but ive been through recently and its still pretty small at this stage

SlickHolden
03-07-2006, 09:35 PM
Good old Telstra

I got that to and they say privatising was for the best:p.
I was told that if you complain enough they will finally get around to doing something about it.

fpv_gtho
03-07-2006, 10:31 PM
I have applied for Telstra cable again, But this time they are looking very hard into it, And perhaps this time i can get it if only i pay from the digging and extra wires they need, It could cost $200 to $500 maybe?

I'd be inclined to add another "0' to the end of that

2ndclasscitizen
03-07-2006, 11:02 PM
They still sell PCOTY dvd's right? Maybe someones put theirs up on the net, although if youve got anything less than dialup you may as well clear a month free....
they haven't done one since 2003 i think? i have it, its the one with the CSL, RS6 and Gallardo, thats the last PCOTY they made a dvd for

SlickHolden
03-08-2006, 12:26 AM
I'd be inclined to add another "0' to the end of that
I hope not:D They told me if it needs to be a trench or something like that then if i paid for it then it will be much more cheaper. But i told them of the shaft that connects the phone lines what about that, He said maybe they can feed it up there but still i will need to pay for the line that goes from the front to my house. Once it's at the house it's in there hands then.

Blue Supra
03-08-2006, 02:35 PM
Isnt there a big defence building going in bungendore soon? i was reading local people are clamouring for the kings highway to be widened and strengthend as its at its limit now, add an additional 3000ish people trying to get to work on it = death :(

nota
03-09-2006, 01:09 AM
Isnt there a big defence building going in bungendore soon? i was reading local people are clamouring for the kings highway to be widened and strengthend as its at its limit now, add an additional 3000ish people trying to get to work on it = death :(
That defence facility was an election sweetener that keeps on getting scaled back in size, post election. Bungendore doesn't have enough water for it anyway :D btw Canturf (the local commercial lawn growers) hold rights to fully 70% of Bungendore's aquifer!

Luckily we have our own water, we're a bit north of Bungendore closer to Tarago/Lake Bathurst. But the Kings Hwy section is indeed a bit of a menace, an often very narrow 2-lane that winds through the hills. That's why I opted for Mercedes S-Class (albeit 2 older ones) we usually cruise it at 110-120km/h. Worst aspect is those ex-city & now newly-countrified motorists who don't know how to drive on rural roads, lots of them religiously hug the centreline with tyres right on the double lines. As a good driving practice I've always moved over to my left for approaching cars - so what do these idiots do but move further to their right! The shiny new 4WD battle wagons are often the worst offenders - it really must be a psychological thing I think. Plenty of times my sedan has two wheels right off in the rough dirt at 70mph yet these oncoming morons in their supposed 'offroaders' seem afraid to leave the precious blacktop :rolleyes:

charged
03-09-2006, 03:54 PM
Good old Telstra

On the upside 3 have signed up so far, including us. On the downside there isn't anything close to 50 residences within our Telstra designated area Nota I work:rolleyes: for Telstra and you can get Satelite, its bloody expensive though:eek: . If youe more than 4 kays from the exchange ASDL is useless as the signal degrades can go a bit further with a repeater, but not sure on the final figure. There should be some more towers going up everywhere very soon, I have seen the figures for the 3G roll out and to say its huge is an understatement. We have over 200 upgrade/new sites just for S.A. At least it will keep me in a job for a while. My nephew in the same boat with ADSL he is too far away from the exchange and lives in the Burbs. BLOODY TELSTRA

charged
03-09-2006, 04:03 PM
I hope not:D They told me if it needs to be a trench or something like that then if i paid for it then it will be much more cheaper. But i told them of the shaft that connects the phone lines what about that, He said maybe they can feed it up there but still i will need to pay for the line that goes from the front to my house. Once it's at the house it's in there hands then. When I first joined Telstra it was a flat fee no matter what infrastructure work was needed. Now with f--kin user pays it out of reach. Did a job 4 years ago in the NT for a 2 house remote community, we layed 40 kms of fibre,solar panels, digital trans equipetc,etc for 1 telephone, dont know the cost but it wasnt cheap. Once the job was done working etc, the person in the house with the phone burnt the house down and moved to another community, certainly makes you wonder.

Blue Supra
03-09-2006, 06:02 PM
^^^
they werent smokin and off in the dream time were they? :p

Peter PaP
03-09-2006, 09:21 PM
I bought my copy today i would scan it but the thing is i dont have a scanner :(

What i mean is that the Ford's are always some vibrant, exciting colour, like red, white striped - where as the HSV's or Holdens are always that boring grey-ish colour? haha might be just me, but i notice those kind of things...

U mean you dont like that silver colour? I reckon it looks best on the GTO Coupé
especially when in the aussie sun! If they were any colours i was concerned of it would be that bright pink of the XR6T auto, and that greenish colour of the F6 isnt growing on me. Also three turbos up the top was suprising :eek:

For people interested in numbers here you go.

2006 Australian Performance Car Of The Year results:
1st – FPV F6 Typhoon
2nd – Ford Falcon XR6T (Manual)
3rd - Ford Falcon XR6T (Auto)
4th – HSV Clubsport R8 DTS
5th – HSV GTO Coupé
6th – Holden Commodore SS
7th – FORD Falcon XR8
8th – FPV Falcon GT

THE FUEL FIGURES
SS – 14.7L/100km
DTS – 15.0L/100km
XR8 – 17.0L/100km
F6 – 17.2L/100km
GTO – 17.2L/100km
GT – 18.0L/100km

Lap Times at Winton Raceway
1st - HSV Clubsport R8 DTS - 1:42.95
2nd - FPV F6 Typhoon - 1:44.60
3rd - Ford Falcon XR6T (Manual) - 1:44.95
4th - Holden Commodore SS - 1:45.80
5th - Ford Falcon XR6T (Auto) - 1:45.90
6th - HSV GTO Coupé - 1:45.95
7th - FPV Falcon GT - 1:46.05
8th - FORD Falcon XR8 - 1:46.50

The Aussie no shows were:

Elfin Streamliner
Ford Focus XR5 Turbo
HSV Astra Turbo
VE Commodore SS

Statistics from MOTOR magazine 2006 PCOTY.

fpv_gtho
03-09-2006, 09:24 PM
The Aussie no shows were:

Elfin Streamliner
Ford Focus XR5 Turbo
HSV Astra Turbo
VE Commodore SS

Statistics from MOTOR magazine 2006 PCOTY.

For starters, the Elfins are low production and the VE isnt released yet.

The Focus and Astra arent even Australian...

Blitz_
03-09-2006, 09:27 PM
Cheers for posting them up. No suprise that Ford's are still slow. Don't get me wrong, im a blue oval fan, but still, they are overweight bastards with a much needed visit to weight watchers or a good detox. Guffaw! even the SS out gunned the GT around Winton. Fuel wasn't suprisng as well, ss snapped that one up, xr8 is pretty woeful at 17.0L/100km.

About the colour, it just seems to me that most comparisons they give the Ford a vibrant, rich colour, and the Holdens a neautral, silver metallic colour, as if to draw the readers eye to the Ford.

Peter PaP
03-09-2006, 09:33 PM

Dont know thats what was in the book?

About the colour, it just seems to me that most comparisons they give the Ford a vibrant, rich colour, and the Holdens a neautral, silver metallic colour, as if to draw the readers eye to the Ford.

hahahh i seee.. *shifty eyes*

Blitz_
03-09-2006, 10:09 PM
Just curious, i'm not too well informed about the whole technical aspect of cars, but what does an AWD system do for fuel efficiency, say for normal surburban / city use.

Rockefella
03-09-2006, 10:43 PM
Just curious, i'm not too well informed about the whole technical aspect of cars, but what does an AWD system do for fuel efficiency, say for normal surburban / city use.
Erm.. the two aren't necessarily related, but I would imagine the added energy involved in providing power to 4 wheels instead of 2 would hurt fuel mileage, but not by much.

nota
03-09-2006, 10:52 PM
Nota I work:rolleyes: for Telstra and you can get Satelite, its bloody expensive though:eek: . If youe more than 4 kays from the exchange ASDL is useless as the signal degrades can go a bit further with a repeater, but not sure on the final figure. There should be some more towers going up everywhere very soon, I have seen the figures for the 3G roll out and to say its huge is an understatement. We have over 200 upgrade/new sites just for S.A. At least it will keep me in a job for a while. My nephew in the same boat with ADSL he is too far away from the exchange and lives in the Burbs. BLOODY TELSTRA
Thanks for the relevant info mate :cool: the 4 kays bit seals the deal for us I fear as we're on 3800 acres with 3km to the front gate. I guess I'm home alone - might invest in some skyrockets

In recent years since the sellouts Telstra's done a series of job putches so well done for surviving. :) That NT remote community tale of yours raised a wry grin :rolleyes: wouldn't be surprised if the resident got the bond back and all

motorsportnerd
03-10-2006, 02:29 AM

Here's the reasons from the mag itself.
They wanted an Elfin , "but the Streamliner is currently undergoing aero testing".
They acknowledge the VE isn't released and mention it because it will get a start as a "wild card" in the Grand Final Performance Car of Year in the December issue.
As for the Focus and HSV Astra - not sure why they are including them as Aussie cars, but they and they will get wild card entries for the December Grand Final. I'm sure that readers will point out the Euro origins of these two, but I'm guessing they've been included under the Aussie flag since FPV and HSV will "Australianise" both cars.

As a further note, Motor has decided that there will be four issues each year devoted to finding out a World Champion Performance Car. The April issue features the Aussie cars - a shoe in for either a performance Ford or Holden every year.
The June issue will feature the European Performance Car of the Year contest. Maybe time for the Aston Martin Vantage V8 and Porsche Cayman to make it into that contest against the M5, CLS55, etc.
The September issue will feature the Japanese/US Performance Car of the Year. No doubt featuring the Evo 9, Impreza and Liberty STi and updated 350Z representing Japan and the Chrysler 300C SRT8 for the US. Possibily the Mustang since it is available as a low volume private import in Australia. The Evo 9 would seem a very short odds favourite to win the Japan/US contest.
The December issue features the Grand Final. The top 3 cars from each of the three rounds will get automatic entry, along with a provision for wild-card entries launched later in the year. Hence, the VE, Astra and Focus will get a start. And even if the AM Vantage V8 and Cayman aren't launched in time for the June 2006 Euro round, they will be on the market by December.

motorsportnerd
03-10-2006, 02:31 AM
My apologies - the Cayman and AM Vantage V8s are already available - so will be in the June shootout and hence the early favourites to win the Euro Performance Car of the Year.

fpv_gtho
03-10-2006, 02:49 AM
I think the Cayman's the pick there - its been described as a better handling car than the Boxter, which was described as better than a 911. The AMV8 wouldnt surprise me if it loses out on the track

SlickHolden
03-10-2006, 07:07 AM
When I first joined Telstra it was a flat fee no matter what infrastructure work was needed. Now with f--kin user pays it out of reach. Did a job 4 years ago in the NT for a 2 house remote community, we layed 40 kms of fibre,solar panels, digital trans equipetc,etc for 1 telephone, dont know the cost but it wasnt cheap. Once the job was done working etc, the person in the house with the phone burnt the house down and moved to another community, certainly makes you wonder.
So if I'm up for a big pay out burn it?:D
I think I'm close by so i hope it's cheap finger crossed they said they will tell me once they find out themselves.

Revolution
03-12-2006, 09:20 PM
I don't really like the new layout of PCOTY, I used to like to get one big hit of it and then have normal articles to peruse until BFYB in October. Also, this way I have to wait until December to find out the Performance Car Of The Year!

fpv_gtho
03-12-2006, 11:23 PM
well theres still the final of sorts thats ALMOST like the old PCOTY. Maybe with less cars they can focus more attention on picking the right winner

SlickHolden
03-13-2006, 04:40 AM
I would love to get this on DVD one day:)

fpv_gtho
03-13-2006, 08:25 PM
I dont know if they could fit it all on 1 DVD anymore

SlickHolden
03-14-2006, 12:56 AM
Go double and I'll share;)