PDA

View Full Version : My review of the Porsche Cayman S

6speed
03-06-2006, 10:10 AM
My friends dad just got a new Porsche Cayman S, and yesterday I got to take it out for a drive around town, and let me tell you, this car has it's quirks, but still gives you a smile.

Take for example, the suspension. Taken directly from the Porsche Boxster S, it retains a very unique character, but is still quite rough, and contains to much road feedback. The ride is very firm, and when accelerating through corners, it likes to squeal it's skinny little tires. I love the sense of balance though. I honestly feel that on balance alone, this would likely be a much better winter car then a 997 4S. And of course, the engine!:D

It's literally like a little buzzing fan, right behind your ears. I'm pretty sure this car is watercooled though. When you drive the car, it's much different then the Boxster in terms of acceleration. It literally feels like that little engine want to push you forward and out of it's way so it can tear up the road on it's own. It's very unique, and with every upshift, you literally feel like a little jolt of electricity is moving through your body. You definatly don't get that from a Ferrari or Lamborghini.

The quality of the car is good, although it's a very cheap leather on the console. I swear to god, it looks like the kind that in a couple years, it'll be all smooth and stuff. The stereo is nice, although the counter-intuative idea on placing the buttons very close to each other wasn't to great, cause I kept making mistakes when trying to listen to the mad caddies.

Overall, it's a great car, and if you have the money by one. I don't wan to waste any more time typing, so I'll leave you alone. Hope you enjoyed my review.

Piacki_117
03-06-2006, 10:16 AM
Nice! Did you take any pic?

McReis
03-06-2006, 10:19 AM
It's literally like a little buzzing fan, right behind your ears. I'm pretty sure this car is watercooled though.

It sure is water cooled.

You definatly don't get that from a Ferrari or Lamborghini.

You bet?

6speed
03-06-2006, 10:20 AM
Nice! Did you take any pic?

I did, but I haven't uploaded them yet. I'll upload them as soon as I can. It's yellow, with black interior. Looks like a banana..:D

Jack_Bauer
03-06-2006, 10:42 AM
It's very unique, and with every upshift, you literally feel like a little jolt of electricity is moving through your body.

I imagine that could become quite tiresome/painful on a long journey! :p

Your friend's dad must be an incredibly trusting person, letting you drive round in his brand new Porker! Wish I knew people like that. :rolleyes:

6speed
03-06-2006, 10:44 AM
I've been best friends wth my friend since we where 3.

McReis
03-06-2006, 10:46 AM
I imagine that could become quite tiresome/painful on a long journey! :p

In that case, I'd stick with the auto! :D
And still they talk about german quality construction. :D

bmwpower
03-06-2006, 12:29 PM
It literally feels like that little engine want to push you forward and out of it's way so it can tear up the road on it's own. It's very unique, and with every upshift, you literally feel like a little jolt of electricity is moving through your body. You definatly don't get that from a Ferrari or Lamborghini.

Have you driven ferraris or Lambos to be able to make that statement??

jorismo
03-06-2006, 12:37 PM
Have you driven ferraris or Lambos to be able to make that statement??

Ai, he has a point there :o

McReis
03-06-2006, 12:41 PM
Ai, he has a point there :o

I saw that coming but didn't want to make the question myself because now I'm his god and I don't want to lose that status. :D

jorismo
03-06-2006, 12:51 PM
I saw that coming but didn't want to make the question myself because now I'm his god and I don't want to lose that status. :D

You sure you don't have any connection with Jose Mourinho?

McReis
03-06-2006, 12:54 PM
You sure you don't have any connection with Jose Mourinho?

If you can convince him I'm his son, and therefore inheritor, I can reward you nicely! ;)

(Hope he doesn't notice the age thing :rolleyes: )

PerfAdv
03-06-2006, 01:03 PM
It's literally like a little buzzing fan, right behind your ears. I'm pretty sure this car is watercooled though. When you drive the car, it's much different then the Boxster in terms of acceleration. It literally feels like that little engine want to push you forward and out of it's way so it can tear up the road on it's own. It's very unique, and with every upshift, you literally feel like a little jolt of electricity is moving through your body. You definatly don't get that from a Ferrari or Lamborghini.

I like your description of what the engine wants to do. :D

I don't understand what you mean with the feeling of electricity and jolts with every up-shift? Is it surgy and jumps forward or were you grinding gears...

McReis
03-06-2006, 01:06 PM

I don't understand what you mean with the feeling of electricity and jolts with every up-shift? Is it surgy and jumps forward or were you grinding gears...

This is the reason why the "readers section" on magazines is only one or two pages of every issue. :D

6speed
03-06-2006, 01:15 PM

It's very unexpected, we'll say that. It's very hard to drive a car that's jolty from a standstill, so I wasn't used to it.

And for your information, I may be only 17, but I have driven an F355 and taken a ride in a Gallardo. The F355 belongs to a local guy, whom my dad happens to know, and the guy just took me into a parking lot and let me drive around. The Gallardo wasn't all that cool, but I did get a chance to turn the A/C on, man it was hot!

MrKipling
03-07-2006, 09:23 AM
This is the reason why the "readers section" on magazines is only one or two pages of every issue. :D

I don't even bother with one!

I like the engine description too - a genuinely original similie!

Piacki_117
03-07-2006, 11:48 AM
I'm looking forward to the pics you took, mate! :)