PDA

View Full Version : 'Bloody' tourism ads banned

SlickHolden
03-09-2006, 12:55 AM
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,18402797%255E1702,00.html

09mar06

BRITISH broadcasting authorities have banned the use of the latest advertisements promoting Australian tourism, which feature the slogan "Where the bloody hell are you?".

Federal Tourism Minister Fran Bailey said in a statement the ban by the UK's Broadcast Advertising Clearance Centre was comical.
"How anyone can take offence at a beautiful girl in a bikini on a sunny beach inviting them to visit Down Under is a mystery to me," Ms Bailey said.

Tourism Australia managing director Scott Morrison said he understood UK free-to-air TV stations had been refused permission to use the ads.

"We know from our research and all the research we did over there that people are not offended by this, particularly the people we are trying to talk to," Mr Morrison said.

He said he was not upset by the ban and hoped that publicity surrounding it would provide a further boost for the campaign.

"Everything helps," Mr Morrison said.

Mr Morrison said the ban, which applied only to the use of the word "bloody" on commercial television, was "a marketer's dream".

"The PR (public relations) that will be driving the campaign in the UK next week is going to be unprecedented," he said.

"We would have preferred the ad to run the way we first made it, but we can still run it the way it is cut now, which says 'where the hell are you?'," Mr Morrison said.

"It is not as if it is not going to be shown on UK television.

"It will be shown. It will just have that slight adjustment to it.

"It will be run in its original format on the internet, in cinemas and everywhere else."

The campaign will be officially launched in the UK on Monday

HAHAHAHAHA What a bloody joke:p

nota
03-09-2006, 02:01 AM
Bloody hell

I hear plenty worse language on the BBC like the 'f' word etc so what's up with the bloody poms eh? :rolleyes:

fpv_gtho
03-09-2006, 02:36 AM
I guess it should come as no surprise, theres a few other things i know of that get heavily censored for the UK market

IWantAnAudiRS6
03-09-2006, 03:31 AM
Ugh. What a bunch of wankers.

Why do they mollycoddle us?

They won't even show tits in adverts :(

BUT one of my friends went to live out there, apparently they're not as laid back as they presume to be... she moved back here within the month because she got suspended for pulling some guy on a Geography trip.

jaromull
03-09-2006, 03:44 AM
I want to be in Prague, Czechville
You must be crazy !

fpv_gtho
03-09-2006, 03:47 AM
BUT one of my friends went to live out there, apparently they're not as laid back as they presume to be... she moved back here within the month because she got suspended for pulling some guy on a Geography trip.

Yeah...that'd get you suspended alright..

Wheres "there" btw?

IBrake4Rainbows
03-09-2006, 03:55 AM
^Where the Bloody hell are you? :D

I'm Guessing here or there..... :p

Shmeh, if the Britons want to ban the ad let them, it's already been downloaded 100,000 times from the Australian Tourism site. So it's like banning it after the horse has bolted, so to speak.

Bloody Poms :p

Matra et Alpine
03-09-2006, 04:08 AM
Bloody stupid.

Dont' get all het up about ift guys.

Some idiot somewhere will have complained and the way they are over here in "new-Labour-land" they'll have listened :(

The Renault ad with the "shaking ass" got moved to after 9pm after 20 odd people complained !!!

BLODDY nanny BLOODY state BLOODY new-labour BLOODY Blair.

Dont' worry guys we still kno wit would be bloody good to go to Oz :D

The "free ot air" bit tho might give an indication that it may only be at some TIMES it's getting banned ?
Liek yeah it woudln't be ideal during toddler TV "watch with mummy" shows> So this MAY be an exageration.
Nothing woudl stop it coming during most programs from 6pm on ..... there may be a little over-reaction by the advertiser --- after all it gets them MORE attentino than the original ad will :D

nota
03-09-2006, 05:36 AM
I recently heard the magic 'c' word (female related) funnelled out at 5.30pm on free-to-air SBS TV

In my State of NSW its apparently legal to tell a cop to f-off right to his face, due to a Magistrate ruling that 'f' is now common vernacular, not likely to reasonably offend. I bet you'd still get bashed though :p

Matra et Alpine
03-09-2006, 05:45 AM
I recently heard the magic 'c' word (female related)
so that will be Credit card :D

SlickHolden
03-09-2006, 06:39 AM
No See You Next Tuesday:p

Where is that bloody Ron moss bloody oth:D

Yeah i wouldn't want a 1 year old running around the house yelling wheres my bloody bottle wheres me bloody dinner wheres me bloody toys:p

jorismo
03-09-2006, 06:53 AM
I just came back from some shopping saw this an a shop window: "What the hell are you looking at?"... Thought it was pretty original to think of it...

SlickHolden
03-09-2006, 07:05 AM
Sounds like Rove mccmanis:p What the!:D

nota
03-09-2006, 07:13 AM
so that will be Credit card :D
:D Yep everything female-related that begins with 'c' is going to cost us guys .. but its gotta be better than a pain in the 'a' ;)

Forgot to mention but SBS is the multicuntural 'ethnic' TV station so for viewer convenience the 'c' word was also presented in captions for your eyes, in case you thought you misheard it with your ears :cool:

SlickHolden
03-09-2006, 07:32 AM
:D Yep everything female-related that begins with 'c' is going to cost us guys .. but its gotta be better than a pain in the 'a' ;)

Forgot to mention but SBS is the multicuntural 'ethnic' TV station so for viewer convenience the 'c' word was also presented in captions for your eyes, in case you thought you misheard it with your ears :cool:
My friends son told me he sore a gay flick and called his mum to come and see and she said she couldn't believe her eyes, They were dancing with bananas in the tunnel and mud cake:eek: This was SBS

Peter PaP
03-09-2006, 08:56 AM
My friends son told me he sore a gay flick and called his mum to come and see and she said she couldn't believe her eyes, They were dancing with bananas in the tunnel and mud cake:eek: This was SBS

What the..

I dont think the ad is that good anyway they could have made better, but it has grabbed peoples attention.

kingofthering
03-09-2006, 09:21 AM
its funny how they don't care about saying the f word on tv but its wrong to say bloody. If this happened in america people would be suing like there was no tommorow for millions of dollars.

SlickHolden
03-09-2006, 10:03 AM
What the..

I dont think the ad is that good anyway they could have made better, but it has grabbed peoples attention.
I only seen to things Chic Bikini:p

Matra et Alpine
03-09-2006, 05:39 PM
its funny how they don't care about saying the f word on tv but its wrong to say bloody.
No. IF as suggested this was really a ban from daytime freeview channels then "f" is kept till after 9pm.

Blue Supra
03-09-2006, 05:56 PM
America let us get away with it.

Apparently its whats expected from Australia. :confused: profane language is expected from australia :confused: ???

im farkin going over there now to farkin swear my farkin arse off and not offend as many farkin people as i can coz im farkin aussie and can get away with it farkin!

Matra et Alpine
03-09-2006, 06:21 PM
America let us get away with it.
What ? the ad in question ?
Is it only on cable channels -- ie subscription ? It's fair game for anything in the UK ( well not QUITE as far as Sweden :D ) on cable and satellite.

fpv_gtho
03-09-2006, 08:25 PM
im farkin going over there now to farkin swear my farkin arse off and not offend as many farkin people as i can coz im farkin aussie and can get away with it farkin!

fark that...

Blue Supra
03-12-2006, 05:27 PM
no im pretty sure it was on free to air.

farkin.

Matra et Alpine
03-12-2006, 05:37 PM
no im pretty sure it was on free to air.

Sorry Blue, I meant was it on cable where you said America let you away with it.

Blue Supra
03-12-2006, 08:44 PM
:confused:

i farkin meant free to air, as in farkin everyone can watch it for farkin free. its prolly on farkin cable as well. :p

Mr. Jinx
03-13-2006, 03:54 AM
I bloody well hope you arent being metaphorical.

also, fark :p

IBrake4Rainbows
03-13-2006, 04:19 AM
They Show Queer as Folk at 9:30 at night!

But weigh that against french 'Art' films and it's all good.

SBS, the artsy channel to have when you really want some......

SlickHolden
03-13-2006, 04:53 AM
Hey on ACA they had a old old ad with Paul Hogan, And he ask some dude where are we or what is this place and he said it's bloody something, So the bloody word has been used before. Anyway it was cool Hogan said i only ask twit!:p. So they are off to pom land again with fresh evidence they want it back on the TV.

I bloody well hope you arent being metaphorical.

also, fark :p
You might laugh but ???? What does that mean:p I have lost my Dictionary:D

Pando
03-13-2006, 06:40 PM
I just heard about this on the news... I really liked the ad and to be honest if it wouldn't have been "banned" I probably wouldn't have seen it. So I guess it was a success afterall. The advertising business is tricky, breaking the "rules" is many times more beneficial than following them.

Matra et Alpine
03-13-2006, 06:54 PM
See Renault in the UK are back with the ass-shake for the new Megane, but taking the piss out of themselves :D Wonder how many complaints they get this time :(

SlickHolden
03-14-2006, 12:55 AM
Love that arse shake:p

Mr. Jinx
03-14-2006, 03:21 AM
Hey on ACA they had a old old ad with Paul Hogan, And he ask some dude where are we or what is this place and he said it's bloody something, So the bloody word has been used before. Anyway it was cool Hogan said i only ask twit!:p. So they are off to pom land again with fresh evidence they want it back on the TV.

You might laugh but ???? What does that mean:p I have lost my Dictionary:D

A figure of speech in which a word or phrase literally denoting one kind of object or idea is used in place of another to suggest a likeness between them. Example: He was drowning in money.
godbless define: searches in google! :p

SlickHolden
03-14-2006, 04:00 AM
Bloody Aussie slang:p

fpv_gtho
03-14-2006, 04:14 AM
its not slang its officially part of the English language :p

SlickHolden
03-14-2006, 09:12 AM
its not slang its officially part of the English language :p
No no the drilling and pie hopping:p On SBS with the gay men:D

Mr. Jinx
03-14-2006, 04:48 PM
Bloody Aussie slang:p
haha, often graphical!

Matra et Alpine
03-22-2006, 08:25 AM
Either the worls has it in for the Aussies ..... or (as I suspect) the ad agency is working double hard to get "banned" to generate more publicity than the ads ever would have themselves ......

Have a beer on Australia? No thanks, says Canada
http://newsbox.msn.co.uk/mediaexportlive/6/2006-03-22T060209Z_01_NOOTR_RTRIDSP_1_OUKTP-UK-LEISURE-AUSTRALIA-ADS.jpg (javascript:void(0);)

Just days after the Broadcasting Advertising Clearance Centre (http://g.msn.co.uk/UK7/135317.4?http://search.msn.co.uk/results.aspx?FORM=SRHBDY&q=Broadcasting Advertising Clearance Centre&&HL=keywordInt) lifted its ban on the ad, which centres on the slightly risque phrase "bloody hell", Australian Tourism Minister Fran Bailey said Canadian regulators had now lost their sense of humour.
"Buying a mate a beer is about as Australian as you can get. But the Canadian regulator has banned the shot because implied unbranded alcohol consumption (a part-empty beer glass) is unacceptable," Bailey said in a statement.
While Canada doesn't appear to have a problem with the word "bloody", it has also prevented the ad from being broadcast during two family programmes because of the word "hell".
The ads begin with characters saying: "We've poured you a beer and we've had the camels shampooed, we've saved you a spot on the beach ... and we've got the sharks out of the pool".

The furore over the British TV ban provided an unexpected windfall of free publicity for Tourism Australia (http://g.msn.co.uk/UK7/135317.4?http://search.msn.co.uk/results.aspx?FORM=SRHBDY&q=Tourism Australia&&HL=keywordInt), which said it had created "an on-line traffic jam" around the A$180 million (74 million pound) campaign.
Bailey hopes the "astonishing" Canadian decision to ban part of the ad would earn Australia more free publicity.
"What this decision shows is that Canada lags behind Americans, Brits and even Germans in the sense of humour stakes," Bailey said.
The campaign is already running in the United States and New Zealand (http://g.msn.co.uk/UK7/135317.4?http://search.msn.co.uk/results.aspx?FORM=SRHBDY&q=New Zealand&&HL=keywordInt) as well as Britain and will also target China, Japan, India and Germany. The full advertisement can be seen at www.wherethebloodyhellareyou.com.

SlickHolden
03-22-2006, 01:47 PM
The world is out to get us:p
Is it the Com Games???

Mr. Jinx
03-22-2006, 04:55 PM
Haha, bloody candians! Don't know how to have a farkin laugh :p

fpv_gtho
03-22-2006, 08:25 PM
The campaign is already running in the United States and New Zealand (http://g.msn.co.uk/UK7/135317.4?http://search.msn.co.uk/results.aspx?FORM=SRHBDY&q=New Zealand&&HL=keywordInt) as well as Britain and will also target China, Japan, India and Germany. The full advertisement can be seen at www.wherethebloodyhellareyou.com.

Wonder what most NZer's think when they see the ad :p

Didnt think we needed a $180m ad campaign to get more across the Tasman

IBrake4Rainbows
03-22-2006, 08:42 PM
You'd be surprised.

Most of the time it's the other way around - NZ doesn't send tourists to Aus, they send residents :p

fpv_gtho
03-22-2006, 08:45 PM
Well im sure everyone knows about all the welfare related jokes to do with NZ immigration

IBrake4Rainbows
03-22-2006, 08:51 PM
I remember seeing a cartoon which went as follows;

Two Bums are sitting on a Gold Coast beach, one says to the other, after reading an article in the paper; 'Howards Getting Clark (NZ PM) to pay our dole, mate'

The Other Bum, Shocked, screams 'NOT IN f%^%ING KIWI DOLLARS!'. :p

Mr. Jinx
03-23-2006, 06:08 AM
Hey, the NZders bag us too. They says that if all the dumb poeple of NZ left to Australia, both nation's average IQ would increase.

SlickHolden
03-23-2006, 01:23 PM
I remember seeing a cartoon which went as follows;

Two Bums are sitting on a Gold Coast beach, one says to the other, after reading an article in the paper; 'Howards Getting Clark (NZ PM) to pay our dole, mate'

The Other Bum, Shocked, screams 'NOT IN f%^%ING KIWI DOLLARS!'. :p
LOL that's a good one:D