PDA

View Full Version : Virtual Comparison: CBR vs NSX

Roy Visser
03-13-2006, 09:59 AM
Being the proud owner of Gran Turismo 4 and Tourist Trophy, i couldnt let this opportunity pass. Is a motorbike faster on a circuit then a sportscar?

I thought it would be cool to use two top end Honda products, the latest model Honda NSX Type R and the one of the best looking motorcycles you can buy at the moment, the Honda CBR600RR. Both fitted with street tires, and with all "aids" turned off. (In other words, no TCS etc in GT4, and Manual Leaning and no TCS in TT)

I drove both vehicles quite intensivly, and am very satisfied with both flying laps, wouldnt have guessed the outcome though..

Circuit: Tsukuba, with added chicane.

Download the Comparison video here, 50mb but worth it! (http://www.ttk-clan.net/adam/roy/NSX%20VS%20CBR.wmv)

any input or requests, welcome :)

Niko_Fx
03-13-2006, 10:15 AM
Wow, that was as even as it could get :)

Thanks for sharing.

Roy Visser
03-13-2006, 10:25 AM
I had to get everything out of that NSX :)

Split times:

CBR
T1: 14.468
T2: 35.838
Lap: 1:04.616

NSX
T1: 14.657
T2: 35.489
Lap: 1:04.579

its the quick chicane where the nsx wins the most, you cant throw the bike around fast enough without falling of it :)

adamfraser
03-13-2006, 10:26 AM
Wow. So unbeliveably close. Nice wheelie too! ;)

Looking forward to more shootouts in the future. :D

derekthetree
03-13-2006, 10:46 AM
when EVO ran a bike vs car test they did a variety of tests and the bikes won. however the company that provided the bike said that they could beat any car round the nurburgring.

any chance of that test :) (i don't know if toursit trophy has it ?)

Roy Visser
03-13-2006, 10:54 AM
when EVO ran a bike vs car test they did a variety of tests and the bikes won. however the company that provided the bike said that they could beat any car round the nurburgring.

any chance of that test :) (i don't know if toursit trophy has it ?)

which bike was it? :)

PerfAdv
03-13-2006, 10:56 AM
Great comparison!! You truly wrung the most out of each machine, nice driving/riding. :D

I don't remember the track but I remember watching a shootout between superbikes and an F1 car and the bikes won. The outcome is very track dependent.

RacingManiac
03-13-2006, 11:31 AM

Crescent Suzuki GSXR-1000.....the car and bike choices were somewhat mixed and although they did the test on Silverstone, it was on one of the configuration where there are mostly slower corners and long straights....which masks bike's deficit on less overall grip and intensify the advantage of straightline accel....It beats a Radical SR3 Clubsport by less than a second....

I highly doubt the bike can do a 6 min 50s around Nurburgring like the SR3 Turbo....

MotoGP bike is anywhere from 20-40 sec a lap slower than a F1 car.....around Laguna Seca I think their lap time is comparable to that of a ALMS GT2 class car...

RacingManiac
03-13-2006, 11:52 AM
2005 Laguna Seca MotoGP pole: 1:22.6
2005 ALMS Laguna Seca
GT1 Pole: 1:20.3
GT2 Pole: 1:25.4

So there...

kingofthering
03-13-2006, 12:09 PM
can you bang up your bike in tourist trophy?

ZeTurbo
03-13-2006, 12:09 PM
i seem to be the only one who is not familiar with this Tourist trophy game...
never heard of it....:confused:

Great video though...

man 430gt
03-13-2006, 12:11 PM
Wasn't there a gallardo vs. a Ducatti one aswell?

kingofthering
03-13-2006, 12:13 PM
i seem to be the only one who is not familiar with this Tourist trophy game...
never heard of it....:confused:

Great video though...
gran turismo 4 on motorcycles

derekthetree
03-13-2006, 12:25 PM

as racing maniac said it was a modified gsxr 1000 with 180hp at the rear wheel :eek:
they also had a tyre warmers.

they said in the article that the choice of silverstone was unfair

they didi some accleration tests and the bikes hit their limiters after about 25 sec (if not less) iirc

PS oh yeah and a great video. i like the cut in the music :)

Roy Visser
03-13-2006, 12:54 PM
PS oh yeah and a great video. i like the cut in the music :)

hehe spanks dude

i'll do more when bored :)

derekthetree
03-13-2006, 01:57 PM
hehe spanks dude

i'll do more when bored :)

so, right now :D

Matra et Alpine
03-13-2006, 05:50 PM
The track makes a huge difference.
Basically brakign on bikes is crap compared to cars.
So if you pick a track needing hard braking into corners teh cars will pick up a second or two on every corner.
Doubly worse, make it multiple corners of varying radius and the bike gets trounced on even harder. You can't slow a bike down much when IN a corner. You can however use the throttle to steer for the exit a little easier.

Generally bike-biased mags will chose a circtui to suit a bike and car-biased pick a different one :D

Of course IF you bring price into it then it's a not contest.
£8000 gets you a gixxer, R1 or ZX-10. £6000 gets you a 600 :)
You wont' get a car to come near it for the price !!!!!

I've not found a bike sim that gets anywhere near simulating the bike under braking. They can't afford to hop as there's no feedback that works for the rider to interact in the sim fast enough :( So generally they are all a little arcade-like and timings of no real value.