PDA

View Full Version : Jaguar Xjs V12 at Bathurst!!! NICE!!!!

LotusLocost
03-14-2006, 01:33 PM
Ahhh.....:D
cooool...:eek:
Can`t the snow go away soon:(

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6618509877425244029&q=bathurst

derekthetree
03-14-2006, 02:14 PM
wow. that last corner must be hard to slow down for without a chicane in the straight!

love the commentary :)

Merrill
03-14-2006, 06:07 PM
I've sat in that car/ very solid!

motorsportnerd
03-14-2006, 06:37 PM
As I said in my piece on the XJS racer in the "Touring Car" thread, my memory of the car is from this race, and this lap in the pole position shoot out in particular. The way the car got out onto the ripple strip across McPhillamy Park while Walkinshaw kept it under control remained in my memory for over 20 years.
Amazing to think that this car competed over 20 years ago now.

Esperante
03-14-2006, 06:38 PM
There is no way I could possibly imagine selling that thing now.

motorsportnerd
03-14-2006, 06:42 PM
wow. that last corner must be hard to slow down for without a chicane in the straight!

love the commentary :)

This was before the straight was modified. There used to be three "humps" in the straight, where the cars went virtually airborne. In 1986, the year after the Jaguars raced at Bathurst, Mike Burgmann's Commodore took off at high speed (over 270 km/h) on the last "hump" on the straight and slamed into an earth bank - killing the driver. As a result "Caltex Chase", a very fast three corner bend was installed in the middle of the straight.
There are now two humps in the straight before Caltex Chase. And the right hander off the straight into the Chase is one of the fastest, if not the fastest corner of any track in the world. The V8s take it flat at 298km/h. Hate to think what speed a F1 or LMP Sports Prototype would take the corner.

Matra et Alpine
03-14-2006, 06:42 PM
Great vid.
nice to se the TWR Jag at full tilt up on two wheels and 4 wheel drifting and STAYING on the pedal :D

motorsportnerd
03-14-2006, 06:50 PM
Today's V8s just don't get that much attitude, even on a qualifying lap. Pity.

ScionDriver
03-14-2006, 09:36 PM
That is some amazing driving in an amazing car.

2ndclasscitizen
03-14-2006, 10:20 PM
the noise that made was incredible

derekthetree
03-15-2006, 02:40 AM
This was before the straight was modified. There used to be three "humps" in the straight, where the cars went virtually airborne. In 1986, the year after the Jaguars raced at Bathurst, Mike Burgmann's Commodore took off at high speed (over 270 km/h) on the last "hump" on the straight and slamed into an earth bank - killing the driver. As a result "Caltex Chase", a very fast three corner bend was installed in the middle of the straight.
There are now two humps in the straight before Caltex Chase. And the right hander off the straight into the Chase is one of the fastest, if not the fastest corner of any track in the world. The V8s take it flat at 298km/h. Hate to think what speed a F1 or LMP Sports Prototype would take the corner.

thanks for the history. i thought too much speed before a 90 degree corner might be the issue.

you're right the right hander is very fast (well on toca anyway :))

Mustang
03-15-2006, 04:33 AM
ive just watched the 1989 tooheys 1000 racy :D the sierra RS500 that got pole then did it in 2:15.8

awesome cars those

LotusLocost
03-15-2006, 08:07 AM
ive just watched the 1989 tooheys 1000 racy :D the sierra RS500 that got pole then did it in 2:15.8

awesome cars those

Give us the vid/link then:eek:
Don`t just come in here and brag about it!!:D
You sob;)

Mustang
03-15-2006, 09:05 AM
Give us the vid/link then:eek:
Don`t just come in here and brag about it!!:D
You sob;)

ive got the races from 1987-1993 all on dvd :D

nota
03-15-2006, 09:50 AM
thanks for the history. i thought too much speed before a 90 degree corner might be the issue.
Conrod is a lot steeper than it looks on TV, slingshots off the mountain, its the longest straight of any racetrack in Oz. Long before the Chase nackered it, Conrod got its name not because cars reach peak revs in top gear but for how long they held those revs

Virtually airborne is right, over the 3rd hump the cars used to get very light and lift right up off the springs. If you're able to watch the old in-car Bathurst videos (before they shaved the humps and removed the 3rd) on every lap you definately hear the back wheels lighting up into wheelspin over the 3rd hump, drivers had to lift off - to reduce Lift Off! If anyone has video of the 1973 race, check out Alan Moffat's XA Falcon GT 'Superbird' down Conrod as he powers by his team-mate to take the lead on the 1st lap. The front goes up off the deck at 150mph, gets air under the car .. and it stays up for a loong time. Very freaky to watch!

I saw that Burgmann crash from the top of Mt Panorama, and what was left of the car afterwards. It was awful, a huge huge impact. The rollcage held up amazingly well and the front of the car was still clearly recognisable as a Commodore. But the entire front-end from the windscreen base forward extended only 12 inches, if that, with the V8 in the front seat & gearbox in the back, as was driver (seatbelt broke). If cars were close alongside down Conrod and went over the 3rd hump together, they would get sucked into each other and bang wheels. Burgmann did that with Willmington's Jaguar XJS (group C) and speared off into the earth bank of the old Dunlop Bridge

IIRC ex-racer now Supercar team-owner Gary Scott's father Glynn was killed at the same spot on Conrod in an 180mph open wheeler crash, 1968?

ive got the races from 1987-1993 all on dvd :D
I've got 1960-74, gotta love the showroom-stocker action like this Dipper pic :D

Zondaboy1
03-15-2006, 05:36 PM
nice and nice sound system too

2ndclasscitizen
03-15-2006, 08:44 PM
its called Conrod straight for a reason, they were going so fast that some cars would just blow their rods. Another common happening was rear drums exploding on the braking run

fpv_gtho
03-15-2006, 08:53 PM
Today's V8s just don't get that much attitude, even on a qualifying lap. Pity.

Hopefully the video's recording when they let the Champ Car go around