PDA

View Full Version : Competition Revival - we need you!

Blitz_
03-16-2006, 04:58 AM
Hello everyone, it's come to my attention thatthe competition thread has gone downhill and fast..

I know, i know, alot of you are at work, have jobs and what not - its all a busy schedule that is packed with things to do. Unfortunately, this leaves alot of us with little chopping time.

However! I wont sit here and watch the competition fade away, it was once brimming with entrants and fantastic chops. Furthermore it has been the starting place for several choppers, including myself.

There are a few proposal's i would like to bring forth.

Re-introduction of the competion again - obviously :)

Set extensions on competitions - 1 nite, to 1 week, or 2 week chop competitions.

Themed competitions - such as Rice me week, or something along those lines, you get the drift.

Incentives - im still muddy on this one, but I would love to hear some idea's.

Well, anyway - its going to be hard to bring it back to it's fullest participation again, but im confident. Cmon y'all we've slacked off, but chopping is a great pastime hobby and the competition add's that extra flair. Let's get back into it and get the ball rolling.

To illusionist, do you still want to take care of all the thread's and what not? I'd be happy to take over if you're busy, im on UCP everynite.

Just my two cents, i've recently got inspiration to start chopping, and i hope alot of you out there two, you know who im talking bout, illu, whiteballz and all of you :D :D :D

Mr. Jinx
03-16-2006, 05:55 AM
i like the theme idea!

illusionest
03-16-2006, 09:36 AM
ive been using the theme idea @ psg,
but some people dont like it and prefer chopping 1 car so its easier to vote...

...:confused:...

and yes i can still take care of the chops,
its just that everybody is too busy to join them :p

Smithy
03-16-2006, 05:07 PM
ya, i've been really busy :| my first time on UCP for about 2 weeks...

Zondaboy1
03-16-2006, 06:56 PM
howbout something like my failed idea... take a car such as a stock M3. tell the choppers to make it an M3 GTR and let them find/make their own parts exept bigger scale than what i had

Blitz_
03-16-2006, 09:04 PM
yer, but being told what to do with a chop, is certainly constricting. Theme chops act in the same way, but less restrictive.

Rockefella
03-16-2006, 09:08 PM
I refuse.

illusionest
03-16-2006, 09:08 PM
how about (just like psg monthly :p)
chop whatever u want!

:p

Rockefella
03-16-2006, 09:33 PM
Here's what you do:

You make the competition the same as it was in the good old days.

- Strict deadlines, every Sunday night or whatever.

- A nice official thread format. For example, UCP Chop Comp: Week 6 and UCP Chop Comp: Week 6 [Voting]. Make it look professional.

- Make the thread look good, look at how the Weekly Automotive and General Photo Comps look, along with my GT4 Photo Comp (weeks like 1-15 for example) are presented. They look very professional and elaborate. It's not hard to do either, it's just a c+p + edit job.

EDIT: And definately have standings for the comp. Keep track of wins.

- Allow the winner to choose the picture to chop next week, who cares if he's won 15 times in a row.

- Make sure voting is kept strict, w/ public voting checked on (to view cheaters), and no making duplicate accounts for swaying the vote count.

- Do NOT extend deadlines for people. If the time-limit's up, it's up... end of story. Then again, you can ask us mods to add an extra person to the comp if their chop was like 5 min. late or something, that's no problem. But an extra day or two is stupid.

- Like I said with the deadlines, have someone be in charge of running the comp, by starting it every Tuesday or whatever, then having the comp close on Sunday morning (Eastern U.S. time: that's my time..) with voting closing the next day or Tuesday. The person running it MUST be responsible for keeping the comp on track.

- Pick good pictures to chop and encourage others to join in, regardless if it's their 1st chop or their 100th chop. The more, the better.

- Keep hatred/negativity out of the threads. You want the competition to be positive and fun, not a bore.

- Definitely enforce the 800x600 rule, for inline images. It makes voting SO much easier, and people really don't like opening attachments. When you can just scroll and see the entries, it's efficient, and easy to look at.

painterr
03-16-2006, 11:11 PM
I have been thinking about one! Here is my ideas if it would help!

First: There needs to be some good rules in chopping ( like for example: the person that enters a chop must have used at least 50% of the orginal car; he must list all the changes he has made to the car. ect....)

Secondly: there needs to be a defent time that it begins and ends!!!! A defent time limit for voting!

Thirdly: All chops must be sent to the one that is running the comps, then he will post the chops with out the persons names with the chop but just a number. There is no need for anyone to say any thing about his chop. Once he sends his chop that is it, no updates!!! There will be open voting!

Forthly: Here is where it gets interesting: All chops have to be 1024 x 764 Now the thread that is running the comp all the pic will be posted as usual by the host. but for the voting there needs to be a link to another site where they can be posted in there full size so anyone that is going to vote can see them in there full size. and the voting can be made on that site. But the results will be posted in the thread at untimatecarpage!

Fifthly: the winner gets to pic the next car, also his car would be posted on the other site for one month so people that come to it can see it!

That is just and over veiw of what I was thinking about. There would have to be more details spelled out so there is no confusion.

Now as far as the other site there are servers out ther that offer so many megs free. Like I had one I used just to upload pics I wanted to post on the internet. It was 30megs free.
I just dont have the time to set it up by myself. If there is someone else that can do it that would be great.

That is just a rough out line and my thoughts!!

Blitz_
03-17-2006, 08:43 PM
Nice idea's rockefella, painterr, they all show the potential for the competitions - we need to lay down a new foundation and get it going again. I will make a poll tomorow to see who would be willing to at least attempt a chop for a competition every now and then.

And yes, i do stress the point that 1024 x 764 size pictures should be allowed to be posted for voting. 800 x 600 is a small size for chops, and really doesn't show the level of detail some people put into them.

Rockefella
03-20-2006, 05:19 PM
Nice idea's rockefella, painterr, they all show the potential for the competitions - we need to lay down a new foundation and get it going again. I will make a poll tomorow to see who would be willing to at least attempt a chop for a competition every now and then.

And yes, i do stress the point that 1024 x 764 size pictures should be allowed to be posted for voting. 800 x 600 is a small size for chops, and really doesn't show the level of detail some people put into them.
Good, just go with what me and Painterr said, and you'll definately boost the current state of the comp. I forgot to mention in my list, the advantages Painterr brought up in anonymous voting and that once a chop is posted, that's final.

However, I don't know about the pics being hosted somewhere else painterr, our new UCP forum format allows for images to be 1024x768 pixels inline, IIRC.

I can do the comp if you guys want, but I can't guarantee the schedule yet, I work a lot.

Rockefella
03-20-2006, 05:21 PM
This is an inline image test. 1024x768.

http://www.3ds.com/fileadmin/corporate/goodies/skins_wallpapers/1024_grey.jpe

Rockefella
03-20-2006, 05:23 PM
Ok, the new inline image size seems to be 1000 pixels in width, so that comes to about 750 pixels in height if I did the math in my head right.

New size restriction for chops should be 1000 x 750, if you ask me.

Rockefella
03-20-2006, 05:23 PM
Second Test. 1000x750.

http://www.minidisc.org/images/sony_mzn10_bottom.jpg

Rockefella
03-20-2006, 05:25 PM
Damnit, still off. Third test, 950 pixels in width.

http://www.volker-goebel.de/GrafikenMMR_Final_2/MMR_Final_Harbourview_950px.jpg

Perfect.

950 pixels = new width restriction.

illusionest
03-20-2006, 05:36 PM
nice
alright, so should i start the new comp next sunday or now? (every monday)

85RX7
03-20-2006, 08:03 PM
I REALLY like cour idea painterr. Having the chops numbered will mate it alot better. That way people do not vote for the same person again and again as you cannot be sure who's who.

Rockefella
03-20-2006, 08:06 PM
The only problem with the number system is that people may forget to PM their chop to Painterr or the comp runner, by posting their chop right in this thread w/ their name on it. But, if we can get your idea to work, it'd be excellent.

whiteballz
03-21-2006, 12:50 AM
i am up for it when i get the time, lately i HAVE been gettin an urge..

But i dont think i will participate if the number system is used, it is such an effort - i dont think that the number system is required. its alot of effort straight up, just using the public polls and then doing an IP test if the voters seem to be weird is alot simpler..

Dont take it as that i cheat - because i dont, go check all the threads, i barely win any that i enter. if i am going to take time out of my schedule to chop, its going to be the smallest amount of time possible.