PDA

View Full Version : Original tracks

fpv_gtho
03-10-2004, 04:57 AM
Has anyone actually come up with an original design of a track for themselves? I've been working on one the last couple of days and just recently completed it on my computer and already wouter seems to like it. It all started when a couple of days ago i was just bored at school so i pulled out a pen and bit of paper and voila, came up with what i thought was an interesting track. unfortunately because i done it on MS Paint, its Bitmap so i can't post it but if anyones willing to give me their email address i'll send it to them. So has anyone else got any original tracks they want to share?

Matra et Alpine
03-10-2004, 05:22 AM
Has anyone actually come up with an original design of a track for themselves?
Many times - I had a Scalextric set and used to buy cheaply from friends as their interest waned. So by the age of 12, I had enough track to fill 3 rooms !!
I used to enjoy making designs on paper and then building them. The start of my design engineering career :)
Sadly, don't have any documentation of them as the papyrus has disintegrated !!

fpv_gtho
03-10-2004, 05:30 AM
well ive got an AFX set with a couple of cars floating around and me and my brother have come up with some rpetty decent tracks and ive been on the controller and my brothers had the stopwatch and we've been trying to see what the best time we can get is. it sounds simple but its funny how easily the cars can get flown off sometimes

EvilPaladin
03-10-2004, 05:32 AM
Is the red line the pit lane ?

Matra et Alpine -> Congratulations for your new Porsche !(look at your number of posts)

fpv_gtho
03-10-2004, 05:35 AM
yeah, Blacks the Track, Red's the pit lane and that browny colour is the back entrance from the pits back onto the track. the lighter grey is the whole Pit paddock

Matra et Alpine
03-10-2004, 06:26 AM
yeah, Blacks the Track, Red's the pit lane and that browny colour is the back entrance from the pits back onto the track. the lighter grey is the whole Pit paddock
Where's my heli-pad ?

I think you've too many kinks.
As drivers will take a racing line, some of those look as if they'll just be cut straight unless you put some serious kerbs. But I think these are not wanted by F1 now :(

henk4
03-10-2004, 06:49 AM
Just wondering whether there are many differences in altitude in your design. Tracks gain enormously from slopes. In other words can you reproduce it in 3 dimensions?

fpv_gtho
03-10-2004, 10:24 PM
Where's my heli-pad ?

well theres still plenty of open space left in the centre behind the Pit Paddock so im revising it tonight so i'll try and fit a helipad in there somewhere

i was hoping that i could get some nice hills or undulations through about turn 3 to 8 so that you would just sortof like flow through it at a decent sort of speed, but the track came to life when me and a couple of friends at school just started talking about the idea of buying like 100 acres or something and putting up a dirt track to have fun on. the area that i'd be hoping to put the track though is Oberon, which is like within 10km of Bathurst/Mt Panorama so theres some nice flowing hills there and the lands also pretty cheap which admittedly was the biggest attraction.

well as i said it just started from a sketch i drew at school the other day so it hasnt gone as far as 3D drawings, plus i dont think my computer has any programs that would allow it

crisis
03-10-2004, 11:14 PM
Sadly, don't have any documentation of them as the papyrus has disintegrated !!
Should have used stone tablets old fella.

Matra et Alpine
03-11-2004, 02:48 AM
Should have used stone tablets old fella.
Tried that with the pace notes.
It was helluva hard to turn pages and the driver complained about the weight :)