PDA

View Full Version : Playstation 3? PS2? GT4?

jwoolz48
03-27-2006, 08:54 AM
My wife wants to get me a Playstation for my birthday in a few weeks. (I know... she is wonderful!! :D ) The PS2's have been going on ridiculous sales around here. I really only want it for the racing games... mostly GT4.

Does anyone know when the PS3 will be out? Is it going to be worth waiting and probably double the money for the PS3? Are there any plans for a Grand Turismo 5 for the PS3? If it is going to come out in the next few months… then I might tell her to wait. Any info would be great! Thanks!!

Matra et Alpine
03-27-2006, 08:58 AM
If you really only want racing games and want realism then get her to get you upgrades for the PC you're sitting at ( if it needs any ) and a decent wheel/pedal combo.

The best sims are on the PC.
Commiserations if you're a Mac user :(

Besides the PS3 has been delayed. So maybe for NEXT birthday :D

kingofthering
03-27-2006, 08:59 AM
it will come out in 2007-2008ish if you want GT5

adamfraser
03-27-2006, 09:34 AM
Defintely what Matra said. I probably wont buy another Playstation2 game, PC simracing is much better. Racing online with friends etc is a great addon.

I upgraded my PC for slightly under £400, which 1/4 of it went to a new HardDrive, but it wasnt really needed. £110 on Graphics, £80 on MOMO wheel, £40 on Power Unit, and some games. Even at that, i can run GTR (check the threads, great game!) at full settings, and there is no problemm at all.

Id go pc. I wouldnt buy a PS3 until Gran Turismo 5 came out with a decent wheel combination.

dimlight
03-27-2006, 09:47 AM
Gran Turismo 5 .. WILL come out for the PS3 no word on when yet. But the Ps3 is due for November of this year. So yes, I´d wait.:D

:Exige:
03-27-2006, 10:28 AM
I doubt the PS3 will come out in November. It has been delayed many times since they said November. I think the most accurate we can be is 2007 :)

sleekeywoowoo
03-27-2006, 12:54 PM
Gran Turismo 5 .. WILL come out for the PS3 no word on when yet. But the Ps3 is due for November of this year. So yes, I´d wait.:D
I'll wait it too, and than wait some more until I can afford one.

Three colours, WHITE SILVER BLACK. White is so nice on it.
http://www.gamersreports.com/hosted/images/ps3-small-1.jpg

6'bore
03-27-2006, 01:21 PM
Can't wait for the PS3 man...it's guna kick the 360 into oblivion.

Rockefella
03-27-2006, 01:23 PM
Can't wait for the PS3 man...it's guna kick the 360 into oblivion.
Maybe, but Sony is infamous for making these perpetual claims. It's happened with PS2, and Playstation IIRC. (Def. w/ the ps2 though)

6'bore
03-27-2006, 01:27 PM
Maybe, but Sony is infamous for making these perpetual claims. It's happened with PS2, and Playstation IIRC. (Def. w/ the ps2 though)

True...but It's illegal to just print totally incorrect statistics...stats which Sony have released and kicked the 360's ass.

Giankrlo99
03-27-2006, 03:22 PM
check this out!
a preview of GT5 on PS3
http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/driving/granturismo5/index.html

IL Duce
03-27-2006, 03:32 PM
nice preview :)

any chance.... gran turismo 5 is also coming out on other platforms this time?
gt5 on pc would be sooo cool ;)

03-27-2006, 04:00 PM
nice preview :)

any chance.... gran turismo 5 is also coming out on other platforms this time?
gt5 on pc would be sooo cool ;)yes, but sony owns the gt series, its exclusive im afraid, ah well, lfs for me!

Matra et Alpine
03-27-2006, 04:09 PM
True...but It's illegal to just print totally incorrect statistics...stats which Sony have released and kicked the 360's ass.
They are "cheating" wiht hte stats and every techie knows it :D
They are citing clock speeds and theoritcal performance assumgin all teh cells communicate at max rate and process at max rate.
Computing found out 15 years ago that general propblems dont' scal to fit cell processors well.
The PS3 will be as over-hyped as the PS2 was. It's sony :) 3 years after launch game developers will have gotten their head around how to write the software to take advantage of it !!

baddabang
03-27-2006, 04:17 PM
I wonder if I will finally be able to run into a wall at 150mph and damage the car?

magracer
03-27-2006, 04:38 PM
There is no definite date on PS3 or GT5, and judging from recent history those initial dates willl be delayed -a few times ;) -.

If I were you I'd buy a PS2 and GT4. If you do please free to join us on our semi-weekly challenge found elsewhere in this sub-forum. :D

Also, be sure to get a good force feedback steering wheel. I think Logitech Momo and Driving Force Pro are the prefered around here, but if you really have money to burn there are plenty other choices.

NSXType-R
03-27-2006, 05:22 PM
If I was rich I'd wait for the PS3 but the PS2 is a great deal if you want a console with great games as it is. It really depends on how patient and how deep your pockets are. :D

dimlight
03-27-2006, 06:52 PM
Well .. the japs made it very clear that it would launch WORLDWIDE on november.. officially. They wouldnt want to miss the holidays either. Its because of their blu ray format, its not ready yet and their still having problems with the cost.

Radoman
03-27-2006, 11:48 PM
Some of you guys are real idiots. The man asked a simple question, someone who isn't up to date with his gaming probably won't enjoy hardcore PC sims and wants something alot more accessible, which is where GT4 excels.

My wife wants to get me a Playstation for my birthday in a few weeks. (I know... she is wonderful!! :D ) The PS2's have been going on ridiculous sales around here. I really only want it for the racing games... mostly GT4.

Does anyone know when the PS3 will be out? Is it going to be worth waiting and probably double the money for the PS3? Are there any plans for a Grand Turismo 5 for the PS3? If it is going to come out in the next few months… then I might tell her to wait. Any info would be great! Thanks!!

The PS3 is, of course, a long way off. You might as well grab that PS2 now, because you'll be waiting alot longer than a few months to be playing GT5.

NuclearCrap
03-28-2006, 12:28 AM
Defintely what Matra said. I probably wont buy another Playstation2 game, PC simracing is much better. Racing online with friends etc is a great addon.

I upgraded my PC for slightly under £400, which 1/4 of it went to a new HardDrive, but it wasnt really needed. £110 on Graphics, £80 on MOMO wheel, £40 on Power Unit, and some games. Even at that, i can run GTR (check the threads, great game!) at full settings, and there is no problemm at all.

Id go pc. I wouldnt buy a PS3 until Gran Turismo 5 came out with a decent wheel combination.

Believe me I thought about only upgrading a few things too back before I bought this computer, but then I was like "hmmmmm........my 5200 sucks, my mobo doesn't have PCI, it doesn't support AMD, the case sucks, power supply won't handle the things I want, DVD drives acting up, the CRT monitor is shit, processor doesn't even go up to 1ghz....hell, even the keyboard and mouse is gay. Wait a minute, where did this $8 sound card came from? Well at least it's better than on-board audio." :D Then I went for a whole new computer. :D :D Adam, try put on 8x FSAA in the nVidia settings, your gpu can handle it and I know it. :)

Oh and of course there are plans for GT5 but it's still a wonder whether it would be the introductory game for PS3, since it may come out a while after the PS3 launch.

And yes I just ranted about my old computer which I'm still using today only for hosting purpose. :D

Matra et Alpine
03-28-2006, 02:21 AM
Some of you guys are real idiots. The man asked a simple question, someone who isn't up to date with his gaming probably won't enjoy hardcore PC sims and wants something alot more accessible, which is where GT4 excels.
Hmmm, methinks you should learn a little about "hardcore PC sims" before sounding off.
You dont' know IF he wants something "more accessible" and yet YOU call folks "idiots" for pointing out if he did he should consider the PC and giving him options to make a decision on ?

The term "idiot" is msappplied in your post, but fits well in this one :D

Run any of the "hardcore PC sims" in arcade-mode and it feels like the GT series. .... Hmmm, maybe GPL is the exception , it always makes you work hard, but that's 60s single-seaters for you :D

adamfraser
03-28-2006, 06:24 AM
Adam, try put on 8x FSAA in the nVidia settings, your gpu can handle it and I know it. :)

I do, but take it off when recording videos off GTR, as it slows it down so much. :(

NuclearCrap
03-28-2006, 07:21 AM
I do, but take it off when recording videos off GTR, as it slows it down so much. :(

Of course we all know that even 2x FSAA would kill video recording..........it's just for gameplay, try it and see if it runs good, I really wanna know. :)

adamfraser
03-28-2006, 07:28 AM
I have, and it works well. Very well. No hiccups or anyhting.

jwoolz48
03-28-2006, 07:31 AM
If I was rich I'd wait for the PS3 but the PS2 is a great deal if you want a console with great games as it is. It really depends on how patient and how deep your pockets are. :D

Haha... the pockets are not that deep! :D I will tell her the PS2 is an option! Thanks magracer for the steering wheel recommendation... that was going to be my next question!

I am sure the computer simulation games would be better... but since I really only want 2-3 games and I will not be playing it a ton, the PS2 seems the best way to go. I am not really a hard core gamer.

Thanks for all the info!! I will for sure join the GT4 Group if she gets me one!

vantage-v8
03-31-2006, 08:53 AM

GT4 game: CAN$ 49.95
Playstation 2: CAN$ 159.95
Driving Pro Steering wheel: CAN$ 139.95

For less than CAN$ 400.00 taxes included, you have a GREAT videogame, that will cost a lot less than any required serious computer upgrades... and you can play online (CAN$40.00 more!). And you have a DVD-CD player at the same time.

Matra et Alpine
03-31-2006, 09:07 AM
"computer upgrade" costs always depend on starting point :D
You can buy a brand new computer for $500 more than capable of playing and enjoying :D
Most people actually already have the capability to run games at PS2 graphics detail if viewed on a tv ( a great softener of image :) )

But I agree the PS2/GT4 is a great VIDEOGAME --- nuff said :D
( PS: computers play dvds and cds too .... that bit that sticks out is NOT a coffee cup holder :D )

RazaBlade
03-31-2006, 09:33 AM
I will for sure join the GT4 Group if she gets me one!

Look forward to it dude!!!

Radoman
04-02-2006, 11:25 PM
Hmmm, methinks you should learn a little about "hardcore PC sims" before sounding off.
You dont' know IF he wants something "more accessible" and yet YOU call folks "idiots" for pointing out if he did he should consider the PC and giving him options to make a decision on ?

The term "idiot" is msappplied in your post, but fits well in this one

Run any of the "hardcore PC sims" in arcade-mode and it feels like the GT series. .... Hmmm, maybe GPL is the exception , it always makes you work hard, but that's 60s single-seaters for you
03-27-2006 10:28 PM

Haha... the pockets are not that deep! :D I will tell her the PS2 is an option! Thanks magracer for the steering wheel recommendation... that was going to be my next question!

I am sure the computer simulation games would be better... but since I really only want 2-3 games and I will not be playing it a ton, the PS2 seems the best way to go. I am not really a hard core gamer.

Thanks for all the info!! I will for sure join the GT4 Group if she gets me one!

Come again, MeA? I know a casual gamer when I see one, and I know for a fact that casual gamers aren't interested in games tailored for the hardcore. This, of course, is not a criticism, but you seem to think it is.

I also know PC fanboys when I see one. It's a PC fanboy that, clearly shown in this thread, answers a question nobody asked.

Tell you what, I'm not interested in turning this into a giant flame war (I don't spend enough time here to actually put any heart into any arguement), but fact is he wasn't asking for PC games, he wanted to know if GT4 is a good choice as opposed to waiting for the PS3. That's that.

Matra et Alpine
04-03-2006, 02:13 AM
Come again, MeA? I know a casual gamer when I see one, and I know for a fact that casual gamers aren't interested in games tailored for the hardcore. This, of course, is not a criticism, but you seem to think it is.
:) I've got a great job for you.
If you can KNOW that he woudl and always was a casual car gamer from the first post then you can make a fortune in business :D
Using hindsight from the second post to critique any earlier inputs is just crass !!!

I also know PC fanboys when I see one. It's a PC fanboy that, clearly shown in this thread, answers a question nobody asked.
More KNOWledge ?
This one though loses you that multi-million a year job .... not realsising that peopoe somtimes ask the wrong question adn it's worht exploring the wide range of posibilities before making recommendations.
Shame, better not tell the family you lost out on that great job :)

Tell you what, I'm not interested in turning this into a giant flame war (I don't spend enough time here to actually put any heart into any arguement), but fact is he wasn't asking for PC games, he wanted to know if GT4 is a good choice as opposed to waiting for the PS3. That's that.
Some of us don't make huge assumptions.
REad it again ... his wife wanted to buy him a playstation -- WHY ?
not bothereing to find that out is bad assistance.
Giving people options so THEY can decide what's best for them is best way to "serve" :D

Think ... how many UCPers are now considering kit cars who would never have thought how much value and performance they give ? And yet kits very seldom fall into "ultimate" and so never really have a place in this forum :) Or did I "KNOW" that everyone really wanted a kit car :D

Yeah, you're annoyed that "we" put other options that you don't like up for the reader to choose from. That's fine, but dont' tart it up as "avoiding flame wars" :D

Radoman
04-06-2006, 09:31 PM
^^^I'm only "avoiding flame wars" because, as I said, I'm not on here often and thusly it's kinda pointless. Look, you can't have a proper "flame war" without the intimate and intimidating feeling of two posters sending off their shit in rapid fire succession, usually over one or two nights. Look, it's been like 3 days since I last checked this thread.

It's not like I'm just going to jump in and say my piece, only to completely jump back out like a coward. Just don't expect that kind of heated debate you're probably used to getting into with more regular users.

tuk3410
04-14-2006, 09:48 AM
I'll wait it too, and than wait some more until I can afford one.

Three colours, WHITE SILVER BLACK. White is so nice on it.
http://www.gamersreports.com/hosted/images/ps3-small-1.jpg

white rules!
the only thing is it wont match my psp:mad: as they are fully compatible!!!

matek
04-14-2006, 10:12 AM
The PS2 slimline can now be bought for 9 quid with GT4 the price i saw at the HMV in kingston this is the UK im talkining about not america/Canada so dont know whats it like there.

And what are emulators like these days when running one with a high end PC, i remember running a PS2 one a couple of years back since then have upgraded back then i cant say it was an amazing experience, just asking because the guy could always buy himself a really good upgrade play all PC sims GTR and i think TOCA 3 is on there so should be entertained enough there, plus if the emulator worked out then hed have GT4 to play, then when the PS3 comes out which will probably come out when they say just with hundreds of faults in it and theyll have to recal most of the first models to fix them.

So GT5 wont come out straight away on PS3 so go for the PC upgrade plus if the emulator works out you should have had enough time to put away money for the PS3 and GT5 and by then the price might have decreased significantly enough.

azntuner90
04-19-2006, 03:40 PM
$500 in early november will get u a PS3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I got 500 i just need 2 wait

DesmoRob
05-07-2006, 10:36 PM
Is GT4 really good? I'm planning on buying a PS2 soon, and that's the game I've got in my sights. All your opinions would be much appreciated. Thanks:D

NuclearCrap
05-07-2006, 11:31 PM
Is GT4 really good? I'm planning on buying a PS2 soon, and that's the game I've got in my sights. All your opinions would be much appreciated. Thanks:D

Physically, it's the best console driving simulation with awesome 900 degrees wheel support. The down side is that it doesn't look as pretty as games on Microsoft consoles(don't mind that unless you're into graphics that much), and it doesn't have online mode, although I've heard that some people have exploited the LAN mode and used it as online somehow.