PDA

View Full Version : MG XPower SV or SV-R sightings

XPower
03-28-2006, 04:36 PM
Hi all,

I'd be grateful if any of you could post here any photos that you have taken over the years of any MG XPower SVs or SV-Rs.

Did you see one at MG Sport & Racing, at a car show, in a local dealership, at a motor show, in a car park, in someone's drive or at a race meeting?

Either way, I'd be very grateful if you could post any images you have, and accompany them with the location and a date if at all possible. Nothing sinister I assure you - just a little project I'm putting together.

Many thanks in advance.

Here's one I saw being 'driven' by MG BTCC team member Anthony Reid at an MG Rover dealer day at Curborough Sprint Course, near Lichfield on 11 July 2004. Apologies about the quality, but it was somewhat distant, and I only had a split second to capture it!

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/702/167dscn54015nc.th.jpg (http://img135.imageshack.us/my.php?image=167dscn54015nc.jpg)

bmwpower
03-28-2006, 04:54 PM
Wow, that's a beast, too bad we don't have any in Canada, wouldn't mind seeing one fly by me ;)

drakkie
03-28-2006, 11:52 PM
not my own pictures but here are some old press shots.Resolution varies cos of file size limits.

source: newspress.co.uk

:Exige:
03-29-2006, 02:37 AM
Some pictures I took at the 2002 British Motorshow when the car was debuted there.

RazaBlade
03-29-2006, 02:52 AM
This car had potential when I first heard about its details. Too bad the company went under....

Matra et Alpine
03-29-2006, 03:42 AM
What are you goign to use them for ?
Are you going to credit the original owners and in the event of making money from the effort, share part of it to the original copyright owners ?
There are some pics and vid (for the sound) of a bright yellow one in the Knockhill thread http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3580

drakkie
03-29-2006, 06:38 AM
What are you goign to use them for ?
Are you going to credit the original owners and in the event of making money from the effort, share part of it to the original copyright owners ?
There are some pics and vid (for the sound) of a bright yellow one in the Knockhill thread http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3580

you have got a point :) i therefor added a copyright thingy on this picture. It was made on the Amsterdam AutoRAI show in march/april (?) 2005.

Matra et Alpine
03-29-2006, 07:17 AM
you have got a point :) i therefor added a copyright thingy on this picture. It was made on the Amsterdam AutoRAI show in march/april (?) 2005.
Almost all nations have now accepted the revision on interpretation of Copyright law that it is no longer NECESSARY to mark an item as copyright for it to be protected.

So anyone USING the images here without seeking our permission CAN be taken to court for costs :D

:Exige:
03-29-2006, 07:46 AM
This car had potential when I first heard about its details. Too bad the company went under....
Technically it wasn't built by MG and thus they were still being built after the company went under. The people responsible for the SV didn't get any parts from MG-Rover; infact most of it was made in Italy. Anyone remember when they purchased Qvale? Well their parts are sourced from where ever Qvale got their parts from I think. Either way, the buying of Qvale was integral to the whole SV project.

nopassn
03-29-2006, 08:08 AM
I don't know about their other cars, but Qvale used Ford Mustang parts quite extensively on the Mangusta... the engine, tranny, many interior parts, et al...

Rijoh
03-29-2006, 08:30 AM
I saw the silver Xpower SV at the Amsterdam Autorai 2003, and the yellow one at the Amsterdam Autorai 2005 :)

03-29-2006, 09:10 AM
Some pictures I took at the 2002 British Motorshow when the car was debuted there.damn, would have about 15, but i lost all my pics due to a dodgy Linux install!

Piacki_117
03-29-2006, 09:35 AM
Only two pics

XPower
03-29-2006, 12:49 PM
Many, many thanks for your MG XPower SV and SV-R image contributions chaps - most grateful indeed.

But please, rest assured that the ONLY reason that I posted the original request on UCP is that I am literally attempting to find out exactly how many SVs / SV-Rs were ever made, and to also compile a detailed history of each car's past, including what shows or events they have each attended.

I WILL NOT profit from the photographs above in one little bit, I promise you! They have all been printed out, and are credited with not only the website or the forum where I initially found them, but also with the relevant photographers name, or membership name.

If you STILL feel uneasy about this exercise, then by all means, either plaster your photographs with some relevant copyright text to stop anybody doing anything with them, or alternatively don't even post them on here in the first place!

My request is totally genuine, and I am an honest guy simply searching for the truth regarding build numbers and history - THAT'S ALL!

I look forward to your views.

XPower
03-29-2006, 02:00 PM
not my own pictures but here are some old press shots. Resolution varies cos of file size limits.
Thanks 'drakkie' but I have managed to download all of the high resolution press images from the MG Rover media site over the last few years. So I'm not after press pics I'm afraid - grateful as I am for your input!

Only two pics
Where were these photos taken 'Piacki_117'? I know it's the same Sunspot Yellow car that appeared at several other European motor shows, but at present I do not recognise the car's surroundings in your two photos.

Matra et Alpine
03-29-2006, 04:06 PM
My request is totally genuine, and I am an honest guy simply searching for the truth regarding build numbers and history - THAT'S ALL!

I look forward to your views.
Nice answer to the concerns, XP.

happy to help a real enthusiast.
The yellow one at Knockhill was a customers car. I can give you the registration if you want it ( I removed it for security reasons on the posted pics ) PM me.

XPower
03-29-2006, 04:17 PM
Many thanks for your appreciation of my 'quest' to find them all.

Thanks also for the offer of letting me have a reference of the Reg Nº of the Sunspot Yellow car you saw at Knockhill. I have had a look at the thread you supplied a link to, and knowing what I know about each car so far, I have already identified which car it is!

There are so many things that are possibly different on each car - body colour, interior colour, side vent colour, interior material (alcantara or leather), different wheels (depending on whether an SV or an SV-R), large rear wing, only the SV-R had red painted calipers, manual or automatic, right hand or left hand drive, aero kit added, sunstrip or no sunstrip, etc.

At the latest count there were approx 60 right hand drive cars and 25 left hand drive cars made in total. Through the process of elimination, and even if someone has blurred out the Reg Nº from the photographers, I am still very confident of actually identifying an individual car, as each car is likely to be unique!

XPower
03-29-2006, 04:35 PM
Oh, nearly forgot - Happy Birthday by the way!

Coventrysucks
03-30-2006, 06:19 AM
I've seen the black press car a few times at various events - the London MotorExpo (2004 I think) and at a private function.

I'll see if I can dig up some pics of it.

I also saw an SVR at a local car show, but I can't remember anything about it, i.e. colours etc, and I don't have any photos.

It was probably the Thames Valley / Bucks area demo car.

Piacki_117
03-30-2006, 11:15 AM
Where were these photos taken 'Piacki_117'? I know it's the same Sunspot Yellow car that appeared at several other European motor shows, but at present I do not recognise the car's surroundings in your two photos.
Normally I save some information like the location in the pics before posting them (right clic, ...).
But if you can't see them, those pics were taken at Salon du Coupé et du Cabriolet, in Paris. This is a very small sportscar show. I'll go there again on sunday. :)

drakkie
03-30-2006, 11:22 AM
I saw the silver Xpower SV at the Amsterdam Autorai 2003, and the yellow one at the Amsterdam Autorai 2005 :)

in that case, i missed out on the silver one in 2003 :) However you missed the silver one in 2005 :D Didnt visit the supercar paddock, did you ?:)

Rijoh
03-30-2006, 11:54 AM
in that case, i missed out on the silver one in 2003 :) However you missed the silver one in 2005 :D Didnt visit the supercar paddock, did you ?:)
No way I'm gonna mis an Enzo and Carrera GT :)
I took some pics of the silver one too, missed them yesterday, here they are

XPower
04-01-2006, 04:44 AM
Thank you all for your valued contributions - much appreciated for sure!

I've seen the black press car a few times at various events - the London MotorExpo (2004 I think) and at a private function.

I'll see if I can dig up some pics of it.

I also saw an SVR at a local car show, but I can't remember anything about it, i.e. colours etc, and I don't have any photos.

It was probably the Thames Valley / Bucks area demo car.
Yes, I know exactly which car you are referring to 'Coventrysucks', but even still, if you do have some images from the 2004 Motor Expo at Canary Wharf, or any other occasion, I appreciate if you could dig them out, and post them with some further details of location, event, date.

Thanks for confirming that you saw the Sunspot Yellow car at the Salon du Coupé et du Cabriolet 'Piacki_117'. After I asked the question, I checked with some other photos I have printed out, and identified it as that show. I think the carpet colour and rope barriers gave the game away - in a very sad anoraky type of way!

Thank you again for all of your contributions.

VtecMini
04-01-2006, 06:22 AM
I know this is a bit sketchy, but there was one for a while at my local Rover dealer, Luffield of Loughborough. I think it was dark green, with the big OZ wheels. It's probably no help, but just a thought.

XPower
04-02-2006, 05:47 AM
Thanks for that 'VtecMini'. Yes, the car in question was originally their demonstrator, as they were one of the appointed official XPower dealers for the car. I gather it has now been acquired by the MD of Luffield.

Coventrysucks
04-03-2006, 02:58 AM
if you do have some images from the 2004 Motor Expo at Canary Wharf, or any other occasion, I appreciate if you could dig them out, and post them with some further details of location, event, date.

Pic 20/21 - MotorExpo 2004

Pic 77/78 - Mobil 1 pre-Silverstone Garden Party, 10th July 2004 Fawsley Hall, Northamptonshire

matek
04-03-2006, 03:05 AM
I know of one owner who has payed good money to get his hands on one and thats Rowan Atkinson, He's got a dark green one from i rememeber.

I no of the black one your talking about i saw it MPH 04, quite a character for a car.:)

2ndclasscitizen
04-03-2006, 03:43 AM
I actually really like them with the spoiler. I remember thinking during the Top Gear episode when JC drove it, it looks really good, except the rear looks incomplete, but that spoiler completes the look for me.

Coventrysucks
04-03-2006, 05:42 AM
I know of one owner who has payed good money to get his hands on one and thats Rowan Atkinson, He's got a dark green one from i rememeber.

Wasn't his on loan from MG?

I seem to remember reading in Evo that he had to hand it back when they went under.

XPower
04-03-2006, 11:20 AM
Pic 20/21 - MotorExpo 2004

Pic 77/78 - Mobil 1 pre-Silverstone Garden Party, 10th July 2004 Fawsley Hall, Northamptonshire
Fantastic contribution there 'Coventrysucks' - I never even knew the car appeared at that last event. Very grateful indeed for your input.

Year the car Rowan Atkinson wrote about for EVO Magazine wasn't actually his car, but one on loan from MG Sport & Racing. It was returned after the company went into administration, and is now in the hands of the auctioneers, on behalf of the administrators. A similar fate befell virtually every other car that had been loaned to anyone else.

XPower
05-12-2006, 03:58 PM
Anymore contributions of images of MG XPower SV sightings chaps?