PDA

View Full Version : statesman

v8 lover
03-28-2006, 06:24 PM
Hi ,

I'am looking at buying a 2003 wh II Statesman.(v8 of course)

Is there anything wrong with this model ,or anything to look out for ?.
It has only 48.000 k's and complete history of service.

When I was younger (i'am now 47) I owned a HQ 2 door 253 . Which ran low 16's at that time with only a bit of work.Now I want to tow my boat and now I have got that
heavy foot work under control .(well most of the time). I still like the odd burn out
every now and then.(That smell takes me back a while.)

Any comments would be great.

2ndclasscitizen
03-28-2006, 11:14 PM
Have a listen to it at idle, just to check for piston slap or knocking, but with 48k and a full service history and being a statesman, it should be fine.

fpv_gtho
03-29-2006, 03:11 AM
Sounds like an alright buy, what sort of money is it going for?

You might experience some annoyances with the transmittion such as clunkiness and slow shifts, although you cant do too much about that.

Full service history and being a high end car should ensure its ready to go though

SlickHolden
03-29-2006, 11:47 AM
Hi ,

I'am looking at buying a 2003 wh II Statesman.(v8 of course)

Is there anything wrong with this model ,or anything to look out for ?.
It has only 48.000 k's and complete history of service.

When I was younger (i'am now 47) I owned a HQ 2 door 253 . Which ran low 16's at that time with only a bit of work.Now I want to tow my boat and now I have got that
heavy foot work under control .(well most of the time). I still like the odd burn out
every now and then.(That smell takes me back a while.)

Any comments would be great.
Hi, If you can do it, Try and get down to test drive the car first ting in the morning when it's been sitting over night, Have your best ears on and listen away.
While your off on a test drive, Ask when was the last time it was serviced, Then when you pull up pop the bonnet have a look at the dip stick see what colour it is anything that's very dark in a LS1 isn't so good but i mean black black, Even sniff the dip stick to see if it smells funny.
Another thing this really shouldn't be so much of a problem cause i think by this time Holden had finally got the engine problems pretty much fixed, But ask them has this engine been changed under warranty for any problems, If they ask you why say i have herd and know a couple of people with these engines that have had massive problems with them, And they were changed under Holden Warranty.
Don't be to scared if the Tranny feels a little bad, It's just they aren't the best. But being Auto you wont have to worry about some of the 6 speeds popping out of gear:D.
Also ask was the side air bags fixed under the Holden recall.
But other then that it's KM's and year sounds pretty good.

One other thing if you can when it sits for 20min ask them can they start it again to here if it has piston slap after it's been run. Most of them only do it after a run and then a restart.
But you should be really clear on this car as most of the engines problems were 2-4 years before this model.

2ndclasscitizen
03-29-2006, 03:58 PM
You might experience some annoyances with the transmittion such as clunkiness and slow shifts, although you cant do too much about that.
its not actually that bad at around town speeds, I only notice the clunky shifts when giving it some beans

SlickHolden
03-30-2006, 10:35 PM
How have you gone? Any luck at all?