PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a car to buy. I need help.

KarateBoy
03-10-2004, 06:07 PM
Hi all, I just wanted to ask everyone in here for a little help with choosing whic car to buy, for my first one. I'm looking for a Toyota Corolla between the years 86-92. Not a station wagon and definetely a manual transmission. I was wonder what can you buys tell me about this car. To be honest i know very little and anything you can tell me would be great. All i know is they are supposed to be very well balanced and be "good" for drifting, or so i heard. Like i said whatever you can tell me would be great. Thanks in advanced.

kiwitt
03-10-2004, 06:46 PM
Someone may correct me, but the AE86 engined coupe is the one to get. This was racing well after it ceased manufacture on club circuits.

KarateBoy
03-10-2004, 09:01 PM
Someone may correct me, but the AE86 engined coupe is the one to get. This was racing well after it ceased manufacture on club circuits.

Can some one tell me a little more about the car. I'm looking for it to have rwd but all the cars i see have fwd.

kiwitt
03-10-2004, 09:03 PM
http://www.geocities.com/rookietrial/toyotaae86.html for details.

KarateBoy
03-12-2004, 08:51 PM
http://www.geocities.com/rookietrial/toyotaae86.html for details.

Thanks a lot, i appreaciate it. Now i have to figure out where i can find one and what is a goood price for it if it would be in a good condition.

Misho
03-13-2004, 07:41 AM
I know that Corollas vary widely from one market to another. Maybe if you could tell us your location we could be of more help.

Falcon500
03-13-2004, 08:07 AM
Well when i was detailing i got to drive the 00 current body style and i found it asurpsingly good drive though its interior was sapcious it also was very bland and this was the standard model 5 door hatch i was driveing but as i said all in all not bad.

sandwich
03-13-2004, 10:15 AM
check out the isuzu impulse, especially the 80's versions. Many had 2.2 liter engines and rwd.

in the 90's, some got turbo, awd, and lotus tuned suspension (isuzu built engines for lotus) but had a smaller 1.6L engine.

Either would be a fun car, and the earlier would probably be pretty decent for drifting, if that's your bag.

Ps, they are cheap cars with real nice ones going for 5k in the us.

mechanixfetch
03-13-2004, 12:17 PM
why would you want the 88-92 corolla which btw is the AE92 not the AE86 the AE86 is the 85-87 GTS model with the 16 valve 124hp engine and RWD in 1980 toyota turned to a FWD setup like their competitors for better traction in adverse conditions.

Egg Nog
03-13-2004, 05:05 PM
in 1980 toyota turned to a FWD setup like their competitors for better traction in adverse conditions.

AKA Made the connection between the safe halding characteristics of FWD and what their consumer base wanted, making it no longer such a fun car to drive :(

KarateBoy, just out of curiosity, what lead you to want this car, as opposed to any other?

KarateBoy
03-15-2004, 05:21 PM
AKA Made the connection between the safe halding characteristics of FWD and what their consumer base wanted, making it no longer such a fun car to drive :(

KarateBoy, just out of curiosity, what lead you to want this car, as opposed to any other?

I haven't let fully decided if i will get it but i like the idea that's so light and that many of the articles i have read about say it is very well balanced and good for drifting "which is my bag"

I'll check out that isuzu impulse, sounds like it would be to my liking, although 5K is sorta steep for me.

One a final note, i believe that the ae86s had RWD and as it has been stated before those came out between the years 85-87

sandwich
03-15-2004, 05:25 PM
the pImpulses normally go for MUCH cheaper than 5k...but this one was really nice, turboed, repainted, carbon fiber hood, etc. Still only 5k! Keep your eye on ebay, they pop up everyonce in a while and are usually overlooked cause it's an Isuzu.

You'll probably pay more for the ae86 because it's a bit of a collector car.

KarateBoy
03-15-2004, 05:34 PM
the pImpulses normally go for MUCH cheaper than 5k...but this one was really nice, turboed, repainted, carbon fiber hood, etc. Still only 5k! Keep your eye on ebay, they pop up everyonce in a while and are usually overlooked cause it's an Isuzu.

You'll probably pay more for the ae86 because it's a bit of a collector car.

That makes a little but more sense to me because an old car like that for 5K was a bit of a shocker for me. I want a stock car so i can do the modifications my self and therefore learn more about cars and have lots of fun at the same time.

KarateBoy
03-17-2004, 06:53 PM
I need a few suggestions. I checked out the isuzu impulse and it's pretty heavy. One of the maine reasons i liked the Trueno/Corolla is because it relatively light so it can somewhat move. The impulse seems like it can lose pretty badly to a civic but i think i would need some more information on it. How do you think is the car "drift-wise" and weight distribution. Also is a AE86 RWD made in the US or would i have to import it?

Edit: What do you guys think of a nissan 240sx? What can you tell me bout it?

sandwich
03-17-2004, 07:20 PM
Hm...if you have to import that car (and I think you do if you're in the US), then it's not an option. Importation costs are huge, and will EASILY outweigh the cost of the car itself.

As for the pimpulse, I have no idea weight distribution or anything else, I just know it's 2.2L with RWD, not a bad combo if spinning your tires while going around in circles is your thing.

Other option: the older celica (79 ish) was RWD with a solid axle and a reasonable 4 banger. There are actually plenty of small cars with similar properties. It depends how big you want to go and how powerful.

AMC hornets and AMX's had V8 options with fairly short wheelbases. Imagine a 304 with a 96" wheelbase....vroooooooooooooooooooooooooooom skreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeech weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

KarateBoy
03-17-2004, 07:48 PM
Hm...if you have to import that car (and I think you do if you're in the US), then it's not an option. Importation costs are huge, and will EASILY outweigh the cost of the car itself.

As for the pimpulse, I have no idea weight distribution or anything else, I just know it's 2.2L with RWD, not a bad combo if spinning your tires while going around in circles is your thing.

Other option: the older celica (79 ish) was RWD with a solid axle and a reasonable 4 banger. There are actually plenty of small cars with similar properties. It depends how big you want to go and how powerful.

AMC hornets and AMX's had V8 options with fairly short wheelbases. Imagine a 304 with a 96" wheelbase....vroooooooooooooooooooooooooooom skreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeech weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

thanks for the info. I do live in the U.S so that though it out of the picture. I want to learn a bit more about the 180sx, 240sx and 300zx. I would appreaciate if someone would tell me something about these cars. RWD? HP? etc... thanks.

sandwich
03-17-2004, 09:05 PM
I know nothing about the 180sx. The 240sx is a nice car, not sure if it's FWD or RWD, but it's nothing special, uninspired engine and bland package.

The 300zx on the other hand, was a fine car pushing 240 (i think) HP in it's original evolution, and 300 in the second. 3.0 liter v6, some available with a turbo. I almost bought one. I read about one in a magazine, the guy had reworked the engine for 520 HP. He didn't do that much, but he did have a huge turbo on it. The old ones are not the most attractive cars, but the new ones look really good. It's heavier though, so that kind of sucks. The older ones are real cheap (around 2000). I think they're both fairly popular tuner cars.

KarateBoy
03-18-2004, 06:36 PM

I agree, import costs are outrageous. Whant can you guys tell me about a 240sx or a 300zx from the years 87-91?

sandwich
04-14-2004, 08:57 AM
not sure if you're still looking, but:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6271&item=2473711643&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

impulse (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6271&item=2473711643&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW)

KnifeEdge_2K1
04-21-2004, 08:31 PM
depends on where you live, an older rx 7 is good (in its day it was one of the best cornering cars) they're hard to find in good condition now ... i saw one rusted through and through yesterday, brought a tear to my eye

well first off, DONT get overconfident or else youll be dying not drifting, practice in a parking lot before you go try and show off to your friends

if you want to really "drift" you NEED a rear wheel drive car, AWD does more of a 4 wheel power slide but some can drift when suspension is tuned properly (most of the "rally" ones can like the homologation lancers or imprezas) fwd at best can only powerslide since its next to impossible to make the rear loose traction (ull need to be good with handbreak and change teh springs)

if you're a new driver then you probably should not be trying to drift (i myself am only 16 and been driving not even for half a year, all i know about cars is from shows like top gear and my brother who is a car guru). what you must remember is when you're in a car your first priority is safety, for yourself, your passengers and the cars arround you.

there are many methods of drifting, the braking drift which uses ur brakes to transfer weight to the front and let the rear slide, throttle induced oversteer drifts which basically is going into a corner and just flooring it while controlling ur car with the wheel. a heavily used method in rallying is to turn in the opposite dirrection of the turn then snap it back so the weight transfer "loosens" the rear. as you can see there are multiple methods and each will serve a different car.

contrary to most beliefes horesepower is not a nesscecity for drifting since most amatuers and novices can only safetly "drift" at low speeds (Initial D is NOT REAL REMEMBER THAT). your best bet would be an old RX7 or Acura Legend, Nissan S** ect. if you're lucky enough to live in japan then you could probably find an old AE86 (they're so popular now though so itll cost more than u think) newayz, sorry for ranting and gluck with your new car ^^