PDA

View Full Version : Define Rice rocket

mechanixfetch
03-10-2004, 07:33 PM
So, I'm having a disagreement with a friend of mine he says that a Rice Rocket is; An asian with too much money and too much time who soups up his car crazily. I say that a Rice Rocket is any car although generally asian that has been modified exteriorally (sp?) ie Wing body kit, Fart can exhaust and hideous paint job with barely any attention paid to the actuall engine or handeling of the car aside from Lowering spreing and maybe a cold Air intake. Who is right?

kiwitt
03-10-2004, 07:38 PM
You maybe both closer to the truth. We don't use that term here in NZ. But "Rocket" implies straight line and hence no thought to handling only good for 1/4 miles et.al.

Batmobile_Turbo
03-10-2004, 08:33 PM
a ricer is the latter one that you said, a rice rocket however, is a car that is an asian car, and has been modified to drag race, people like them because they are cheap to buy and cheap to modify.

ace
03-10-2004, 08:35 PM
it's my opinion that rice or ricer is more a state of mind than a car so more the owner than the car like flashing the hazards at me when im in traffic and thing's like that ( I have seen lots of tuff jap cars that I would not call rice ) but i could be wrong
:D :rolleyes:

crisis
03-10-2004, 11:40 PM
( I have seen lots of tuff jap cars that I would not call rice ) but i could be wrong
:D :rolleyes:
Your own preference can not be "wrong". Original, quirky, eccentric, maybe, but its your preference. While I am greatly amused by the current RICE insult, I do not neccesarily dislike certain cars, Japanese or otherwise, that have tasteful visual enhancements. But again, these can only be viewed as objective and as such open to the criticism of the RICE police.

fpv_gtho
03-10-2004, 11:58 PM
well my definition of a ricer or a rice rocket would be somethign with overdone visual enhancements such as widebody kits, bodykits that scrape along the ground whilst driving normally, cannon exhausts and spoilers taller than the roof pretty much. theyre really too much of an individualist look so perhaps thats why alot of people think theyre overdone. not to mention if its got little to no engine modifications it definately gets the classification.

over at www.fordaustraliaforum.com though, someone found a picture of an XR6T with a centre mount spoiler and the GT side stripes and were screaming bloody murder tha someone had riced a BA. just goes to show the different perception of diferent people as crisis pointed out

henk4
03-11-2004, 01:24 AM
It's not only Asian cars that get the treatment that is normally associated with "ricer" if I understand that definition correctly. In Europe also VW Golfs and Opel/Vauxhall Astra's can be "improved" in ways that are being described here. However we make no association with German food at all.I think the only reason why these Japanese things are called ricers as that the word in Australia might be more or less similarly pronounced as "racer" (Based on Crocodile Dundee and the current Aussie prime minister)

fpv_gtho
03-11-2004, 01:35 AM
well trust me when i say theres a clear distinction between racer and ricer. the best way i reckon to judge an aussie accent is to listen to a normal citizen and ignore most of the big figures that get in the news, ESPECIALLY Paul Hogan, Steve Irwin and Kylie Minoque. Russel Crowe is probably the best example of what normal Australians sound like, same with Hugh Jackman (he played wolverine by the way) but still i guess you could say theres still a clear distinction between someone from the city and someone from a more rural area, where you could put Russel Crowe down as having more of a rural accent and Hugh Jackman as having a city accent. (also ive noticed that south australians tend to have a much higher british influenced accent)

I always thought that ricer came from rice being a key part of Japanese cuisine, and the cars subjected to this tuning torture were predominantly Japanese made

henk4
03-11-2004, 01:39 AM
I always thought that ricer came from rice being a key part of Japanese cuisine, and the cars subjected to this tuning torture were predominantly Japanese made

Well that the body of my message was that it's not only Japanese cars that get the treatment over here. (The thing about the accent just struck me as a coincidence :) )

fpv_gtho
03-11-2004, 01:43 AM
well its becoming increasing more popular around the world, but its with japanese cars that it started and hence how it got the ricer tag. so far with australian cars its just people sticking HSV bodykits on V6 commodore executives pretty much or walkinshaw bodykits on VL commodores

fpv_gtho
03-11-2004, 02:58 AM
This is good for a laugh: http://pub126.ezboard.com/ffordsperformancefalconsforumfrm1.showMessage?topi cID=2853.topic

Seriously i think some people out there just need to accept some people dont like to keep their cars stock. I mean, some of the things the guy in the first post for that link was mentioning are just plain stupid, like your a ricer if your stereo's got more watts than the engines got torque....stuff like that

henk4
03-11-2004, 03:12 AM
Nice, I picked out: "If you think horsepower is much more important than torque".

If you apply that then almost all UCP members would qualify as ricers. :D

fpv_gtho
03-11-2004, 03:14 AM
in general whilst i was reading through it there was alot of points to a certain degree that yeah i could agree with, but the ones i didnt agree with i really think the guy was getting paranoid

Batmobile_Turbo
03-11-2004, 05:19 PM
It's not only Asian cars that get the treatment that is normally associated with "ricer" if I understand that definition correctly. In Europe also VW Golfs and Opel/Vauxhall Astra's can be "improved" in ways that are being described here. However we make no association with German food at all.
if a VW golf had an outrageous spoiler and an overdone bodykit i would call it a ricer, even though i love VWs. and shouldn't it be called a krauter :p

kiwitt
03-11-2004, 05:50 PM
Here is the Definition of rice (http://www.cardomain.com/id/the_anti_rice)

What some people have done to their cars .... check out the BMW with multiple wings.

rb30
03-11-2004, 06:25 PM
a ricer is just a plain old shltbox could be a 120y or a rooted old kingswood, a ricer generally blows smoke and lots of it. ricer can also mean civic with spoiler, integra with boost guage but no turbos and my most hated :mad: 86kw lancer with evo VI bodykit; doesn't that spoiler slow you down son ;) . a rice rocket is a 9 second skyline or similar.

Falcon500
03-12-2004, 02:24 AM
No a shitbox is a shit box plain and simple....they also fall under the sub catigorys of B&S cars and other similar themes....

henk4
03-12-2004, 02:33 AM
Do we need a scientific definition what a ricer is? People everywhere like to cosmetically upgrade (improve??) their cars and they seem to enjoy it. If you/us, knowledgable people see such a car that might be the pride and joy of its owner, we will just smile and know better, also knowing that this guy has done deals with the aftermarket industry that may contribute to the profit of that industry so that they can economically do things for you/us that really improve a car.

Falcon500
03-12-2004, 03:09 AM
Not at all but you cant rope in stock as a rock cars eg my mums120y and my datsun sunny as ricers its too general and not accurate.

fpv_gtho
03-12-2004, 03:35 AM
its funny though, you can have a 60's/70's american muscle car and have a big block supercharged motor, with 15x8" mags on it running slicks, GT stripes or a blackened bonnet plus a subtle rear spoiler and its purely acceptable. then you can have a classic rally car decked out with driving lights, racing colours and everything else and its the same story. but when someone gets their civic and puts a bodykit, spoiler, muffler tip and 20" alloys on it most people stick up their nose.

im personally just a fence sitter on the whole ricer subject. i just take every case as i see them, but im definately opposed to just visual upgrades

SilverG35SportC
03-13-2004, 02:05 PM
Id say a ricer and a rice rocket are the same thing. A ricer in general is any person who thinks by adding a stereo system and body kit makes his car go faster and overall better. They think a performance momd is adding like a 3" wing. I have alot more to say about this topic but a good website is. www.riceboypage.com ....then go to rice boy hall of shame..there so BAD!!! thats what rice is all about.

kiwitt
03-14-2004, 01:36 PM
When I was a "kid" we had a saying "All show and no go". This must apply to a lot of ricers.