PDA

View Full Version : A question on car finance

SlickHolden
04-03-2006, 01:02 AM
When you buy a car on finance, Do you have to have insurance.
I'm thinking i can afford about $250 per month. But insurance might be $50 per month or more, Can't afford both at once so then my choice will be hurt by it. In the end i won't get the car i really want.
Got my eye on a Gen3 2000 VT II SS right now thats been sitting for a wile. http://tcimages.net/DisplayImage.aspx?PD=9004401&S=ISS
Very cheap $15990. And with trade and June i come into a little $$$$ then maybe i can sweet the deal to $10,000 on Finance. But if insurance is a must then being a V8 it's going to be bloody huge. So does anyone know??.

nota
04-03-2006, 01:25 AM
Comprehensive insurance is a requirement AFAIK and imo you'd be very unwise not to keep insuring. If the thing was pinched or smashed then you'd be up the creek and still paying through the nose. I once bought a 351 Ford on Lower Purchase (like Hire Purchase but for paupers) and came to regret it - never since!

That VT2 looks identical to the '00 manual SS that a mate leased from new. His donk was full of marbles. Seems unusually cheap for what it is, so & thorough check and maybe a leak-down test might be prudent if there's any doubts about the Gen3

SlickHolden
04-03-2006, 01:38 AM
Is third party insurance ok?
In the 13 years i have drove i haven't been involved in one accident, Unless you call looseing the front end of the VB in the wet cause it Bald slick tyres almost on the front and hit the back a a trucks trailer.
But the VB was pinched when mum went to bingo no club lock then:( But my drive way is as safe as telstra being shit:D Long story there:p.

This ones a Auto but yes i do fear the gremlins that these early Gen3's had i just hope if it did then Holden changed the donk under warranty, And if it's good its one of the good ones.
But i think cars are just getting cheaper now i have seen some VY SS for $27,000 and you can now grab VY's Exec's for $12,500.

nota
04-03-2006, 03:21 AM
I'm pretty sure that full comprehensive is a conditional requirement for approval of a HP finance loan (because THEY own the car, not you) and its implied (but not enforced) that you to keep re-insuring throughout the loan payback. I'm not so sure about bank/credit union requirements, but geez mate full insurance might only cost you $20-30 p/w if you shop around. Honestly I don't wish to preach but if $$ are gonna be so squeezy, then is this car worth all the hassle?

I met a bloke who'd recently bought a new VY SS here in Canberra. His pride & joy in that metallic green mucus-wash colour etc. But within 2 weeks of purchase all of his mags were pinched ($2500) and in the 3rd week (the night before I met him) the whole car got keyed:eek: Can you imagine?!

I took efforts to secure my new VK Group A but after only 11 months it was stolen from the locked garage underneath my house, never saw it again - luckily it WAS insured!

$16k (plus interest) seems a tempting price for that SS, but $10k+ of debt is still $10k of hassle imho. Hardly an equal comparison & merely a 'food for thought' example; my old Merc V8/auto has roof & leather etc, modded the exhaust for burble & new Michelins, everything works & its reliable, uses no oil. $7k of comprehensive insurance @ only $284 via Shannons. Good fun for the $$ imo .. all-up it currently owes me just $4400

pimento
04-03-2006, 03:37 AM
My mini cost me $1700. The body is a bit crap and I've spent a bit since then.. but there's no real need to get in debt for a nice car. I'd suggest you wait until you can just afford 16K on a car.

Mr. Jinx
04-03-2006, 06:27 AM
I'm pretty sure that full comprehensive is a conditional requirement for approval of a HP finance loan (because THEY own the car, not you) and its implied (but not enforced) that you to keep re-insuring throughout the loan payback. I'm not so sure about bank/credit union requirements, but geez mate full insurance might only cost you $20-30 p/w if you shop around. Honestly I don't wish to preach but if $$ are gonna be so squeezy, then is this car worth all the hassle?

I met a bloke who'd recently bought a new VY SS here in Canberra. His pride & joy in that metallic green mucus-wash colour etc. But within 2 weeks of purchase all of his mags were pinched ($2500) and in the 3rd week (the night before I met him) the whole car got keyed:eek: Can you imagine?!

I took efforts to secure my new VK Group A but after only 11 months it was stolen from the locked garage underneath my house, never saw it again - luckily it WAS insured!

$16k (plus interest) seems a tempting price for that SS, but $10k+ of debt is still $10k of hassle imho. Hardly an equal comparison & merely a 'food for thought' example; my old Merc V8/auto has roof & leather etc, modded the exhaust for burble & new Michelins, everything works & its reliable, uses no oil. $7k of comprehensive insurance @ only $284 via Shannons. Good fun for the $$ imo .. all-up it currently owes me just $4400
can we have an interior pic? :D

SlickHolden
04-03-2006, 06:35 AM

I'll tell you why my car is safe, I don't sleep at night:p I'm next to it, My gate takes a good battle to open it just the way i made it:D But i can here a cat jump on the bin, About 5 years ago when the car wasn't behind the gate i was watching a movie, Anyway i herd what sounded like the car door opening, Pulled back the blind and some dirty bogan was in it, Ran to the front door with my club and went ape shit chased the shit down the road till i was out of breath. Never happened again the word might have got around i got great ears and am a little nuts:p, I here one tap or anything that seem to come from outside I'm up out the door in a flash.
But the best thing here is there are 3 massive lights in the drive that scare off people walking into the units they are great about 200watt each.

People that key cars make me sick, They only do it out of jealous, My mate had his car done and it's a stock all over 1994 VR Berlina, My brothers car 2 weeks before he traded it in was keyed all the way from front to back, But for me i shop early and park away from cars as a rule, And the only other time my car sits out is mum at bingo:p That's the only unsafe place for it they have stolen cars there and stole some Cd's and the CD player out of my sisters VL. But I'm very lucky to have what i believe to be Holden's best immobiliser that saved it already once before i bought it.
What i really want is a VY Executive i much prefer the VY's intiria it just has so much better options standard.
I might look at Shannon's i was a bit interested in getting at least third party for my VP.

Pimento i bought my VP for $1700:)
Many people can afford $16,000 for a car but they can't save that or just can't save and then there only options are to get finance or personal loans for a car.
It's a nice car for sure, But if i really wanted the car i love the most it would cost me double easy. VYII Calais V8.

magracer
04-03-2006, 12:24 PM
If you can't afford full covergae insurance you can't afford the car.

I have been driving for 18 years and look at what happened to me two months ago:

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23786

I wasn't seriously injured but I reckon it was a matter of 1/100 of a second. If she had hit me on the door the story would be very different. She wasn't insured and she's going to have to pay for her car and my car (my insurance will make sure of that).

You can drive like an angel but there's too many demons driving out there...

Blue Supra
04-03-2006, 05:25 PM
comprehensive is a must. you cant get finance without it. end of story.

unless...

youre sneaky like me. :D

Get a personal loan (slightly higher interest rate) but it doesnt have to be insured because its not for a car right? *wink wink* I have 3rd party on mine.

Oh and just because youve never had a stack before doesnt mean it wont happen. A mate crashed his skyline just this morning whilst doing the speed limit (a rarity) he ran up the back of a commodore in heavy traffic. munched front end, no insurance. he's off the road for months.

thatdbeme
04-03-2006, 06:26 PM
not insuring anything worth over 6 grand isnt smart
all sorts of things can happen, kangaroos can jump infront of you

magracer
04-03-2006, 08:32 PM
not insuring anything worth over 6 grand isnt smart
all sorts of things can happen, kangaroos can jump infront of you

Again, you are thinking about yourself only. What if you hit someone in an luxury car and its your fault? What about if you injure someone? In both cases bills over $50,000 are a real possibility.

SlickHolden
04-03-2006, 09:16 PM
I'll have third party no worries but I'm not to worried about hitting people it's being hit, I'm a avoider of accidents and trust me i have avoided many over the years, My brother is a great driver but has been in many accidents, My sister has totalled many cars.
I was once when i got the VP hit in the rear by a new Camry at the lights, He lost the clutch:rolleyes: and hit me in the rear, No damage but i got a sore neck.
But i don't cross a train track without looking both ways it's just something in my driving that is always on the look out, If i smash i smash if it comes it comes nothing anyone can do about it,
It's just when some go out driving they think of where there going, I think of defencive driving and what others are doing.

Bluey you know my street on the right when you drove out there is some swings there, Just around that bend it's a little blind and the turn is real silly, Well one day i was in the old VB, And a car was coming out of a house and didn't look my way and belted it out the drive, I didn't think more then once i hit the loud peddle and thank god the old boy had just enough go to round his rear and miss the gutter, Cause if it braked i would have been in his rear door by the time i stooped.
And another one was going on the freeway i was in the inside right on the on ramp and floored it, the old tranny wasn't great so most of the time it wouldn't drop for acceleration much, As i was a coat of paint past a car on my outside he blinkered, And move slightly over then he come over on me, I had to select the bloody gear my self to accelerate to pass and just ran slightly on the gutter that gave me a little fright of rear sliding. Not that he didn't know o f was there with my new H4 70w Globes that cost me a mint:D ?Or the fact that i was at his drivers door by the time he move right over:rolleyes: Then gave me the horn of abuse.

I'm not avoiding comprehensive insurance it's just that sometimes for some it's to expensive for there driving, Right now my car sits in the drive with 235km on the clock, And thats for 2 weeks.
Now the footy is on that will be my most dangerous time with getting into accidents, Everyone knows how traffics jams in the city are bad going to the footy is as bad getting out of the car park can take hours bumper to bumper.
I'll admit I'm more worried about a accident then having the car stolen.
It would be alright if they had not just fire and theft on it's on but one for just accidents + the full comprehensive insurance.

3 years ago my mates VR wa broken into, they broke the passenger window and stole his CD player. Would have cost him $400 for the insurance to fix the window and replace the CD player. He had the window done for $80 and the CD player replace for $120.

Now it's not that i can't afford the insurance it's that it limits the car choice;)
You set a amount out thats good for you and nothing to over your budget, But ad insurance on top and it will blow it out, So then you go and find a car not your first choice just cheaper. When buying cars on finance the comprehensive insurance should come in the car with the first 12 months.

nota
04-03-2006, 11:23 PM
can we have an interior pic? :D
http://media6.uploadjar.com/file.php?file=uploads/mov01688.mpg

Just for you but no I won't eggnogg the trailer ;)

Blue Supra
04-03-2006, 11:32 PM
i only have 3rd party on mine because:

a) car was worth 12k to insure/ cost 3.5k to comprehensively cover.... errr no thanks.
b) premium is $1400 on a smash. itd take a fair hit to do that damage to another car.
c) third party is a measly $500 a year
d) with how modified the car is now id be lucky to get comp for under 4k a year... who the hell can afford that!?
e) i can get parts for my car cheap as chips, a whole front end would cost less then 2k.
f) theft/fire cover extra $300 a year (for a measly 3k cover after you pay your $1400 excess). Best car alarm/immob on market = $600. i dont live in a fire prone area so i figure the alarm is better then paying money to HOPE my car doesnt get stolen.
why bother when insurance is the biggest rip off ever?

fpv_gtho
04-04-2006, 12:26 AM
Didnt you get told before you bought the car, you'd be better off saving $1500-2K a year rather than insure it :p

nota
04-04-2006, 12:26 AM
^ $3.5k omg :eek:

Mine's a miserable $284 per year for a $7k agreed-value policy on a car bought for $3k (now owes me $4400) so if written off I'd be reimbursed $6600 (excess is $400) plus keep the wreck for nix

Due to previous crashes my wife pays about $380 .. also $7k agreed + wreck rights, with same excess .. on her similar M-B bought for $2k! I'm almost hoping she'll write it off! :D She got a free windscreen replacement ($220 value) as well, so her actual impost for 12 months of more-than full insurance has been a miniscule $160. A taxi Liberace'd her car last May - $4800 damage - but all taken care of with no fuss or penalty by Shannons, incuding repairer-of-choice. Btw JD's Smash in Fyshwick do an ace job ;)

SlickHolden
04-04-2006, 12:27 AM
i only have 3rd party on mine because:

a) car was worth 12k to insure/ cost 3.5k to comprehensively cover.... errr no thanks.
b) premium is $1400 on a smash. itd take a fair hit to do that damage to another car.
c) third party is a measly $500 a year
d) with how modified the car is now id be lucky to get comp for under 4k a year... who the hell can afford that!?
e) i can get parts for my car cheap as chips, a whole front end would cost less then 2k.
f) theft/fire cover extra $300 a year (for a measly 3k cover after you pay your $1400 excess). Best car alarm/immob on market = $600. i dont live in a fire prone area so i figure the alarm is better then paying money to HOPE my car doesnt get stolen.
why bother when insurance is the biggest rip off ever?
Like i was thinking Insurance should be a choice for safety, Not to influence what car you buy.
They charge extra cause they think just because you have a turbo it will be stolen yeah?

Right now i got road side assistance that is so insane, If i run out of petrol they will bring me $10 of fuel, Tow me 250km in Sydney also, Replace my keys come do minor repairs, i get 3 days of car hire up to $90 per day, Accommodation 3-5 days up to $150 per night, And so much more, And the best thing is if I'm driving someone Else's car and it brakes down I'm covered with the same in that car. All this for $55 per year. I also get legal advice for free:D.

fpv_gtho
04-04-2006, 12:34 AM
They charge extra cause they think just because you have a turbo it will be stolen yeah?

I think theyre more worried about turbo drivers being bigheaded, and like the RTA, assuming only sports cars come with turbo's. Therefore theres a much higher risk of having a crash.

SlickHolden
04-04-2006, 01:01 AM
I think theyre more worried about turbo drivers being bigheaded, and like the RTA, assuming only sports cars come with turbo's. Therefore theres a much higher risk of having a crash.
More risk of a VN crashing lol:D

fpv_gtho
04-04-2006, 01:05 AM
Thats like a 9 in 10 chance of occuring...

SlickHolden
04-04-2006, 01:34 AM
Don't be so nice:D 10/10:p

2ndclasscitizen
04-04-2006, 03:47 AM
speaking off finance, I found out something really irritating on the weekend. I was having a squiz on the Canberra motorcycle centre website, and they'll do finance on a L-legal CBR250 from $5 a week, and they'll do a helmet + gloves + jacket for learners for $500. I could've afforded that bloody easily and I've wanted a bike for ages, but now that I'm paying off the Lancer, I can't :mad: I've wanted a bike for ages. Though, I think the loans up in september, so i might just try and save as much as i can, and learn over summer, still :mad:

IBrake4Rainbows
04-04-2006, 04:32 AM
My friend rides a Motorcycle. He's such a hazard I fear for his safety everyday.

As a 19 year old my sister was forced to pay $500 Insurance (3rd party) for a $2300 Car! My insurance premium I dare not think about....

fpv_gtho
04-04-2006, 05:01 AM
speaking off finance, I found out something really irritating on the weekend. I was having a squiz on the Canberra motorcycle centre website, and they'll do finance on a L-legal CBR250 from $5 a week, and they'll do a helmet + gloves + jacket for learners for $500. I could've afforded that bloody easily and I've wanted a bike for ages, but now that I'm paying off the Lancer, I can't :mad: I've wanted a bike for ages. Though, I think the loans up in september, so i might just try and save as much as i can, and learn over summer, still :mad:

damn thats good....ive been thinkin of going for my bike license for ages.

theres like a whole load of driving courses they want you to do first though right?

motorsportnerd
04-04-2006, 05:21 AM
When you buy a car on finance, Do you have to have insurance.
But if insurance is a must then being a V8 it's going to be bloody huge. So does anyone know??.

1. Yes. Absolutely must have full insurance when the car is on finance. I had to when I bought my car.
2. You're not wrong - a V8 is going to be mega bucks. My insurer is CGU - they have pretty good premiums, and I have the full 60% no claims bonus. Unfortunately, I live in Sydney, so that means even a base near new Falcon or Corolla costs at least $800 a year. I'm considering purchasing either a BA XR6 or a Mazda6 later this year - yes it will be financed - and it will be insured fully. Even though the main performance changes of an XR6 over a BA XT are the 17 inch alloys, low profile tyres and sports suspension, it is still $550 a year more expensive to insure than an XT at about $1400. The Mazda6, being an import, is just under $1000 a year. A good old XT (and probably a VY Exec, haven't checked) is about $850 a year. And a V8? Best I could do, for either a VY SS or a BA XR8 was just under $2000. And although I have a garage, its a bit of a bitch of a driveway here, so my car tends to live outside. Hence, theft is a worry. Whatever the cost, I'll pay the insurance.
Maybe you can do better living in Melbourne though.

SlickHolden
04-04-2006, 07:10 AM
I have done some on-line qoutes i'll show you. This is based on my car, 1992 VP Commodore Executive V6 auto.
Exclueding all drivers under 25.
Both quotes with CGU.. Vechile parked behind gates.

First is me 29 years old driving since 16 no accidents no theft of car etc. Never claimed on anything.
I got 3 qoutes for me..

Quote 1: $1,523.90 Monthly: $126.99
Excess: Variable Excess $400
Age Excess:
Drivers under 19 $750
Drivers 19 to under 21 $600
Drivers 21 to under 25 $350
Inexperienced Drivers' Excess $350
Features: Trailer Cover $500
$20 million Liability Cover
New Car Guarantee
Up to 14 days replacement vehicle following theft
21 day Money Back Guarantee
Easy-Pay monthly instalment option
Emergency repairs after accidents $500
Conditions: Conditions apply, please view our Product Disclosure Statement and Policy

Quote 2: $1,371.51 Monthly: $114.29
New Car Guarantee
Conditions: Conditions apply, please view our Product Disclosure Statement and Policy

Quote 3: $1,295.32 Monthly: $107.94
New Car Guarantee

Second my Mum. 54 years old driving since 19 some accidents 1 theft of car etc, One car write off on finace in 89.
3 quotes for my mum.

$1,353.74 Monthly: $112.81
Age Excess:
Drivers under 19 $750
New Car Guarantee

$1,218.36 Monthly: $101.53
New Car Guarantee

$1,150.68 Monthly: $95.89
New Car Guarantee

????

nota
04-04-2006, 04:22 PM
2. You're not wrong - a V8 is going to be mega bucks. My insurer is CGU - they have pretty good premiums, and I have the full 60% no claims bonus. Unfortunately, I live in Sydney, so that means even a base near new Falcon or Corolla costs at least $800 a year. I'm considering purchasing either a BA XR6 or a Mazda6 later this year - yes it will be financed - and it will be insured fully. Even though the main performance changes of an XR6 over a BA XT are the 17 inch alloys, low profile tyres and sports suspension, it is still $550 a year more expensive to insure than an XT at about $1400. The Mazda6, being an import, is just under $1000 a year. A good old XT (and probably a VY Exec, haven't checked) is about $850 a year. And a V8? Best I could do, for either a VY SS or a BA XR8 was just under $2000. And although I have a garage, its a bit of a bitch of a driveway here, so my car tends to live outside. Hence, theft is a worry. Whatever the cost, I'll pay the insurance.
From what I see of insurance rates, its not that V8s are expensive per se, but the type of V8 chosen. Any V8 with 'sporting connotations' is going to be hit hard, while more discrete units seem to slip under the radar. Its like the old story: Falcon GT 351 owners paid top dollar, while those in Fairmont GS 351 avoided the hit .. yet still enjoyed 90% of the speed

For example after upgrading from a '00 Holden Astra CD, a friend found that their '03 XT V8 (pictured, ex-cop, 16"s, sport suspension) worth $21k is in fact cheaper to insure than their previous 4cyl! This is with max no-claim applying to either car. Similarly, older 'low profile' V8s like my Benz seem to have markedly low rates, as compared to similar-era local V8s (eg V8 Calais). So a prudent buyer can avoid being slugged - just be selective or swallow your ego a bit

Slick's insurance quotes for the VP V6 are quite illuminating - amazingly pricey (even for Mum) as against what I pay. I'm not even on a full no-claim bonus yet!

Blue Supra
04-04-2006, 08:50 PM

theyre worried about my putting it sideways into a tree... its not as frequent as it may seem. i know no import drivers who have crashed doing something silly. only 1 whos run up the back of someone at normal speed whilst not paying full attention :o

3.5k was the CHEAPEST of the cheap, and that was for a standard car with an 18yo driver with 1 accident in his history. NRMA and AAMI flat turned my down but said it would be around 7000 dollars a year if they accepted :eek: so i had to go to Just Cars. i shudder to think what it would be now with all the mods ive done to the car.

even with my $500 thirf party my excess is $1400. base is $600, i get charged $400 because im male, $400 because im under 24. so if my gf crashes its only 1000 bucks but its 1400 for me :mad: i hate insurance companies.

2ndclasscitizen
04-04-2006, 09:02 PM
damn thats good....ive been thinkin of going for my bike license for ages.

theres like a whole load of driving courses they want you to do first though right?
oh yeah, in ACT you have to do the Stay Upright course to even get your L-licence and then another one to get your P's. The company who does it also does this special thing where you pay for one of the instructors to follow you round on your first ride on the road

nota
04-04-2006, 09:43 PM
oh yeah, in ACT you have to do the Stay Upright course to even get your L-licence and then another one to get your P's. The company who does it also does this special thing where you pay for one of the instructors to follow you round on your first ride on the road
Things have changes since I went for my ACT Learners certificate in 1978-79?. All that was required in those days was a brief theory test, then navigate @ 10km/h a slalom of witches hats, arranged in a line within the Dickson motor-registry carpark!

I managed this successfully on my Ducati 900GTS, with 'open' Conti mufflers & all :D Btw the tester said I was a doomed individual ..

SlickHolden
04-04-2006, 11:22 PM
From what I see of insurance rates, its not that V8s are expensive per se, but the type of V8 chosen. Any V8 with 'sporting connotations' is going to be hit hard, while more discrete units seem to slip under the radar. Its like the old story: Falcon GT 351 owners paid top dollar, while those in Fairmont GS 351 avoided the hit .. yet still enjoyed 90% of the speed

For example after upgrading from a '00 Holden Astra CD, a friend found that their '03 XT V8 (pictured, ex-cop, 16"s, sport suspension) worth $21k is in fact cheaper to insure than their previous 4cyl! This is with max no-claim applying to either car. Similarly, older 'low profile' V8s like my Benz seem to have markedly low rates, as compared to similar-era local V8s (eg V8 Calais). So a prudent buyer can avoid being slugged - just be selective or swallow your ego a bit

Slick's insurance quotes for the VP V6 are quite illuminating - amazingly pricey (even for Mum) as against what I pay. I'm not even on a full no-claim bonus yet!
Very pricey, Thirst party is $300 per year:).
I got a very clean record to, Only 1 speeding fine in the last 11 years, But what makes that even better it was my car but i wasn't driving:( Thats a long story:D

motorsportnerd
04-09-2006, 08:17 PM
Those quotes were interesting. Maybe living in Sydney is cheaper than I thought....

SlickHolden
04-09-2006, 11:42 PM
I spoke to ammi today and they wont give me comprehensive insurance without seeing the car, So it's third party @ $55 p/m. It's a joke I'm covered for $3100 my tranny cost me $1100 on it's own.

nota
04-10-2006, 12:36 AM
I spoke to ammi today and they wont give me comprehensive insurance without seeing the car, So it's third party @ $55 p/m. It's a joke I'm covered for $3100 my tranny cost me $1100 on it's own.
I've found AAMI are competitive for late model cars but disinterested with older cars, while NSW's NRMA (our RACV) are willing insure anything - ie insurer of last resort - but with lousy conditions attached. Have you tried Shannons btw?

Slick, comparing your bomb insurance quote @ $55 p/m - thats almost double my wife's $380 for comprehensive & $7k agreed-value! She's only been in the country 4 years, yet had three 'crash 'n claim' episodes so far:eek: (plus another one I copped on my insurance)

I tried the CGU site for an online quote to compare, but no access. Imo it'd be an intruiging exercise for you to try typing in different (imaginary) addreses & vehicles, to see if their quotes are similarly poxy over the whole spectrum

Eg maybe try using later Mitsu Magna, Camry or '84 M-B 380SE .. Hawthorn or Narbethong. Or any alternatives that comes to mind - you get my drift

Does CGU discriminate against football, meat pies - and especially the mighty Bulldogs and Holden cars?

SlickHolden
04-10-2006, 01:13 AM
I think so so far:D Maybe i'm in a bad area:p, But a car hasnt been stolen around here for 4 years, And back then it was almost 1 per week and they were shitty little kids to.

1992 Ford EB Falcon 6.
Dandenong. 29 year old driver.

$1,436.92 Monthly: $119.74
Age Excess:
Drivers under 19 $750
New Car Guarantee

1992 Mitsubsihi Magna, 4cyl.
Hawthorn. 29 year old driver.

$1,255.84 Monthly: $104.65
Age Excess:
Drivers under 19 $750
New Car Guarantee

2000 Toyota Camry. V6.
MOONEE PONDS. 39 year old driver.

$2,084.56 Monthly: $173.71
Age Excess:
Drivers under 19 $750
New Car Guarantee
:eek:

alston66
04-17-2006, 07:35 PM
You better check this article about car insurance.. (www.ultimatecarpage.com)

motorsportnerd
04-17-2006, 08:36 PM
Slick,
Try excluding under 25 year olds from driving the cars. That's probably the reason the quotes are so high. Also, try quotes with just a named driver (ie: you) and no other quotes.
Most of the quotes I've tried are under $1,000. For example, I could insure a brand new Ford Focus Zetec for $957 a year in the middle of Sydney. That excludes anyone under 25 and is name driver only (ie: me). See if that helps.

SlickHolden
04-17-2006, 10:49 PM
I gave RACV insurance a shot.

Market value comprehensive.

Annual Amount
Monthly Instalment
$677.80
$63.67

Monthly instalments will total $764.04 over 12 months, which is $86.28 more than the annual payment option. The instalment amount may vary slightly each month. All amounts displayed include GST and Stamp Duty/Tax. Excesses may apply.**

Vehicle 1992 Holden Commodore Executive Sedan 3.8 Litres

Market Value
Discounts

Optional Cover Based on the information you have provided, your Rating would be 1L
You may be entitled to RACV Premier 1 -
Rating 1 for Life when you apply for
insurance

Hire car - No
Windscreen option - No
No Claim Discount protection - Free

Agreed Value. @ $3,500

Annual Amount
Monthly Instalment
$839.82
$77.85

Monthly instalments will total $934.20 over 12 months, which is $94.40 more than the annual payment option. The instalment amount may vary slightly each month. All amounts displayed include GST and Stamp Duty/Tax. Excesses may apply.**

Vehicle 1992 Holden Commodore Executive Sedan 3.8 Litres

Agreed Value $3,500
Discounts

Optional Cover Based on the information you have provided, your Rating would be 1L
You may be entitled to RACV Premier 1 -
Rating 1 for Life when you apply for
insurance

Hire car - Yes
Windscreen option - No
No Claim Discount protection - Free

I have spotted some cheaper cars my mum turns her eyes up when i mention it:D

http://www.carsales.com.au/pls/carsales/!cs_content.private_vehicle?vehicle_id=2899985&current_rec=83&used_rec=144&total_rec=274&sort_type=2&total_rec=274&sort_type=2&make_id=10&keyword=VS&state_id=7&search_distance=25"]Vs Berlina. (http://www.carsales.com.au/pls/carsales/!cs_content.private_vehicle?vehicle_id=2899985&current_rec=83&used_rec=144&total_rec=274&sort_type=2&total_rec=274&sort_type=2&make_id=10&keyword=VS&state_id=7&search_distance=25)

http://www.carsales.com.au/pls/carsales/!cs_content.dealer_vehicle?vehicle_id=2981807&current_rec=3&total_rec=37&sort_type=3&keyword=VT%20BERLINA&search_distance=25&region_id=108"] VT berlina (http://www.carsales.com.au/pls/carsales/!cs_content.dealer_vehicle?vehicle_id=2981807&current_rec=3&total_rec=37&sort_type=3&keyword=VT%20BERLINA&search_distance=25&region_id=108)

http://www.carsales.com.au/pls/carsales/!cs_content.dealer_vehicle?vehicle_id=3006180&current_rec=4&total_rec=37&sort_type=3&keyword=VT%20BERLINA&search_distance=25&region_id=108"]VT Berlina (http://www.carsales.com.au/pls/carsales/!cs_content.dealer_vehicle?vehicle_id=3006180&current_rec=4&total_rec=37&sort_type=3&keyword=VT%20BERLINA&search_distance=25&region_id=108)

I like the last one best the Silver VT Berlina, I can see myself doing some nice things to that:). The first VS Berlina looks hot but i feel it's just not me. And it's it's K's are a little high.

2ndclasscitizen
04-18-2006, 12:28 AM
My dad used to have a VT2 Berlina, it was a nice car. Once you've had climate control, you'll never go back

motorsportnerd
04-18-2006, 04:49 AM
Slick, I reran the Ford Focus Zetec quote at CGU using Hawthorn, Victoria, without changing any of my other details. The quote was less than for Sydney - $857 per year.
Do you have a full 60% no claims bonus? I assume so, since you're rating 1 with the RACV.
Anyway, shows how weird the quotes are. I'll stick to CGU as long as it gives me quotes under $1000 for brand new or near new cars.

motorsportnerd
04-18-2006, 04:56 AM
A couple more Commodores for you:
http://search.carsguide.news.com.au/news/find-a-car/power-search/search-results/car-details.do?make=HOLDEN&model=COMMODORE&make2=&model2=&make3=&model3=&keyword=&priceFrom=5000&priceTo=15000&body=&transmission=&lifeStyle=&yearFrom=&yearTo=&location=VIC&postcode=&radius=&stockNumber=&sortFields=X&asc=true&pageNumber=2&pageSize=&searchType=4&dealerId=&featureAd=false&vehicleId=NIMG79077%3AQYY808&vehicleType=1
http://search.carsguide.news.com.au/news/find-a-car/power-search/search-results/car-details.do?make=HOLDEN&model=COMMODORE&make2=&model2=&make3=&model3=&keyword=&priceFrom=5000&priceTo=15000&body=&transmission=&lifeStyle=&yearFrom=&yearTo=&location=VIC&postcode=&radius=&stockNumber=&sortFields=X&asc=true&pageNumber=2&pageSize=&searchType=4&dealerId=&featureAd=false&vehicleId=NIMG79077%3ATXJ089&vehicleType=1
http://search.carsguide.news.com.au/news/find-a-car/power-search/search-results/car-details.do?make=HOLDEN&model=COMMODORE&make2=&model2=&make3=&model3=&keyword=&priceFrom=5000&priceTo=15000&body=&transmission=&lifeStyle=&yearFrom=&yearTo=&location=VIC&postcode=&radius=&stockNumber=&sortFields=X&asc=true&pageNumber=9&pageSize=&searchType=4&dealerId=&featureAd=false&vehicleId=69781&vehicleType=3

Seems cheapish Commodores are easy enough to find. Look for a good one and remember to post the pics if you get it.

SlickHolden
04-18-2006, 06:59 AM
My dad used to have a VT2 Berlina, it was a nice car. Once you've had climate control, you'll never go back
Yes thats what my brother said to, Once he got the EF Ghia, his mate told him years ago you will not ever drive a car again without power windows cruise climate trip computer. He was right he wanted a XR6 but got a Fairmont:D.

Slick, I reran the Ford Focus Zetec quote at CGU using Hawthorn, Victoria, without changing any of my other details. The quote was less than for Sydney - $857 per year.
Do you have a full 60% no claims bonus? I assume so, since you're rating 1 with the RACV.
Anyway, shows how weird the quotes are. I'll stick to CGU as long as it gives me quotes under $1000 for brand new or near new cars.
I'm not sure on the ratting how that happen, Even though i haven't been in a accident since i have been driving i dont know how i got that rating 1. I think i might need to call them and speak to them over the phone.:)

A couple more Commodores for you:
http://search.carsguide.news.com.au/news/find-a-car/power-search/search-results/car-details.do?make=HOLDEN&model=COMMODORE&make2=&model2=&make3=&model3=&keyword=&priceFrom=5000&priceTo=15000&body=&transmission=&lifeStyle=&yearFrom=&yearTo=&location=VIC&postcode=&radius=&stockNumber=&sortFields=X&asc=true&pageNumber=2&pageSize=&searchType=4&dealerId=&featureAd=false&vehicleId=NIMG79077%3AQYY808&vehicleType=1
http://search.carsguide.news.com.au/news/find-a-car/power-search/search-results/car-details.do?make=HOLDEN&model=COMMODORE&make2=&model2=&make3=&model3=&keyword=&priceFrom=5000&priceTo=15000&body=&transmission=&lifeStyle=&yearFrom=&yearTo=&location=VIC&postcode=&radius=&stockNumber=&sortFields=X&asc=true&pageNumber=2&pageSize=&searchType=4&dealerId=&featureAd=false&vehicleId=NIMG79077%3ATXJ089&vehicleType=1
http://search.carsguide.news.com.au/news/find-a-car/power-search/search-results/car-details.do?make=HOLDEN&model=COMMODORE&make2=&model2=&make3=&model3=&keyword=&priceFrom=5000&priceTo=15000&body=&transmission=&lifeStyle=&yearFrom=&yearTo=&location=VIC&postcode=&radius=&stockNumber=&sortFields=X&asc=true&pageNumber=9&pageSize=&searchType=4&dealerId=&featureAd=false&vehicleId=69781&vehicleType=3

Seems cheapish Commodores are easy enough to find. Look for a good one and remember to post the pics if you get it.
First one is very cheap, And from that pic i know where that place is straight away to, My brother got his BA from them they are new car concepts, I like that colour to and i hate anything thats red ish:) but since the VP I'm liking it more now. Cheap and looks clean with very low KM for it's age:)
I love the VT Commodore S:).
And the last is so cheap for a VT, And it's probably past me:p It's not far from me:) But maybe to high in the k's maybe. But with the way we drive we wouldn't pass 10,000k's per year.

I got this plan like when i got the VP, I told my mum we can use the car as trade and i might have $2000 but thats not till June. Walk in and say i want say the VT S. Tell them i want $3000 trade, here is $2000 cash. Give me $5000 on finance and see how far i get:) It's a very big stretch but if they want to sell they will do anything

nota
04-18-2006, 03:52 PM
I'm not such a fan of climate control, at least not the system on my car. For example if you have the sunroof open and want just a trickle of warmth to feet but not mega-hot air, you can't get that because

(a) the c/c automatically defeats into max-heat mode if roof or window is opened
(b) no over-ride possible
(c) fan cannot be switched off

Even the lowest fan speed on max-heat is way too hot for thongs, my feet roast. It's the same story if you want a bit of A/C and also want an open window/roof - it always defeats into the maximum/minimum temp :mad:

A real collectors piece for Holden fans with under 60k miles, a Brock HDT Magnum. Not cheap but super-rare - especially in this condition
http://www.canberracarfair.com.au/CCF/LotBrowse/LotListing.asp?CarID=4949

Recently saw identical to this (same colour) but with 172k kms and in A1 nick for $8500. These things are super-quality and barely worn at those mileage levels. A lot of car for the money and imho they are light years above similar-price Holden/Falcon
http://www.drive.com.au/used_cars/lexus/ls400/sydney/detail.aspx?id=2664026&pg=1&pp=0&d=0&nv=1

SlickHolden
04-18-2006, 11:31 PM
Your C/C sounds confused, I cant believe you cant override it and go manual.

Only $9200 it's worth it for the Brock name:).

That Lexus is a pretty big car, And with V8 it gets very low fuel on the highways to 7.6l.

nota
04-19-2006, 12:47 AM
Your C/C sounds confused, I cant believe you cant override it and go manual.
From my Owners Manual (in heavily acccented German)
"Only when windows and sliding roof are closed is proper function of the automatic climate control ensured" :rolleyes:

Dunno if other maker's c/c systems are similar (?) but with mine its auto-c/c or nothing - even if heater-only and a/c not on. A more basic system sure would give greater flexibility

Only $9200 it's worth it for the Brock name:).
HDT's Magnum had great reviews (IIRC 110km/h in 1st & 180 in 2nd?) and in its day was reputed as about the best handling car of its size, worldwide. Very rare in Caprice II trim

Here's a Statesman version with more kays for $18k:eek:
http://www.australianmusclecarsales.com.au/muscle/71713

That Lexus is a pretty big car, And with V8 it gets very low fuel on the highways to 7.6l.
I'd doubt its any larger than a VT. The V8 quadcam is only 200cc bigger than a Holden V6, quite easy on juice but goes well. LS400 were worth over $100,000 when new IIRC, but now 'forgotten' so amazingly affordable for a full-on luxury sedan. Nakamuchi CD, woodwork hand-finished by piano-maker Yamaha - all the fruit :D

Twice I've come close to buying an early Lexus, am very impressed by the value. Take my tip - if you're looking at used Commodores maybe its worth at least checking one out, just to compare what you pay vs what you get?

Btw for $10 you'd also get a decent S-Class Benz V8 coupe

SlickHolden
04-19-2006, 06:25 AM
Oh no benzs are not the thing for me, I'm a bogan:p I only drive bogan Aussie cars:p.
Besides if i had a Benz people might think I'm stuck up rich, And I'm not rich thats rude lol :D

Cyco
04-30-2006, 10:20 PM
I thought I'd revive this with some insurance quotes I have recieved in the last week

All are for a garaged, kepet at home during the day '93 Saab 900 turbo, only driven by a 29yo male, postcode 2576

All are for full comprehensive with only the nominated driver and a valuation of $4000

Company A: $1163 ($10 off for online processing)
Company N: $604
Company Q: $753

IBrake4Rainbows
04-30-2006, 10:29 PM
As a little bit of a joke, I tested how much insurance would be for an 18 Y/O Male, Solo Driver, 1989 Saab 900 EMS (What I was looking at as a first car).
Valued at $2680.

Postcode 2905.
Company N - $569
Company A - $399.

It's almost enough to make me buy one considering how cheap it was (I thought it would be HEAPS expensive)

SlickHolden
04-30-2006, 10:57 PM
It must be my area then:( discrimination:p

Both N's: look good:D

A looks best:D

SlickHolden
04-30-2006, 11:24 PM
I'm going to give ANZ insurance a buzz now and see what they can offer me:D

SlickHolden
05-01-2006, 01:06 AM
I spoke to ANZ insurance i get a 10% discount for being a ANZ customer.

But full comprehensive on my car @ Agreed value $4500 is $105 per month.
Market value for my car is between $4000 and $5000 :eek: thats a shock more then i expected.

And now here is the worst news.
My Cousin has a 97 Falcon Ute 6.
He is under 21 it's his first car.
He paid first year $900.
Second year down to $399 he now has a rating 4. Something is wrong:(

SlickHolden
05-01-2006, 01:40 AM
Insurance Quote. Both from same company.
Same car same driver Same parking arrangement. Only difference is Location.

First location.
Brunswick West.
Full comprehensive insurance.
Cost per year..... $626 Lump sum.

Second location.
Sunshine north.
Cost per year......$849 Lump sum.

Third location.
Pascoe vale.
Cost per year......$781 Lump sum.

Fourth location.
Collingwood.
Full dar dar.
Cost per year.....$921 Lump sum.

Fith location.
Campelfield.
Full dar dar.
Cost per year....$666 Lump sum.

nota
05-01-2006, 02:06 PM
As a little bit of a joke, I tested how much insurance would be for an 18 Y/O Male, Solo Driver, 1989 Saab 900 EMS (What I was looking at as a first car).
Valued at $2680.

Postcode 2905.
Company N - $569
Company A - $399.

It's almost enough to make me buy one considering how cheap it was (I thought it would be HEAPS expensive)
Road tests of the EMS were quite favourable when new. However I'm told that on early Saabs some aspects of their maintainance/repair is not so easy, or cheap

A local friend wrote this to me yesterday:

"Hi Again I have just bought a saab. Its a long wheelbase 900cd One owner, full leather interior all the stuff inside (power everything heated seats etc) rego till nov For the grand total of $100."

Cyco
05-01-2006, 02:38 PM
The maintenence isn't too bad if you have some mechanical ability and can do the basics yourself on the Saabs.

They respond very well to frequent oil/coolant/fluid changes, but they do have some noted failings.

There is a pin in the gear stick that works itsself loose and makes it hard to get reverse - 10 min fix to replace the pin, or 15 mins if ur like me and replace it with a bolt so never any future issues. This is 1 of several I've come accross, I'll let you know some more if you want to inspect it.

IBrake4Rainbows
05-01-2006, 10:45 PM
This is of course all speculation - I don't yet own a Saab (it's a work in progress.....:p)

I hope to one day own either an E30 or a 900 Coupe. I like the Audi 80 also but Mother has decreed the Audi is a no. only because she'd want to drive it all the time :p

This is a women who has an E36 328i at her disposal :p