PDA

View Full Version : New cars are boring and too huge

Egg Nog
04-09-2006, 07:40 PM
So I went to the Auto Show today - they had a couple Elises there which totally stood out and got everyone's attention, even next to all the M6s, M5s, Lamborghinis, etc. Also, it seems that all new cars (even 'compact cars') are now massive. Makes me angry. I used to go to the Auto Show and spend 2 or 3 hours, but I could only stand to be there 45 minutes today. 90% of new cars look totally bland, and 9% of the remaining 10% are designed by people with a terrible concept of "daring styling". The current auto industry is in a very boring place.

Rant over :)

sleekeywoowoo
04-09-2006, 07:47 PM
Hey, I second that. You got sleek's approval.

250 GTO
04-09-2006, 08:01 PM
Yes,when I went to the auto show I wasn't very impressed.Some cars like the Elise, DB9 and the Cayman were amazing,but most of the cars were ugly or too huge.

zeppelin
04-09-2006, 08:24 PM
I too concur, while there are some standout models they bulk are hideously overdesigned, bloated, or ridiculously bland. Acura is one of the few volume manufacturers whose styling is good across the line. And of course Porsche, except the Cayenne travesty... but it doesn't count in my eyes.

ScionDriver
04-09-2006, 08:43 PM
Everything is very bland these days, seems like there isn't too much originality, Ferrari's all look the same, Porsches all look the same, there is no new-looking car and you are right they are much bigger. A lot of cars look bulky and overweight, nothing looks very seek or cool.

IBrake4Rainbows
04-09-2006, 08:53 PM
The major issue is safety and kit - people want room, safety and stuff, and that can't be fitted into a small car.

I highly doubt people will be willing to give up their electric seat adjustment just to save .4MpG or shirnk the car by .2 Cubic Centimetres.

Egg Nog
04-09-2006, 09:20 PM
The major issue is safety and kit - people want room, safety and stuff, and that can't be fitted into a small car.

I highly doubt people will be willing to give up their electric seat adjustment just to save .4MpG or shirnk the car by .2 Cubic Centimetres.

I basically hate all of these reasons, although I know you're right, and I don't see things changing soon either. The Mk7 VW Golf is going to be the size of a van.

When I first saw pictures of the new Shelby Cobra concept I thought it looked awesome - and it did. I saw it today and was totally turned off - it was MASSIVE! I thought it would be the same size as the old one!

Radoman
04-09-2006, 09:39 PM
Yeah buds I hear you; companies load their cars up with so much shit, and there's a lot of tasteless fools that think bigger is better.

DiabloVT
04-09-2006, 09:59 PM
consumer demand fellas. big cars give the illusion of safety, so everyone buys them:(

Egg Nog
04-09-2006, 10:12 PM
consumer demand fellas. big cars give the illusion of safety, so everyone buys them:(

Sucks doesn't it? This must be why I like older cars. There's too much safety hysteria. Cars that I drive are safe because I'm driving them, not because they're twice as big as they need to be.

Zytek_Fan
04-09-2006, 10:17 PM
I hate the new Hummers, in fact I hate all Hummers

IBrake4Rainbows
04-09-2006, 10:39 PM
Heres the thing - people believe that even if they are a crap driver, being in the bigger vehicle in an accident will protect them. Hence most people nowadays are lured into a false sense of security, thinking they'll be protected by the vehicle's smarts or, failing that, inertia.

It's indicative of a world where looking after yourself has become paramount.

clutch-monkey
04-09-2006, 10:58 PM
i want the small cars back :( i've also noticed that even quite small cars today weigh quite a lot:(

d-quik
04-09-2006, 11:47 PM
http://content.collegehumor.com/items/2005/05/collegehumor.154795.451xAUTO.jpg

drakkie
04-10-2006, 12:15 AM
Heres the thing - people believe that even if they are a crap driver, being in the bigger vehicle in an accident will protect them. Hence most people nowadays are lured into a false sense of security, thinking they'll be protected by the vehicle's smarts or, failing that, inertia.

It's indicative of a world where looking after yourself has become paramount.

Kinda ironic that bigger cars are more unsafe for their passengers and others, isnt it :D

IBrake4Rainbows
04-10-2006, 12:17 AM
It's certain bigger cars.

I'd prefer to be in a Large european 4WD for instance than an American one.

Add to that this generations penchant for 'size matters' and you end up with what we have today.

henk4
04-10-2006, 12:37 AM
can we merge this thread with the Miura POTD thread from last week?

Egg Nog
04-10-2006, 12:54 AM
can we merge this thread with the Miura POTD thread from last week?

Oh man, the Miura too? :(

I was happy to see the new GT at the Ford booth but the new Cobra concept was massive. Not even close to the original.

Here's my prediction for the "retro" BMW Isetta revival... ;)

adamfraser
04-10-2006, 01:38 AM
Yeah, seems all new cars have to be bigger than the old ones, Ford GT and the muira spring to mind.

Welcome back Shawn!

Vaigra
04-10-2006, 01:59 AM
You're right, these new cars are getting too big. Even the so called supermini's are the size of the older saloon/sedans. The Miura is much bigger than the original. Thankfully the GT isn't too big compared to the GT40. I'd like to see the new Cobra alongside the old one. The old one was beautiful, but I guess the size increase was "neccessary" for this day and age.
Thankfully the Camaro didn't increase too much in size, but it's definately not as good looking as the late 60's version.
The Isetta revival says it all really ;)
BTW Welcome back Shawn, when are you going to fill us in on your expidition? :p

Egg Nog
04-10-2006, 02:07 AM
BTW Welcome back Shawn, when are you going to fill us in on your expidition?
Welcome back Shawn!

Thanks guys - I'll post about it in a few days once I've get all the pictures from my better half :)

Matra et Alpine
04-10-2006, 03:28 AM
Sounds like everyone needs to get along to the nearest kit car show asap :D

clutch-monkey
04-10-2006, 03:30 AM
Sounds like everyone needs to get along to the nearest kit car show asap :D
luckily for me i live close to a GT40/Cobra replica factory :D

:Exige:
04-10-2006, 03:50 AM
And lucky for me I live within walking distance of Hawk Cars who make Lancia Stratos and AC Cobra replicas, and a short drive from Lynx, who make Jaguar C-Type and D-Type reps and modifications for E-types *droolage* Kit car shows are indeed the shizzle for my craving nizzle.

I think a major contributer to the blandness in design of cars nowadays is the 'need' for car companies to have a 'family face' where all of their cars can be instantly recognised as a product from a single company. This is especially apparent with Aston Martin. I haven't really bought into it all however; I haven't gone completley against it either.

Matra et Alpine
04-10-2006, 04:09 AM
all of their cars can be instantly recognised as a product from a single company. This is especially apparent with Aston Martin.
yeah but think of the alternative.
The last time Aston did something "different" it was the Lagonda wedge thingie ---- looking the same has BIG advantages if that's the alternative :D

Gardin
04-10-2006, 04:59 AM
I agree that the new cars are too big and not least way too heavy, but the majority of the buyers want all that safety and comfort. I don't, so I guess I will spend the rest of my motoring life in my old FIAT's.

:Exige:
04-10-2006, 05:00 AM
yeah but think of the alternative.
The last time Aston did something "different" it was the Lagonda wedge thingie ---- looking the same has BIG advantages if that's the alternative :D
Point taken :D Of course, that only really applies if the first model they create with a family face is good looking (Bangle-era BMWs anyone?) :)

h00t_h00t
04-10-2006, 04:40 PM
You have to realise that people who want a small sports cars are in the minority, and catering for minoritys isn't a great idea with cars like the Golf or 3-series. I'd take a new golf over a Mk1.

Matra et Alpine
04-10-2006, 04:49 PM
You have to realise that people who want a small sports cars are in the minority, and catering for minoritys isn't a great idea with cars like the Golf or 3-series. I'd take a new golf over a Mk1.
Seriously ?
Yeah my "family head" would say getting a new Golf was the right move, but my heart would ALWAYS chose the original GTi :D Less lardy :D

Esperante
04-10-2006, 08:08 PM
I too concur, while there are some standout models they bulk are hideously overdesigned, bloated, or ridiculously bland. Acura is one of the few volume manufacturers whose styling is good across the line. And of course Porsche, except the Cayenne travesty... but it doesn't count in my eyes.
I disagree. Personally, the TSX looks fantastic, but the TL just looks like the TSX ate some Big Macs...

VtecMini
04-11-2006, 04:57 AM
Sounds like everyone needs to get along to the nearest kit car show asap :DYeah, either that or everyone just need to emigrate over here!

This thread seemed seemed like it was calling me to go off on one about the size of the BMW mini, but I shan't... I... Grrrr.... Arrrghhh! No. No ranting. Not today.

spi-ti-tout
04-11-2006, 05:14 AM
The thing is that if today's manufacturers stopped making such big cars everybody would rant and complain and then the whole car world would start again. This would mean a huge decrease of sales at first then a boom afterwards. But manufacturers are trying to make continous booms without the decrease. Either that, or people would stop buying cars and then less emissions and etc etc etc and finally we're all healthy green people.

Shame it's not going to happen :(

Chinky_boi
04-11-2006, 07:47 AM
I wanted to go to the BCIAS. But had to much work to do. Maybe next year.

Egg Nog
04-11-2006, 08:15 PM
Seriously ?
Yeah my "family head" would say getting a new Golf was the right move, but my heart would ALWAYS chose the original GTi :D Less lardy :D

Amen. :D

h00t_h00t
04-12-2006, 04:33 PM
Seriously ?
There was one of those at work today. I think the love of the origional is a case of rose tinted glasses, taking the mk1s available today over the mk5s is stupid, unless you want to put then 10k you saved into restoring one?

Matra et Alpine
04-12-2006, 04:57 PM
There was one of those at work today. I think the love of the origional is a case of rose tinted glasses, taking the mk1s available today over the mk5s is stupid, unless you want to put then 10k you saved into restoring one?
A Mk1 GTi is a regular at Knockhill.

I assure you, you would take the original (even tho this example is bright orange) over the lard-one every time :D

Coventrysucks
04-12-2006, 05:20 PM
I suppose that largely depends on your priorities really.

By all accounts the MkV GTI is a fine car to drive, maybe not as great as the MkI, however the fact that you've got a modern, well built car that is comfortable, has lots of room, has all mod-cons, is significantly safer, etc, etc, more than makes up for the loss of any dynamic performance for many people.

GTI mkI vs Lupo GTI is a more realistic comparison, anyway.

Fleet 500
04-12-2006, 11:21 PM
So I went to the Auto Show today - they had a couple Elises there which totally stood out and got everyone's attention, even next to all the M6s, M5s, Lamborghinis, etc. Also, it seems that all new cars (even 'compact cars') are now massive. Makes me angry. I used to go to the Auto Show and spend 2 or 3 hours, but I could only stand to be there 45 minutes today. 90% of new cars look totally bland, and 9% of the remaining 10% are designed by people with a terrible concept of "daring styling". The current auto industry is in a very boring place.

Rant over :)
The bloated look makes them look bigger than they are.
Going by actual measurements, most of today's "mid-sized" cars would be classified as "compact" car in the '60s and '70s. And most of today's "full-sized" cars would be called "mid-sized in the '60s and '70s.

woodstock827
04-13-2006, 10:33 AM
because big cars have higher profit margins....
the bigger they make the cars, the more they can charge u for it because theylr "more safe"
the profit margins are really low on cars like Yaris or Fit.

on top of that.. most people tend to not like the idea of a small car with a high price like the Elise... manufacturers can probably make a smaller car just as safe as larger cars, but that's gonna cost more to make and no one's gonna buy them due to higher price...

spi-ti-tout
04-13-2006, 12:33 PM
The bloated look makes them look bigger than they are.
Going by actual measurements, most of today's "mid-sized" cars would be classified as "compact" car in the '60s and '70s. And most of today's "full-sized" cars would be called "mid-sized in the '60s and '70s.
Thank god not everybody lives in America.