PDA

View Full Version : Where do you get your kits?

LTT
04-14-2006, 07:50 PM
Ok, I have on website I use frequently because its is Canadian (as am I), and geographically their warehouse if very close to me, so i save on shipping. However they seem to be focusing much more on RC related stuff instead of plastic models (in particular cars).

With summer break coming up I plan on getting back to building, but I was wondering if any of you guys knew some websites I'd be able to use for ordering. I'm mainly interested in doing street cars (I've done a Modena, Skyline, and Enzo since I've gotten more serious about kits), although I do have a Tamyia CLK-GTR laying around waiting to be built.

Any suggestions would be great guys :D

henk4
04-15-2006, 12:41 AM
www.hlj.com
(Hobbylink Japan), gets you all the Japanese stuff much cheaper.

Vaigra
04-15-2006, 04:15 AM
www.hlj.com (http://www.hlj.com)
(Hobbylink Japan), gets you all the Japanese stuff much cheaper.The 1/12 Tamiya F50 looks good at £46, but then there's the £40 P&P...Still saving quite a bit but I'm not a huge fan of the F50...I'll keep looking. Thanks for the site :)

LTT
04-15-2006, 05:11 AM
Thanks Henk, that website looks fairly promising, and shipping is something that I can swallow.

Other than the crappy $20 Walmart model kits I used to build when I was young, the only type I've worked with is Tamiya. I'm assuming Fujimi isn't too far off the mark?

Also, i'm thinking about cheap alternatives to display cases. Basically all I want is a little wooden base (which I could varnish myself for that matter) and a glass box to sit over top of the model. I suppose to be most economical (university student here :D) I'd be better off just buying some materials and fashioning something myself, no?

carsnut
04-15-2006, 01:16 PM
LTT- try www.1999.co.jp modelers say that place is slightly cheaper than hlj and they have pics of whats inside the box and the instructions. Wal-
Mart sells great cases(the ERTL ones) at a price cheaper than that of most other places and they're usually in perfect condition.

LTT
04-15-2006, 05:06 PM
Thanks, another good site. Although the actual price is a bit cheaper, it seems they have higher shipping costs. Still good to get a veiw of what the kit comes with though!

And thanks for the heads up on the case, I'll look into that.