PDA

View Full Version : So I made a huge mistake Thursday...

Quiggs
04-15-2006, 11:35 AM
(Ok, this is gonna get way long, so I'll do cliff notes at the end...)

So Thursday was really nice. It was about 80 degrees and sunny. My friend TJ is looking for a sport bike and wanted to go motorcycle shopping. We'd gone to one place the day before, and I'm not really a bike fan so I suggested we go look at some cars instead. He agreed. And off we were.

We drove back to our apartments and got changed. I looked up the nearest VW dealer I could find. See where this is going yet? So we hopped into der Uber Golf and took off. After a few minutes of being lost in Devon, PA, we found the place. I parked and we got out. And then I saw it.

"It" was a red '06 GTI Package 2 with the optional 18's and DSG. "It" was also a customer car. So we kept walking around the lot. Shortly we found probably 10 of them. Oh, they were beautiful... Red, white, black, and silver were all present. It didn't take long for a hawk- er, um... sales person... to approach us. I told him I was just looking at the GTIs and no intention of buying one today, or even in the near future. But he tempted me. He asked if I'd like to take one out. Yes, yes I would like to take one out.

So that guy introduced us to John, the dealer's GTI "expert." John was a nice guy. Especially as far as car salesmen go. He owns a 06 in United Gray with the DSG, and knew a lot about the car. He even had VWVortex up on his desktop when I came in.

I talked to him for a few minutes, explained that I was just looking, yada yada yada, and he grabbed the keys to a white Package 2 with DSG. I was a happy camper just looking at it. Now I was going to drive it. On the streets. Horray. We had to get gas as these cars were fresh off the truck. It had 12 miles on it. "Keep it under 5,000. Anything else is fair game." Awesome. So we got some gas. And then it was off.

Oh. My. God. I was skeptical going into it. I'd read all the reviews saying how it was so great, it handled, this and that. Whatever. Reviewers don't know anything. Especially at 3300+ pounds. But it was incredible. The 2.0T is such an incredibly torquey little motor. And the turbo lag is almost non-existant as long as you stay over 2000 rpm. Which isn't a problem for me. The DSG is smooth. It's really smooth. Even wide open 5500 rpm shifts were barely felt.

But I'm not a DSG kind of guy. There's something about banging out your own gear throws that gives you a sense of oneness with the car... So I asked if he had anything back on the lot that had a regular 6 speed. Of course he did. So next up was a red Package 1 with the optional 18's. Again, he needed a gas slip. So off he went into the dealer. My buddy TJ is now sitting in the driver's seat looking at the dash. He sees a row of buttons in front of the shifter, one of which is labeled "TCS OFF." He asked me what it meant. I told him to press it. Traction control is for the weak. So off we went again. This time with a proper transmission and no TCS. This was totally my style. I'll swallow my manly pride and admit I stalled it. Twice, in fact. But I picked it up pretty quick. And I really can't say enough about the 2.0T. It's a sweet little motor. Quiet at idle, loud enough at cruising and wide open, for a stock system anyway. And the diverter valve dump on shifts. Oi vey... I was hooked. And now with the TCS off, the car was even more excited when I opened it up. In fact, now it'd spin the tires going into 2nd gear. I could not wipe the smile off my face if I'd wanted to.

But alas, all good things must come to an end. We arrived back at the dealer. I got out. We discussed some of the car more. Like its standard Bi-Xenon headlights, the cool feature on the turn signal that will blink 3 times and go off for lane changes. The awesomely retro plaid seats. Even the possibilities of what may lie in the R36. He gave me his card. I told him I'd be back closer to the end of the year, maybe pick up a leave-over 06. Or if 07 has some new gadgets I may want one of those. It's now only a matter of "what color" instead of "do I want one?" or "what options do I want?"

It's a Package 1 with manual. Red or black? To be decided... I'm saving for a down payment, if anyone would like to make a donation.

I drove home really depressed about my Mk3. Maybe it's because I rolled backward into a pole and scratched my bumper. Maybe it's because the Golf is deathly slow compared to the 2.0T. Sigh...

Cliff Notes
-Drove new GTI
-DSG is fun for most people, not me
-Awesome features
-Doesn't feel like a 3300+ lb car
-Audi quality interior
-I want one...

The_Canuck
04-15-2006, 11:42 AM
Black for sure, so subtle.

Oh and you got sucked in by a salesman lol. i thought you were never susposed to buy right away.

Niko_Fx
04-15-2006, 11:48 AM
Did you talk about prices? How low was he willing to go?

I've seen a couple around lately, they look fantastic.

cmcpokey
04-15-2006, 11:50 AM
i'm still wondering what the mistake was... you drove not one, but 2 awesome cars, got your sights set on your next car, and had a good way to spend an afternoon. no problems anywhere.

IWantAnAudiRS6
04-15-2006, 11:51 AM
Nicely done :)

I'd go for black, to be honest. Very cool.

Quiggs
04-15-2006, 11:51 AM
I didn't get into details. I'm not even going to start looking to buy until the fall. I want to see if they offer anything new or special for 07, and if not I'll get a leave-over 06.

But a 06 optioned the way I want it is just under $24,000 and I could probably eek it out for $22,000.

Quiggs
04-15-2006, 11:53 AM
i'm still wondering what the mistake was... you drove not one, but 2 awesome cars, got your sights set on your next car, and had a good way to spend an afternoon. no problems anywhere.
The mistake was, I drove it, loved it, can't afford it, and it's burning me up inside. :( :)

IWantAnAudiRS6
04-15-2006, 11:59 AM
The mistake was, I drove it, loved it, can't afford it, and it's burning me up inside. :( :)
Happens to me with hugely expensive guitars, don't worry, give it a few days to burn off.

cmcpokey
04-15-2006, 12:01 PM
same thing happened to me and the mini. i drove it and had to suck it up for almost a year before i could afford it. but i realize how lucky i am to be able to have it.

ScionDriver
04-15-2006, 12:10 PM
I merely sat in one at the Chicago Auto Show and fell in love with it. I love the retro plaid interior, its classy, not cheesy. I like the red one with the black hood. Seems like its a great car, I'd like to drive one.

Rockefella
04-15-2006, 12:19 PM
Give me the date and the location. I'll get you the car in about 2 weeks, free of charge. You may have to visit me in your local prison though.

I bet it was the Vee-Dub commercials with the fast that sucked you in. ;) I saw one in black the other day and flashed the guy a thumbs up. He smiled and kept on 'rollin.

Quiggs
04-15-2006, 12:23 PM
Oh, I forgot to mention that whilst we were rolling the red one, I was at a light and an older guy in a white B5 Passat wagon was next to me. He asked if I liked it and said he was definitely considering giving the Passat to the wife and getting himself a GTI or GLI. I proceeded to give him a little show pulling away from the light. :)

Rock, I'd prefer to get it legally. Something about registering and insuring it... I think you need proof of ownership. Thanks for the offer though.

Rockefella
04-15-2006, 12:24 PM
Rock, I'd prefer to get it legally. Something about registering and insuring it... I think you need proof of ownership. Thanks for the offer though.
Just trying to help.

cmcpokey
04-15-2006, 12:26 PM
i could stand a works cooper S if youre offering there rock...

Rockefella
04-15-2006, 12:27 PM
i could stand a works cooper S if youre offering there rock...
That may be tough. John Cooper is a tough guy to please.

Niko_Fx
04-15-2006, 12:30 PM
Friend gave me a ride in his EVO IX a couple of days ago and now every single car that I was thinking of buying seems sloooowwww.... I want an EVO now :(

Yes, same feeling I believe... But at $30K and having a wife I'm a bit away from that dream!

Egg Nog
04-15-2006, 12:38 PM
Quiggs, wait 2 years and pay $8000 less for it.

d-quik
04-15-2006, 12:58 PM
quiggs you should try Stoicism

Quiggs
04-15-2006, 01:04 PM
quiggs you should try Stoicism
I had to look up what that meant... :( Stupid edu-macations...

sto·i·cism n.
1. Indifference to pleasure or pain; impassiveness.
2. Stoicism The doctrines or philosophy of the Stoics.

spi-ti-tout
04-15-2006, 01:18 PM
Friend gave me a ride in his EVO IX a couple of days ago and now every single car that I was thinking of buying seems sloooowwww.... I want an EVO now :(
Imagine how much a fanboy wants it :)

My cousin has a 971 BHP ex-cop Bora and sticks with his V-Dubs. Anyone near Long Island, consider yourself lucky.

carsnut
04-15-2006, 01:23 PM
black. if you can't afford it, sell things you don't need and wait if you can find a white one optioned the way you want it

kingofthering
04-15-2006, 02:07 PM
You can pick up a GTI without the DSG, save you some $

bmwpower
04-15-2006, 02:12 PM
Traction Control is for the weak.

HAHA soo gold..

I've seen a few on the road and they are absolutely gorgeous..keep dreaming man maybe it's sooner then you think..;)

Vaigra
04-15-2006, 02:48 PM
Rocke...still looking to get a car for someone?
Here's a few hints...
me...
RS4...
Blue...

;)

Rockefella
04-15-2006, 08:00 PM
Rocke...still looking to get a car for someone?
Here's a few hints...
me...
RS4...
Blue...

;)
This will soon turn into Gone in 60 Seconds. The Eleanor of our stint will be Quiggs GTI.

spi-ti-tout
04-16-2006, 03:14 AM
BoJ can supply cameras etc etc for very resonable prices....

IBrake4Rainbows
04-16-2006, 03:21 AM
BoJ can supply cameras etc etc for very resonable prices....

It's coming out of your budget, however. :p

While we're there....find me a 1988 Saab 900 Turbo. Black pref.;)

IWantAnAudiRS6
04-16-2006, 03:30 AM
Quiggs, wait 2 years and pay $8000 less for it.
+1, listen to this man.

shr0olvl
04-16-2006, 02:16 PM
My grandma told me I have to get a new car this summer and I'm considering getting a black gti... Look out folks.

Vaigra
04-16-2006, 02:26 PM
This will soon turn into Gone in 60 Seconds. The Eleanor of our stint will be Quiggs GTI.Might as well be. The RS4's called Lily :p

Spastik_Roach
04-16-2006, 05:27 PM
My grandma told me I have to get a new car this summer and I'm considering getting a black gti... Look out folks.

Or what? She'll kick you out or something?

shr0olvl
04-27-2006, 07:55 PM
Or what? She'll kick you out or something?

Nah, I was gonna gonna go look at a 3rd gen camaro and when I showed her the pics she thought it was the biggest pos ever and demanded that I get a new car.

So here I am looking for a new car...