PDA

View Full Version : Toca 3's a game I strongly dislike

6speed
04-21-2006, 08:25 AM
I bought it and I dislike it. I strongly dislike it. It's like the Driv3r of simulators. DISLIKE.

Just a warning, don't buy the game.

Edited because of very innapropriate language.
You should be happy I got to this thread before Matt did. You have been warned.

P3RG4R3C
04-21-2006, 09:09 AM
Haha, is it THAT bad? :p

drakkie
04-21-2006, 09:40 AM
I bought it and I dislike it. I strongly dislike it. It's like the Driv3r of simulators. DISLIKE.

Just a warning, don't buy the game.

explain to me !!! What is so bad ? the physics ? the effects, the gameplay ? what ?

Street_Dreamer
04-21-2006, 09:56 AM
i love the game. i think it's brilliant...?

Zytek_Fan
04-21-2006, 10:45 AM
Let Matra (Peter) explain about how bad TOCA 3 is.

Vaigra
04-21-2006, 10:49 AM
Let Matra (Peter) explain about how bad TOCA 3 is.If you wanted to use his name shouldn't "Matra" and "Peter" have been the other way round? ;)

derekthetree
04-21-2006, 11:13 AM
i also disagree.

it may not be the optimum in realism but its a bit of fun and has such a wide range of disciplines that you are bound to find one you like

if its so bad, name some driving games that you do like

Matra et Alpine
04-21-2006, 11:24 AM
as much "fun" as a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

I was totally disappointed ... one of the early TOCA strengtsh was the realistic force feedback. Now it's pants. ( Partly I think because sims like Richard Burns Rally and GTR upped the bar )

None of the disciplines are even close to realistic ( the writign was on teh wall with some of the TOCA2 ). They even seem to have gone backwardson some.

It takes no effort to progress.
I actually got SO bored with it and really trying to give it a chance wanting to try all the cars in the hope that one was realistic that I ended up only "playing" with it for 30 mins at a time, whcih was enough to WIN three championships each time.
That is not a racing simulation and isn't even racing.

And dont' get me started on the tracks. Of the ones I've personally driven on then they completely miss lots of the undulations and Paddock Bend is a JOKE. You can get cars round there at speeds that wouldn't have a chance in teh real world.

and the final stab for me is the pathetic A110s.
About the ONLY thing they got right is that if you're on dirt in a cirner and you stmpthe throttle it'll spin out. No finesse, no throttle-steering.

oh no I forgot .... the "rally" events :( crys.

Don't waste yoru money or time on it.
If variety is what you want then fine, but ... like women and wine .... quality is always better than quantity.

Give TOCA3 a miss. If you must then wait till it's in the bargain bin and at least then you dont' feel bad abotu not playing it after the first hour has gone past.

About the only good thing is the UK version has a SCOTTISH manager/race engineer :D Did ask in another thread if it's the same voice in other releases ?

Zytek_Fan
04-21-2006, 11:24 AM
If you wanted to use his name shouldn't "Matra" and "Peter" have been the other way round? ;)
LOL. yes. And to think that my research and writing lessons about using names went to waste there...

Matra et Alpine
04-21-2006, 11:26 AM
oh and the AI drivers suck. Expect to be bashed off in the braking zone if you're alongside someone !!!

adamfraser
04-21-2006, 11:28 AM
Should get GTR just for the experience. Its only £10 :p

Zytek_Fan
04-21-2006, 11:28 AM
oh and the AI drivers suck. Expect to be bashed off in the braking zone if you're alongside someone !!!
That happens to me on Forza all the time when I have difficulty set to hard :(

ruim20
04-21-2006, 01:32 PM
I didn'y like it either, it becomes boring, the phisiscs are completly arcade, it's just another one, GTR is much better, in everything.

Also on the subject of let down games, don't buy or waste time downloading "The Godfather" it's a complete let down, cartoon car phisics, graphicly it's worst than what it's trying to copy "MAFIA", after all these years i espected something much better, instead i uninstalled it and started playing MAFIA again :p

Street_Dreamer
04-21-2006, 01:40 PM
it may not be the optimum in realism but its a bit of fun and has such a wide range of disciplines that you are bound to find one you like
what Derek said's completely true. I think it's really fun. don't regret buying it (i have on PC) and even with hindsight i'd still buy it! i love the wide range of motors you can race, like carts, dtm cars, etc (haven't got that much done yet, i only just got)

Matra et Alpine
04-21-2006, 02:31 PM
GPL has loads of cars adn tracks.
GTR has a few add-ons, cars and tracks.
There are more tracks in GPL than you could ever imagine :D
If you want variety then I advise gettign one of these.
You can play them in "arcade" with friends for a laugh or race them in "sumulation" and get serious adn break some sweat.

I still go back to GPL on occasions as it's recreations are superb, but the tracks and trackside not so nice looking,
I dont' think we're suggesting it's a complete dog, but in terms of what's available out there then it's NO improvement on TOCA2 and they've gone for more variety than quality.
If I was to rate it on "fun" I dont' think it gets above MonsterTruckMadness :D
In terms of rank I'm afraid it's one that won't see the light of day again on my PC ( but it was a pressie so I can't bring myself to trade it in or pass it on, if she comes round I'll have to show it working :D )

If you don't mind owning multiple copies of similar games then get it for sure ( I've got every rally sim ever released -- plenty of dogs there for sure :( )

derekthetree
04-21-2006, 03:57 PM
Should get GTR just for the experience. Its only £10 :p

£7.99 on p**y.com :)

mines on its way :D

adamfraser
04-21-2006, 04:14 PM
Finally!

2ndclasscitizen
04-21-2006, 07:00 PM
That happens to me on Forza all the time when I have difficulty set to hard :(
That happens on any difficulty, what really shits me is when you're ahead, and then the AI turns in on the back and you can't turn :mad:

Zytek_Fan
04-21-2006, 07:17 PM
That happens on any difficulty, what really shits me is when you're ahead, and then the AI turns in on the back and you can't turn :mad:
Or in the endurance races when you try to put a lap on someone they force you off :mad::(

2ndclasscitizen
04-21-2006, 07:25 PM
And have you ever noticed that when you get up real closer behind an AI car, they brake much earlier and harder than otherwise? maybe its just me but i swear that's what the AI does

Zytek_Fan
04-21-2006, 07:47 PM
And have you ever noticed that when you get up real closer behind an AI car, they brake much earlier and harder than otherwise? maybe its just me but i swear that's what the AI does
Yep. Or on Road Atlanta they either go off on turn 10 or they shunt you on turn 10 because they can't brake worth shit. :p

Revolution
04-22-2006, 03:29 AM
I got Toca 3 (badged V8 Supercars 3 in Aus) a couple of weeks ago and I'm enjoying it so far, its one of the few games with the Adelaide Street Circuit in it, as well as the V8 Supercars to race on it. The things I really like about Toca 3 - the sounds. Codemasters did a good job, most cars sound very much like their real life counterparts. The graphics are also pretty good, especially for my aging PS2. The damage is great too, sparks and panel dents are a welcome change after GT4. What I don't like - The AI doesn't seem too clever, its not exactly hard to win a race, usually the biggest challenge for me is learning some of the European courses I've never heard of before. The pitstops - why can't we see whats going on in the pits?? And the dirt physics - I can't seem to slide at all :( And when you do slide, it comes to a halt mighty quickly.

fpv_gtho
04-22-2006, 05:07 AM
Sounds like theyve reverted back to the original Race Driver - i never really liked that for its touchy off centre handling....and breaking the lap record at Bathurst by 20 seconds.

Matra et Alpine
04-22-2006, 05:25 AM
Sounds like theyve reverted back to the original Race Driver - i never really liked that for its touchy off centre handling....and breaking the lap record at Bathurst by 20 seconds.
yeah, THAT is one fo the things that really annoys.

It's just so easy to get lap times that are impossible in real life.
I'd rather have something realistic where I can't get within 5 seconds of a lap time by Schumacher than pat myself on the back for getting faster than him :D

fpv_gtho
04-22-2006, 06:02 AM
I never played RD 2, as on the face of it, it was far too similar to the original when it was released, but i was starting to warm to the idea of getting the 3rd, although if nothings really changed, i wont bother and keep saving for a PS3..

Seems like ive missed out on the pick of the trio

vantage-v8
04-22-2006, 10:28 AM
I rent it first before thinking of buying it. And I dont regret that i tried first.
This game is so bad compare to GT4... as told by the author of this thread!

Just dont buy it...

Daz27
04-22-2006, 08:15 PM
Talking about the adelaide track, (Im talken RD2) why is it so damned wide? must be 8 lanes, and I live 40 ks away from the track, its not like ive never been there. Ive driven my road car around bathurst a few times, its narrow as, and it pi**es me off no end that I can do a 1.43 at bathurst on the game... The only v8 track that I have actually raced is Hidden Valley, and they have left out the rise over the flip flop after the first hairpin (the flip flop incidentally is called murphy's leap) but all in all its the most realistic. I also find it annoying how, in free mode, you have to set the difficulty at maximum to get the AI's even remotely competitive. dont get me started about Eastern Creek.... I hope they have worked on the tracks a little is all I can say.

Zytek_Fan
04-22-2006, 08:20 PM
lol. On Forza at Road Atlanta, I got a 1:09.something with the Saleen S7R :p (which breaks the record set by the Zytek 04S last year :p )

Vaigra
04-23-2006, 04:25 AM
£7.99 on p**y.com :)

mines on its way :D£4.99 from my local Gamestation :p

adamfraser
04-23-2006, 04:29 AM
£4.99 from my local Gamestation :p

On its way :D?

Vaigra
04-23-2006, 05:47 AM
It would be but I never get a chance to play :(

derekthetree
04-23-2006, 06:46 AM
£4.99 from my local Gamestation :p

aah but mine will be fresh and unused and will have one thing yours never will...

shrink-wrapping :D

if it ever gets here :mad:

Vaigra
04-23-2006, 06:54 AM
you're paying £3 for shrink-wrapping? :p
I have 20 pence worth of cling film! haha!

derekthetree
04-23-2006, 06:56 AM
20p for cling film.

you were done my friend :)

my local gamestation isn't that great. they're all skinflints up north :D

Vaigra
04-23-2006, 07:00 AM
So cling film's more expensive down here...still saving £2.80 :p

matek
04-23-2006, 12:08 PM
Havent bought the game and so far the only good point ive heard is about the variation of events.

Hmmmm so its not convincing.

One thing that got me intersted about this game was reading in the papers that it had the M25 as a race circuit thats the only reason id like to play this game to go around the M25 in a TVR at 150 mph.

You have to admit that isea is fun, not realistic but fun.:p

Vaigra
04-23-2006, 12:22 PM
That's because, in reality, you'd be lucky to hit 50 on the M25!! :p

matek
04-23-2006, 12:25 PM
^^exactly:p
Maybe GT5:p if we're lucky:p

derekthetree
04-23-2006, 01:06 PM
Havent bought the game and so far the only good point ive heard is about the variation of events.

Hmmmm so its not convincing.

One thing that got me intersted about this game was reading in the papers that it had the M25 as a race circuit thats the only reason id like to play this game to go around the M25 in a TVR at 150 mph.

You have to admit that isea is fun, not realistic but fun.:p

that was a hoax by a codemasters employee. got them a lot of free advertising in the daily "cause of 99% of middle class outrage" mail

wish it was on it though

matek
04-23-2006, 02:15 PM
NNNOOOO u serious hmm atleast i havent gone to extent of buying it:p

04-23-2006, 02:26 PM
RD3 just feels... wrong, and so unrealistic, its just to arcadey

if you want my advice (well, you dont, but still!) try LFS ( http://www.liveforspeed.net ) it has 740 car/track combos (all made up bah three cars one of which is an official Sauber F1 car!), but is made by just 3 people, a leading motorsport sim site (bhm) gave it game & physics of the year!

Matra et Alpine
04-23-2006, 02:30 PM
yeah a strong vote for LFS too.
Just some of the cars aren't that good :(
Variability is the issue I had/have with it.

austin healey
04-23-2006, 04:25 PM
never played the game but I recently got a xbox 360 and have been thoroughly dissapointed in my new racing game pgr3

derekthetree
04-24-2006, 01:32 AM
RD3 just feels... wrong, and so unrealistic, its just to arcadey

thats the point. its a game not a simulation. you have to go through the game unlocking things.

plus i think a lot of people may be judgiong it on the quality of the demo which was very poor. however the full game is much better. there are a few duff modes but its all about having fun

anyway i'l be able to compare it to gtr soon (hopefully :stares at letter box:)

EDIT: its here :D

Matra et Alpine
04-24-2006, 09:16 AM
Mine is from the direct experience, d.
Yeah you have to unlock CARS, but it doesn't improve the simulation and some of the cars you unlock are worse :(
yes the demo was frighteningly awful and will have done more to lose sales than make them imho.

04-24-2006, 10:15 AM
thats the point. its a game not a simulation. you have to go through the game unlocking things.

plus i think a lot of people may be judgiong it on the quality of the demo which was very poor. however the full game is much better. there are a few duff modes but its all about having fun

anyway i'l be able to compare it to gtr soon (hopefully :stares at letter box:)

EDIT: its here :Dmy experience in from tdr2 (hmmm, toca, bgut with out TOuring CArs!) and the 2 demos of trd3 (the civic one and the ordinary one with the V8 aussies cars)

syko
04-24-2006, 11:47 PM
TRD2 was good except for all the bugs in it which were never fixed with patchs, i haven't played 3 yet but i would be disapointed if it went backwards in development rather than forwards as most games do.

adrenaline
04-26-2006, 06:41 AM
Toca 3 is called v8 supercars 3 in australia...i brought JUST for the aussie v8 supercar championship. I ve had the game for around a month and havent done any of the world tour, all ive done is V8 supercar championships in 'simulator modes'. So i dunno about the rest of the game but i think the V8s are great...just the AI drivers tend to be unrealistically aggressive...i cant get through certain corners without being nearly knocked off the track....

EDIT: BTW OPSM2 gave it a 10/10.....:confused:

h00t_h00t
04-27-2006, 04:29 PM
Maybe they judged it as a game, not as a simulation.