PDA

View Full Version : Rust everywhere

camarodreamer
04-24-2006, 05:47 PM
Hello everybody, I know there are ways to get rid of rust but I am wondering if there is anyway to get rid of the kind that devolps in a junkyard after 20 years. The reason I am asking is because there is a 73 camaro that I am interested in and it needs total restoration, and a lot of rust work. Of course buying new metal is a last resort.

Any help is appreciated thanks

baddabang
04-24-2006, 05:49 PM
I think your going to have to buy new metal. Depending on how bad it is you might get away with reskinning it, but it would have to be in decent shape for that.

johnnynumfiv
04-24-2006, 06:01 PM
Sandblast the metal and see what's left after that. If it's to far gone, the sand will blast right through the metal, if it doesn't you don't need to replace it. But 20 years is a long time, so the frame might be to far gone too.

drakkie
04-24-2006, 11:41 PM
get sanding paper and go for it atleast if it is thick enough metal. It a definite mind-killer but hey it works. I once did it on a scooter. Completely hand-sanded and almost all rust removed. Took me about 3 months working every weekend on it :(

Cyclone
04-25-2006, 11:06 AM
I think you're going to have to buy new metal also. Sorry for the metal, but I agree with johnny, sandblasting is worth a shot.