PDA

View Full Version : Today is the day-

whiteballz
04-26-2006, 01:50 PM
Thats right, today is the day that i am going for my P's.

For those outside of australia, the P's test is part of the learning system, successfully passing your P's test allows the young driver in question (17 Yo) to legaly drive alone, rather then being on your L's which requires you to drive with a fully licenced driver in the passenger seat.

however due to my states crap laws, i am inelegible to drive half the good cars on the planet. *insert whiteballz swearing to infinity*

anyways, wish me luck :)

i will let you guys know how i go in a few hours.

Vaigra
04-26-2006, 02:02 PM
Good luck Sam :)
I'm sure you'll be fine. If you fail don't even bother coming back to UCP :p
Let us know how it goes, mate

6'bore
04-26-2006, 02:02 PM
Good luck mate...hope all goes well...

Suka
04-26-2006, 02:03 PM
Good luck buddy! I hope it goes well.

SlickHolden
04-26-2006, 03:18 PM
Good luck slap your face around get in the game game face mean nasty take the car and nail it:)
I can't believe i had to wait till i was 18 to get my p's:( I had been driving for 2 years when i got my p's.

2ndclasscitizen
04-26-2006, 04:20 PM
however due to my states crap laws, i am inelegible to drive half the good cars on the planet. *insert whiteballz swearing to infinity*
no, as long it hasn't got a turbo, V8, or a good six you're fine. Exige perhaps?:D

Good luck though, I'll be cheering for ya!

Cyco
04-26-2006, 04:46 PM
He isnt allowed a V12 either - esp an Italian one with a soon to be steak on the badge :p

IBrake4Rainbows
04-26-2006, 04:55 PM
God Speed Young Man - may the force be with you.

Now if you'll excuse me I have to drive my High Powered Straight 6....

God I love canberra....

2ndclasscitizen
04-26-2006, 05:47 PM
God Speed Young Man - may the force be with you.

Now if you'll excuse me I have to drive my High Powered Straight 6....

God I love canberra....
Yep, learning to drive and getting my P's with an instructor with an STi, awesome

Blitz_
04-26-2006, 07:00 PM
Good luck m8! im going for my test in about 2 weeks! so all the best and i hope you cruize through it with ease.

whiteballz
04-26-2006, 07:22 PM
thanks for all the kind words lads, i am officially legally allowed to drive alone, and my speed limit has been up'd 10kays :) still 90 though :(

yay me :) say hello to UCP's newest (legal) driver

nota
04-26-2006, 07:31 PM
Well done! :)

IBrake4Rainbows
04-26-2006, 07:40 PM
Huzzah!

prepare for the Demo Derby that is Sydney Driving :p !

2ndclasscitizen
04-26-2006, 09:28 PM
Congrats!

Rockefella
04-26-2006, 09:31 PM
We don't care Whiteballz...

Just kidding mate, congrats. Getting my license was a great day. :D

mmm_aapls
04-26-2006, 09:42 PM
Good work mate.

Any moments when you thought "ahh crap, I stuffed it"?

SlickHolden
04-26-2006, 09:47 PM
thanks for all the kind words lads, i am officially legally allowed to drive alone, and my speed limit has been up'd 10kays :) still 90 though :(

Congrats mate thats so cool you are going to be so happy now but you Will be nerves on your own it's natural:).

Blitz_
04-27-2006, 12:36 AM
damnit you passed grrr!

jkz! congrats x100 m8, drive safe ;)

adrenaline
04-27-2006, 01:46 AM
well done...i go for mine in 2 months...im annoyed because i dont have access to a car that i can legally drive...stupid laws...:(

RazaBlade
04-27-2006, 02:15 AM
Well done! Passing my driving test was one amazing day! Enjoy it!!!

Blue Supra
04-27-2006, 02:21 AM
legend, shame you cant drive my car... or i cant drive my car for that matter :p

im looking forward to driftin in whatever you buy buddy. (s13 non turbo does it well)

clutch-monkey
04-27-2006, 05:32 AM
well at least you didn't stuff it up by driving on the wrong side of the road....
i guess i should avoid driving around sydney now?

Vaigra
04-27-2006, 06:35 AM
You do know he won't reply for a coupla days now while he drives to his hearts content until he gets bored :p

Sauc3
04-27-2006, 08:19 AM
You do know he won't reply for a coupla days now while he drives to his hearts content until he gets bored :p
Thank (insert religious idol here) that I'm this far south! :D

Well done mate.

Wouter Melissen
04-27-2006, 08:26 AM
Congratulations!

Ferrer
04-27-2006, 08:31 AM
The day you get your license is always a good one, congratulations and enjoy it!

adamfraser
04-27-2006, 09:26 AM
Congrats Sam!

henk4
04-27-2006, 10:17 AM

congrats and you must have seen by now which car is now for sale:D

magracer
04-27-2006, 11:43 AM
Congrats!

I'd say that recieving a (proper) licence equals to being admitted to adulthood in the modern society. Use it wisely...;)

whiteballz
04-27-2006, 03:43 PM
youve given me an idea simon... what are the non turbo engine designations?

Nissan Silvia 1990 rear wheel drive Turquoise 1.8L 5 spd manual, 145267kms, air cond, alloy wheels, AM/FM CD/stereo, power steering, power windows, front & back safety belts Pretensioners AB-15-PQ, good condition $7000 negotiable

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=189669&d=1146177803

IBrake4Rainbows
04-27-2006, 05:03 PM
Bad colour, but I think i've figured out the designations.

Theres K's, Q's and J's, (like a deck of cards, Kings, Queens, Jacks).

The S13 Silvia was the first S-series car to use the J's (Jack's), Q's (Queen's), K's (King's) naming for the different trim levels. The J's was the base model with a very basic interior, little standard equipment, and 14" steel wheels. The Q's model is middle-of-the-road. They received many electric options and an optional LSD. The K's received the turbocharged engines, along with all the upgrades of the Q's.

On top of the K's and Q's models, The Club Selection and Dia(mond) Selection packages came with specific options bundled together; for example, all K's Club Selections came with projector headlights, a rear spoiler, and aluminum wheels. All the names used are references to the suits and face cards of English playing cards.

There also exists the rare Silvia A's "Almighty" introduced in late 1992. Confusingly, the Almighty fits roughly into the middle of the range. The only available engine was the normally-aspirated SR20DE.

whiteballz
04-27-2006, 06:32 PM
hmm i wonder which model that one is then... 1.8 litre, doesnt mention a turbo, so i am guessing not a K or a Q... but i am probably wrong..

Cyco
04-27-2006, 06:46 PM
Thank (insert religious idol here) that I'm this far south!:D

Well done mate.

So when will you be getting yours?

I'm not that concerend about staying away- all Melbourne drivers are mad as it is :p

SlickHolden
04-27-2006, 06:54 PM
So when will you be getting yours?

I'm not that concerend about staying away- all Melbourne drivers are mad as it is :p
Watch it or I'll drive over you lol:p

Cyco
04-27-2006, 07:06 PM
Watch it or I'll drive over you lol:p

Just wait till you hook turn - I'll be walking across the road and not expecting it. Already been nearly taken out by a taxi twice from this.

whiteballz
04-27-2006, 07:14 PM
yeah sauc, when? when? :p

SlickHolden
04-27-2006, 07:15 PM
Just wait till you hook turn - I'll be walking across the road and not expecting it. Already been nearly taken out by a taxi twice from this.
My favourite turn:D That has got to be the worst turn in history, If the light goes red and you don't plant it your toast:eek: I won't hit you mate:D

Falcon500
04-28-2006, 04:15 AM

And i missed young whiteballz getting his liscence to kill a bit belayed but good job mate:cool:

whiteballz
04-28-2006, 04:17 AM
thanks falc :)

Blue Supra
04-28-2006, 04:25 AM
WINNER!

mate i have all knowledge to get you a steal!

wikipedia is very vague, heres the real deal.

Js spec is basically non existant in aus, completely forget it infact.

There are two types of S13 (silvias) there are CA18 and SR20 engines. the SR being the newer kind (same as mine infact) they come in turbo and non turbo, manual and auto.

The Qs model is always non turbo and the Ks is always turbo. simple really :)

Obviously newer sils and 180s have SR20 engines and older ones have CA18s. CA is poo basically, stay away. Old, outdated and lacks the potential of SR engines. (unless you want to build one for stupid amount of boost, being and iron not alloy block it will take HEAPS) but youre staying NA so its fine.

The sil you posted is over priced. muchly.

Ill track down a good, cheap one through my contacts.

Are you keen on a Sil or will a 180 be good too?

whiteballz
04-28-2006, 04:28 AM
thanks bluie!

i could go ether way really, i love both looks, as long as its cheap i dont mind what it is :D

Falcon500
04-28-2006, 04:59 AM
WINNER!Obviously newer sils and 180s have SR20 engines and older ones have CA18s. CA is poo basically, stay away. Old, outdated and lacks the potential of SR engines. (unless you want to build one for stupid amount of boost, being and iron not alloy block it will take HEAPS) but youre staying NA so its fine.

I beg to differ old maybe but their alot stronger then people give them credit for and they rev alot harder then an SR20 out of the box and once you fix their anchileries they are just as quick as an sr20.

The only real problem with the mal alligned ca18det is that people havent looked after them as well as they should of. Rember this engine replaced the fj20et and it was quite succsesful in its own time (people seem to afflicted with selective memory)

Also you shouldent limit yourself to only s13s NA series 4/5 rx7s can be had for bargen prices early r32 gts skylines can be had for a couple of grand (i was about to buy a r32 GTS-T for 3k (rough as guts engine would of been fun to fix body blemishes a pain but doable and unlike my XY NO RUST!!! magic words) theres plety out there hell modified cortinas are plenty of fun just dont limit yourself trust me on this one.

Blue Supra
04-28-2006, 05:08 AM
trouble is with all this sam.

you cant drive a "modified car"

Sorry falc, i do give credit to the CA, ive seen some psycho one built (theres one in my mates shed thatll take 40PSI :eek: ) but the SR has a lot more bolt on parts available for it then the CA. also granted that most have had the guts flogged through them which i why i say a newer SR would be more suitable.

clutch-monkey
04-28-2006, 05:11 AM
i thought the CA18det's had a tendency to grenade themselves at 100,000 km's?

whiteballz
04-28-2006, 05:16 AM
yeah, technically im not allowed to drive a "modified" car.

Falcon500
04-28-2006, 05:17 AM
i thought the CA18det's had a tendency to grenade themselves at 100,000 km's?
Pfft if that was true there wouldent be any on the roads nowdays it all comes down to maintinence. and even turbo engines with legitimate problems (7mGTE,sirius II) can be made reliable with minor fixes and proper maintinence.

Falcon500
04-28-2006, 05:24 AM
Also ive seen a fresh red top motor wanting to be rebuilt after 10,000 clicks because the young bloke gave it a pizzling and didnt look after it....so many problems in that one car but he didnt put any time or effort into it he just liked to drift.

Blue Supra
04-28-2006, 05:26 AM
theyre showing their age alot now, mates cars have suffered from cracked hoses, worn piston rings, smoky turbos... but youre right (and its true with all cars) maintenance is the key to long life.

Falcon500
04-28-2006, 05:41 AM
theyre showing their age alot now, mates cars have suffered from cracked hoses, worn piston rings, smoky turbos... but youre right (and its true with all cars) maintenance is the key to long life.
cracked hoses are a royal bitch in ca18s they have a vacume hose that gos right under the manifold and you need to take the bloody thing off to get to this damn hose.

But keep anything a length of time and you find these things out sr20s have some very awkward hoses in them that and the genuine lower radiator hose retails for $90 lol after market all the way.

fpv_gtho
04-28-2006, 05:48 AM
yeah, technically im not allowed to drive a "modified" car.

Theres a solution to that, dont get caught :p

whiteballz
04-28-2006, 04:05 PM
i looked long and hard on the RTA website last night to find the actual listing of what counts as a "performance modification". no such luck. infact the only thing about the P1 Plate restrictions that i could find is the 6 cylinder restrictions! only 4 pages long! what the hell?

2ndclasscitizen
04-28-2006, 06:06 PM
WINNER!

mate i have all knowledge to get you a steal!

wikipedia is very vague, heres the real deal.

Js spec is basically non existant in aus, completely forget it infact.

There are two types of S13 (silvias) there are CA18 and SR20 engines. the SR being the newer kind (same as mine infact) they come in turbo and non turbo, manual and auto.

The Qs model is always non turbo and the Ks is always turbo. simple really :)

Obviously newer sils and 180s have SR20 engines and older ones have CA18s. CA is poo basically, stay away. Old, outdated and lacks the potential of SR engines. (unless you want to build one for stupid amount of boost, being and iron not alloy block it will take HEAPS) but youre staying NA so its fine.

How much would an N/A SR20 180 in good nick go for?

Blue Supra
05-01-2006, 04:23 AM
^^^
8 - 12k depending on whats done to it.

Falc, tell me about it! ive broken my back and been burnt after been under the bonnet for several hours getting to pipes and hoses hidden under manifolds and other things. so annoying. Labour on changing these things must be a crapload! at least i can do it myself and save some coin :D