PDA

View Full Version : Gas Saving idea: UCP member idea contest

werty
05-10-2006, 09:11 PM
The title is a mouth full yes, but I want make a competition to see who can come up with the best idea for an alternative power source for a car/truck. The concept must be feasable and made of parts that can already be produced...for example (you cant just say...(a ufo that hovers using krptonite)

***only serious ideas please***

I already have an idea in the works...i still need some time to think through it. So that being said there is a time limit for this comp and there will be a poll at the end to see who had the best idea. The comp starts now and you will have until May 20th. Be creative and have fun...who knows maybe we will think of something great!

***the concept can use gas, yet you would be missing the point...try to invent something that uses zero gas***

Spastik_Roach
05-10-2006, 09:19 PM
ride a cow to work

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/a/a4/Cow.jpg/375px-Cow.jpg

RazaBlade
05-10-2006, 09:24 PM
The whole world becomes a network of tramlines. You have your own individual 'pod' which will slide onto the main tracks. The pods will all travel at a constant speed, no need to stop or slow, as when you get to your destination you just slide off the main track. Obviously there will be tonnes and tonnes of criss-crossing, and you get to your destination by either punching the address into the GPS, or using your joystick control - solely for selecting which direction to take at a junction. Before the journey, you will type in how urgently you need to get there, so if some lines start to get busy, your pod will take an alternative route automatically to ease buildup. Individual pods use solar panels on the roof, but if your pod happens to be running low on juice, the whole line is run via a series of renewable energy sources eg giant wind farms etc.

Cars will be, sadly, just a thing for track days. However, these tracks will provide with every imaginable car, at a price.

PerfAdv
05-10-2006, 09:46 PM
In my proposed system, the road surface is comprised of air-pumps, which compress air and store it underground. Cars travelling on the road constantly compress air which in-turn is used to power the cars. Filling stations are located along roadways for use for a nominal cost required in the upkeep of the system. Also, proper compressed air stations use alternate and renewable energy sources to pressurize their supply.

This system would be optimally efficient in an Urban environment, as the density of traffic will assure a large supply of this constantly renewable energy source.

As air-pressure engines already exist this isn't too much of a stretch. Only a network of roads that can use the momentum of vehicles to compressed air needs to be developed.

Zytek_Fan
05-10-2006, 09:49 PM
Buy a Skoda :p

NuclearCrap
05-10-2006, 10:03 PM
Give it more time for the scientists to figure out how cold fusion works, maybe then the energy from it can be combined with minimal amount of diesel to create powerful, yet fuel-saving and high-torque cars.

targa
05-10-2006, 10:54 PM
I walk A LOT in town since gas got expensive again...It's been hot lately, so whoever I'm with is always bitching that I should drive, but I've worked in a kitchen for a year now, so heat's not a big deal.

walk

drakkie
05-11-2006, 12:50 AM
my idea for an electric perpetuum mobile.

Get the most efficient electrical engine you can find. Then hook it up to a very efficient dynamo. Put gears in them, with a 1:? ration so that the dynamo goes much faster as the engine. Once started, it will go forever however not enough extra force to power a vehicle. Now you hook this set-up onto a car. You will only lose slight(er) amounts of Watt's as you would in a normal car because it is automatically "refilled" by the dynamo. There still are losses in the system but i reckon they are much smaller as normal. Slam some solar panels on the top of the car and you will have that remainder of energy you need produced by nature at zero cost.

After talking to my best friend about it, he mentioned a system like this is being used in Refineries to power the vital backup system of the sensors.

Esperante
05-11-2006, 08:52 AM
Take the bus.

Niko_Fx
05-11-2006, 09:19 AM
I walk A LOT in town since gas got expensive again...It's been hot lately, so whoever I'm with is always bitching that I should drive, but I've worked in a kitchen for a year now, so heat's not a big deal.

walk

+ my car is black... The trunk usually gets hot as hell.

carbrochuretom
05-11-2006, 09:21 AM
Buy a Skoda :p
loool

carbrochuretom
05-11-2006, 09:24 AM
Why not use compressed air?

Roy Visser
05-11-2006, 09:30 AM
Why not use compressed air?

how would you generate compressed air?

man 430gt
05-11-2006, 10:21 AM
***only serious ideas please***

ride a cow to work

Hmm:rolleyes: :D

Matra et Alpine
05-11-2006, 10:32 AM
Hmm:rolleyes: :D
yes ??
http://www.itsalongstory.com/holidays2001/andrea_riding_the_cow.jpg

:D:D:D:D

matek
05-11-2006, 10:56 AM
Subscribe to piplelinecard.org and get a card which gives you a 12% discount per litre :p

Rockefella
05-11-2006, 12:23 PM
Rockets. You strap yourself on, punch in the exact GPS location, and set sail,I mean launch.

Egg Nog
05-11-2006, 12:25 PM
yes ??

:D:D:D:D

Haha, where do you get this crap :D :) - That's hilarious! :D

werty
05-12-2006, 03:38 PM
can no one take this thread seriously?

Zytek_Fan
05-12-2006, 03:57 PM
Buy a monkey to work and do your errands for you.

zeta
05-12-2006, 04:37 PM
This may be too Avance for Noobs but...

At highway cruising set speeds a motion powered electronic motor in each wheel or axle carry the speed of the car, while fuel injection cuts out, the engine is still spinning on the recipating motion of the still turning drivetrain. whether it be 20 km/h or 255 km/h

I was thinking about if you had each wheel or axle have/ create is own power and storage, similiar to how a Wheel Speed Sensor works for ABS and for input for a Limited Slip Differential with a electric motor in each wheel or axle, when the wheels spin it will create a AC alternating current similiar to how a altnetaor/generator works- mechanical spinning into electrical current through a ampilfing electric coil. So at highway set speeds when not acclerating to certain extent- the engine will be off burning no fuel but, the engine will be spinning so it can kick back in when you touch the acclerator. Can you fukking image the great highway mileage you would get then, with regulation, moderation, and fine comming. Hows that for Hybrid.

I have alot more ideas but I'm not sharing.

PerfAdv
05-12-2006, 05:29 PM
This may be too Avance for Noobs but...

At highway cruising set speeds a motion powered electronic motor in each wheel or axle carry the speed of the car, while fuel injection cuts out, the engine is still spinning on the recipating motion of the still turning drivetrain. whether it be 60 km/h or 255 km/h

I was thinking about if you had each wheel or axle have/ create is own power and storage, similiar to how a Wheel Speed Sensor works for ABS and for input for a Limited Slip Differential with a electric motor in each wheel or axle, when the wheels spin it will create a AC alternating current similiar to how a altnetaor/generator works- mechanical spinning into electrical current through a ampilfing electric coil. So at highway set speeds when not acclerating to certain extent- the engine will be off burning no fuel but, the engine will be spinning so it can kick back in when you touch the acclerator. Can you fukking image the great highway mileage you would get then, with regulation, moderation, and fine comming. Hows that for Hybrid.

If you steal this idea I will hunt you down and kill you.:mad: I have alot more ideas but I'm not sharing.
The drag of an engine spinning in gear but not providing any motive force will slow the car immediately. All you've really done in separate the components of a Hybrid and spread them around. The added complexity and weight of having 4 motor/generators and as you proposed 4 separate energy storage units will lead to a heavy and space ineffiecient setup.

PerfAdv
05-12-2006, 05:42 PM
What I picture is an Hybrid setup that you could retrofit onto existing fuel powered cars. One which adds motor/generators to the non drive wheels. In my version, for example in a FWD car, motor/generators are adapted/fitted to the rear wheels. A battery pack is fitted into the storage area and a computer system is installed that communicates with the ECM of the Gas engine. The only time the Electric motors function is at freeway speeds, when only 15-30 hp is needed to maintain speed. So, as the car is being driven normally under gas power, the mo/gens are storing energy. Once up to cruising speed the auxiliary electric system takes over. The gas engine is shut off and the electric motors propel the car along, while essentially the gas motor is free-wheeling as if clutched. If more/or passing power is required the gas engine kicks in, otherwise its electric cruising. :D

My idea! and if you can make it happen, bring me on-board. I've got a couple more sparkly ideas. :)

Spastik_Roach
05-12-2006, 06:01 PM
can no one take this thread seriously?

Riding a cow to work is clean and efficient. How dare you make a mockery of my idea!

Niko_Fx
05-12-2006, 07:01 PM
I got the answer right here:

Water Fuel (http://media.putfile.com/Water-Fuel)

Zytek_Fan
05-12-2006, 10:14 PM
Riding a cow to work is clean and efficient. How dare you make a mockery of my idea!
You can also produce a lot of methane while riding :p

Zytek_Fan
05-12-2006, 10:15 PM
I've got it.
MAGNETS IN EACH WHEEL TO DRIVE LIKE A MAGLEV

zeta
05-12-2006, 10:25 PM
The drag of an engine spinning in gear but not providing any motive force will slow the car immediately. All you've really done in separate the components of a Hybrid and spread them around. The added complexity and weight of having 4 motor/generators and as you proposed 4 separate energy storage units will lead to a heavy and space ineffiecient setup.

But these electric motors are AC generators similiar to an altenator that will run off of the spinning wheels started by the engines power, with individual coil packs for amplified power, and are the size of a small brake rotor they wouldn't weigh much take up space. Or you can put it in the differential or transfer case to power the axle itself, rather than the wheel.

Your probably right about the engine however, I was thinking the motive force of the wheel/axle motor itself would be powerful enough to (to transfer power in reverse) and keep the motor spinning. This is just a thought tho.

zeta
05-12-2006, 10:27 PM
I've got it.
MAGNETS IN EACH WHEEL TO DRIVE LIKE A MAGLEV

Yeah, that preety good. Magnetic reverse polarity, like how bullet trains work:)

Matra et Alpine
05-13-2006, 02:54 AM
Remember that electric motor re-generation takes energy OUT of the vehicle.
So the MORE energy you recover to store in batteries the quicker the motors will slow the vehicle down.
Just adding this as a number of times it reads as if this is believed to be a no-loss recovery.

werty
05-14-2006, 02:31 PM
here is my idea...

a steam engine converted to run off turbocharged compressed air:eek:

there would be more than one air compressor, one pushing the engine, the other constantly refilling, the turbo would help create the needed boost and hp. It would be powered by large batteries that are recharged from braking/wheels spinning/ + other ways to help charge

it would be clean and get infinity mpg:D

im not sure if this idea works, but it sounds good on paper (might need some tweaking to actually work)

Rockefella
05-14-2006, 02:37 PM
here is my idea...

a steam engine converted to run off turbocharged compressed air:eek:

there would be more than one air compressor, one pushing the engine, the other constantly refilling, the turbo would help create the needed boost and hp. It would be powered by large batteries that are recharged from braking/wheels spinning/ + other ways to help charge

it would be clean and get infinity mpg:D

im not sure if this idea works, but it sounds good on paper (might need some tweaking to actually work)
I can't see the efficiency being too great.. :)

h00t_h00t
05-14-2006, 04:20 PM
Slaves.

Pull!
*gets whip out*

matek
05-14-2006, 04:30 PM
1) Get to top of hill.

2) Get onto thingy with round thingies at bottom of thingy.

3) Jump at speed onto combination of thingies.

4) Thingy uses NO Fossil fuel but thingy fuel :p

I win :p

Matra et Alpine
05-14-2006, 05:06 PM
Too many power conversions, werty.
EVERY time you put another step you lose power.
Also, air powered engines don't have hte exit air flow speed to run a turbo. If htey did then again it's an unecessary and lossy conversion> Turbo works on internal combustion as you squeeze more FUEL in to extract teh energey from. But to compress the air in a turbo takes more energy than you can recoiver from teh comrpessed air ( cos it it didnt' then you foudn energy from nothing :) )

werty
05-14-2006, 05:33 PM
Too many power conversions, werty.
EVERY time you put another step you lose power.
Also, air powered engines don't have hte exit air flow speed to run a turbo. If htey did then again it's an unecessary and lossy conversion> Turbo works on internal combustion as you squeeze more FUEL in to extract teh energey from. But to compress the air in a turbo takes more energy than you can recoiver from teh comrpessed air ( cos it it didnt' then you foudn energy from nothing :) )
air powered engines dont have exit flow? what about all that excess steam or smoke you see pouring out the top of a train?

PsychoChimp22
05-14-2006, 07:03 PM
Walk places within 2 miles of where you are?
lazy people :p

Matra et Alpine
05-15-2006, 03:12 AM
air powered engines dont have exit flow? what about all that excess steam or smoke you see pouring out the top of a train?
That's DELIBERATELY released power to draw smoke through the firebox and increase the fule burn. You don't see that on oil fired boilers.
Triple expansion chambers are used for steam and the final release is at clsoe to normal air pressure.
ANY exit air flow is energy NOT extracted by teh engine, so it's "lost". Why lose it ? Better efficiency is achieved if it's used fully the first time around>
As said, turbo ( and supercharging ) makes sense when it's fuel/air mix that is being pre-compressed to increase the latent energy.

matek
05-15-2006, 04:00 AM
All the ideas with magnatism fail as a result of Lenzes law so if you dont have a Degree in a specific direction in Physics then you might aswell give up because they all fail as a result from one or another law.

junaman
05-15-2006, 04:12 AM
All the ideas with magnatism fail as a result of Lenzes law so if you dont have a Degree in a specific direction in Physics then you might aswell give up because they all fail as a result from one or another law.

or unless you're Peter..... :D:D

carbrochuretom
05-15-2006, 04:23 AM
how would you generate compressed air?
You could compress the air at your house using an air compressor, fill a compressed-air tank in the car, and the car could run off of it. You could use an engine very similar to a steam engine (using pressurised air instead of pressurised steam) to convert the compressed air to rotational energy.

The main problem you would have is the size of the "gas tank" you would need to get any kind of reasonable range. You would need a LOT of compressed air to take a car very far.

derekthetree
05-15-2006, 04:31 AM

even with one (nearly!), i don't think i could talk about one in great detail :)

Matra et Alpine
05-15-2006, 05:07 AM
No they don't the back-emf is manageable and even the small emf local loops can be reduced. Back emf is not complex. Anyone who has done the basics of an electrical engineering course that covered motores and generators will know the math and the ways to mitigate. It's NOT quantum physics ... its' just electrical engineering :D

They aren't as efficient as folks would like because of the inefficiency introduced by the back-emf. So if that's what you meant by "fail" then that's OK. But jstu as with EVERY change in energy from one type to anotehr the loses are what kills "free" power ideas.

and let's get it right Lenz's Law is "only" Faradays induction equation with a minus sing in front :) WHich of course Maxwell's equation provide all teh foundation for and he of course was ALSO a Scot :D ( born a mere 7 miles form me :) and a over a century :D )

Jsut keeping up the appearance of God-like qualities :D

matek
05-15-2006, 05:49 AM
They aren't as efficient as folks would like because of the inefficiency introduced by the back-emf. So if that's what you meant by "fail" then that's OK. But jstu as with EVERY change in energy from one type to anotehr the loses are what kills "free" power ideas.

and let's get it right Lenz's Law is "only" Faradays induction equation with a minus sing in front WHich of course Maxwell's equation provide all teh foundation for and he of course was ALSO a Scot ( born a mere 7 miles form me and a over a century )

Exactly so :) was just revising that with teacher exam in a couple of weeks a levels :p

Matra et Alpine
05-15-2006, 09:13 AM
Exactly so :) was just revising that with teacher exam in a couple of weeks a levels :p
ah the memories :(

So do you still use the thumb, index and second fingers at 90 deg each to remember the force vectors , left hand for generators, right hand for motors .... ?

SlickHolden
05-15-2006, 02:54 PM
Control your RPM's and get some type of restrictive on the fuel so you can't use more then 8lt's per 100km.:D

h00t_h00t
05-15-2006, 04:20 PM
Work from home, and when not working be a hermit!

DesmoRob
05-15-2006, 09:52 PM
Get a Jetta TDI, they take on average 4.5L/100km, which equates to roughly 65mpg. They aren't that expensive and plus it'll probably last you your whole life anyway if you take proper care of it. VW all the way!:D

ringle
05-15-2006, 10:05 PM
My friend's car is already set up for fuel effientcies.......you see one day he noticed the floor pans had rusted out.......so nowhe never has to gas up...... he operates his car like Fred Flintstone

drakkie
05-16-2006, 01:47 AM
my idea for an electric perpetuum mobile.

Get the most efficient electrical engine you can find. Then hook it up to a very efficient dynamo. Put gears in them, with a 1:? ration so that the dynamo goes much faster as the engine. Once started, it will go forever however not enough extra force to power a vehicle. Now you hook this set-up onto a car. You will only lose slight(er) amounts of Watt's as you would in a normal car because it is automatically "refilled" by the dynamo. There still are losses in the system but i reckon they are much smaller as normal. Slam some solar panels on the top of the car and you will have that remainder of energy you need produced by nature at zero cost.

After talking to my best friend about it, he mentioned a system like this is being used in Refineries to power the vital backup system of the sensors.

Every other option has been thoroughly been discussed,except mine. And i am dying to know if it might be possible :rolleyes:

Still wondering, would this be technically possible ? Otherwise i'll better run towards the patent-agency :)

junaman
05-16-2006, 01:50 AM
Every other option has been thoroughly been discussed,except mine. And i am dying to know if it might be possible :rolleyes:

Still wondering, would this be technically possible ? Otherwise i'll better run towards the patent-agency :)

I think they're withholding that information from you, so they can get to the patent office before you...;)

drakkie
05-16-2006, 05:59 AM
I think they're withholding that information from you, so they can get to the patent office before you...;)

too bad im now sitting on a bench opposit to it, using my laptop and some companies wireless network :D

just kidding :) I might have an attempt to build this after my exams though :D

11-17-2006, 02:41 AM
Cutting the vehicle weight in half would save tons of gas. A Spartan design, including the use of chromoly and other light materials could result in a car weighing less than 1500 lbs. The higher cost of the light materials could be partially offset by the need for less material.