PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Americans...

adrenaline
05-13-2006, 05:47 AM
I get really confused about America. I come from down under so i know basically nothing about the USA. Whats the deal with canada and the USA....are they related? Completely different? Where are the best places in america? like where does everyone want to be? I know heaps of the cities...just not much about them. The only thing i really hear often is that miami is nice. Other than that i dont know much at all...please inform me!!!

Yes it is very random, but ive been meaning to ask for a while now :D:D

zeta
05-13-2006, 06:15 AM
The USA and Canada is like AU and Oz to seperate countries on the north american continent. There both a spin off of the UK both speak English, French in some parts of Canada, like AU and Oz. And are related in alot of things like cars, because there right next to each other.

pimento
05-13-2006, 06:52 AM
AU and Oz? Surely they're the same thing..

mclaren_crazy
05-13-2006, 07:17 AM
Two different countries, thats all their is. Their economies are havily dependant on eachother but they are seperate. Plus the majority of Canadians don't like the states

Matra et Alpine
05-13-2006, 07:23 AM
Two different counties
Counties, not countRies ? Freudian slip ?? :D

mclaren_crazy
05-13-2006, 07:42 AM
thanks for the catch matra

ScionDriver
05-13-2006, 07:43 AM
Candaians and Americans don't like each other for pretty much no valid reason. I have no problem with Canada. But anyway, Miami is OK, I have never been there but I hear there is a lot of crime and a lot of Cuban nationals, not that thats a bad thing. Most people want to go to either Flordia, California or New York, for Cities it is mostly Los Angeles (LA), New York or Chicago, those are three biggest.

zeta
05-13-2006, 07:56 AM

d-quik
05-13-2006, 07:57 AM
Candaians and Americans don't like each other for pretty much no valid reason.^very very low basis in fact

everyone is lying canada and america are the same thing guys, don't be fools :D

baddabang
05-13-2006, 08:40 AM
^very very low basis in fact

everyone is lying canada and america are the same thing guys, don't be fools :D

There is one difference......

http://www.ninjapirate.com/images/smarties.jpg

Eh?

zeta
05-13-2006, 08:45 AM
Miami is OK, I have never been there but I hear there is a lot of crime and a lot of Cuban nationals, not that thats a bad thing.

You watched the movie Scarface and played Vice City GTA to much, then got an impression.

d-quik
05-13-2006, 08:48 AM

Eh?i agree

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/images/fannov03.jpg

targa
05-13-2006, 11:02 AM
I get really confused about America. I come from down under so i know basically nothing about the USA. Whats the deal with canada and the USA....are they related? Completely different? Where are the best places in america? like where does everyone want to be? I know heaps of the cities...just not much about them. The only thing i really hear often is that miami is nice. Other than that i dont know much at all...please inform me!!!

The USA and Canada are very alike. Canada however is more free than the United States. The Us is "the home of the free," yes, but Canada is more liberal as a rule than the US is. Things are a bit more socialized in Canada, also. So your taxes are a bit higher, but it's for a good cause. There are lots of towns and cities, and everyone of them has it's own appeal. Cities of Beer, Cheese, Wine, Pizza, Sin, Gambling, Chocolate. Just about everything you could think of, some town or city in the US claims it. I only listed food because I'm kind of hungry at the moment, please excuse. A lot of people say the city is where to be, s lot enjoy the rural parts. I've only seen Miami through the double paynes of an airplane window, but I know a girl in college down there, she says it's nice. It would be nicer if you spoke Spainish as well as English. You'd get to experience yourself to more of the culture than if you're a non Spainish speaker.

my porsche
05-13-2006, 11:22 AM
The USA and Canada are very alike. Canada however is more free than the United States. The Us is "the home of the free," yes, but Canada is more liberal as a rule than the US is. Things are a bit more socialized in Canada, also. So your taxes are a bit higher, but it's for a good cause. There are lots of towns and cities, and everyone of them has it's own appeal. Cities of Beer, Cheese, Wine, Pizza, Sin, Gambling, Chocolate. Just about everything you could think of, some town or city in the US claims it. I only listed food because I'm kind of hungry at the moment, please excuse. A lot of people say the city is where to be, s lot enjoy the rural parts. I've only seen Miami through the double paynes of an airplane window, but I know a girl in college down there, she says it's nice. It would be nicer if you spoke Spainish as well as English. You'd get to experience yourself to more of the culture than if you're a non Spainish speaker.
kind of sad when we have to learn spanish to be able to enjoy an american city, huh?

anyway, the four biggest cities are probably the coolest places to be, but some decently sized places (seattle and santa barbara namely) appeal to me and i get to visit them often.

Houston is actually a very awesome city, with lots of cool stuff going on, festivals, concerts, music scene, parks, bayous and lakes, lots of forest, cool architechture etc, but most people outside of houston dont realize that. i've actually decided to take on a long term project to make a book to sort of show that in pictures.

new york, everyone knows about that, los angeles from my experiences, is like new york but smaller and more mexican influence.

havent been to chicago.

rev440
05-13-2006, 11:55 AM
You guys cant forget about DC thats a pretty big city well the biggest Ive been too. Miami being nic is all ther opinon it depends if you like big crowds or if you like to be with your friends and thats it. I myself like smaller crowds and I really enjoy visiting the country which is where I live and my summer house is also. When i grow up ill have so many stories to tell my kids about what we did on those old dirt roads up in Michigan. Michigan has many lakes and if your into watersports and boating it has acess some of the biggest freshwater lakes in the world. But most people in ohio go to Florida for spring break as I do also so a very popular place with us Ohians is Michigan and Florida.

zeta
05-13-2006, 12:21 PM
[QUOTE=d-quik]i agree

WTF is that distrubing pic suppose to mean:confused:

Egg Nog
05-13-2006, 12:50 PM
kind of sad when we have to learn spanish to be able to enjoy an american city, huh?

Yeah, culture is totally overrated :rolleyes:

If anything, visiting Quebec City made me more proud to be a Canadian because everyone spoke French.

The_Canuck
05-13-2006, 01:02 PM
your calling all americans to say if Canada is different or not? lol anyway Canada is different from The U.S in climate, population and some wildlife and culture. thats about it, for some reason its become a trend up here to dislike americans, i think thats stupid. we dont approve of the iraq war so for some reason that makes the U.S full of idiots, rednecks and right wing nutjobs. lol then theres the softwood lumber dispute which is stupid. And to your other question "what are some nice places in america?" well lets see, Cancun is nice, Panama is very nice too, ive heard rio de janeiro is also very nice. :D

ZeTurbo
05-13-2006, 01:25 PM

If anything, visiting Quebec City made me more proud to be a Canadian because everyone spoke French.
every canadian should be proud of that quebec is a part of Canada :p
jk

I find it absolutely awsome that i Can go places in montreal and hear people speak a different language.
And you dont nee to speak a language to enjoy that countries culture.

ScionDriver
05-13-2006, 02:40 PM
You watched the movie Scarface and played Vice City GTA to much, then got an impression.
Actually never really done too much of either of that but uh I just have heard a lot of stories I guess, I do admit that I have no personal expirences to back it up, but one the whole I never found Flordia that appealing.

F1_Master
05-13-2006, 04:38 PM
Here in America, most people tend to want to at least live somewhere in California. The most desirable places here have to be L.A., Miami, and probably another California city.

And I think Canada is mixed up as being the same as America, because of it being between Alaska and the main U.S. states....But every Canadian, American, and whoever should know it's not though sadly, some Americans do.

h00t_h00t
05-13-2006, 04:38 PM
So why don't you like each other, its been going on longer than the iraq war...

Niko_Fx
05-13-2006, 07:36 PM
The only thing i really hear often is that miami is nice.

It depends. Miami is too big, it has places that are repugnant and where poverty abounds, and other places that are nice as hell and only rich ppl can afford to live in.

I live about 1 hour north of Miami (driving) and whenever I go down there is only to have fun, cause for some reason I wouldn't see myself living in that city... I don't know, something about the amount of people, the rush hours, etc the freaks (yes, a bunch of freaks... Taz can confirm that) --> (South Beach...)

Here's a pic I took at a night club last weekend, great places to visit and have fun as you can see :D

The_Canuck
05-13-2006, 09:33 PM
So why don't you like each other, its been going on longer than the iraq war...
softwood lumber, 1812, U.S entering world wars later, more softwood lumber, any conflict between Britain and U.S, Bush. that about sums it up.

Zytek_Fan
05-13-2006, 10:26 PM
I would like to live in Canada...

Egg Nog
05-13-2006, 11:48 PM
Of course the two countries are quite similar. We all generally drive the same cars and and consume the same goods, etc, etc. However, it would be stupid to say that we're essentially the same.

It's been said that socially the USA is more of a "melting pot" while Canada is a "cultural mosaic" (this wording has become stereotypical in many textbooks). There are many people who like seeing either side of this - naturally I'm on the Canadian side on this one as I've been raised with it.

cmcpokey
05-14-2006, 06:49 AM
i have no problem with Canada. I just recently spent some time working with a Canadian ship, and they were all really cool, but I also a bunch of pussies. Would not be a challenge in battle. I personally could never live in Canada for the sheer fact that it is way too cold.

baddabang
05-14-2006, 08:02 AM
It depends. Miami is too big, it has places that are repugnant and where poverty abounds, and other places that are nice as hell and only rich ppl can afford to live in.

I live about 1 hour north of Miami (driving) and whenever I go down there is only to have fun, cause for some reason I wouldn't see myself living in that city... I don't know, something about the amount of people, the rush hours, etc the freaks (yes, a bunch of freaks... Taz can confirm that) --> (South Beach...)

Here's a pic I took at a night club last weekend, great places to visit and have fun as you can see :D

I think you forgot the price of real estate. ;)

i have no problem with Canada. I just recently spent some time working with a Canadian ship, and they were all really cool, but I also a bunch of pussies. Would not be a challenge in battle. I personally could never live in Canada for the sheer fact that it is way too cold.

Its not really that cold in the southern areas along the border. The snow is probably a pain in the ass though. I think we get about the same weather.

Pando
05-14-2006, 08:36 AM
kind of sad when we have to learn spanish to be able to enjoy an american city, huh?Where does it say English is the official language?

"what are some nice places in america?" well lets see, Cancun is nice, Panama is very nice too, ive heard rio de janeiro is also very nice. :D+1

(...and about the differences - Stereotypically, a person from Canada will always make that connection before anyone from the United States) ;)

my porsche
05-14-2006, 08:42 AM

yeah but canada is bi-lingual, i dont know spanish, and i wish more people who spoke spanish (i dont care if they speak spanish) spoke english as well, there are TONS of people who only speak spanish...

my porsche
05-14-2006, 08:44 AM
It's been said that socially the USA is more of a "melting pot" while Canada is a "cultural mosaic" (this wording has become stereotypical in many textbooks). There are many people who like seeing either side of this - naturally I'm on the Canadian side on this one as I've been raised with it.
mosaic as in small areas of different cultures as opposed to all mixed together? i remember going to vancouver and there was a distinc indian/middle eastern area?

Viper007
05-14-2006, 09:09 AM
I would recommend hitting Fla as a whole, the major cities there which there are all quite fun. Also make sure to go to DC, what a great place for learning about American history and government. And do not forget NYC, what an incredible place, theres everything to do there. Oh and whats wrong with diversity?

kingofthering
05-14-2006, 02:58 PM

Go to San Francisco, its a shorter flight than Miami

carbrochuretom
05-14-2006, 03:06 PM

Eh?

Well the smarties on the right are British....Nestle

The smarties on the left arent proper smarties from Britain:p :D

Thats what makes Canada and US different, The Commonwealth!

Schmallz
05-14-2006, 03:10 PM
Come check out San Diego, America's Finest City, just don't come in the summer and clog our beaches like every from Arizona/Nevada.;)
San Diego is the 7th largest and just north of Mexico, 100 miles south of L.A.
it is very nice.

carbrochuretom
05-14-2006, 03:16 PM
Where are the best places in america? like where does everyone want to be? I know heaps of the cities...just not much about them.

Coming from a Londonian in UK, New York is awesome. Only went for 5 days, but the people are cool, the shops can be a tad expensive until you hit Times Square, where some Indians sell the I LOVE NY t-shirts. + you get offered the crappy Rap, R n B CDs from...who?? I dunno lol:D after 10pm(ish). I went to Statten Island aswell, not recommended for a tourist:D . Apologies to any Staten Island residents if you read the next bit and take offence: its like one giant mental instistute on that place. I SAW A MAN WALKING A DUCK:confused: and then I saw a woman, climbing into a rubbish bin (trash can) :D for no reason, she just stood there! Its worth getting a Metro card aswell for the subway, actually I still got some credit on mine! Central Park is good, I wanted to ride a bike there but I went out of season and I couldnt do it which was a bum. And if you need a hotel there, stay in the WALDORF ASTORIA, I did:D oo and plus there are some nice car garages/dealerships down Park Avenue by that hotel. Ferrari had 2 Enzos in, Red and Yellow. If that helps PM me, I can tell you some more lol:D :D

mmm_aapls
05-14-2006, 03:40 PM
I come from down under so i know basically nothing about the USA. Whats the deal with canada and the USA....are they related? Completely different? :D:D

It's time like these i think that Aussies really are as ignorant as Americans:D

Rockefella
05-14-2006, 03:52 PM
Coming from a Londonian in UK, New York is awesome. Only went for 5 days, but the people are cool, the shops can be a tad expensive until you hit Times Square, where some Indians sell the I LOVE NY t-shirts. + you get offered the crappy Rap, R n B CDs from...who?? I dunno lol:D after 10pm(ish). I went to Statten Island aswell, not recommended for a tourist:D . Apologies to any Staten Island residents if you read the next bit and take offence: its like one giant mental instistute on that place. I SAW A MAN WALKING A DUCK:confused: and then I saw a woman, climbing into a rubbish bin (trash can) :D for no reason, she just stood there! Its worth getting a Metro card aswell for the subway, actually I still got some credit on mine! Central Park is good, I wanted to ride a bike there but I went out of season and I couldnt do it which was a bum. And if you need a hotel there, stay in the WALDORF ASTORIA, I did:D oo and plus there are some nice car garages/dealerships down Park Avenue by that hotel. Ferrari had 2 Enzos in, Red and Yellow. If that helps PM me, I can tell you some more lol:D :D
Lol, Staten Island is a safehaven compared to the Bronx, Brooklyn, and even Queens, specifically, Bushwick, Williamsburg, Bedford-Stuyvesant, Washington Heights, Harlem, et. al. :p

h00t_h00t
05-14-2006, 04:11 PM
softwood lumber, 1812, U.S entering world wars later, more softwood lumber, any conflict between Britain and U.S, Bush. that about sums it up.
Those are rubbish reasons, in comparison the British and french almost have legitimate reasons to hate eachother.

2ndclasscitizen
05-14-2006, 04:28 PM
It's time like these i think that Aussies really are as ignorant as Americans:D
I think it'd be like an American asking what's the go with australia and NZ

Matra et Alpine
05-14-2006, 05:09 PM
Here in America, most people tend to want to at least live somewhere in California. The most desirable places here have to be L.A., Miami, and probably another California city.
You're kidding right ?
NOBODY in Washington state wants to slum it in California :D
NOBODY in Caronlina I ever met was interested in movign to a state struggling for water ! Nor COlorado.
Actualy I can't think of any state where "most" wanted to even go anywhere NEAR California :D
Let me guess ... you're Californian :D

When did Miami leap to the west coast ? Was their an earthquake and tectonic plate slip I missed ? :D

PerfAdv
05-14-2006, 07:31 PM
You're kidding right ?
NOBODY in Washington state wants to slum it in California :D
NOBODY in Caronlina I ever met was interested in movign to a state struggling for water ! Nor COlorado.
Actualy I can't think of any state where "most" wanted to even go anywhere NEAR California :D
Let me guess ... you're Californian :D

When did Miami leap to the west coast ? Was their an earthquake and tectonic plate slip I missed ? :D
Sorry, but your misconceptions about California are atleast 10 years old. :D
No water shortages, or electrical, or sunshine for that matter. :p

I've lived in both WA state and CA, and California is definitely the more desirable place to live. I'd maybe go back to Washington to retire... Washington is incomparable when it comes to natural beauty. Mt. Ranier seems to float like a phantom mountain no matter where you go in the Seattle area. The Olympic peninsula is the only rain forest in the Northern Hemisphere and it's mountain ranges are also visible from Seattle. You're then surrounded by the Cascades ranges to the North and West. Tulip farming make driving N of the city toward Anacortes a treat, with flower-filled fields. Also, the San Juan Islands off the coast are glorious. The pace of life is preferable to California, especially the fast paced metro areas.

But!!!! if anything you're slumming it in WA compared to California. Orange county is possibly the nicest place to live in the entire country.

my porsche
05-14-2006, 07:57 PM
california is cool, so is orange county, but i would rather live in santa monica

PerfAdv
05-14-2006, 09:23 PM
If it's small town coastal charm your after, go for Santa Barbara. (http://www.santabarbaraca.com/) Better yet, try the Monteray and Carmel areas. (http://www.monterey-carmel.com/)

Santa Monica is just coastal LA. Nice but smoggy and over-populated.

Yeah but if you work in LA, Santa Monica is great!

zeta
05-14-2006, 10:39 PM

I've lived in both WA state and CA, and California is definitely the more desirable place to live. I'd maybe go back to Washington to retire... Washington is incomparable when it comes to natural beauty. Mt. Ranier seems to float like a phantom mountain no matter where you go in the Seattle area. The Olympic peninsula is the only rain forest in the Northern Hemisphere and it's mountain ranges are also visible from Seattle. You're then surrounded by the Cascades ranges to the North and West. Tulip farming make driving N of the city toward Anacortes a treat, with flower-filled fields. Also, the San Juan Islands off the coast are glorious. The pace of life is preferable to California, especially the fast paced metro areas.

But!!!! if anything you're slumming it in WA compared to California. Orange county is possibly the nicest place to live in the entire country.

I think central and south Florida pwns california in desirable residency and natural beauty, real esate is cheaper, cali's beaches can't touch the clear carribean clear water white sand sea beaches, minutes away from the bahamas, the florida keys (islands) are like an early extension of the bahamas, the great all aoroung weather minus hurricanes...etc.

PerfAdv
05-15-2006, 12:23 AM
I think central and south Florida pwns california in desirable residency and natural beauty, real esate is cheaper, cali's beaches can't touch the clear carribean clear water white sand sea beaches, minutes away from the bahamas, the florida keys (islands) are like an early extension of the bahamas, the great all aoroung weather minus hurricanes...etc.
No doubt, there's no competing with the beaches in Florida. The beaches in California have more of a rugged beauty.:) Also, the water is too cold, unlike Florida's tropical waters. This doesn't really bother me but it is a big plus for beach-goers. What does suck about California are the real estate values. But as it stands, California is the most populated state and the high prices limit even further growth. Sucks because even small homes are $500+K in nicer areas, so either it's a crap commute or rent...:mad:

On the pros-side, CA has decent surfing beaches, mountains for skiing and driving the passes, deserts for speeding, rolling praries, Nappa valley, Disneyland, Universal studios, Hollywood, and also Mulholland drive. Also, some of the best driving roads in the Americas. Oh, San Francisco, San Diego and their unique attractions...:D

Also, if measured independantly of the US, CA has the 5th biggest economy in the world.

Nerys
05-15-2006, 01:20 AM
Well the smarties on the right are British....Nestle

The smarties on the left arent proper smarties from Britain:p :D

Thats what makes Canada and US different, The Commonwealth!
Nestle isn't from Britain, the central office is in Switzerland. And yes, I'm a smarty-pants :D

carbrochuretom
05-15-2006, 01:46 AM
Lol, Staten Island is a safehaven compared to the Bronx, Brooklyn, and even Queens, specifically, Bushwick, Williamsburg, Bedford-Stuyvesant, Washington Heights, Harlem, et. al. :p

Oh yeh I forgot...I got followed by a strange man in Brooklyn, he was pissed and kinda looked like Al Capone actually except without the hat and the fat cigar. Maybe I was a bit harsh on Staten Island:D I was only there for an hour but I must have just been greeted with the Islands loonies. The NY State government should really consider relocating them lol...Canada lol:D jokes

carbrochuretom
05-15-2006, 01:47 AM
Nestle isn't from Britain, the central office is in Switzerland. And yes, I'm a smarty-pants :D
Bugger! My firends mum works for Nestle whytf didnt I know that lol:D well its still different lol:)

Egg Nog
05-15-2006, 02:03 AM
mosaic as in small areas of different cultures as opposed to all mixed together? i remember going to vancouver and there was a distinc indian/middle eastern area?

Here's a bit from Wikipedia - I typed out a response but deleted it because this is way easier to understand than what I attempted to write ;)

"Cultural Mosaic":

Cultural mosaic is a term used to describe the "patchwork quilt" of ethnic groups, languages and cultures that co-exist within Canadian society. The idea of a cultural mosaic is in contrast with that of a melting pot, which is often used to describe the United States' ideal of assimilation.

"Melting Pot":

The melting pot is a metaphor for the way in which homogenous societies develop, in which the ingredients in the pot (people of different cultures and religions) are combined so as to lose their discrete identities and yield a final product of uniform consistency and flavor, which is quite different from the original inputs. This process is also known as cultural assimilation.

Nerys
05-15-2006, 02:16 AM
Bugger! My firends mum works for Nestle whytf didnt I know that lol:D well its still different lol:)

We had to learn at school the history of many German contrivancers. It was awfully boring and I'm only delighted that I can finally tell someone this nonsense... :D

Matra et Alpine
05-15-2006, 04:54 AM
So why does the California DWR predicts that by 2020, California will experience water shortages of 2.4 million acre-feet (an acre-foot is about 326,000 gallons, a one-year supply for two families ) ?
Oh and STILL California is taking 25% MORE out of the Colorado River than was agreed !!!
Or has that been resolved since the last time I visited ?

San Diego was on warning of rolling power shortages last year, was htat also resolved ?

I've lived in both WA state and CA, and California is definitely the more desirable place to live.
Funny, almost EVERY WA person is happy that Californians dont' want to coem to WA and they have no intention of going to CA :D
But individual cases will vary :D

nota
05-15-2006, 05:07 AM
From the net :)

Smarties were invented by Rowntrees in York (UK) in 1937 and renamed as Smarties in the following year. Nestle bought the company (by then called Rowntrees Macintosh) after an earlier merger in 1988. Smarties are still manufactured in York

On 25 October, 2003, Kathryn Ratcliffe set a Guinness World Record by eating 138 Smarties in three minutes using chopsticks :eek:

Nerys
05-15-2006, 06:50 AM
From the net :)

Smarties were invented by Rowntrees in York (UK) in 1937 and renamed as Smarties in the following year. Nestle bought the company (by then called Rowntrees Macintosh) after an earlier merger in 1988. Smarties are still manufactured in York

Yes, smarties are British (former I thought it's from the U.S. :o ) but Nestlé not. ;)

On 25 October, 2003, Kathryn Ratcliffe set a Guinness World Record by eating 138 Smarties in three minutes using chopsticks :eek:
http://www.world-of-smilies.com/html/images/smilies/schockiert/scared6.gif http://www.world-of-smilies.com/html/images/smilies/party/kotz.gif

Matt
05-15-2006, 08:02 AM
The real reason Americans and Canadians has nothing to do with wars, logging or anything like that. It's a simple neighborly rivalry. Similar to having a rivalry with the next town over during football season. From what I've experienced, among the mass population (obviously there are psychos who hate Canada just for being liberal and not doing the bidding of the US), we like to poke fun at Canadians but have no real animosity.

PerfAdv
05-15-2006, 09:09 AM
So why does the California DWR predicts that by 2020, California will experience water shortages of 2.4 million acre-feet (an acre-foot is about 326,000 gallons, a one-year supply for two families ) ?
Oh and STILL California is taking 25% MORE out of the Colorado River than was agreed !!!
Or has that been resolved since the last time I visited ?
California has a chronic overuse problem not so much shortage...same difference. Granted water's always been in short supply, much is done to collect and bring water to the cities. LA wouldn't even exist if it wasn't for aquaducts bringing in water from surrounding mountains.

I remember when they'd have to ration water; no washing cars, no watering of lawns, etc. I haven't seen any evidence of shortages for years. Even roadside shrubery is watered almost daily...

Still, California is mostly likely to always have somewhat of a shortage as inland it is mostly arid, if not desert.

San Diego was on warning of rolling power shortages last year, was htat also resolved ?

It hasn't really made the news recently but yes SD did have rolling blackouts 4-5 years ago. It might happen again this summer...according to a Googled article I just skimmed. Part of the issue may lie in wanting to deregulate and privatize the energy industry...Swartzy is pushing for dereg. Still, I'm no expert of San Diego power issues...

Funny, almost EVERY WA person is happy that Californians dont' want to coem to WA and they have no intention of going to CA :D
But individual cases will vary :D

Washingtonians don't want Californians to come up but really CA couldn't care less if the webbed-foot greenies came South.:D WA's anti-CA stance might be a slight case of sour grapes.:D

Seattle is WA's biggest city and with the technology influx it was bursting at the seams. Metro-WA really can't accomodate any more people. The freeways and roads can't be expanded easily because of the terrain and numerous bridges. Also, with the increase in population came the CA style real estate balooning.:(

Matra et Alpine
05-15-2006, 09:50 AM
Seattle is WA's biggest city and with the technology influx it was bursting at the seams. Metro-WA really can't accomodate any more people. The freeways and roads can't be expanded easily because of the terrain and numerous bridges. Also, with the increase in population came the CA style real estate balooning.:(
yeah friends in Bellevue and Everett way.
one with views from well up Mt Cougar :D
CA not that pretty ever ( and I include Sausalito and further north -- more friends :) )
Course as we often say we are always biased to "like" countryside we are used to. Washington State is like Scotland with a few extra degrees in summer and best of all no midgies :D

zeta
05-15-2006, 10:22 AM
No doubt, there's no competing with the beaches in Florida. The beaches in California have more of a rugged beauty.:) Also, the water is too cold, unlike Florida's tropical waters. This doesn't really bother me but it is a big plus for beach-goers. What does suck about California are the real estate values. But as it stands, California is the most populated state and the high prices limit even further growth. Sucks because even small homes are $500+K in nicer areas, so either it's a crap commute or rent...:mad:

On the pros-side, CA has decent surfing beaches, mountains for skiing and driving the passes, deserts for speeding, rolling praries, Nappa valley, Disneyland, Universal studios, Hollywood, and also Mulholland drive. Also, some of the best driving roads in the Americas. Oh, San Francisco, San Diego and their unique attractions...:D

Also, if measured independantly of the US, CA has the 5th biggest economy in the world.

But Cali's economy is great tho,. california's has the most maufactoring of all the states, the massive entertainment industry, the #2 media center of the country, most of the auto design studios in the country,...

carbrochuretom
05-15-2006, 02:16 PM

Im struggling to understand why anyone would actually want to do that lol:D

Pando
05-15-2006, 02:42 PM
Those are rubbish reasons, in comparison the British and french almost have legitimate reasons to hate eachother.
...and you don't? That's news to me. :p

Matra et Alpine
05-15-2006, 03:24 PM
...and you don't? That's news to me. :p
The Scots and the French get on great ....
So do the Irish and the French ...
oh and the Welsh and the French too.....
ah wait the ENGLISH and the French -- yeah right there :D

h00t_h00t
05-15-2006, 04:14 PM
Scotland and Wales do as the English say, and so do some of the irish!

Now go die on the end of a sword while we....... count the money.... ;)

The_Canuck
05-15-2006, 06:25 PM
lol also a cool fact, More money flows through the Canada, U.S border then any other border in the entire world, or between ANY two countrys. 350+ billion a year, close to or over now 1 billion a day

Pando
05-15-2006, 06:48 PM
lol also a cool fact, More money flows through the Canada, U.S border then any other border in the entire world, or between ANY two countrys. 350+ billion a year, close to or over now 1 billion a day
Kinda like my bank account.

Matra et Alpine
05-16-2006, 06:52 AM
Scotland and Wales do as the English say, and so do some of the irish!

Now go die on the end of a sword while we....... count the money.... ;)
ha ha ha in your dreams.

When are you hoping to go to college/univ nd PAY FEES ?
( Scotland is free )
Or wait till you're 65 and dont' have a free bus pass ?
( All of Scotland ... free )
Or wait a few years until you are elderly, infirm and need care ?
( Scotland is free )

You've got it wrong :)
And BTW, just remember who is running "your" economy :D and who's principles they use to run it ( another Scot - Adam Smith :D )

We only LET the English think they are in charge :D

carbrochuretom
05-16-2006, 10:33 AM
ha ha ha in your dreams.

Yes all of Scotland is free....but for 1 bus a week!:D :D

Not that im dissing Ecosse there, cos im 1/4 Scottish myself and I like Scotland

Matra et Alpine
05-16-2006, 11:06 AM
Yes all of Scotland is free....but for 1 bus a week!:D :D
erm, STAGECOACH now owns every major bus company.
Guess what ? Scottish company, Scottish owners :D
Be proud of your roots !!!!!

h00t_h00t
05-16-2006, 04:24 PM
How can a Scot run the economy, people want you to spend their money not keep it for a rainy day. Then upon a rainy day occuring you STILL won't spend any money. :p

Also the average age someone dies in Glasgow is 50-something, care for the elderly is free because nobody makes it to 65.

Scotland is the most violent developed country in the world:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4257966.stm

Stabbing is so common that you want to consider it a public health issue, like heart disease or cancer
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/3750568.stm

You're all a bunch of tracksuit wearing thugs. ;)

Pando
05-16-2006, 08:08 PM
And BTW, just remember who is running "your" economy :D and who's principles they use to run it ( another Scot - Adam Smith :D )Haha! :D

Matra et Alpine
05-17-2006, 04:02 AM
How can a Scot run the economy, people want you to spend their money not keep it for a rainy day. Then upon a rainy day occuring you STILL won't spend any money. :p
Well MR Brown has pretty much all of your money under his control :)

Also the average age someone dies in Glasgow is 50-something, care for the elderly is free because nobody makes it to 65.
Typical ABUSE of statistics.
A deprived are of the EAST end of Glasgow has the highest.
5 miles away in the more affluent WEST end of Glasgow it's one of the best in Britain :D

Typical English ... they don't know the difference between Britain and Scotland adn the differnce between Bearsden and Easterhouse :(

However, Scottish health isn't one of the best ... down to all the money we spend on sweet fatty foods ---- remember Glasgow invented the deep fried mars bar !!!!

Coventrysucks
05-17-2006, 06:20 AM

England?

Are you thinking of the New Republic of Tonyland?

matek
05-17-2006, 06:31 AM
He'll be gone soon enough :p

Matra et Alpine
05-17-2006, 07:08 AM
He'll be gone soon enough :p
Dont' hold your breath thinking Gordon's any better !!
Once he's there he'll spin as fast as ole-tone did :(

h00t_h00t
05-17-2006, 04:51 PM
Typical English ... they don't know the difference between Britain and Scotland adn the differnce between Bearsden and Easterhouse :(

We don't care either tbh, do you care which part of london is better than another? Same thing.

Matra et Alpine
05-17-2006, 04:54 PM
We don't care either tbh, do you care which part of london is better than another? Same thing.
IN terms of thinking all of London is like Tower Hamlets OR Greenwich then I do care.
I hate the "broad brish" rubbish the media sometimes feeds the gullibel few :)

Zytek_Fan
05-17-2006, 07:18 PM
ha ha ha in your dreams.

When are you hoping to go to college/univ nd PAY FEES ?
( Scotland is free )
Or wait a few years until you are elderly, infirm and need care ?
( Scotland is free )

You've got it wrong :)
And BTW, just remember who is running "your" economy :D and who's principles they use to run it ( another Scot - Adam Smith :D )

I'm going to Uni in Scotland :D

Matra et Alpine
05-18-2006, 01:50 AM
I'm going to Uni in Scotland :D
Only for Scottish citizens. So you need to become resident ....
( except the elderly has a twist with seemingly retirees moving over the border to gain the benefits :D )

carbrochuretom
05-18-2006, 02:14 AM
erm, STAGECOACH now owns every major bus company.
Guess what ? Scottish company, Scottish owners :D
Be proud of your roots !!!!!
Well I learn something new everyday!:D

2ndclasscitizen
05-18-2006, 03:49 AM
( All of Scotland ... free )So how is it having a free bus pass? I imagine that's useful on your way to bingo.

IBrake4Rainbows
05-18-2006, 03:51 AM
^Ouch.

Seriously, When I go to Uni i'm moving to NZ. just rack up a student loan and then skip the country. It never has to be paid. Excellent.

Matra et Alpine
05-18-2006, 04:01 AM
So how is it having a free bus pass? I imagine that's useful on your way to bingo.
Hey uncalled for .... I've never gone to the bingo .... but when I DO get to the age where the only chances I've got is to pick up a good looking bingo player ... then I'll be there :D
Having competed with guys in their 80s I fully intend to be rallying till I drop !!!!!

2ndclasscitizen
05-18-2006, 04:05 AM
How do the other rallyers take to cars taking the stages at 50kmh with their right blinker on?

Matra et Alpine
05-18-2006, 04:47 AM
How do the other rallyers take to cars taking the stages at 50kmh with their right blinker on?
The two brothers who are in their 80s run an Escort Twin Cam fully prepped car and do NOT hang about -- so much so they dont' mind the odd "off" burying t in the forest during an event last year at some speed ( a few other cars had gone already and few more followed -- it was a sh!t of a corner at high speed )

If you think old guys run rally cars slowly then your childish exuberance exceeds your intelligence :D

Go watch Ragnotti on one of his outings for the Renault Historic Team !!
You will learn one day grasshopper :)

h00t_h00t
05-18-2006, 04:00 PM
I hate the "broad brish" rubbish the media sometimes feeds the gullibel few :)

Never heard of it, but then I don't pay much attention to what the media say or do.

Egg Nog
05-18-2006, 04:05 PM
^Ouch.

Seriously, When I go to Uni i'm moving to NZ. just rack up a student loan and then skip the country. It never has to be paid. Excellent.

As Spastik_Roach warns the authorities in advance...

clutch-monkey
05-18-2006, 04:07 PM
^Ouch.

slack :p i can pay off my student loan by working in the UK for 18 months :D

aNOBLEman
05-18-2006, 07:09 PM
I'm very surprised that noone has said anything about Hawaii. It is a very, very beautiful place although real estate is very, very pricey (average of $700,000 last I heard). Washington state is also a very beautiful place, that I know from personal experience. We stayed in a lodge on Mt. Rainier which was great and we also went to Mt. St. Helens, the rain forest, San Juan islands, all were great.

IBrake4Rainbows
05-20-2006, 01:26 AM
As Spastik_Roach warns the authorities in advance...

I lived there, I already have a record.;)