PDA

View Full Version : Subaru Forester STI

Spastik_Roach
03-15-2004, 05:52 PM
I stumbled across this on a strange Japanese site. Looks pretty cool!

http://car.biglobe.ne.jp/newcar/testdrive_report/200402/img/subaru-forester.jpg

http://car.biglobe.ne.jp/newcar/testdrive_report/200402/img/subaru-forester_001.jpg

Right now i'm trying to find more pictures of it, i'll post anymore I find.

http://www.bsmotoring.com/2004/images/jan31_3.jpg

http://www.subaru.co.jp/forester/stiversion/imgs/top01.jpg

http://www.subaru.co.jp/forester/stiversion/01/imgs/top.jpg

kiwitt
03-15-2004, 05:57 PM
It looks a little "boxy" for my liking. I can expect to get my deliveries from it ... he he.

Spastik_Roach
03-15-2004, 06:00 PM
Personally I think it looks great.

I also just found out Subaru make a MPV in Japan called Traviq.

whiteballz
03-19-2004, 02:32 AM
that is not right for a subaru! i dont think thats real.. the blue ones look okay, but the gold mags and shape look alot like the suzuki concept from tokyo! its not like subaru to make such a road racey version of on off roader! (even if it is STI)

Demaxy
03-19-2004, 08:58 PM
i'd have to agree with whiteballz. It would be rather pointless for them to make there most off-road capable vehicle, unsuited to the conditions in which it was origionally designed to handle. Those skirt kits would lower the ground claerance point from the being taken via the rear diff to the actual skirt kit, which means if anyone decided to go off road the skirt kit would be dragging and after a while the front spoiler would be scratched and shittty. After living in a house that has had a Subaru of some sort in the garage since 1997 (4 foresters), I'd doubt subaru would make such a compromise.

MikeMcLarenF1
03-19-2004, 11:57 PM
It IS wrong for subaru to make a "fast on the tarmac forester", since 1) the tarmac market is covered by the Impreza STi, and 2) the forester is gud for off-road, and shud stay that way. But really, how many times have you actually seen a person drive a off-road capable car more than 3km's off the road routinely, other than doing jobs? (which in this case you might want a cheaper off-roader like a hilux or a old jeep)

Out of all the foresters that are sold.... probably OVER half of them will never be used off-road. And since STi never makes a abundance of vehicles, the Foresters gonna find their homes fast, and ppl who buy them will be happy to keep them. and since other companies are making on-road SPORT off roaders :confused:, Subbie's gotta keep up.

Bottom line is, it's not a thought about practicality and usability, it's the market's demand. Subaru is just putting out a sport utility alternative that is safer, faster, and better handling ON-road than most of its competitors.

RX7 FC3S
03-20-2004, 12:17 AM
Are you sure it is something official? It could just be some Forester Fans making an unofficial "STi" version. To me, it looks more like a normal XT (the turbo version) with STi kits. However, I have to admit the pictures are quite professionally made.

I trully agree with the off road thing... I own a 00 Forester and I can count my off road trips with one hand. Probably would go for more camping or fishing after I grad (if I haven't trade it in for a better car).

Demaxy
03-20-2004, 07:34 AM
We regularly take ours off-road, every couple of weeks we take it to some off roading destination. However it is true, we would be a minority as more than 50% of off-road vehicles never leave the tarmac. Personally i think it might be an after market kit proffesionally made and installed and they bought the Sti badges (i wouldn't know where or how, dealer possibly or even wreckers). My point is the forester was designed origionally for a niche market and yes the XT was made for a slightly diffrent one but the origional design and functional properties are still kept as priority. The XT is great off-road to by the way, i drove my dads on North Stradbroke island in the old fire trails ect.

IL Duce
03-20-2004, 10:03 AM
Hey look at that!!! a Forester can look cool in the end!! :p

baddabang
03-20-2004, 03:38 PM
im kinda glad the subaru whent to a crossover edition of the forester. its made for the road so maby more will sell. because in all the commercials there off road and drifting around muddy corners. but i hope they dont target soccer moms :(

whiteballz
03-20-2004, 04:03 PM
i still say its photoshoped! maybe an aftermaket/specialy made kit, but i think that subaru makeing a on road sporty version of an off roader is wrong! i would put it down to STI fans, ive done things like that before with the old liberty/legacy. (STI kits etc) and well i just cant belive it. maybe those GM bastards are makeing them! :mad: lol...

whiteballz
03-20-2004, 04:10 PM
also those wheels are used on the suzuki lapin SS works! its a little thing... i cant put words to it...

ZerK
03-21-2004, 08:05 AM
I'm pretty certain I saw a Forester STI in Auto Express mag a week or two ago. Just a small mention in a side column, nothing big though...

;)

Spastik_Roach
03-21-2004, 08:39 PM
I got most of the pics of the official Japanese Subaru site, so no photoshops here...

whiteballz
03-22-2004, 12:34 AM
seems wrong but i dont think you would lead us astray... (suuure) ;) hahah

IBrake4Rainbows
03-22-2004, 02:17 AM
It is true, they made an sti version of the last subaru. I have seen one in NZ when i was last over there.

a little factoid on the Traviq previously mentioned: it's actually a Zafira.

Spastik_Roach
03-22-2004, 09:22 PM
Unless in Japan you can buy special photoshop goggles, and Subaru supply them with stock Foresters to make them look like STI models.

crisis
03-22-2004, 11:10 PM
It IS wrong for subaru to make a "fast on the tarmac forester", since 1) the tarmac market is covered by the Impreza STi, and 2) the forester is gud for off-road, and shud stay that way.
Subaru are quite within their right to make "so called" SUVs that are not designed for off road use. Everyone else does. These things, while driveable off road, certainly dont meet any of the criteria I use for choosing an off road vehicle. Try ground clearance and load capacity for example. Might be alright for two people. You have to change the tyres also.