PDA

View Full Version : Falcon GT v Holden GTS v Galant VR-4 v Legacy RS v Lancer EVO v WRX STi v Skyline GTR

kiwitt
03-15-2004, 08:41 PM
These cars are the hot ones in New Zealand.

I was wondering how they rate here in this forum.

(Rate any version of the series)
- Ford Falcon GT (includes GTHO versions)
- Holden GTS (includes classic Monaro GTS versions e.g. 327)
- Galant VR-4 (includes 1st, 2nd and 3rd Generation (mine))
- Legacy RS (includes B4 versions)
- Lancer EVO (any version)
- WRX STi (any version)
- Skyline GTR (r32, r33, r34)

Niko_Fx
03-15-2004, 08:49 PM
Place a poll, some ppl are just lazy to write..... like me. If you place one they'll get in and click on the one they like and done. And you will get much more feedback and if they want to write they'll write too..

Topic: They're all great cars, I love the STI.. Maybe that's the one I would choose tho I would have to check them all out before.

I saw your car, it looks pretty cool ;)

Niko_Fx
03-15-2004, 08:50 PM
Place a poll, some ppl are just lazy to write..... like me. If you place one they'll get in and click on the one they like and done. And you will get much more feedback and if they want to write they'll write too..

Topic: They're all great cars, I love the STI.. Maybe that's the one I would choose tho I would have to check them all out before.

I saw your car, it looks pretty cool ;)

Oh, the Skyline too... sorry I forgot it was on the list.

Niko_Fx
03-15-2004, 08:52 PM
The poll wasn't there when I wrote the first message...... I apologize.

Pliz
03-15-2004, 10:38 PM
the skyline gt-r has my back up all the way...by the way where in nz are you kiwitt? me im in auckland...

fpv_gtho
03-16-2004, 02:08 AM
for me its got to be a BAGT. its the fastest Falcon of all time and i think the only other GT that would compete on acceleration is a phase 3 HO with the close ratio box and 3.7:1 diff, but it wouldnt match the 250km/h top speed with that setup.

kiwitt
03-16-2004, 01:18 PM
the skyline gt-r has my back up all the way...by the way where in nz are you kiwitt? me im in auckland...

Also, Auckland ... The traffic stinks ... Nowhere to drive a performance car anymore.

fpv_gtho
03-16-2004, 10:36 PM
did anyone see that article in the paper where the Sydney police impounded almost 20 high performance cars illegally street racing and issued warnings to almost 60? with increasing traffic and police keeping their eyes open more it wont be long and the only place for high performance cars will be on the track

motorsportnerd
03-17-2004, 06:13 AM
I chose the Falcon for the above poll. However, I really like the Legacy/Liberty GT/B4 series as well. If my main priority was performance and looks, I'd go for the Falcon. If my main priority was for a low-key Q racer with refinement, I'd go for the Legacy. Both would have handling far beyound what I'd ever need, so that wouldn't be a factor. If I really was in the market for a A$60,000 car the choice would come down to which I most preferred driving, which dealer gave me the best deal, and which of the two was easiest to insure (probably neither would be cheap to insure).

If I still lived in NZ, I'd be on the lookout about now for a late 90s Legacy B4. I see in autopoint.co.nz that they've dropped below $20,000. Doubt they'll drop that low in Australia anytime soon. And the Falcon GTs are likely never to drop that low (more's the pity - $20,000 being my current limit).

fpv_gtho
03-17-2004, 06:26 AM
Well just under $20K is the normal price for a good condition, roadworthy classic GT, they usually hover between $10K and $20K with XR's and XT's being down the bottom, XB's and XA's being round the middle and XY's and XW's being up the top. The absolute top sellers are of course XY GTHO's that were actually raced, a Moffat Phase 3 would fetch around $150K over the normal $75K for a street Phase 3

kiwitt
03-17-2004, 01:43 PM
I picked mine up for NZ$15,000 :D

ace
03-17-2004, 04:28 PM
:D no prizes for guessing what I voted for :D

crisis
03-17-2004, 05:17 PM
:D no prizes for guessing what I voted for :D
They're a beautiful thing. I used to have a white HQ LS. Stock 253 which wasnt all that exciting but I love the styling.

motorsportnerd
03-17-2004, 06:58 PM
Well just under $20K is the normal price for a good condition, roadworthy classic GT, they usually hover between $10K and $20K with XR's and XT's being down the bottom, XB's and XA's being round the middle and XY's and XW's being up the top. The absolute top sellers are of course XY GTHO's that were actually raced, a Moffat Phase 3 would fetch around $150K over the normal $75K for a street Phase 3

I should have said BA GT in my nomination. I wouldn't buy a classic unless I had plenty of room to store it - which I don't.

fpv_gtho
03-17-2004, 11:58 PM
alot of enthusiasts are sticking their noses up at the BA GT for its smoothness and for its softness relative to past GT's. probably down to the Phase 2 seems to be the enthusiasts choice with its higher redline and roughness of the engine, but i guess for today thats not what you want for 60K

motorsportnerd
03-18-2004, 01:09 AM
alot of enthusiasts are sticking their noses up at the BA GT for its smoothness and for its softness relative to past GT's. probably down to the Phase 2 seems to be the enthusiasts choice with its higher redline and roughness of the engine, but i guess for today thats not what you want for 60K

I like refinement and smoothness. A bit of power doesn't go astry, either. But I've lost any urge to v-max a car these days. I like my licence to much... So a BA GT or Liberty GT would provide everything I need in a car...

fpv_gtho
03-18-2004, 01:21 AM
i would personally rather a BA GT as well for its refinement, combined sports/luxury ride and for its handling prowess, all 3 especially compared to an old XA or XY GT. some people like their cars riding like a brick but at the same time staying reasonably stable through corners. some people like a certain huskiness in their engines note at higher revs, but i think everyone likes the feeling of the engine being able to shake the car at idel, so FPV especially engineered that trait into the GT

Falcon500
03-18-2004, 04:02 AM
Well the TE50 also had a lumpy idel which got some disgust with some jurnos i read (not wheelsmind you this was an internet based mag which i no longer look at thisis one of the reasons why) and they said the eengine sounds like it wants to die at 5something thousand rpm ive heard them at that and i think they where wingeing for the sake of it...

fpv_gtho
03-18-2004, 05:32 AM
Well the TE50 had the stroker motor which was about as smooth as a Commodore V6. Wheels reckon that under 2000rpm its got a meaty growl, between 2K and 4K it livens up into a great bellow but after about 4K it starts getting raspy......obviously the engine showing its age. really though when i say people like the roughness of old GT's compared to the BA, i pretty much mean you could really feel what an XY was doing when you drove it. drive a BA and it holds itself firmly around corners, absorbs all the bumps and will do a u turn with a flick of a wrist. well in an XY you'll feel every little bump on the road, almost have the car topple over around sharp corners and give your arms a good workout turning the corners

Spastik_Roach
03-22-2004, 11:01 PM
First place tie between FalconGTHO,EL Falcon GT, and Skyline GT-R. But when the new Skyline comes out in 2006 something it will blow the pink spotted socks of everything here (400HP!)

fpv_gtho
03-23-2004, 12:03 AM
surely you mean just the Falcon GT series and GTR's in a tie, by which now the WRX STI's caught up

Spastik_Roach
03-23-2004, 09:46 PM
Yeah I do mean that :)

rikikin
03-24-2004, 04:31 AM
I chose the skylen because there is only one of the r34 and two maby tree of the older ones here in finland but it prety close betwen the and the evo but you kan se one on every day so theres nothing that special about them.

GT500
03-24-2004, 05:47 PM
meh.....I lvoe the STi. Great Car. My favorite. (GT500 is my second fav, already used the STi on another forum :) )