PDA

View Full Version : major embarrassment!

DesmoRob
05-25-2006, 11:57 PM
I got pulled over tonight for running a stop sign. Only problem was I was riding my dad's yamaha scooter:o . Having to pull over to the side of the road in that thing was probably the most humiliating thing that's ever happened to me. I kept my helmet on and stared at the ground the entire time they were writing me the ticket. I don't know why, but for some reason I just don't take road rules as seriously as I do when I'm driving a car. It's a freaking scooter, but I guess that doesn't give me any sympathy privileges. Oh well, its in the past now. Now I'm going to find something masculine to do to take my mind off it.

henk4
05-25-2006, 11:59 PM
I have a cousin who used to be a policeman in Calgary. He tought me the concept of the "rolling stop", which he always applied. Apparently this concept has not migrated from Alberta to BC:D

DesmoRob
05-26-2006, 12:01 AM
I have a cousin who used to be a policeman in Calgary. He tought me the concept of the "rolling stop", which he always applied. Apparently this concept has not migrated from Alberta to BC:D

I dont like stopping because it gives people a chance to look at me.

henk4
05-26-2006, 12:03 AM
I dont like stopping because it gives people a chance to look at me.

but you have your helmet on so people don't need to be embarrassed?

DesmoRob
05-26-2006, 12:11 AM
but you have your helmet on so people don't need to be embarrassed?

true....but still!:( Yea I don't actually mind it thaat much, it took me a while to get used to though. People still laugh, but at least it costs me like nothing to go places.

henk4
05-26-2006, 12:15 AM
true....but still!:( Yea I don't actually mind it thaat much, it took me a while to get used to though. People still laugh, but at least it costs me like nothing to go places.

it does make sense not to use a car. You might even want to consider a bicycle:D

DesmoRob
05-26-2006, 12:19 AM
it does make sense not to use a car. You might even want to consider a bicycle:D

haha I used to do that on occasion before we got the scooter. But I thought with the scooter its worth the 4 bucks to fill the tank every 100km.

pimento
05-26-2006, 12:25 AM
I pondered a scooter for a while.. before my friends threatened to disown me. Given I already drive a mini, I already have the fuel miser thing going on.

henk4
05-26-2006, 12:42 AM
I pondered a scooter for a while.. before my friends threatened to disown me. Given I already drive a mini, I already have the fuel miser thing going on.

I had not even realised that driving a scooter over there was seen in such a negative way. Try the French Cote d'Azur and you will be very popular, and at the same time you will move, rather than getting clogged up in a car queue. Over here, in holland, they are very popular too, witnessed by the insurance premiums which are very high because of the immense theft inccurance...

drakkie
05-26-2006, 12:56 AM
Over here, in holland, they are very popular too, witnessed by the insurance premiums which are very high because of the immense theft inccurance...

No insurance for SCOOTERs is high because of the very high crash rate. four f my friends have a scooter, and 2 of them crashed it and insurance paid for a new one... For any other kind of twowheelsandansmallenginetransportation:) the insurance is rather low (around 100€ a year for a Puch,compared to 3-500€ for a scooter).
still nothing compared to car insurance for young males (3-500€ a month !!!!!:(:()

pimento
05-26-2006, 01:12 AM
I had not even realised that driving a scooter over there was seen in such a negative way. Try the French Cote d'Azur and you will be very popular, and at the same time you will move, rather than getting clogged up in a car queue. Over here, in holland, they are very popular too, witnessed by the insurance premiums which are very high because of the immense theft inccurance...

Yea, there's some very silly connotations over here. To be totally honest though, the only reason I don't have one is that I can't afford it. :( It's be much nicer than catching the train every day to work.

drakkie
05-26-2006, 02:38 AM
Yea, there's some very silly connotations over here. To be totally honest though, the only reason I don't have one is that I can't afford it. :( It's be much nicer than catching the train every day to work.

I really doubted about getting one.But in the end i didnt, i'll bike the 6kilomtres to school.Much cheaper/safer and heathier :p I did drive some without license :) Great fun to do especially at high speeds (once did 140km/h :))

coolieman1220
05-26-2006, 05:37 PM
u kno, i ride my bike wit friends down a huge hill and most of the time i dun stop for the stop sign. all way stop and i just blow right thru it. not that smart bt havn't gotten stopped yet

targa
05-27-2006, 10:41 PM
I got pulled over tonight for running a stop sign. Only problem was I was riding my dad's yamaha scooter:o . Having to pull over to the side of the road in that thing was probably the most humiliating thing that's ever happened to me. I kept my helmet on and stared at the ground the entire time they were writing me the ticket. I don't know why, but for some reason I just don't take road rules as seriously as I do when I'm driving a car. It's a freaking scooter, but I guess that doesn't give me any sympathy privileges. Oh well, its in the past now. Now I'm going to find something masculine to do to take my mind off it.that's the funniest thing ever

Zondaboy1
05-28-2006, 08:48 PM
my friends got an old crappy scooter that goes about 30. we hotlap around his block but i dont know my official time (timed by an ipod stopwatch)

PerfAdv
05-29-2006, 03:22 PM
I got pulled over tonight for running a stop sign. Only problem was I was riding my dad's yamaha scooter:o . Having to pull over to the side of the road in that thing was probably the most humiliating thing that's ever happened to me. I kept my helmet on and stared at the ground the entire time they were writing me the ticket. I don't know why, but for some reason I just don't take road rules as seriously as I do when I'm driving a car. It's a freaking scooter, but I guess that doesn't give me any sympathy privileges. Oh well, its in the past now. Now I'm going to find something masculine to do to take my mind off it.
Why is it embarrassing to ride a scooter? Associated with greenies, girls, or just a cheap motorcycle substitute?:confused: I like scooters but it'd be suicide to ride amongst fast moving SUVs.

Matra et Alpine
05-29-2006, 04:17 PM
in the UK a scooter is NOT cool.
Grannies and old guys working as security guards is about it.

Actually, maybe not so in the south of England where the sun shines for longer than 4 hours of one day someitime in the mythical season called "summer" :D

"real" guys go for bikes asap.
So much so that the scooter makers started producing "scooter machanics" hiding under the looks of a MotoGp bike !!!
SOOOOOO funny hearing these little Aprilias SCREAMING their heads off --- coz nobody rides em slow here either :D

targa
05-29-2006, 05:45 PM
in the UK a scooter is NOT cool.'cause that's what's important

Matra et Alpine
05-29-2006, 05:47 PM
'cause that's what's important
You're saying that when you're 16 cool DOES or DOESN'T matter ??

targa
05-29-2006, 05:56 PM
You're saying that when you're 16 cool DOES or DOESN'T matter ??it does and doesn't

I would have ridden a scooter, and it would have been bad ass

cool is all in how you look at it

DesmoRob
05-29-2006, 09:20 PM
it does and doesn't

I would have ridden a scooter, and it would have been bad ass

cool is all in how you look at it

You're very correct, but too bad the cool I'm most concerned in (for now) is the looks of the thing, and it is NOT cool. It even has that little bubble trunk add on. It's a pretty fag ride, but what is cool is it costs me $4 CAD to fill the tank.

PerfAdv
05-29-2006, 10:14 PM
in the UK a scooter is NOT cool.
Grannies and old guys working as security guards is about it.

Actually, maybe not so in the south of England where the sun shines for longer than 4 hours of one day someitime in the mythical season called "summer" :D

"real" guys go for bikes asap.
So much so that the scooter makers started producing "scooter machanics" hiding under the looks of a MotoGp bike !!!
SOOOOOO funny hearing these little Aprilias SCREAMING their heads off --- coz nobody rides em slow here either :D
Scooters aren't exactly widely accepted here either but they have sort of a Euro-chic image. It seems you've got to be dressed for the French Riviera if you've got one...:rolleyes: The scarf, trendy looking open helmet, funny colored pants...:D Afterall bikes ARE all about image:

Bikes have a badboy image, especially hyperbikes.
Harleys, outlaw badboy.
My fav is the naked bike, Ducati Monster's are COOL. :D

DesmoRob
05-29-2006, 10:43 PM
My fav is the naked bike, Ducati Monster's are COOL. :D

If you like those, then you will love the MV Agusta Brutale.

PerfAdv
05-29-2006, 11:21 PM
If you like those, then you will love the MV Agusta Brutale.
V. very nice!! Plus it won't have desmodromic maintenance issues.

DesmoRob
05-29-2006, 11:33 PM
V. very nice!! Plus it won't have desmodromic maintenance issues.

I'm not sure how reliable MV's are, but they sure as hell run and look amazing. They are the Ferrari of bikes, and that's a fact actually. Ferrari has helped design the engine for certain models, if not all. I don't know the exact details, but I do know Ferrari works or has worked with MV Agusta, on their bikes.:cool:

PerfAdv
05-29-2006, 11:53 PM
I'm not sure how reliable MV's are, but they sure as hell run and look amazing. They are the Ferrari of bikes, and that's a fact actually. Ferrari has helped design the engine for certain models, if not all. I don't know the exact details, but I do know Ferrari works or has worked with MV Agusta, on their bikes.:cool:
I don't know the latest stats but a few years ago when I read comparos and such, the Japanese machines were untouchable. I like the Standard look of Naked and they aren't really any slower or worse handling than faired hyperbikes. In that way the MV is a winner. I don't really care for ultimate performance potential, even an avg bike is very faaaaaaaaaaaaast!:D

I also like Moto Guzzi. Just the flair of those Italian machines if not pure performance is unbeatable.

DesmoRob
05-30-2006, 07:23 AM
I also like Moto Guzzi. Just the flair of those Italian machines if not pure performance is unbeatable.

The Italians never cease to amaze me with their knack for art and design:).

Matra et Alpine
05-30-2006, 07:25 AM
The Italians never cease to amaze me with their knack for art and design:).
and then muck it up with lousy electronics :(

DesmoRob
05-30-2006, 07:30 AM
and then muck it up with lousy electronics :(

:D , that's exactly why I refrained from giving them praise for anything other than their design. Well they have a mixed rep when it comes to reliability, I've heard extremely good and extremely bad.

DesmoRob
05-30-2006, 07:31 AM
Well off to school for me:(. Talk to you guys tonight!

quattro_20v
05-30-2006, 09:14 AM
still nothing compared to car insurance for young males (3-500€ a month !!!!!:(:()

Huh? I am under 24 and I pay a lot less with a quite expensive car... still about 900 euros a year tho.

Matra et Alpine
05-30-2006, 09:34 AM
I know my record IS stuck but have you looked into kit car insurance :D
Coudl save you a fortune AND get you a decent car to drive around in instead of a slow, clunky Euro box.

DesmoRob
06-04-2006, 12:17 AM
Damnit, some guy in a huge truck laughed at me today on the scooter. At least he has to pay about 20 times the amount I do for gas:p. The self-conscious wuss.

PerfAdv
06-04-2006, 02:00 AM
Damnit, some guy in a huge truck laughed at me today on the scooter. At least he has to pay about 20 times the amount I do for gas:p. The self-conscious wuss.
Exactly, he's compensating for all the crying he does at the gas station...;)

DesmoRob
06-04-2006, 10:26 PM
Today was a good day, I overtook a guy in a van. It took me like half a minute, but I did it:p.