PDA

View Full Version : The A3 :Would it really dominate?

kinan.f
05-05-2003, 05:41 AM
Audi has introduced its new baby the 3rd generation A3 in world markets.The new car is supposed to accomplish the mission the A3 was originally designed for : Dominate the premium compact class.
Just to mention that the previous version of the A3 recieved a number of awards when it was launched at 1996...
We may wonder if it would succeed in its mision especially that there is tough competition in this category today.
http://www.audiworld.com/news/03/a3/a3001.jpg
http://www.audiworld.com/news/03/a3/a3002.jpg
http://www.audiworld.com/news/03/a3/a3003.jpg

motorhead
05-07-2003, 07:17 AM
conservative subtle yet beautiful, very beautiful looks, vey audi like though and that stunning interior(i have seen it) ans that performace potential - let it blow the 147 GTA AWAY for GOOD

motorhead
05-07-2003, 07:18 AM
in s3 form

kinan.f
05-07-2003, 08:13 AM
As Audi is intending to provide powerful V6 engine reaching 217 bhp I'd think this is tough player.

fargi
05-07-2003, 09:08 AM
motorhead
let it blow the 147 GTA AWAY for GOOD

Wow! Do you really think it is a bad thing that the 147 GTA is a better car than the last S3?

This new A3 design is sooooo boring by its similarity with the old one! It seems that Audi doesn't want to take any risk: innovating? Huh, too dangerous.

I'm really disppointed. It is so overexpensive compared to its concurrents, and I really don't see why

ozi
05-07-2003, 10:13 AM
all audi cars are to expensive for what they give (performance, looks...) and it goes from bottom to top: A2 is the worst, A3 is chaos (1.8 T quatro costs 30 000 euro in croatia), A4 is relativly ok, A6 is very good and A8 is great... not to mension TT. its BS exept bi-moto that one is ok

but audi is better than bmw

Haboo
05-07-2003, 03:35 PM
well ,the VW Golf is the queen of this category....

motorhead
05-10-2003, 12:17 AM
audi is THE KING OF GERMANY

Nash
05-13-2003, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by motorhead
audi is THE KING OF GERMANY

How do you figure? I disagree.

motorhead
05-13-2003, 08:05 PM
well top me they are but maybe not to you - its up to what you like

IBrake4Rainbows
05-17-2003, 02:15 AM
The new Audi S3 is meant to have 217 BHp, correct? from a 3.2 V6 motor, correct? The Alfa Romeo 147 GTA has 250 BHP, right? from a 3.2 V6? something doesn't add up in saying the Alfa will be wasted, unless the Audi is really light, (lets face it, it won't be...) it doesn't stand a chance, and due to Volkswagens notorious (in australia, anyway) poor suspension record, it will not dominate. once you factor in price ( the S3 is bound to be more expensive, Audi is worth more than Alfa) and desirability ( Audi has the resale, Alfa has the Passion) it really is a simple equation. italians have a grasp on this market. Now, where'd that pesky R32 go....

kinan.f
10-04-2003, 09:01 AM
Audi has unveiled the top model of the A3 range & surprisingly it isn't named after its predecessor (the former S3).Instead,it is called the A3 3.2 Quattro leaving the door open for some rumours that an S3 or even RS3 model with 300bhp V6 will be on roads in a couple of years time.

http://www.topgear.com/content/cars/cars/A2/B6/roadtests/17images/01big.gif http://www.topgear.com/content/cars/cars/A2/B6/roadtests/17images/02big.gif

For now you should convince your self with its 250 bhp V6 unit with top speed of 258 kmh with a choice of six-speed transmissions - manual or DSG (Direct Shift Gearbox) and the latter has proved to be foolproof(adapts to the way the driver demands power from the engine:traffic jam,highway,...etc).
Downsides of this car are,according to TopGear,are its brakes & its steering.You may refer to TG (http://www.topgear.com/servlet/tg?DEST=/content/jsp/individualRoadTest.jsp&EVENT=1010&MAKE=Audi:A2&MODEL=A3%203.2%20Quattro:B6&roadTestNumber=17.html) website for more details.
Otherwise,the car is comfortable,solid,....etc as a good 3dr hatch should be.

http://www.topgear.com/content/cars/cars/A2/B6/roadtests/17images/03big.gif http://www.topgear.com/content/cars/cars/A2/B6/roadtests/17images/04big.gif http://www.topgear.com/content/cars/cars/A2/B6/roadtests/17images/05big.gif

white devil
10-04-2003, 02:12 PM
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh com on man look at it it s the coppy of
VW GOLF.
even though the golf will stay the best in this catagory

white devil
10-04-2003, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by white devil
VW GOLF.

Misho
10-06-2003, 12:39 PM
The R32 is a much better performance car and the upcoming design will be great for those looking at entry-level models. so i dont really see point of getting this car.
all will change however if they ever introduce that claimed RS3 model with 300 hp !! That will move this segment into a whole new level.

kinan.f
10-06-2003, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Misho
The R32 is a much better performance car and the upcoming design will be great for those looking at entry-level models.

That is true but any way I like this car more than the Golf.

white devil
10-06-2003, 01:28 PM
No pro every body has his opignion .but i would like them to make somthig different do you see what i mean:D

kinan.f
10-06-2003, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by white devil
No pro every body has his opignion .but i would like them to make somthig different do you see what i mean:D

crystal clear !!

UnamedSupercar
10-06-2003, 09:44 PM
I'll support Audi either way. I'm a big Audi and Jaguar fan. Really the only euro car makers I support. Honestly this is the first time I've laid eyes on the thing. Not bad as far as compacts go. Pure Audi, clearly. I understand some people clearly don't like Audi designs. And thats all well and good. I believe all car makers adhere to a general theme. Which is very apparent in every generation of vehicles they produce. Some people just don't like the feel. I mean I dispise mercedes and ferrari and porsche just because I don't like the feel and theme. But I hope Audi does well in that particular market. Go Audi.

DH

white devil
10-08-2003, 01:52 PM
this one will :D

white devil
10-08-2003, 01:54 PM
the 2005 bmw 1 seiries
wait and you will see:p

quackman
10-08-2003, 02:07 PM
hooray for bimmers!
1 series is gonna be awesome

white devil
10-09-2003, 04:02 PM
what do you think who will
i think that VW have to start to be carful because BMW is coming
lol
for now the r32will but when theBMW 1 seireis arrive s
bye bye VW

BMW gooooooooooo:D

badboybarge
10-09-2003, 10:10 PM
im really liking the new small 3dr cars, here's another one i like!

badboy

vahram
11-06-2003, 05:57 PM
i think it well for sure last in the euro markets and even maybe in the american markets:D

Alfahollic
11-07-2003, 04:41 AM
Lets not forget in 2005 ALFA ROMEO bring out the 147 GTAM AUTODELTA (3.6 V6 JTS 340hp, 4wd) Hehe should get really interesting.

vahram
11-07-2003, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by Alfahollic
Lets not forget in 2005 ALFA ROMEO bring out the 147 GTAM AUTODELTA (3.6 V6 JTS 340hp, 4wd) Hehe should get really interesting.

alfa's cannot survie in american markets like audi, BMW or VW

bum-man
11-07-2003, 03:02 PM
how can you even say that when they have not been in the US market for several years...they could quite possibly do very well if the price is right. personally i hope they do well when they come back to the US since most alfas are beautiful and im getting board of all the marks that established themsevles except for Merc of course:D BRING ON MORE EURO CARS!!!

Alfahollic
11-07-2003, 07:12 PM
alfa's cannot survie in american markets like audi, BMW or VW

Yer, I guess you'd know :confused:

And that car is very ugly.

vahram
11-07-2003, 07:34 PM
Yer, I guess you'd know :confused:

And that car is very ugly.

compared to any car even a dodge... alfa's r crap they well always be crap

Alfahollic
11-07-2003, 07:37 PM
Nice come back. Really what kind of comment is that? Crap in what area mate?

kennyknoxville
12-05-2003, 03:13 PM
they shold supercharge it and badge it as an s or an rs.

the a3 reeks of mediocrity. its not a cheap japanese grocery getter, and it doesnt have the hype of cars like the r32 golf. im betting people can get more for what audi will sell it for.

the bimmer 1 looks sweet tho.

white devil
12-05-2003, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by kennyknoxville
the bimmer 1 looks sweet tho. [/B]
it is but i think there wont be any 6 sylynders for this car so it might not compete with the r32 but i read that there will be the 2 siries and that should be competing with the golf :D

RS6
12-07-2003, 03:43 PM
The 1 series will support 125i and 130i 6 cylinder power with the 130i developing 231 bhp. Not enough for the Golf R32 which might have up to 300 bhp by the time the 1 series comes out.

white devil
12-08-2003, 02:05 PM
I beleive BMW could do way better then this for ex look at the M3 it s a 6 sylinder car with much more horspower so i think if that is the case they might not have designed this car to compete with the golf :confused:

Alfahollic
12-10-2003, 04:38 AM
I beleive BMW could do way better then this for ex look at the M3 it s a 6 sylinder car with much more horspower so i think if that is the case they might not have designed this car to compete with the golf

Of course BMW could do better than this, most car manufactures can always better themselves, getting more poewer from the engine for example. However they have to fix a price so that it wont be to expensive and have no chance in the market.

white devil
12-10-2003, 02:29 PM
Of course BMW could do better than this, most car manufactures can always better themselves, getting more poewer from the engine for example. However they have to fix a price so that it wont be to expensive and have no chance in the market.

i guess you are right but still adding a biyt more hp wont affect the frice much :(

RS6
12-10-2003, 04:00 PM
It is designed to compete with the slightly more prestige cars like the A3 and the C-Class Coupe. This is like say the difference between, the family class, Mondeo, Vectra, etc, and the compact exec class, 3-Series, C-Class, etc

dolphingrey
09-13-2004, 06:06 AM
According to CAR magazine in the UK,the new S3 has just been confirmed as a 2.0-litre 4,turbo with 260BHP 0-62 in 6.5 and a top speed of 155mph.Seems hardly worth it i think a re-map's in order!!!
Audi has unveiled the top model of the A3 range & surprisingly it isn't named after its predecessor (the former S3).Instead,it is called the A3 3.2 Quattro leaving the door open for some rumours that an S3 or even RS3 model with 300bhp V6 will be on roads in a couple of years time.

http://www.topgear.com/content/cars/cars/A2/B6/roadtests/17images/01big.gif http://www.topgear.com/content/cars/cars/A2/B6/roadtests/17images/02big.gif

For now you should convince your self with its 250 bhp V6 unit with top speed of 258 kmh with a choice of six-speed transmissions - manual or DSG (Direct Shift Gearbox) and the latter has proved to be foolproof(adapts to the way the driver demands power from the engine:traffic jam,highway,...etc).
Downsides of this car are,according to TopGear,are its brakes & its steering.You may refer to TG (http://www.topgear.com/servlet/tg?DEST=/content/jsp/individualRoadTest.jsp&EVENT=1010&MAKE=Audi:A2&MODEL=A3%203.2%20Quattro:B6&roadTestNumber=17.html) website for more details.
Otherwise,the car is comfortable,solid,....etc as a good 3dr hatch should be.

http://www.topgear.com/content/cars/cars/A2/B6/roadtests/17images/03big.gif http://www.topgear.com/content/cars/cars/A2/B6/roadtests/17images/04big.gif http://www.topgear.com/content/cars/cars/A2/B6/roadtests/17images/05big.gif

QuattroMan
09-13-2004, 11:46 AM
all audi cars are to expensive for what they give (performance, looks...) and it goes from bottom to top: A2 is the worst, A3 is chaos (1.8 T quatro costs 30 000 euro in croatia), A4 is relativly ok, A6 is very good and A8 is great... not to mension TT. its BS exept bi-moto that one is ok

but audi is better than bmw

AAAAAAMMMMMAAAANNNNNN!!!! OZI.......

SPN:DOC
09-13-2004, 10:33 PM
VW GOLF.

The A3 is a Golf underneath, it’s a higher class golf… and yes it is much better... ,for what it is… the A3 is better then the golf without a doubt, but the golf is better over all due to the prices of both cars… I love the Audi A3 design and I think it’s the best looking small car… :)

RedWingsFanG
09-14-2004, 11:41 AM
I myself drive an Audi A3.

It's a great car, really, fast, good looking, good quality, good handling, great brakes.

It has not much space, neither as sportback nor as "normal" version, and yes, it's more expensive then a Golf.
But I never cared about that....

Right now I am about to choose the BMW 120d as my next car instead of the Audi A3 2.0 TDI.

Why? I like the opportunity to own a rear drive car!

Friday, September 18th is the date for the release here in good ol' Germany, and I am already looking forward to that date and a test drive.

After that, I will ofcourse share my feelings with you.

BTW, I don't like the Golf - and yes, it's quite expensive as well for a "Volkswagen". And the quality for sure has decreased form the Golf IV to the Golf V.

QuattroMan
09-15-2004, 09:44 AM
I myself drive an Audi A3.

It's a great car, really, fast, good looking, good quality, good handling, great brakes.

It has not much space, neither as sportback nor as "normal" version, and yes, it's more expensive then a Golf.
But I never cared about that....

Right now I am about to choose the BMW 120d as my next car instead of the Audi A3 2.0 TDI.

Why? I like the opportunity to own a rear drive car!

Friday, September 18th is the date for the release here in good ol' Germany, and I am already looking forward to that date and a test drive.

After that, I will ofcourse share my feelings with you.

BTW, I don't like the Golf - and yes, it's quite expensive as well for a "Volkswagen". And the quality for sure has decreased form the Golf IV to the Golf V.

I wish I lived in Germany so can drive on the AUTO BON you lucky dude...I work for Audi here in U.S and we are not getting the coupe only 4 door hb that is to baddddddd!

RedWingsFanG
09-15-2004, 11:34 AM
Ups, that is really bad.
The 2-door A3 is a beauty, for sure.
And yes, you can use all of it's horspower on the Autobahn, of course only if there is no traffic jam. :D

But I am sure that the BMW 120d will be awesome, too.

QuattroMan
09-15-2004, 12:58 PM
Ups, that is really bad.
The 2-door A3 is a beauty, for sure.
And yes, you can use all of it's horspower on the Autobahn, of course only if there is no traffic jam. :D

But I am sure that the BMW 120d will be awesome, too.

my cousin lives in GERMANY, BERLIN he has the s3 and his brother has the rs4 there not to crazy for the BMW they say that Audi is a much better car....