PDA

View Full Version : Finally something on TV

NAZCA C2
03-17-2004, 08:17 PM
I just got done watching a pretty cool movie on the NASCAR channel (thats SPEED TV). It was about the 1972 World Manufacturers Championship. It had commentary from the drivers and real archive footage of the races. There were a bunch of cool cars like the Alfa Romeo 33/3, Ferrari 512, and even some Matra's. Watch this program if you are a motorsport fan!
It's on again tonight (Wednesday, March 17 at 12am est).http://www.speedtv.com/index.php

henk4
03-18-2004, 04:25 AM
Pity we can't get that here, and the Ferrari you saw is most likely the 312PB, as the championship was for 3 litre cars, like the Alfa and the Matra.

Matra et Alpine
03-18-2004, 05:27 AM
It's on again tonight (Wednesday, March 17 at 12am est).http://www.speedtv.com/index.php
Can anyone do a digital capture and make it avalable for me and henk4 ??
please ? :)

henk4
03-18-2004, 05:34 AM
Can anyone do a digital capture and make it avalable for me and henk4 ??
please ? :)

Very good idea, would greatly appreciate that,does it matter that the USA has the VHS system and we are using PAL over here?

Matra et Alpine
03-18-2004, 06:03 AM
Very good idea, would greatly appreciate that,does it matter that the USA has the VHS system and we are using PAL over here?
My other hobby is video :) and I'm going to sound nerdy :)
VHS is the recording method and is used in both systems.
The American system is NTSC ( Never Twice Same Colour ) and Europe is PAL ( and French SECAM - nuff said :) )
For analogue tape it needs a player capable of reading the different format - most modern VHS can do that.
For computer digital it makes no difference as the output is to computer screen. For video-out applications on computer it can introdcue some artefacts, but these are easily handled in video editor and post-processing reather than real-time conversion.
So if it's captured by anyone with a video-in on their computer in any of the hi res modes then it will be fine.

henk4
03-18-2004, 06:23 AM
My other hobby is video :) and I'm going to sound nerdy :)
VHS is the recording method and is used in both systems.
The American system is NTSC ( Never Twice Same Colour ) and Europe is PAL ( and French SECAM - nuff said :) )
For analogue tape it needs a player capable of reading the different format - most modern VHS can do that.
For computer digital it makes no difference as the output is to computer screen. For video-out applications on computer it can introdcue some artefacts, but these are easily handled in video editor and post-processing reather than real-time conversion.
So if it's captured by anyone with a video-in on their computer in any of the hi res modes then it will be fine.

Very nerdy indeed, in short there is no problem. Just wondering why I can't play videos or DVD's bought in the USA or Canada. I used to have a player that could handle both systems, but that broke down. Furthermore I am of the generation that will ask its children to program the video because I never managed. ;)

Matra et Alpine
03-18-2004, 06:34 AM
Very nerdy indeed, in short there is no problem. Just wondering why I can't play videos or DVD's bought in the USA or Canada. I used to have a player that could handle both systems, but that broke down.
Ah, you've fallen foul of the nasty scheme the film industry created to allow them to continue to charge higher prices for DVDs in different regions.
Your DVD in your PC has become 'region locked'.
You are 'allowed' 5 changes of region before the drive MUST lock to the last region used - be thankful it didn't lock to the less popular region for you !!
Fortunately, although the scheme is implemented in each drive there is usually a region-free-hack also available for a drive. Suggest you do a search for "region hack" and your DVD drive model. It's a relatively easy exercise - though needs some care.
I don't have any concern breaking this 'law' as it is plainly wrong and is only in the interests of the profit publishers can screw from different markets. In free-market that is wrong !! You can make your own moral call on it.

For video capture their are none of the DVD issues until it is written to a writable DVD. Then the writer can shose to define region or leave region free. All DVDs should be region free.

I'm expecting that if anyoen can capture the program then we could arrange a network place to share the file through.

henk4
03-18-2004, 06:38 AM
I understand may be 10% of what you are saying. I know that I have a Daewoo DVD/Video player but whether it regio free? Wouldn't have a clue. May be I should check the manual.

Anyway, I am fully confident that if somebody manages to record this film in one way or another we will be able to see it and that is what is most important.

Matra et Alpine
03-18-2004, 08:06 AM
I understand may be 10% of what you are saying. I know that I have a Daewoo DVD/Video player but whether it regio free? Wouldn't have a clue. May be I should check the manual.
For stand-alone DVD players, it's different as they are dlievered with a fixed region setting. Again just do a search on the model number and "region hack". Most DVD players have a set of sequences you enter on the remote control to clear the region lock :)

henk4
03-18-2004, 08:17 AM
For stand-alone DVD players, it's different as they are dlievered with a fixed region setting. Again just do a search on the model number and "region hack". Most DVD players have a set of sequences you enter on the remote control to clear the region lock :)

I can read what you write but I am pretty sure that somebody else has to do this for me :mad:

Misho
03-18-2004, 11:45 AM
Hey Matra, i got a question about computer DVD players.
mine also has this 5 changes of region before locking to the last region specified. but what happens if i format my hard drive ?? shouldn't that let me start again with 5 changes ??

byronleehk
03-18-2004, 12:29 PM
mine also has this 5 changes of region before locking to the last region specified. but what happens if i format my hard drive ?? shouldn't that let me start again with 5 changes ??

THIS LINK (http://www.dvdrhelp.com/) should be of some help ;)

NAZCA C2
03-18-2004, 12:31 PM
Pity we can't get that here, and the Ferrari you saw is most likely the 312PB, as the championship was for 3 litre cars, like the Alfa and the Matra.

you are right about the ferrari, i was wrong.

Matra et Alpine
03-18-2004, 01:48 PM
Sorry no, it's the formware in the DVD drive that must implement the region protection :(
See the link in byronleehk's reply for the best place to start getting help to update the firmware to make it region-free.