PDA

View Full Version : Sleepers.

sandwich
03-17-2004, 09:08 PM
What are, in your opinion, the best sleeper cars out there? If you don't know what a sleeper is, it's a common looking car with serious performance.

I'll repost when I can think of some

Slicks
03-17-2004, 11:46 PM
I think one of the best sleepers it the buick Gran National, its so ugly IMO, yet it runs 13s.
http://www.fast-autos.net/buick/grandntl.jpg
And possibly the new GTO
http://www.fast-autos.net/pontiac/04gto.jpg
Ill post more when i think of them too

motorsportnerd
03-18-2004, 05:40 AM
Easy, Libery GT (one of my two current favourite cars along with the Falcon BA GT). 2.0 litres, 180 kW, 0-100 in 6.9sec, 0-400m in 14.9sec, all wrapped up in a boring sedan or wagon body (only real clue to whats underneath is the bonnet scoop and wheels). And thats the auto. The manual would be faster, since its got 205 kW.

Niko_Fx
03-18-2004, 06:32 AM
Various AMG models look like family sedans (which are usually slow cars) like the S55 or E55 but they are a lot faster than let say a Porsche Boxter S.

Is that considered a sleeper?

kiwitt
03-18-2004, 01:59 PM
I am biased ... :D

300hp - 150mph - 0-60mph = 5.9 sec

And it goes round corners like a rally car.

kiwitt
03-18-2004, 02:07 PM
I think one of the best sleepers it the buick Gran National, its so ugly IMO, yet it runs 13s.

I would not call any coupe a sleeper. Most people, when they see a coupe will think they are faster than a standard sedan.

carlover
03-18-2004, 02:11 PM
I would not call any coupe a sleeper. Most people, when they see a coupe will think they are faster than a standard sedan.
It think the definition of sleeper is: any car that looks ugly that goes suprisingly fast. The car doesn't have to outrun a supercar, it just has to be majorly tuned up without affecting the appereanence.

kiwitt
03-18-2004, 02:13 PM
It think the definition of sleeper is: any car that looks ugly that goes suprisingly fast. The car doesn't have to outrun a supercar, it just has to be majorly tuned up without affecting the appereanence.

I wouldn't call the Pontiac GTO ugly ... nor the Buick GN.

carlover
03-18-2004, 02:28 PM
I wouldn't call the Pontiac GTO ugly ... nor the Buick GN.
I wouldn't call them ugly either. But there are some pretty ugly coupes.

mooseTSi
03-18-2004, 03:56 PM
i would have to say the best sleepers would be a dodge omni GLH-t or a dodge spirit r/t. they both look like shit, but are damn fast and very upgradable

Egg Nog
03-18-2004, 06:28 PM
This is the most hardcore sleeper ever. It runs high 10s! Huge output carburated Chevy 350 parked right in the middle :) Stock wheels too, with missing hubcaps and everything. Stock except for the Drag slicks :)

I love the PVC pipe on the top :D

inter mil
03-18-2004, 07:30 PM
egg nog took the words outta my mouth... except the minivan sleepers i know of are dodge caravan turbos (yes, stock), they also run 12-15 range, not quite as fast. check out the whole hilarious and/or awesome story at http://www.turbominivan.com

fpv_gtho
03-18-2004, 08:31 PM

it seems to be everyone from America isnt happy with the GTO's styling. is it theyre all too used to the bold, overdone styling of their SUV's, or they just cant accept a sleep, sports styled coupe

Quiggs
03-18-2004, 10:53 PM
The Grand National isn't really a sleeper... Most everyone knows what it's capable of. And I don't think it's ugly. It's just from the 80's... lol :D

sandwich
03-19-2004, 06:55 AM
it seems to be everyone from America isnt happy with the GTO's styling. is it theyre all too used to the bold, overdone styling of their SUV's, or they just cant accept a sleep, sports styled coupe

Do you mean sleek? I think the problem comes from the GTO name. The GTO was awesome...IMO, this car doesn't inspire the same excitement. It's nice, but it's no GTO.

Does that change the fact that it's a great car with fantastic power and performance? Does that mean I don't want one? No, not at all.

I just would rather see it called something other than a GTO...it just doesn't do it for me under that name. In addition, the car is boring. It looks like a grand prix. If you look at the mustang (closest competition, perhaps?) it has much bolder lines and a stronger shape. The GTO is just...meh

fpv_gtho
03-19-2004, 08:38 AM
perhaps it is just the GTO nameplate that is attracting so much criticism over the styling, but i still stand by that people are being too harsh on it. perhaps some peoples minds will change once Pontiac puts the vents in the bonnet

sandwich
03-19-2004, 09:27 AM
perhaps it is just the GTO nameplate that is attracting so much criticism over the styling, but i still stand by that people are being too harsh on it. perhaps some peoples minds will change once Pontiac puts the vents in the bonnet

Maybe...I'd rather have it labeled as a holden. In my eyes it would be more special than a GTO, which seems like a contrived marketing ploy.

Of course, I will never buy one, so ploy away.

Batmobile_Turbo
03-19-2004, 02:15 PM
the GTO isn't bad looking, it's just that it doesn't really look like a classic GTO.

fpv_gtho
03-20-2004, 12:00 AM
Maybe it wouldve been smarter to just bring it over as the Holden Monaro, but Bob Lutz wanted it to rejuvenate the Pontiac brand so it had to go over as one. The Holden nameplate also isnt anything special in the GM world, like Pontiac is a more sports based brand and Cadillac is luxury, Holden is simply just an Australian outpost like Valiant was to Chrysler. Also with that they would be entering a new manufacturer into the US market which im sure would be harder than badge engineering the product into a current manufacturers lineup

HemiCuda500
03-20-2004, 10:09 AM
I believe a true sleeper needs to have a seriously underpowered, high volume "Cousin" to exist. With the GTO it's styling is conservative, but every car lover knows what it can do. If I saw one I would get serious whip lash checking it out because I know what it can do, and also because there's not that many out there. The best sleepers are the high-performance versions of common cars, with all badging removed so nobody knows what's in it.

My fav factory sleepers:

Dodge SRT-4
Dodge Hemi Ram
Roadrunner and Superbee
Definately the OMNI GLHS and Dodge Spirit R/T

(yes, I'm a Dodge fan!) :D