PDA

View Full Version : Ford GT vs. Dodge Viper

HemiCuda500
03-20-2004, 12:48 PM
According to Motor Trend, the Ford GT beats the Viper to 60sec by about half a second, but the Viper comes back with a vengence and beats the Ford to the quarter mile! (Albeit, by only 1/100 of a sec ;) ) The Viper is therefore cheaper, faster, has more torque, and is a convertible! Nice one Ford! Bye Bye, See ya later!

bige321786
03-20-2004, 01:21 PM
i dont really think thats enough to say bye bye to ford. the ford gt comes complete with the heritage that that car brings and the memories of defeating ferrari way back when. sure the viper is a monster....but lets not base EVERYTHING on 0-60 times and quarter miles times. what about on the racetrack where do these two compare?

Ford100Years
03-20-2004, 02:18 PM
I'd just like to point out that the GT's top speed is over 200 MPH, and the Viper's is 190.

ZerK
03-20-2004, 02:24 PM
The GT is said to out-handle the Ferrari 360 - something a Viper has no chance of doing.

cuntukimushroom
03-20-2004, 03:35 PM
According to Motor Trend, the Ford GT beats the Viper to 60sec by about half a second, but the Viper comes back with a vengence and beats the Ford to the quarter mile! (Albeit, by only 1/100 of a sec ;) ) The Viper is therefore cheaper, faster, has more torque, and is a convertible! Nice one Ford! Bye Bye, See ya later!

well what car would you prefer to be in a car crash
the dodge viper has two stars in safty you could get
you legs broken or would you prefer to be safe in the
ford well not safe becoz its a carcrash :rolleyes:

baddabang
03-20-2004, 03:46 PM
i think the ford gt looks better than the viper, and for 2 cars that are close in performance either one would be nice for me. by the way i wouldn't want to crash any car :mad:

NAZCA C2
03-20-2004, 05:02 PM
performance isnt everything, plus 4 seconds to 60 is plenty fast for the street. what car would you rather be seen in? i would take the gt over the viper any day of the week.

sandwich
03-20-2004, 05:49 PM
the gt will outhandle the viper...plus exclusivity, heritage, and the knowledge that you've got a better handling/faster car than a ferrari

Falcon500
03-21-2004, 03:20 AM
I persoanlly love both cars and think its a move for american cars in the right direction...we already have a viper in our nations cup class now all we need is the GT and we already have a mosler team that wants to start up as well...

HemiCuda500
03-21-2004, 05:41 AM
I really don't think the Ford GT out performs the Ferrari 360.

I guess we'll have to wait until a magazine tests an actual production GT, not these prototypes/Testers/mules.

I just thought it was humerous that Ford was trying to squash Dodge with their new car; it costs double, has 2004 technology, is a coupe (which is easier to make lighter and stiffer than a convertible) is mid-engined (which improves weight distribution), and is supercharged (smaller block=less weight). And the Viper and GT are still very similar in performance.

Oh yeah, and I would rather be seen in a viper. I drive a Ford and I vow it will be the last one I ever own!

Falcon500
03-21-2004, 05:49 AM
Since when where they trying to squash dodge? They built the car because it was recieved well and they wanted something to inspire the people...
And your point being in case youhavent noticed the car makes use of its much smaller powerplant and is more able around corners...And you cana rgue they are useing test mules and stuff now but i can almost garentee the car will be more agile then the viper....

HemiCuda500
03-21-2004, 06:20 AM
Since when where they trying to squash dodge? They built the car because it was recieved well and they wanted something to inspire the people...
And your point being in case youhavent noticed the car makes use of its much smaller powerplant and is more able around corners...And you cana rgue they are useing test mules and stuff now but i can almost garentee the car will be more agile then the viper....

{Sigh} you got me. In many ways it does out-perform the Viper, but they are still very close.

Also, the magazines were really hyping up the fact that the Viper is being replaced by the GT as "America's flagship". I'm sure that was a factor in the car's development.

Falcon500
03-21-2004, 06:31 AM
True they are close...
I dont think that was fords objective to make a new american flagship...though its a nice after thought. ;)
And as for the dodge getting dethroned...dont take that with a grain of salt you have your prefernce and thats all that really matters...rember the GT will more then likly be de throned in a few years too...such is the fickle opions of the general public and the motoring industry.

HemiCuda500
03-21-2004, 06:33 AM
I'd just like to point out that the GT's top speed is over 200 MPH, and the Viper's is 190.

I stand corrected. If that's true, then the Viper isn't the fastest. (But it still has the 1/100th of a second advantage in the quarter mile! :cool: )

Falcon500
03-21-2004, 06:43 AM
I stand corrected. If that's true, then the Viper isn't the fastest. (But it still has the 1/100th of a second advantage in the quarter mile! :cool: )
1/100th....to your average road goer that is not worth skiteing about 10 mph is a lot more then 1/100th of a second if they had several tests that day with that little between them you probly would fin the ford in front on a few occasions...thats basicly a photo finish....

HemiCuda500
03-22-2004, 09:55 AM
1/100th....to your average road goer that is not worth skiteing about 10 mph is a lot more then 1/100th of a second if they had several tests that day with that little between them you probly would fin the ford in front on a few occasions...thats basicly a photo finish....

Yep, its virtually identical. They should run them both 10 times each and get an average (assuming identical conditions)

The criteria for "America's Flagship" has typically been which one cost more, not necessarily which one performs better. Although higher cost should equate better performance.

gtface
03-22-2004, 04:55 PM
are you saying that the ford gt runs a 12.2 in the quarter mile? I was under the impression that it was going to be a sub-12 second car. The viper does run a 12.2 does it not?

gtface
03-22-2004, 06:22 PM
Appearantly car and driver says the 1/4 mile time for the gt is 11.6 @128mph. I haven't seen the article myself, but if this is true then the gt is also a considerable amount faster in the 1/4 mile.

Falcon500
03-25-2004, 03:01 AM
Well Mr Inability to appreciate competition/rivalry you dont seem to see the fact i was showing Hemicuda that the car is not as bad as he made it sound and if you didnt notice in my more recent post i also said dont take any titels seriously it doesnt mean much if you like something stick too it...and in my first post in here i said i like both cars my prefernce being the GT....so you sir have an inability to read all posts, properly decipher information and im under the assumption just wanted to hack into my rep just because you can....

fpv_gtho
03-25-2004, 03:29 AM
i personally would rather the GT. i think the cars image is just more appealign to me and the car's heritage hawks back 40 years so i just couldnt pass on the opportunity to have one.

perhaps a bit late, but i was under the impression that the GT was more intended to take buyers of the Gallardo and 360, not Viper buyers

SPHFerrari
03-29-2004, 06:31 PM
i would rather have the ford gt. whether the viper proves 2 be faster or not. when u see a viper on the road u will say, o thats nice a viper. but if u saw a ford gt u would be excited cuz u never see them. i just think u would be noticed more in da gt

Chinky_boi
04-05-2004, 09:54 PM
Appearantly car and driver says the 1/4 mile time for the gt is 11.6 @128mph. I haven't seen the article myself, but if this is true then the gt is also a considerable amount faster in the 1/4 mile.
WHAT!!!!! mid 11's. thats funny because mid 11's is like super exotic cars and the ford gt90 can only go 11.7 in qtr mile and ford gt90 is well the fastest american road production ever.

fordfan2
04-07-2004, 04:38 AM
I found out that the Gt is so fast in the quarter mile as it has to change gears less time to get there. I believe that the Gt is the better out of the two as i like the shape of the body better, i like the fact that the engine is in the back of the car, i have seen the interior in photos and think it is great, it is a faster car than the viper reaching 200 mph and it's also about the heritage. I also have read that it ourhandles the viper.

Guibo
04-07-2004, 08:39 PM
Have to keep differences in track condition in perspective. MT themselves admit they did not instrument test the two head to head:
"Although we attempt to keep things as equal as possible, our Viper was tested on what might've been a slightly grippier section of test-track pavement.
We usually address handling and ride at the same time. But, obviously, these cars are handling-biased to the extreme. We didn't have the opportunity to sample them back to back on public roads."
Which makes it plainly obvious that this article they billed as a "showdown" was far from it. If we're talking about tenths of a second (or even hundredths of a second), you can't really compare these two cars' times in this test. With differences this small, you can only compare the Viper to other cars that were tested on the same day at that same particular track: the Z06, CL55, 575M, Murcielago, Mosler MT900, Evo, XKR, and Cobra R, which were all on hand with the SRT-10 for MT's "Speeding" shootout, from which the Viper's numbers (in the Ford GT "comparo") were derived.

Comparing R&T's numbers, the GT is quicker. Comparing C&D's times, the GT is again quicker, and by a very substantial margin at speeds over 60. Its 0-150 time is some 5 seconds quicker than the SRT-10, which is simply a huge margin. If production GT's are this quick, we're talking about Carrera GT / Zonda C12S times, which are on a different level than what the Viper can manage. Given a twisty track, I have no doubt that the stiffer, more aerodyamic, mid-engined Ford GT would leave the Viper trailing by a couple of seconds. Also keep in mind that the Viper's tires are pretty crappy. Dodge made a big mistake in going with runflats.

gtface
04-08-2004, 07:25 PM
WHAT!!!!! mid 11's. thats funny because mid 11's is like super exotic cars and the ford gt90 can only go 11.7 in qtr mile and ford gt90 is well the fastest american road production ever.

The gt90 was not not a production car (not sure if that's what you meant). Also, the gt90 was a considerable amount heavier than the gt, so it is possible that the gt could have a slightly faster than the gt90. Once again, i have not seen the car and driver article myself, so im not even sure if that time is legit.

junaman
04-11-2004, 08:23 PM
They both look good and they are similar in power and speed.
I would choose the viper because i think it looks beta than the ford.
You have also gotta take into account that the viper is older

TheOne
06-21-2004, 04:02 PM
You have also gotta take into account that the viper is older
i don't think the viper is older, correct me if am wrong though. tho its called GT now, it used to be the GT40 back in the older days of muscle cars, i don't remember seeing a viper that goes before the 90's, unless ya relly meant something else, ain't they having a new viper style(body)?

fpv_gtho
06-21-2004, 04:47 PM
Thats the age of the name your talking about, not the actual car. Its just recently the GT's been released, the lastest model Viper's been around a couple of years i think

hellraiser93gt
06-23-2004, 01:14 AM
personaly i think for the money both of the cars are not worth it, i'm probably just saying this because i will never have enough money to afford either, but think of this i got my 93 mustang for 5,200 and for 10,000 more i could consistantly outrun either in the quarter mile, but thats really off of the subject, i would take the gt, i love both but the gt is so badass.