PDA

View Full Version : Supercar Design (Critique

Dr. Phil
07-03-2006, 08:11 PM
I design cars and technologies as a hobby and I have been working on this design for around a year or so. This is my first time putting it down on paper. Please give me feedback, likes, dislikes, etc. (I used a pic of the Zonda and Ferrari Aurea to get shape, design is all my own)

My Supercar designs:

Racetech S11 XX: Front Angle (http://www.imagehosting.us/index.php?action=show&ident=1428650) Rear Angle (http://www.imagehosting.us/index.php?action=show&ident=1428652) Side (http://www.imagehosting.us/index.php?action=show&ident=1428661) Front (http://www.imagehosting.us/index.php?action=show&ident=1428655) Rear (http://www.imagehosting.us/index.php?action=show&ident=1428658) Top (http://www.imagehosting.us/index.php?action=show&ident=1428662) Chassis (http://www.imagehosting.us/index.php?action=show&ident=1428654) Specs (http://www.imagehosting.us/index.php?action=show&ident=1428927)

werty
07-03-2006, 08:16 PM
looks alright..*you asked for feedback

make it lower and wider:cool:

bmwpower
07-03-2006, 08:33 PM
Look very nice..maybe make the rear bigger rather then having it so small and those fang like objects protrouding down..

Blitz_
07-03-2006, 08:58 PM
To be honest, it doesnt spark my imagination, lacks originality. Supercars are a dime a dozen in terms of design and overal exterior prescence, well to me anyway. You have some good drawing skills though, almost perfect perspective, just get some really good flair in your design and create a wild side.

F1_Master
07-03-2006, 09:07 PM
Looks ok, but I see some Enzo/FXX in there.

teatako
07-03-2006, 09:38 PM
the proportions are slightly off the mark and theres certainly a few cliches thrown in, but the Z element that includes the air intake is neat.

scottie300z
07-03-2006, 10:18 PM
ive looked at alot of designs like this over my time here, and it seems to me that people normally overload them with vents, inlets and everything. If you have to flash your design up, maybe its not that good of a design, or maybe it'd be better off w/o it. It still isnt bad though, the rear does sing of enzo thr front hints at it. but the mid is something altogether, im thinking zonda. Also reminds me of a car from burnout revenge.

If i could draw, id most likely follow these steps. (doesnt mean you have to, just figured id get into the topic since i never have) determine the dimensions (lgth & wdth of car from wheel to wheel), then draw the engine compartment (exterior) but really think about how big the engine will be in relation to the dimensions, then the cabin(exterior) the same way, so that you give them the amount of room they need, and then carve a simple body around it (simple) and then add more detail around it until you find the style you want for it. Id most likely think about what i want the car to be about and say, then try to make the car say that through the design. I heard a quote once, "good design says something not only about the use of the device, but also the user." anyways, thats my lengthy two cents.

mavanhaasteren
07-03-2006, 10:32 PM
it looks great i like te sweet sexy lines to the back and the mean looking front

Gardin
07-04-2006, 12:07 AM
You're good at drawing, but it's not a design for my taste. Lacks originality.

drakkie
07-04-2006, 01:09 AM
You're good at drawing, but it's not a design for my taste. Lacks originality.

AND any consideration of aerodynamics...

twinspark
07-04-2006, 02:41 AM
The drawings are good. But I think there's still a lot of Enzo and Zonda in them.

90ft
07-04-2006, 03:42 AM
If you've been working on this design for a year or so then you should be MUCH further along with it.
Your drawings are very basic - early scetch phase.
After a year I would expect full rendered images of high quality not some scratching on toilet paper. THe idea of a scetch is to communicate your idea with the people you are working with. Therefore it is importent that body sections and transitions are clear and easily read in the scetches.

Please don't take this as just me hammering your scetches I'm trying to be constructive.
your scetches both front and rear lack information.
If you were to give these to a modeller they would simply laugh at you.
Door shuts are very usefull for showing body sections.
Highlights down the wheel arches and acoss the body sides are important.
Leave in construction lines if you like. Depends on your style.
I don't know how old you are . . . but I would expect this grade of drawing from someone around 15 years old.

There are a million examples of scetches available on the internet as well as tutorials and rending classes.
This isn't aimed at you as an individual rather at everyone who posts images of their scetches on this site.
Why don't you start by copying and trying to get a grasp of the basic proportions of vehicles. Then learn rendering techniques before trying somethiing from scratch.
It may look simlar to something done before to start with. But as you improve you will be able to draw cars without using underlays - in the same way that artists do life class as a way of learning to learn humans. Then you can use your style and imagination to create images and designs that can be truely appreciated by people.
You will also learn the difference between illustration and design drawings.

Coventrysucks
07-04-2006, 05:34 AM
It looks good, my only critisism would be that it looks like a current supercar (not bad in itself), it would be nice to see something looking forward maybe 5-10 years, as, if you were designing a car for real, that is probably how long it will be from the initial sketches to the final product rolling out of the factory.

I found that learning how to design things is a long term process.

It took me a long time, years, to get from labouring for hours over a very basic side profile to where I am now; knocking out reams of paper in the same time.

It is a matter of learning how to get the ideas from your head down on to paper, and those ideas aren't going to come out in 1 or 2 sketches.

I'd echo what Scottie300Z says, but in a different way - ignore the nonsense about starting with an engine bay - that's engineer-thinking, and it puts too much constraint on the initial design.

Start off with your general concept - proportions, shapes, surfaces etc.
Don't be afraid to do lots of sketches with variations of the design, you might even come up with something that looks better than what you had in mind when you started!

Then, when you are happy with the concept, you can start to worry about fitting people, engines, etc.

After you have a package, you'll probably need to go back to the design and tweak it so that you can actually get into the car, see out, etc.

When you have your overall package and styling fixed you can move on to details like lights, wheels, vents, etc.

Good design resources for looking at sketches are the portfolios on www.cardesignnews.com, and www.carbodydesign.com

Dr. Phil
07-04-2006, 09:30 AM
AND any consideration of aerodynamics...

Actually it has very complex aerodynamics, in fact it has been designed around making maximum downforce.

-The front intakes funnel a massive amount of air into venturi tunnels that then flair into the large diffuser (note small wing at bottom of front intakes).
-Hood vents take some air from front intakes and run them over inverted wings.
-The side intakes act as ram air intakes for the engine
-the downward wedge shaped sides act as delta wings, creating small vortexes underneath, increasing downforce
-rear wing increases downforce
-entire rear end is open and vented to help fill in cars rear wake.

BTW "90ft." I am 16 years old

Gtek-i
07-05-2006, 01:22 AM
wow...it's pretty nice! But lacks originality as mentioned above.

6speed
07-05-2006, 08:16 AM
If you've been working on this design for a year or so then you should be MUCH further along with it.
Your drawings are very basic - early scetch phase.
After a year I would expect full rendered images of high quality not some scratching on toilet paper. THe idea of a scetch is to communicate your idea with the people you are working with. Therefore it is importent that body sections and transitions are clear and easily read in the scetches.

Please don't take this as just me hammering your scetches I'm trying to be constructive.
your scetches both front and rear lack information.
If you were to give these to a modeller they would simply laugh at you.
Door shuts are very usefull for showing body sections.
Highlights down the wheel arches and acoss the body sides are important.
Leave in construction lines if you like. Depends on your style.
I don't know how old you are . . . but I would expect this grade of drawing from someone around 15 years old.

There are a million examples of scetches available on the internet as well as tutorials and rending classes.
This isn't aimed at you as an individual rather at everyone who posts images of their scetches on this site.
Why don't you start by copying and trying to get a grasp of the basic proportions of vehicles. Then learn rendering techniques before trying somethiing from scratch.
It may look simlar to something done before to start with. But as you improve you will be able to draw cars without using underlays - in the same way that artists do life class as a way of learning to learn humans. Then you can use your style and imagination to create images and designs that can be truely appreciated by people.
You will also learn the difference between illustration and design drawings.

Give him a break.

Dr. Phil
07-05-2006, 07:53 PM
What do think of the sides specifically. I am working on a new version I might post tonight or tomarrow. slightly more original...

6speed
07-06-2006, 09:17 AM
To be honest, the side is what makes me cringe the most. It's to Testarossa-like to me. I just don't expect it. lol. And I can't see it in real life. Try putting some carbon fibre in there, and maybe it'll work.

Dr. Phil
07-06-2006, 10:22 PM
I didnt like the testarossa sides either. these will grow on u. they did on me