PDA

View Full Version : How do you weather WRC cars?

byronleehk
03-23-2004, 09:43 AM
I had built a Lancer Evolution WRC like a year ago completed with the driver and the netvigator and now I'm ready to weather it.

With another old kit I had tried using modeling compound mixed with earth colors and 'brush' it on but it turned out 'fake'. I had also tried using airbrush and did several passes from under the chassis underurface so the paint will overflow on the sides but still no good...can someone give me pointers on how to achieve a good "weathering" effect on a WRC car? :confused:

Thanks.

bige321786
03-23-2004, 03:30 PM
i've never weathered a model car but i've built my share of models before and read numerous posts about how the weathering process is done.

using an airbrush you can turn the pressure down really low so instead of a nice high pressure stream of paint the airbrush kind of throws clumps of paint at the target (a model car in this case). mix up some different values of browns and oranges or whatever type of "mud" you would like to use and give that a try. i've read more and i know i'm not the best guy for advice on weather model cars but i'll try to find a post where it talks about it better and post it here in the near future.
good luck
eric hammond

bige321786
03-23-2004, 03:39 PM
check out
www.briansmodelcars.com
go to the message boards there and search for weathering....a lot of good tips and advice up there
hope i could have been of some service
take care and good luck
eric hammond

crisis
03-23-2004, 05:47 PM
Ground up artist pastels alow you to brush on dust etc. The bonus is you can remove it if you dont like it up to a point.

byronleehk
03-24-2004, 10:58 AM
Thanks guys!!

Will give it a try...might even post some pics of it if successful :rolleyes: