PDA

View Full Version : Who will be the next world champion?

the real deal
03-24-2004, 03:39 AM
Who will it be? who will be the one to over thro Michael Schumacher? Who will be the next world champion? Being British i want Jenson Button to win. but i feel that Alonso will be the next champion. What to da yall think?? :rolleyes:

Wouter Melissen
03-24-2004, 03:45 AM
Alonso in the Renault.

fpv_gtho
03-24-2004, 03:46 AM
well i think that Montoya once he settles in at McLaren will be a good shot. Webber is also a hot shot but he wont get anywhere with Jaguar and his 2 biggest choices seem to be Renault with Flavio Briatorre or Williams to fill Montoya's spot, but a few days ago i wouldve predicted that both Button and Webber were going to Williams when R.Schumacher was talking with Renault and had only to make up a contract but it seems Williams have come to an agreement with him, for now at least. Well after Schuey goes, Webber, Button, Montoya and Alonso for sure

EvilPaladin
03-24-2004, 05:26 AM
I tkink it will be Fernando Alonso.

Madman
03-24-2004, 07:45 AM
Before the start of the season, I didn't think Michael Schumacher had another championship left in him.
After seeing his performances in Austrailia and Malaysia, I may have to eat those words!
Whilst McLaren, Williams and Renault have gone for radical (and unproven) new designs, Ferrari have chosen to evolve it's proven formula.
If the first two races are anything to go by, Schumacher will continue to dominate for the forseeable future.

Madman of the People

Homem de Gelo
03-24-2004, 08:43 AM
I still bet on Kimi at McLaren.
Once McLaren delivers him a reliable and fast car, there is no stopping him.

Matra et Alpine
03-24-2004, 09:08 AM
Whilst McLaren, Williams and Renault have gone for radical (and unproven) new designs,
Can you explain ?
IIRC THIS years McLaren is the car they failed to bring to the grid LAST year.
The Williams is only 'radical' in the new front wing.
Renault in a new engine ( with rumours of it being based on earlier ones anyway ).
The 'swoopy' body seems to be common amonst all the front-runners.

Mustang
03-24-2004, 09:14 AM
i want it to be fernando alonso ;) (sp) but it will prob be schumacher again if he carries on like he is doing. :o

Matra et Alpine
03-24-2004, 09:19 AM
It'll be David Coulthard's year.

( :) 'in' joke for the F1 fans :) )

EvilPaladin
03-24-2004, 09:25 AM
You mean his last year don't you ? :p

Matra et Alpine
03-24-2004, 09:33 AM
You mean his last year don't you ? :p
It does raise that question :)
I think if he were offered a number one slot in one of the smaller temas he may be tempted to remain in F1 to prove his personal worth to a team. Something that McLaren aren't good at doing. DC was testing cars 4-5 times more often than Mika and Mika got all the benefits. I'm not sure how much it annoyed DC, but I do know it was an issue from someone who worked on the team at the time.

Wonder how Toyota/Renault feel as McNish has just won the Sebring race for Audi.
I still think he was an under-rated driver by F1 teams and was unlucky trying to make the narrow V10 Renault engine do anything and the Toyota team learn F1 :(
met him at Mount Stuart last year and he is a really nice guy.

NAZCA C2
03-24-2004, 10:38 AM
If mclaren get their stuff together next year both Kimi and Montoya will be championship contenders. Fernando Alonso is a serious contender as well.

bige321786
03-24-2004, 02:35 PM
sad to say, but i think it will be rubens barichello. he's shown that he can place in the top three regularly and qualify EXTREMELY well.....and with so much of the F1 races being won either at qualifying and in the pits, the Ferrari team will have a winner in Rubnes long after Michael leaves. That is, if Rubens stays with the Ferrari team.

Homem de Gelo
03-24-2004, 03:06 PM
Can you explain ?
IIRC THIS years McLaren is the car they failed to bring to the grid LAST year.
The Williams is only 'radical' in the new front wing.
Renault in a new engine ( with rumours of it being based on earlier ones anyway ).
The 'swoopy' body seems to be common amonst all the front-runners.

McLaren never raced the MP4-18, this year they use the MP4-19.

Matra et Alpine
03-24-2004, 03:25 PM
McLaren never raced the MP4-18, this year they use the MP4-19.
.. and the early reports from testing were that the 19 was 'not significantly different' from the 18. The suggestion was there was a renaming exercise at play :)

Matra et Alpine
03-24-2004, 03:28 PM
.. and the early reports from testing were that the 19 was 'not significantly different' from the 18. The suggestion was there was a renaming exercise at play :)
Here's a quote from the BBC Sport web site, this was late 2003 season .....

But Haug denied claims in the German media that the MP4-18 had been an expensive failure.

He insisted that it would race in 2003 and that it would form the platform for the team's 2004 assault, when it might be called the MP4-19.

bum-man
03-24-2004, 04:25 PM
once M$ leaves it will be Young all the way, no one will even come close to touching him, he will bring Minardi to the top! :D

Deckard
03-24-2004, 05:21 PM
It'll be David Coulthard's year.

( :) 'in' joke for the F1 fans :) )

Don't know if it's been posted before or not but.....

Deckard
03-24-2004, 05:24 PM
If McLaren can built a decent car for a change I think JPM will run ring around Kimi.
By the time MS retires Webber will be in a competative car and will win the WDC.

GT500
03-24-2004, 05:43 PM
MS coudl win in a Minardi fer shure. ;) ;)

I think Kimi and DC have good chances as well though....they're both great drivers. :)

Coventrysucks
03-24-2004, 07:06 PM
'Sniffpetrol' says:
"David Coulthard has had a glittering driving career. From a remarkable 4th place in Formula Vauxhall-Lotus back in 1990 and a sensational 3rd place in F3000 in 1993, up to his glorious and unmatched run of 3rd places in the driver's championship in 1995, '97, '98 and 2000 and last years brilliant 5th place, David has quite excited fans of Scottish racing drivers for 10 years."
:D

I like DC, he signed a picture that I did back in '98 :cool:

I think he deserves to win more often.

Deckard
03-24-2004, 08:06 PM
'Sniffpetrol' says:
"David Coulthard has had a glittering driving career. From a remarkable 4th place in Formula Vauxhall-Lotus back in 1990 and a sensational 3rd place in F3000 in 1993, up to his glorious and unmatched run of 3rd places in the driver's championship in 1995, '97, '98 and 2000 and last years brilliant 5th place, David has quite excited fans of Scottish racing drivers for 10 years."
:D

I like DC, he signed a picture that I did back in '98 :cool:

I think he deserves to win more often.

This is David's last year in which he has the possibility of winning a Grand Prix.
Once he gets booted from McLaren, he will never come close to winning again.

He has been at McLaren for 9 or 10 years and won a total of 12 or so races.
He is a professional No.2 driver.

The sooner he takes his lego head away from F1 and gives someone else a go in a top team the better.
Good riddance I say.

Matra et Alpine
03-25-2004, 05:53 AM
Good riddance I say.Really ?
Well he was third four different seasons (1995, 1997, 1998, 2000) and came second in 2001.

You think losing a driver with the second best ever points per race ratio after M Schumacher is a good thing for F1 :)

Teams will want that, the question is can the afford his fees :(

Getting out of Ron's political influence is long overdue, it's only held him back !!

NAZCA C2
03-25-2004, 11:41 AM
This is David's last year in which he has the possibility of winning a Grand Prix.
Once he gets booted from McLaren, he will never come close to winning again.

He has been at McLaren for 9 or 10 years and won a total of 12 or so races.
He is a professional No.2 driver.

The sooner he takes his lego head away from F1 and gives someone else a go in a top team the better.
Good riddance I say.

I'm not saying that DC is the best driver in F1 but he is second in most wins of all the drivers in F1 right now. He is a solid driver. If he was in a Ruben's position he would probably have 20 wins by now.

Deckard
03-25-2004, 02:56 PM
Really ?
Well he was third four different seasons (1995, 1997, 1998, 2000) and came second in 2001.

You think losing a driver with the second best ever points per race ratio after M Schumacher is a good thing for F1 :)

Teams will want that, the question is can the afford his fees :(

Getting out of Ron's political influence is long overdue, it's only held him back !!

Sorry, I know he is a Scot and you may (or may not?) have a bit of patriotism towards him.

Personally, I don't think he deserves to have been in a top team for this long.

I see him as a professional No. 2 driver.
Throughout his carrer, every team mate that he has had has run rings around him. Whether it was Hill, Mika or Kimi now. I think only in '97 did he beat Mika in the WDC.
Other teams have a No.1 driver (even if they deny it) which they keep for as long as they can and then go through a No.2 driver every few years (i.e. Ferrari). McLaren have done it the other way round.
I don't actually have a problem with this.

I just feel that in the last 3-4 years he has struggled to keep up with the pace of F1. Certainly can't cope with the one lap qualifying system.

But, as you say, getting out of the shadow of RD is probably a good thing and since McLaren seems to have lost the plot.. (MP4-18???????) and this years car struggling he might be able to show his worth else where. (God help JPM next year).

He certainly will take a lot of experience to which ever team he goes to. Probably either Renault or Jaguar.

This isn't a personal attack on you (or any of his fans) just my opinion. :D

Matra et Alpine
03-25-2004, 03:11 PM
Sorry, I know he is a Scot and you may (or may not?) have a bit of patriotism towards him.
I'll stand guilty on that.
But he was good on the national stage before F1 too.

Personally, I don't think he deserves to have been in a top team for this long.
Well an often missing knowledge on DC is the effort he has ALWAYS put in to car testing and development and I think that's what kept him a desirebale asset to a team. Much of Hakinon's success came from DC's testing efforts.

I see him as a professional No. 2 driver.
If he'd ever been given a chance as a number 1 history may have been different.

Throughout his carrer, every team mate that he has had has run rings around him. Whether it was Hill, Mika or Kimi now. I think only in '97 did he beat Mika in the WDC.
In McLaren he was never Ron'[s favourite. He talked too much about the technical aspects of the car and would tell the team when things weren't right and what they needed to do. I know someone who was in the factory team and she said it was quite noticable the way Ron treated his drivers and the only one who ever stood up to him and won was Ayrton !!

Other teams have a No.1 driver (even if they deny it) which they keep for as long as they can and then go through a No.2 driver every few years (i.e. Ferrari). McLaren have done it the other way round.
I think that reflects the value to the team DC adds AWAY from the track as well as reasonable performances on track.

I just feel that in the last 3-4 years he has struggled to keep up with the pace of F1. Certainly can't cope with the one lap qualifying system.
Well the last 3 years have been dogged with failures and unfair pressure.
But I agree he is NOT the kind of driver who can turn it on for one lap.
He's a driver who suffers in the new 'superpole' copied over from SuperBike racing.
But, hey, that's the sport he lives in and he either pushes to get the right car and attituede or he should move over.
Personally I think he's more taken with his hotel business and bonking beautiful birds.
Shame :(

This isn't a personal attack on you (or any of his fans) just my opinion. :D
No problems, that's why I like UCP. We can put our points of view and evidence we have and debate it openly.

Deckard
03-25-2004, 03:54 PM
I'll stand guilty on that.
But he was good on the national stage before F1 too.

No problem there mate, I'm the same with Webber!

If he'd ever been given a chance as a number 1 history may have been different.
Begs the question of why wasn't he given that opportunity?

In McLaren he was never Ron'[s favourite. He talked too much about the technical aspects of the car and would tell the team when things weren't right and what they needed to do. I know someone who was in the factory team and she said it was quite noticable the way Ron treated his drivers and the only one who ever stood up to him and won was Ayrton !!
So why did he keep him for so long?

Well the last 3 years have been dogged with failures and unfair pressure.
But I agree he is NOT the kind of driver who can turn it on for one lap.
He's a driver who suffers in the new 'superpole' copied over from SuperBike racing.
But, hey, that's the sport he lives in and he either pushes to get the right car and attituede or he should move over.
Personally I think he's more taken with his hotel business and bonking beautiful birds.
Shame :(
Yep, gotta agree there.

No problems, that's why I like UCP. We can put our points of view and evidence we have and debate it openly.
Yeah, it's quite rare to find that.

Matra et Alpine
03-25-2004, 04:24 PM
Begs the question of why wasn't he given that opportunity?
I think the McLaren offer was a good one and he'd hoped he could shine in the team and become WDC and #1.
Unfortunately, the unwillingness to be Ron's lap-dog condemned him.
( The insider told me that Ron had made it clear that NO driver was ever to exert control over HIS team the way Ayrton had !! )
So DDC was doomed really :(

So why did he keep him for so long?
Because he's good at setting up cars and working with the team and doesn't do anything to upset the sponsors.

Webber impresses me and I think he coudl be good.
Can he be the best, I'm not so sure :)

Deckard
03-25-2004, 04:56 PM
The thing with Webber is that so far he's done remarkably well. He got on the front row of the Malaysian GP (although I suspect that had Alonso not stuck it in a ditch, things would have been different) and continues to improve.
I guess we'll only really know if he can win the WDC, is once he is in a competative & reliable car.

I remember when Fisichella came to F1 and everyone rated him the best driver ever and he still continues to win the Driver's Driver award. Yet, without a decent car he is still struggling.

Rico
05-14-2004, 09:59 PM
Fornando Alonso at renault

Cotterik
05-15-2004, 02:21 PM
I didnt realise that this had been threaded :(
The next world champion in my view will be Kimi Raikkonen. He had a great season last, and has great talent and promises to stay that way for years to come. Mclarens problems this year will not get in his way, next year they should be cleared up and with Montoya on the same team, the Manufacturers championship seems highly likely for Mclaren. I can also predict a friendly but entertaining rivalry between Juan Pablo Montoya and Kimi Raikkonen, just like the Senna - Prost rivalry at Mclaren in 1988. With this pressure from Montoya Kimi will overcome him and Schumacher will become overshadowed in the race between Montoya and Kimi. But i think Kimi will come out on top and be champion in 2005. Lets face it..Ferrari are never going to allow Barrichello to become a rival to Schumacher which i do not agree with at all. I personally favour Williams and Webber should be heading to replace Montoya for 2005, which i think will become a great relationship and Webber will be able to use his talents fully. As for Ralf ( my personal favourite driver ) I do not see him staying at Williams for 2005, as his relationship with the team is not as strong as it used to be, he will head to Toyota and Villeneuve or Coulthard should take his place. Button is also a likely contender for the title but i think his time will be in a couple of years to come. Alonso also has great potential and a fight between himself and Button should be interesting as i think that they are both on the same level right now. But we will have to see :D

SilverArrowZ
05-15-2004, 08:13 PM
My bet will be on Kimi too. He had great talent and prove to be very consistent, provided the team give him a good car. I'm a big fan of McLaren for years, although the team's performance this year is mediocore, i think they will come back, and hope they make good use of Paragon to make a better future for their team

fpv_gtho
05-16-2004, 12:35 AM
it seems to be the opinion of everyone, that Raikkonen will be the next champ after Schuey and after Kimi it will be between Webber and Button

Matra et Alpine
05-16-2004, 02:25 AM
it seems to be the opinion of everyone, that Raikkonen will be the next champ after Schuey and after Kimi it will be between Webber and Button
Kimi is a good driver, but I don't think he will be WDC because he isn't the "complete package" which the sponsors require.
His lack of comment about the McLaren team situation will come bak to haunt him and he'll be branded "not aggresive" for the approach he's taking and his lack of spirit to push.
It's been too early to know for sure, but Mika was NOT a great stest driver and was reportedly not that capable in working on car development. But very good at the final 'tweaks'. Here's a conspiracy theory for you to enjoy ...
McLaren's inability to build and deliver a race car has been in the same timeframe as them making it clear to DC that he wouldn't be wanted. Do you think DC spent last and this year NOT committing to the hard-graft in the team he spent 6 years doing with no recognition from Ron ? and the consequence is they don't have the early input on chassis and setup that are crtitical to providing a car the team can then tweak on -track for each race.

Falcon500
05-16-2004, 06:33 AM
Apprentlywebber impresses shcuie with his determination and never say die attitude...he also thinks he has what it takes to be a champion....
Personally i think kimmi could be a champion he is a great driver and he is determined....and what people say doesnt mean a whole lot...people say hes not agressive...are these people drivers? I Think he could do it but wether he will or nots another thing...
Niel Crompton (cromly) our ex racer turned comintator thinks that their is a possibility that jaguar should attempt to get more money out of the ford motor company and theyd be fools to get rid of webber...interesting thought....it would be a plesent supise to see jaguar win a world titel :)

fpv_gtho
05-16-2004, 06:37 AM
well if Jaguar had the oportunity to keep Webber but let him go, that would be crazy, but if they knew that they were holding him back, and didnt have the funds to keep him and then let him go, you cant really call that craziness on Jaguars side though. agreed though, id really like to see Webber win with Jaguar above all else, but at the present time there simply isnt the reliability or speed in the R5

Falcon500
05-18-2004, 06:07 AM
Well they have found wither speedor form to get the car a front row start this year...thator a light fuel load and the best tyres they had....but i think with the slightupsthey have had this year hopefully people will show more intrest and pur more money into to the team...that and good development work is what they need i think...but imno exbert in f1...I am also of the beliefe that with effort,soul,good people and a bit of money that any team has the potential to do well...and with the first 3 are at least entiteld to some praise at the least :)

Cotterik
05-18-2004, 06:57 AM
Kimi is a good driver, but I don't think he will be WDC because he isn't the "complete package" which the sponsors require.
His lack of comment about the McLaren team situation will come bak to haunt him and he'll be branded "not aggresive" for the approach he's taking and his lack of spirit to push.

Yes, but he does not lose trust with the team and is helping them get back to their old succesive ways. He may not be aggresive at the moment but it all lies down to where you are on the grid, which is currently far from the front and that is because the car is not upto standards not Kimi. Button has been superb so far but when he started from down the grid in barcelona he did not have a chance to perform aggresively towards the front runners. Kimi could have been telling the press how much he 'hates the new car' or 'wishes he was driving for a different team that will let him use his talents to the full'. But he keeps away from the press and keeps his head down with the team. Some say Coulthard is trying harder to win Mclaren points but remember, he only has one year left, he has nothing to lose and he knows that. Remember, Ferrari werent always ontop and schumacher wasnt always number 1. But they learnt from their mistakes and progressed to be the dominant team. A typical driver would take the first offer from another team but Kimi will stay and help Mclaren with their current problems and fight back for the championship in 2005. That determination is what makes a World Champion.

drakkie
05-18-2004, 07:29 AM
MICHAEL SCHUMACHER (oops capslock still on :( )

Cotterik
05-18-2004, 07:50 AM
MICHAEL SCHUMACHER (oops capslock still on :( )
please dont tell me you like Michael Schumacher :mad: *prays*

Matra et Alpine
05-18-2004, 08:19 AM
Yes, but he does not lose trust with the team and is helping them get back to their old succesive ways. He may not be aggresive at the moment but it all lies down to where you are on the grid, which is currently far from the front and that is because the car is not upto standards not Kimi.
He's not fighting on or off the track.
A real leader would be IN press meetings saying how the team is working etc.
He avoids these things.
THAT will be his downfall in todays F1, sadly.

Kimi could have been telling the press how much he 'hates the new car' or 'wishes he was driving for a different team that will let him use his talents to the full'. But he keeps away from the press and keeps his head down with the team.
Compare him with someone like Rossi from MotoGP. When things were bad he was saying it AND working to get it fixed. Kimi's not doing either and based on past experience is NOT good at leading the test work. THAT is where DC excelled.

Remember, Ferrari werent always ontop and schumacher wasnt always number 1. But they learnt from their mistakes and progressed to be the dominant team.
Yep, imagine Ferrari with Ron at the helm/bar/boardroom/new factory :)

A typical driver would take the first offer from another team but Kimi will stay and help Mclaren with their current problems and fight back for the championship in 2005. That determination is what makes a World Champion.
NO driver has taken a first offer from anyone for at least a decade !!
Kimi isn't capable of helping McLaren and DC hasn't the will to after so many years of Ron-speak. So McLaren will be in the doldrums until a driver who can assist in the setting up and development of a car arrives.
THAT is what made Ferrari great. The combination of the BEST driver who can explain a car AND drive around it when needed *AND* a motivated team *WITH* a great leader(s) *AND* lots of money ( and FOCUS! )

Not to sound like the old grampa in the corner, but I've followed F1 for 30+ years. Spoken to some of the top drivers and designers. Spent time with pit-lane teams, mechanics and sponsors. Without the up-coming changes McLaren wouldhave been out of the top for another 2-3 years. The new formula will level the playing field and give them a chance again. BUT, if Ferrari retain Todt, Brawn and Schumacher then even a new formula won't help as they will move faster than everybody else.

Cotterik
05-18-2004, 08:52 AM
:p you should add to your signature: 'UCP's Official corrector of everybodies comments'

Matra et Alpine
05-18-2004, 09:24 AM
:p you should add to your signature: 'UCP's Official corrector of everybodies comments'
ah, grasshopper, one day YOU will be able to have wisdom :)

oh and btw, it's like the television.
If you don't want to read my inputs, then skip my posts.
With 30 years experience, I don't need anymore pats on the back or kudos *OR* BS :)

henk4
05-23-2004, 02:00 AM
I assume we are talking after 2006, when MS contract with Ferrari will finish. If he then stops the new world champion will be next No1 Ferrari driver, and currently its anybody's guess who that will be. Might even be Montoya if Ron keeps on frustrating McL.