PDA

View Full Version : Whats Drifting all about?

Equinox
07-28-2006, 09:44 PM
When the rear wheels are slipping at a greater angle than the front wheels, the car is drifting, or "power-sliding". The rear end of the car appears to chase the front end around a turn; the driver utilizes both front tires and the rear tires to control the actual direction of the car. More throttle induces more rear wheel slip angle and the rear of the car wants to overtake the front. The goal is for the driver to achieve opposite lock and use the throttle to fine tune the car's angle and direction.

In theory any car with FR layout will do.
Top 10 cars in 2005 D1GP:
3 x S15 Silvia
2 x AE86 Trueno/Levin
2 x FD3S RX7
1 x GD Impreza (RWD)
1 x ER34 Skyline
1 x SXE10 Altezza

The popular cars seen around the world reflect the local flavors and what is commonly available, but center around light to moderate weight, rear-wheel-drive passenger cars with an emphasis on good handling. Japanese cars are often preferred, due to the sport's Japanese origins, but are not necessarily at an advantage.

for the rest of the information go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drifting_%28motorsport%29

But with that said do you think drifting will catch on in North America?

clutch-monkey
07-28-2006, 09:48 PM
it already has
i believe a dodge viper won last time, and a GTO and a mustang did quite well too
here a monaro won followed by a 1000hp ute...

acemotorsport
07-28-2006, 10:17 PM
you got it wrong the ute hasn't won shit or come even close the monaro won round 5 at winton in the wet and round 2 this year at queensland raceway

clutch-monkey
07-28-2006, 10:20 PM
i thought it came second at something? maybe in only one of the races

acemotorsport
07-28-2006, 10:24 PM
never it only has come 4th or lower

Daz27
07-29-2006, 01:07 AM
settle down ladies please...

Rockefella
07-29-2006, 01:22 AM
Drifting = teh sux imho.

Daz27
07-29-2006, 01:33 AM
Of course its going to take off over there, but its not real racing IMO. Sorta like trot racing is to Horse racing, just a bit of a wank really.

MrKipling
07-29-2006, 01:47 AM
Drifting is about getting very bored and showing off.

Unless you're brilliant at it: then it's about awesome car control.

It isn't racing though, but only in the same way that freestyle motocross isn't racing. It still takes immense talent.

2ndclasscitizen
07-29-2006, 01:55 AM
I wouldn't call it a motorsport as such, but it's still quite impressive, especially when the guys who are really good do it and can go all the way around sideways and then just straighten up completely smoothly back on to the racing line.

But like many things automotive, it's full of twats massaging their egos and thinking they're better than they are.

hightower99
07-29-2006, 03:58 AM
Personally I don't like the goofy D1 drifting for me drifting is not about opposite lock it is about maintaining the highest possible corner speed by utilising weight shifting to get the most traction from all 4 wheels.

what I am talking about is known as 4 wheel drift or inertial drift and is the fastest way through a corner.

Daz27
07-29-2006, 04:19 AM
Dunno if its the fastest way...

07-29-2006, 04:23 AM
Dunno if its the fastest way...in a few corners a small amount of drifts in a certain cars help, but normally it doesnt

Equinox
07-29-2006, 01:15 PM
Drifting is about getting very bored and showing off.

Unless you're brilliant at it: then it's about awesome car control.

It isn't racing though, but only in the same way that freestyle motocross isn't racing. It still takes immense talent.
i have to agree with that

i am not all that interested in Drifting either... i am more of a Formula 1 guy!

and i agree... drifting is like the freestyle sport of motorsports

07-29-2006, 01:45 PM
drifting is good to watch, and good fun to do, but unless you are amazing at it then all you see is people jabbing the throttle (a la TG) and sliding a bit

johnnynumfiv
07-29-2006, 01:59 PM

I already has 30 years ago.
It's called dirt track racing.
http://lebanonvalley.com/Circle/Photo%20gallery/5-27-06/images/LV-KK-13.jpg

People just do that on asphalt now. Stupid teenagers thinking they invented something new...

KnifeEdge_2K1
07-29-2006, 04:15 PM
Drifting = teh sux imho.

yeah that's REAL humble

KnifeEdge_2K1
07-29-2006, 04:20 PM
Personally I don't like the goofy D1 drifting for me drifting is not about opposite lock it is about maintaining the highest possible corner speed by utilising weight shifting to get the most traction from all 4 wheels.

what I am talking about is known as 4 wheel drift or inertial drift and is the fastest way through a corner.
inertial drift

are you sure you havnt been watching initial d too much ??

grip driving is the fastest possible way out of a corner, you're right up to the limit of adhesion where the tyres operate most efficiently, any farther and you're going to end up using kinetic friction which means less grip and lower cornering speed

i believe we've had this conversation already in another thread

i do have to admit in some situations drifting would be faster, in corner with a really tight radius (comprable to the length of the car itself) then it's best to just kick out the back straiten up and accelerate out, as opposed to slowing down and doing a really slow turn

you're right in that proper weight transfer is essential to get the fastest cornering speed, but this doesnt mean it's drifting, tho weight transfer is usually a prerequisite of drifting

johnnynumfiv
07-29-2006, 04:44 PM
http://k-mansparts.smugmug.com/photos/70254763-M.jpg
Mad d0r1ft0!

Birdman002
07-29-2006, 07:19 PM
it has major US automakes are entering it

clutch-monkey
07-29-2006, 08:24 PM
it's more entertaining than F1, at any rate lol

Equinox
07-29-2006, 08:35 PM
imagine going to one... the smell of burning rubber... i wonder if you'd get sick from smelling all that smoke and burning rubber for like an hour or two straight

Rockefella
07-29-2006, 11:49 PM
yeah that's REAL humble
I figured someone would be up my ass about that. I was expecting more of a "STFU, Initial D ownz yur aZZ" though.

Daz27
07-30-2006, 01:05 AM
imagine going to one... the smell of burning rubber... i wonder if you'd get sick from smelling all that smoke and burning rubber for like an hour or two straight
Reminds me of all the illegal burnouts myself and my mates used to get up to on weekends... thems were the days...

CAS
07-30-2006, 05:12 AM
Nothing smells better then burned rubber in the morning.

I'm quite found of drifting, friend of me is in the top10 of the belgium/netherlands drift challenge. And it's fun to drive along with him. I'm still in practise mode, and practising with a full standerd E30 2.0i

This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXMmVW3MiCk) is a clip while driving with weight in the thrunk. It was for testing how far I can go without the limited slip diffirential. When going clockwise, there is one tire that loses grip to much and one that keeps having grip...

If there is any intrest I will look for vids of actual drifts.

johnnynumfiv
07-30-2006, 06:21 AM
Nothing smells better then burned rubber in the morning.

Racing gas exhaust+ smoke from slicks=heaven
Street tires smell disgusting.

Equinox
07-30-2006, 09:31 PM
If there is any intrest I will look for vids of actual drifts.

that would be cool... if you can find any, it would be cool to post them

CAS
07-31-2006, 08:12 AM
that would be cool... if you can find any, it would be cool to post them
I will try to upload some vids I recorded earlier.

MrKipling
07-31-2006, 08:47 AM
Racing gas exhaust+ smoke from slicks=heaven
Street tires smell disgusting.

I'm pretty certain drifters don't use slicks.... street tires smell great too. I think you might be getting mixed up with the difference between street and race exhaust smells! :)

byronleehk
07-31-2006, 09:07 AM
To me drifting is another form of competition. I'm not into it that much but I'm pretty sure that also takes a lot of talent, efforts and money...just like any other form of racing!

BTW, I've watched those a couple of times on TV. Can anyone please tell me how that works? I mean they race each other twice (changing starting grid) but are they trying to pass each other or what :confused:

johnnynumfiv
07-31-2006, 09:11 AM
I don't think they use slicks either. Street tires smell disgusting to me, and I'm not getting mixed up.

CAS
07-31-2006, 03:30 PM
To me drifting is another form of competition. I'm not into it that much but I'm pretty sure that also takes a lot of talent, efforts and money...just like any other form of racing!

BTW, I've watched those a couple of times on TV. Can anyone please tell me how that works? I mean they race each other twice (changing starting grid) but are they trying to pass each other or what :confused:
How closer you get to your opponent (the other car :p) the more points you get.

I use Uniroyal to drift, don't know the exact type so I uploaded a pic, the one on the right are good for drifting.

CAS
08-01-2006, 02:43 PM
As promised: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaOjusbEnIQ

It's a quite large file, I think about 50mb. It was 60mb on the pc, but that was with good quality...

johnnynumfiv
08-02-2006, 06:18 PM
Here's a short clip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slJvMsqLIB4

Equinox
08-02-2006, 08:42 PM
thanks johnnynumfiv for the shorter clip... its easier for my 'wonderful' *cough* dailup connection.

johnnynumfiv
08-02-2006, 08:48 PM
Thats not any of his footage tho.
It's the original drifting.:cool:

Here's some more,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-Vt8HTkmUE

whiteballz
08-02-2006, 08:53 PM
if you actually manage to overtake the other car in a drift battle its considered pretty damned "a win".

the things you get points for are

smoke,
angle of attack,
speed,
attitude and setup,
overtaking,
proximity to other car.