PDA

View Full Version : How good is Grant Denyer ?

charged
07-29-2006, 10:40 PM
Was just watching the V8 development series on Channel 10 and was suprised how well Grant drives. For someone who does very little driving away from V8's with all his television commitments. A lot of the people say hes just their because of his media profile but IMHO he can certainly steer a car.After a 4 month break from driving due to media commitments he claimed 4th overall at Queensland. Thoughts anyone ?

I also like him cause he's shorter than me:p

P.S FPV I put this thread in the Australian section and not the racing section as Aussies can probably only comment on him, as our international forum buddies wouldnt have a clue who he is. If you want to move it, no worries

Cheers
John

Equinox
07-29-2006, 10:52 PM
well your right... i have no idea who he is!

but he does sound interesting... does he have a site or anything?

2ndclasscitizen
07-29-2006, 10:56 PM
He goes pretty damn good. And as you said, the little driving he gets to do makes it much more impressive. Has he had a drive in a top level car/team/race at all?

charged
07-29-2006, 11:00 PM
This is what came up on google, he's on heaps of different sites from dancing to V8 Supercars

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=grant+denyer&btnG=Google+Search&meta=cr%3DcountryAU

Equinox
07-29-2006, 11:06 PM
thanks!

pretty impressive

blackhonda
07-29-2006, 11:13 PM
He's a bit of a handy steerer, IMHO. The move he pulled on Luff at the last corner at Mallala last year showed he's no showpony. The fact that he has a high media-profile does him no harm in terms of getting sponsorship I imagine, however his media comittments did curtail his driving efforts earlier this year. Last year at Queensland Raceway I happened to walk past him and asked for a photo (I try to get as many driver photos as I can) and he couldn't have been more obliging. At the Touring Cars at QR last weekend he was at the back of the pits just before the main show on Saturday surrounded by people wanting their photo with him. The girls just love him....lucky bugger:D

2ndclasscitizen
07-29-2006, 11:20 PM
Is he actually as short as he looks?

charged
07-29-2006, 11:30 PM
He's a bit of a handy steerer, IMHO. The move he pulled on Luff at the last corner at Mallala last year showed he's no showpony. Last year at Queensland Raceway I happened to walk past him and asked for a photo (I try to get as many driver photos as I can) and he couldn't have been more obliging. At the Touring Cars at QR last weekend he was at the back of the pits just before the main show on Saturday surrounded by people wanting their photo with him. The girls just love him....lucky bugger:D
Hopefully we are running our cars at the Supercar round at Mallala, so hopefully with have a chat with him in the pits. From what I ve heard he is a top guy and very obliging . Jeez Im sounding very GHEY:eek:

Equinox
07-29-2006, 11:38 PM
Jeez Im sounding very GHEY

no, of course your not... cough, cough:D

blackhonda
07-29-2006, 11:43 PM
The man himself at QR last year, and his car.

blackhonda
07-29-2006, 11:45 PM
Is he actually as short as he looks?
Yes.:D

fpv_gtho
07-30-2006, 02:13 AM
Expect to see a hell of alot more of him next year when the V8's change networks

SlickHolden
07-30-2006, 05:16 AM
I remember when he first started on TV, And i seen him maybe 3-4 years ago in the Utes racing, I had a chuckle when i seen his name thinking thats not him:D.
Time went on and he has moved forward and away from the little league;).

fpv_gtho
07-30-2006, 06:03 AM
I was trying to think before if one of the back of the grid teams had picked him up for the enduro's, and DJR was popping to mind for some reason

charged
07-30-2006, 06:06 AM
He races out of the DJR stable, so odds on he will be in a DJR car for the enduros

gt4forever
07-30-2006, 06:08 AM
lots of race car drivers are short. nascar guys are usually just 5'7 or so. it helps to be smaller so you don't add much weight to the car.

fpv_gtho
07-30-2006, 06:12 AM
The V8's though have a bigger window for acceptable driver weight. Theres no point being under 80kg as theres a stipulated minimum weight for both car with, and without driver. The only person whos really ever struggled with even that much leeway is Steven Johnson

2ndclasscitizen
07-30-2006, 06:16 AM
The only person whos really ever struggled with even that much leeway is Steven Johnson
And that's just because he's huge.

acemotorsport
07-30-2006, 07:02 AM
not sideways

fpv_gtho
07-30-2006, 07:09 AM
Well he is a bit fat. His dad wouldnt have him under so much pressure to lose some weight if it wasnt realistic.

charged
07-30-2006, 07:11 AM
The V8's though have a bigger window for acceptable driver weight. Theres no point being under 80kg as theres a stipulated minimum weight for both car with, and without driver. The only person whos really ever struggled with even that much leeway is Steven Johnson
I dont reckon that Denyer and Johson could team up in the Enduros anyway as Denyer 5ft6in and Steve is well over 6 foot think more 6"3, Denyer would need a pillow and blocks on the pedals, which doesnt make heel and toeing easy:p

acemotorsport
07-30-2006, 07:11 AM
but not a beer belly

fpv_gtho
07-30-2006, 07:18 AM
I dont reckon that Denyer and Johson could team up in the Enduros anyway as Denyer 5ft6in and Steve is well over 6 foot think more 6"3, Denyer would need a pillow and blocks on the pedals, which doesnt make heel and toeing easy:p

I'd be interested to see how many teams try and adapt a system like what PMM used in their cars last year with Morris and Radisich. They had the seat adjustable for height and reach

acemotorsport
07-30-2006, 07:19 AM
and air con (adelade 2005)

fpv_gtho
07-30-2006, 07:23 AM
I dont know how well that would work. Some of the teams wind the engines back in order to do a 4 stopper at Bathurst, exchange for some HP, but generally the biggest strain on the drivers is the exhaust and oxygen deprivation at times and the concentration going at days end. Heat generally isnt an issue.

2ndclasscitizen
07-30-2006, 08:10 PM
Well he is a bit fat. His dad wouldnt have him under so much pressure to lose some weight if it wasnt realistic.
I don't really think he'd be fat. If you look at him, he's fairly well built, and it's hard to lose a lot of weight with that sort of build. He's got the 2nd row/flanker build, and they're usually as tall as him and ~120kg, and they aren't fat.