PDA

View Full Version : Le Mans is the best movie ever.

Pitwork
07-30-2006, 10:31 AM
Thats right, I said it. Ever.

Discuss.

johnnynumfiv
07-30-2006, 11:01 AM
I've never seen it. Convince me why I should rent it.

Jack_Bauer
07-30-2006, 11:16 AM
Convince me why I should rent it.

It is without doubt the best and most authentic movie about motorsport ever made. Admittedly that's not saying much as 9/10 motorsport movies are utter shite, but it is definitely the cream of the crop. :p

It uses footage shot on location at the Le Mans circuit, much of it actually from the 1971 24hr race using Steve McQueens own race prepped Porsche as the camera car. All the cars are genuine Le Mans racers like the mighty Porsche 917 that McQueen's character drives, and all the stunt driving is done by some of the great drivers of the time like Jacky Ickx, Jean Pierre Jabouille and Derek Bell.

If you're looking for a great story with great characters and brilliant dialogue then don't bother with it. But if you just enjoy watching mega fast cars being driven superbly in full technicolour with stunning stereo sound then it's well worth a look. It's a petrolheads' dream. :)

lightweight
07-30-2006, 12:14 PM
Thats right, I said it. Ever.

Discuss.

The Le Mans movie has an undeniable purity in its conception.

But, I can't say that I really like it. It is rather boring, as there is no actual plot. It's more boring than an F1 race!:p I can find way better stuff on YouTube

F1_Master
07-30-2006, 05:39 PM
Well, the movie is called Le Mans, and Le Mans doesn't exactly have a story itself.

I must agree. Le Mans is a motorhead's dream. No story that could be a failure, no characters that could become asses, and no cheesey ending.
Just a pure racing movie that should be considered a voice-less documentary. If the race today had no announcers, it would be like watching the movie.:cool:

blackcat77
07-30-2006, 05:47 PM
Steve McQueen plays the role like a manequin. If he would have shown a little emotion, I'd have liked the film a lot better. OTOH, Grand Prix has so much backstory that it sometimes gets in the way of the action -- "Monique, why do you torture me!" -- but I still like it better than LeMans because of the quality and the diversity of the racing sequences.

m5child
07-30-2006, 06:10 PM
I also like the original Gone In 60 Seconds and the original The Italian Job...

KonaGreen
07-30-2006, 07:34 PM
SpeedTribe, is one that I have to get. Front242 did the music, for those of you who like that sort of tune

Deckard
07-30-2006, 09:34 PM
Certainly if you're looking for sharp dialoge, give it a miss as there's about 5 minutes of dialoge in the entire movie!

Saw it recently for the first time (bought the DVD for $10) and will it was good I don't see what the hype is all about.

Equinox
07-30-2006, 10:29 PM
its a good movie... not great

this movie is just about the sport and it focuses on the sport of racing at Le Mans

NSXType-R
07-31-2006, 04:16 AM
I've been looking for it on DVD also, so I'll get back to you when I do watch it. ;) I wish there was Dolby Digital or DTS back then. It would be even better with the sweet roar of the engines. :D

nopassn
07-31-2006, 07:08 AM
if for no other reason, just to hear the quote:

"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

Also, Grand Prix, with James Garner was just release on DVD (finally) and it's very good as well...

RacingManiac
07-31-2006, 08:47 AM
I'll have to pickup Grand Prix one of these days.....

Le Mans though, I watch it for the sound track of the 917 and Ferrari 512s wailing down the Mulsanne straight.....

filerjf
07-03-2012, 09:22 AM
I received my Blu-Ray copy of LeMans from Amazon last week. I can't stop watching it. The Blu-Ray transfer is a work of art and is an absolute must have for anyone interested in vintage racing. This is the best historic racing footage I've ever seen. This story is told through imagery. And a great story it is. It's historically inaccurate and was meant to be. It's a docu-drama and the best racing film ever.

Paulmac
03-28-2013, 01:09 PM
I've just watched a bit of my old video of it......as a film fan, it's not a well-made movie in a lot of ways, and as a racing fan there are stupid bits in it.

Any racing driver worth his salt who was leading on the penultimate lap of a 24 hour race and got a puncture would get to the pits on the bare rim, not just stop and hang his head.

And Delaney pushes the other Ferrari off the track twice when 'helping' his team-mate.

Paul

Matra et Alpine
03-28-2013, 03:14 PM
Agreed Paul unless you are on a track that is 8 and a half miles and a long way from the pits so you know you'll get overtaken. It's not a sprint :)

Must dig out old copy and see where he parked up, don't remember or the laps done by each at the time. Great excuse for watching it again !!

Must look for the Delaney gaff :) However, in amongst the many others it might be hard to spot !!